Obtaining a static IP address?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Cruk
Sojourner

Obtaining a static IP address?

Postby Cruk » Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:42 am

Does anyone know how to obtain a static IP address? The reason I'm looking for one is that I want to start up a server in Australia from my parents house so I can download photos from my digital camera onto the harddrive as I travel around Europe. Given I have a 4 mega-pixel camera, hotmail attachments wouldn't do. I have a spare computer which I can connnect to an ADSL line, aswell as a few domain names, but I believe I need an IP address to start a server up. I thought about have a website hosted, but I'll be travelling for 2 years and would prefer to be able to upload the pictures to my own harddrive. :?

Cruk
No I am not Crukk from Exile. He now plays a girly hooman palydork :P

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:48 am

Most ISPs will offer this option, but get ready to fork out some dough too.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:10 pm

Or, you can try one of the following services.

www.no-ip.com
www.dyndns.org

they both offer free or cheap solutions to your problem.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Cruk
Sojourner

Postby Cruk » Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:09 am

Thanks dudes :D
I found out my brother-in-law to be has a spare IP address and he's gonna let me use his! Bah, that the last time I listen to my mom who said the internet was running out of IP addresses and that I would have to pay big bucks to get one(and she is a network administrator for a govt. dept with a multi-million dollar budget).

Cruk

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”