Mage switch?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
torkur
Sojourner

Mage switch?

Postby torkur » Sat Dec 29, 2001 1:02 am

This could end up being too powerful and maybe a stupid idea without proper tuning, but being an invoker I have noticed just how extra death prone we are. If I wish to kill anything for eq or even xp as an invoker you need to be in a group because we get no protection spells and can't really kill much beyond level 36 or so without them that I've found. We also can't self heal like a cleric or wear most of the spanky-AC eq (even if AC did help on high level mobs). So, in a group, we either have a warrior rescue us, or we flee. In rooms where fleeing is suicide (jot's frost giants come to mind) you get rescued the second a mob switches or you get hit and maybe die from the critical hit they ALWAYS seem to do even with a vit and if you happen to bum a stone. I know plenty of other mages who hate this and I know it's a huge hassle for warriors/clerics as well mid battle trying to keep all 15 people healed up and rescued on switch-happy mobs. I also know there is a lot of emphasis on allowing for depth in rooms, single-file rooms, circular combat, etc which try to add some realism to the game. Finally, add this to the overall emphasis of a huge barbarian warrior with stone,vit,blur,elemental embodiment,etc supposedly being the main pc tank now, and I was wondering if a skill with a small/reasonable chance to switch the mobs back to the intended target might be appropriate? Something like in the new LOTR movie where Gandalf goes from in the front lines, to retreating behind the warriors better able to defend themselves so he can live through it to deal with the spellcasters/demons later? Since the zones seem to get harder and harder and the mobs seems to hit like gods and switch/breath/word/cloud/etc up a storm 2 or 3 times per round, I personally don't think it'd be inappropriate for a mage to have a small chance to retreat behind the fully spelled and intended tank when the lvl 60 Balrog/dragon/whatever takes notice of him. Even if it was like a 25% chance fully practiced for your level, it would help keep some of the casters without 500+ hit points alive longer so we can have fun in a zone without needing 6-8 hours of an exp group to make up the 12 notches we lost even after getting those hard to come by resses.

Just a thought.
Nida
Sojourner

Postby Nida » Sat Dec 29, 2001 1:13 am

Second that motion. God knows Nida doesn't need any more deaths. Image
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Sat Dec 29, 2001 3:39 am

I motion that the author of this article put in carriage returns every couple of sentances.

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Dec 29, 2001 12:35 pm

Nod E:

But as for the idea, i find it very interesting. Basically its a self rescue. Like for instance, if I were fighting the golden warrior in an exp group, and ephrael is my tank, i would use a skill that would allow me to run behind ephrael (who would then take up the tanking).

There are some potential problems though.. If it isn't group only, there is a lot of pkill potential. Also, you might end up having afk tanks dying. Third, there might be a good reason for a tank to not be tanking.. like for instance, he has 30 hitpoints left. This skill could cause spanks because people might use it to jump behind the wrong tank without looking at their conditions.

Basically, if I were to code it, I would make it group only, and not work on tanks that are flagged "afk", or have less than a certain percentage of their hps.

Corth
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Mon Dec 31, 2001 2:31 am

A problem with the original idea, which would cause a mob to switch back to a tank, is that you'd need to alter the combat engine to store the previous target of any combatant in memory. Making it something that allows the switchee to choose a target is more feasible.

------------------
"Maybe I should stop and ask for directions . . ."
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Dec 31, 2001 3:06 pm

We've been through this one topic so many times. One of the best features I've seen in a mud like this idea is the "protect" skill. It allowed the warrior type to pick one player, designate them as protected, then when the mob would try to switch to that player the warrior would automatically "protect" them. If their skill was good enough, the warrior would prevent the mob from being able to get to the protected player, if not, the mob would successfully switch.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Dec 31, 2001 3:22 pm

autorescue does exactly the same Image
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Dec 31, 2001 3:50 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
autorescue does exactly the same Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the "guard" skill at basternae was much better than that.

Since you got one lag-free rescue attempt, at EACH hit on your protector Image

Muergor group-says, "Cherzr guard Draxtt".
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Dec 31, 2001 6:24 pm

I think it would be cool to see Paladins and high lvl warriors (mayve 45+) get a guard skill.
Rivan
Sojourner

Postby Rivan » Mon Dec 31, 2001 9:13 pm

Rylan's just too lazy to tank! :P
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Dec 31, 2001 10:34 pm

Hey, I tank plenty, thanks.. just not on purpose :P

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”