New Equipment Stats?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Nov 16, 2001 8:23 am

Another idea:

Items that are powerful but have a dark side to them, such as the 2h gith sword. Let's say you can invoke the item once a day by saying a keyword, and there's a 50/50 chance that you either cast bigby's fist at your target, or you get damaged down to 10hp yourself. Or a sword that procs nicely, but there's a 10% chance it clouds the group or something. Stuff like that Image
Turgil
Sojourner

Postby Turgil » Fri Nov 16, 2001 9:49 am

How about some more enchantable weapons that have nice die roll? Just my 2 cents

Turgil Telepelen
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 16, 2001 3:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gorgo:
<B>Headband of Human Brain
- modify int/wis to match human's
- stupid evil mage/priest only (ogre/troll)

lets have some eq that modify skill instead. e.g: max up meditate, +20 bash, etc.

better still, lets have eq that give extra ability. like cloak that gives ability to sneak/hide, boots that gives kick ability, etc..</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Extra abilities have been traditionally done for really spanky stuff... but I think admins would find it overpowered to have an ogre that suddenly had all the advantages but none of the disadvantages, due to 1 or 2 pieces of eq. Hide, sneak, etc. eq are in the game.

+20 bash would be insane... a ranger could solo mage mobs. heh... do you realize how much a skill gap is between, say 79 and 99 bash? :P Anyhow, I think the +skill idea is interesting but from what I've seen unlikely to be imped, since the potential for cheeze is there.

I myself am wondering if people would much mind the benefit/offset type eq that Cherz is talking about... I find that cool but potentially annoying as one might have to spend hours getting your stats maxed, balancing -'s and +'s Image Would be interesting.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 16, 2001 5:31 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>Another idea:

Items that are powerful but have a dark side to them, such as the 2h gith sword. Let's say you can invoke the item once a day by saying a keyword, and there's a 50/50 chance that you either cast bigby's fist at your target, or you get damaged down to 10hp yourself. Or a sword that procs nicely, but there's a 10% chance it clouds the group or something. Stuff like that Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, the High Troll actually *wants* to see more clouds? j00 in a masochistic mood today? Image
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Fri Nov 16, 2001 6:21 pm

Well I have been a warrior and a shaman here for some time, but I prefer to play warrior, so here is my "wish-list." Unlike some warriors I don't have a problem being considered a meatshield. Incredible damn is not my thing, as a matter of fact I get smitted by etheral elementals all the time. My idea of a rush is not a proc-athon, but tanking 3 jarls, dragon, dragon handler and king 6 rounds and being at excellent Image But I digress.

How about a 2h slash or 2h blud that procs mirror image and some sort of offensive. Many be a barb only bludgeoner that has mirrior proc and shaman area spell. Have it be a super rare or at the end of zone, or invasion type.

An evil align only 1h slash, proc on crit weapon, akin to rippling.

Something similar to chest plate for evil align. Maybe have it be -con or +saves.

Maybe a 4dam ring that is +saves +ac or +sv.

Priests need a spank legware i think. A new caster eyepatch like purple eyepatch would be nice.

Maybe some +ac +3dam +9agi armware for hitters?

The Kegraider

[This message has been edited by Keran (edited 11-16-2001).]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 16, 2001 8:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Keran:
<B>An evil align only 1h slash, proc on crit weapon, akin to rippling.

Something similar to chest plate for evil align. Maybe have it be -con or +saves.

Maybe a 4dam ring that is +saves +ac or +sv.

Priests need a spank legware i think. A new caster eyepatch like purple eyepatch would be nice.

Maybe some +ac +3dam +9agi armware for hitters?

The Kegraider

[This message has been edited by Keran (edited 11-16-2001).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey bro, contact me sometime, I want to discuss some stuff off the record. =P
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Nov 16, 2001 9:45 pm

Yeah...good point about the need for max_dexterity eq, although max_agi would be cool too.

How about a cloak that is ac12 +1 dam, +9 max_dex? Or possibly even a pair of spanky quest/rare boots that are ac10 +2 dam +4 max_dex, that have a 1/day keyword proc to cast 3 level 50 dexterity spells on you.

A pair of gloves that were ac7 +2 hit +9 max_agi would be cool. Or possibly some leggings made from the hide of an ice behemoth that were ac8 +10 hps +9 max_agi prot cold.

I've been wracking my brain trying to think of decent high level eq that people would actually wear...and it's hard to think of things and compare them to the stuff that's already in the game.

I can say though, that there should be a warrior/rogue only HP ring. Maybe an ac4 +60 hps +4 dex prot acid (there's not enough prot acid eq in the game either!) ring with cool (nonpink) ansi? :P

Bards/battlechanters could use some max_charisma eq, too....once people play them when they get fixed. :P

I'll post when I can think of more stuff!
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Sat Nov 17, 2001 12:37 am

I can think of at least one +10 max_dex item already in the game, and adding more +max_dex items at different equipment slots might enable a human to acheive the same dex as a halfling. The halfling, however, is already at or near the top of the chart (speculation based on observation here) and cannot improve as much. Given an excess of +max_attribute equipment, racial strengths and weaknesses begin to blur into one type of character with maxed out attributes. If my guesses are right, I'd say thats a pretty good reason to make +max_attribute items rare and only grant small increases where they exist.
Kozzloz
Sojourner

Postby Kozzloz » Sat Nov 17, 2001 1:49 am

I have to agree with Cherzra here. I think new items should be balanced. There should be a penalty equal to or nearly equal to the bonus given. Ie +25hp +ss +svb -stats etc...

I haven't read anything else about giving the squids some lovin. Everyone always seems to forget about them when new eq is made. I think a good squid item would be +hp Max_Pow -str of somethin like that.

Anyway this is my 2c.
Laxlez
Sojourner

Postby Laxlez » Sat Nov 17, 2001 5:34 pm

Well, while we're throwing some newer ideas out there, I just wait to say that I've always wished there could be sentient weapons out there.. Like a 1h sword that completely owns.. and procs something like Windsong, but once you wield it, you can't unwield it until the sword's desire for blood has been satiated (perhaps by a number of mob-levels, so that it isn't twinked).. and if it gets thirsty for more, it will make you aggro to all mobs.. or random mobs.. So that it's dangerous to ever wield!
(yes, that idea is pretty much stolen from a particular sword in a particular series of books Image)

Or a weapon that adds/subtracts hit/dam as you kill more, or kill less..

Or a weapon that morphs from an axe to a mace and back..

Or a weapon that ventriloquates you in says/gsays.. hehe..

Or one that when you fumble it, there's a chance that it will run away if it doesn't like you.. Perhaps if you're a druid and you've killed an animal with it.. or if you're a paly and you've killed anything other than evil.. or if you're a rogue and you haven't been backstabbing enough.. whatever..

Yes, I do realize that this would all require coding, as opposed to just creating an item.. but damned if it wouldn't be fun!

-laxlez

[This message has been edited by Laxlez (edited 11-17-2001).]
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Sat Nov 17, 2001 6:46 pm

caster leggings

1 x a week fshield or cshield shield for warriors :P weight 60 + hp too :P

+max skill *whistle*

0reseffect bracelet of the gods
hmmf ok I will come back latter w/better ideas :P
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Mon Nov 19, 2001 3:26 pm

A sentient sword/axe/sumpin' with aggro attitude.

(1) Forces you to shout (or shouts itself) at random intervals. "(wieldername) cannot be killed! ROAR!" "Test my will and lose your life, lowly scum!" "All (evil/good/neutral/race) beings are wussies!"

(2) Auto-aggros mobs that are not the same alignment (or race?) as the sword prefers.

(3) Random proc makes it !drop and !remove temporarily (for like, 5 mins?)

(4) May for 2-4 rounds after it crits cause berserk mode, +5hit +5dam, +20 ac (bad) and no fleeing

(5) Random proc of vampiric touch-type effect (heal as you hit)

(6) If wielded by the wrong align/race, would allow it but become !remove !drop until remove curse cast upon it, would be -5 -5 and shout offensive things Image

These could of course be split onto different weapons or items, just some fun thoughts - I've seen a shouting weapon on another mud that was really great fun. Mucho coding work I suppose? *shrug* Just a suggestion Image

Vadian / Vade
Ruagh
Sojourner

Postby Ruagh » Wed Nov 21, 2001 10:55 am

I have 2 ideas.

1. Implement Drow Pivafvi cloak, which procs Hide only when at dark room (not on daylight) and has some -svs on it. I think this idea is worth implementing in Menzo... If it'll EVER come out.

2. Create a sword which will summon a pet to fight for your cause. Even with a small chance for this, it'll add RP flavour...

------------------
Ruagh The Curious Troll pokes his long nose into another none-of-his-business matter here
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Nov 21, 2001 4:09 pm

hp, hit/dam items that are better than the ones in the game currently but have major minuses. dont escalate items.

85 hp ring -25 con. 30 hp sleeves, + 6 ss. 20 hp earrings -15 int/wis. 45 hp on body ELFCON or HALFLINGSTR. 4 dam ring -9 con/agi/dex/str. 3/2 ring -9 agi/dex. 3 dam leggings -25 agi. 2/2 earrings -25 hps.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Nov 21, 2001 5:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vipplin:
<B>A sentient sword/axe/sumpin' with aggro attitude.

(1) Forces you to shout (or shouts itself) at random intervals. "(wieldername) cannot be killed! ROAR!" "Test my will and lose your life, lowly scum!" "All (evil/good/neutral/race) beings are wussies!"

(2) Auto-aggros mobs that are not the same alignment (or race?) as the sword prefers.

(3) Random proc makes it !drop and !remove temporarily (for like, 5 mins?)

(4) May for 2-4 rounds after it crits cause berserk mode, +5hit +5dam, +20 ac (bad) and no fleeing

(5) Random proc of vampiric touch-type effect (heal as you hit)

(6) If wielded by the wrong align/race, would allow it but become !remove !drop until remove curse cast upon it, would be -5 -5 and shout offensive things Image

These could of course be split onto different weapons or items, just some fun thoughts - I've seen a shouting weapon on another mud that was really great fun. Mucho coding work I suppose? *shrug* Just a suggestion Image

Vadian / Vade</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahahaha... the weapon of doom... its wielder's doom that is.
Djaarrukan
Sojourner

Postby Djaarrukan » Wed Nov 21, 2001 6:39 pm

Hiyas.. Would like more shaman specific gear. Also, the idea (dunno who first had it) of +skill items would be really cool. Plus it would be in line with the direction the mud is taking in terms of building skills and not ratcheting up the hit/dam.

My shaman or my rogue could use +offense or +dodge gear. Or why not +spellcast heal or +spellcast spirit? Throw in a little bit of ac. Doesn't really matter which slot is used. Although I would like a shaman held item. Not like I can hit anything anyway.

Toodles

Dj
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Wed Nov 21, 2001 6:42 pm

Cyric.

More items with spell effects that are dependant upon a limited number of charges, and subsequently increase the amount of charges items get. Ex. Goggles with 10-20 charges of SL/DI/DM/DE/or DG.

Less perm spell effect items.

Less duration limited spell effect items. (Ex. 1/day items)

Proc'n weapons that can only proc a limited number of times and then need to be recharged.

10p = 1 charge being restored to the item.

Say GCD procs total of 100 times, and it just hit 100. To get all charges restored, would cost 10x100=1,000 platinum.

This brings up interesting ideas if weapons who proc more should have more or less total number or procs? Perhaps some items could even be given even more powerful procs because of the ability to limit how many times it could be used? Limiting duration of the spell effect as well. Perhaps goggles that proc the squid darkness spell for 3 mins, but can only have 1 charge and aren't that easy to get? How unbalancing would they, or similar handicap removing items, become?

I surmise someone would need to develope a system for balance on this type of issue.
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Fri Nov 23, 2001 3:19 am

Been wracking my brain for new items, and it seems that everyone has some good ideas.

I'd like to see more held items, like nebbie or jewel encrusted egg. Make it -hit/dam and +hps, maybe instead of hps give it perm DI/senselife or prots.

Maybe more items that summon pets, like para-mental or gnoll, except make it so that the item can be used unlimited times with a delay on how often you can summon the pet. Obviously the pet shouldn't be able to do much, but I'd love to walk around WD with a big cat at my side. Could be a quest to get the item, and then another quest to get the keyword to activate it.

Also, it seems that goodies need more mageable eyewear, maybe something like +10hps with pfc or blur spell 1/day.

More items that are class specific that cast the spells of the class that wears them would be nice, useable a certain # of times per day.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Nov 23, 2001 8:01 am

An evil only 1hander that procs on crits, we don't have any.

And not a sword!
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Nov 25, 2001 9:34 pm

Hrm...an item that has wb/prot fire on it, that doesn't take up a good slot, or has these effects in addition to the stats. I don't see any really good quivers in the game (I may be wrong)....so what about making a superspanky 2/2 wb/pff quiver on the main boss mob in a zone?

Addition: Make it hold a decent amount of arrows weightless...dunno a good # to suggest....considering I don't know arrow weights...if arrows are 10 per lb, then make it hold 100 lbs weightless. *shrug* Image

[This message has been edited by Yasden (edited 11-25-2001).]
Allycis
Sojourner

Postby Allycis » Mon Nov 26, 2001 3:09 am

How about some cool bard wear..It's the worst class in the game...how about an instrument weapon combination item? it'd have to be drum if you wanted bchanters to be able to use it to...
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Nov 26, 2001 11:21 am

id like to see some zones that are easier than the top end zones currently in. The eq coming from these zones should mimic eq from top end zones but have have disadvantages that separate it from the top end eq.

Like an Amy ring with -5 int/wis + 4 ss out of a zone with the same difficulty or a little easier than IC vault. Design the zone so that a level 50 group of 9 cant run it in less than 45 minutes but a level 40 group of 12-15 can do it in 90 minutes. The concept is that the level 50 group wouldnt bother, but the low level groups would do it.
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Tue Nov 27, 2001 12:20 am

A substitute to amy ring.

Maybe a +hp +dam ring?
Altan
Sojourner

Postby Altan » Tue Nov 27, 2001 12:32 pm

I have a curiosity question, Why not just add an extra eq slot, dependant apon the class. For instance.. Rouges could have a sash/veil around their face, like a true mask. Clerics could maybe have an extra belt item. Mages could possibly have an extra waist slot. Warrior might possibly have a spare leggings spot. so on so forth. Just an Idea, corse each class would have to be different, Hell, snakes don't GET as many slots, why can't it be dependant apon the class, you know a rogue might carry a poopload of baubles and twine, but a warrior may carry a WHOLE lot more heavy stuff, swords and stuff, so why not reflect it in the eq slots, as well as we could.
I am NOT slamming anyone, just thought i'd throw this out. Thanks for reading Image

Altan

[This message has been edited by Altan (edited 11-27-2001).]
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Nov 27, 2001 1:20 pm

I'd like to see some human only or good only spanky stuff.. us good aligned humans kinda get screwed out of the best +hp items and the cool procing hammers Image
Ephrael
Sojourner

Postby Ephrael » Thu Nov 29, 2001 4:22 am

Well i don't know a lot about needed caster gear in the game, but like was said earlier.. definitely need more nice +HP gloves.. it's kind of silly seeing a high level caster wearing leather gloves or something similar because they are waiting in line for ogrehides

As for tanks/hitters i have quite a few suggestions:

neckwear ac10 +2dam +10hps (not much neckwear with good ac and decent hit/dam)
eyepatch +2dam prot cold (not many good eyepatch options in game, and of course prot cold is needed on more items)
earring +1dam +15hps infra (hitters only, need more options for infra gear)
cloak with hps and hit/dam
1hand weapon with nice stats and proc that is a regular load, yet kinda hard to get.. most the good 1handers are quests or rare
rings with +hps and ac or hit/dam are a great idea for tanks
definitely need more +agi and +dex wear that people would want to wear

like a lot of other people have mentioned, it gets old seeing the majority of high level people wearing the same eq.. a nice variety of eq with similar stats would really liven things up a bit.. someone mentioned being able to get restrings on some items.. i think that is a great idea also, ex: paying a set price or accomplishing small quests to have an item restrung.. it also gives the players more of a chance to use their creativity to better make a RP identity for themselves and be able to enjoy feeling a little unique instead of being the same as the next warrior etc.

thanks for the opportunity to share in creating new toys!

Ephrael, Warrior from the Light
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Thu Nov 29, 2001 6:58 am

My suggestions:

With the advent of hitroll being modified by dexterity, there is a need for +dex eq (I mean, those rings from astral are nice, but they can get boring) among the hitters and tanks out there (either +hps and tank type only, or +hit/dam and hitter type only). One idea would be a ring ac5 +2dam +9dex !mage !cle (this is only a small step up from the fairly easy onyx and blue earthy rings). For some, however, it would effectively be +1+2 (or make it boots, or...). Another example would be a belt: ac10 +15hps +4dex (though that makes it a bit of a caster item).

This would ease up on the "slot angst" that all warrior/hitter types go through, trying to get those notches (If I got sunstones I could get a new shield, etc...), and resulting in 30+hour rolling sessions (I know I rolled for a couple days, with breaks, for my paladin :P)

+agi equipment on hitter eq would be neat to see as well, allowing for better AC and the like. Similar to above.

A decent mage-able belt that _isn't_ attractive to hitter types (or at least !war !rog). As is, many of us have that thing from DP (I think), or the fur belt from Jot. The belt from roots as well as invasion are coveted for tanking types. Something like: ac3 +20hps -2sv_para !war !rog might be neat (not sure if I'm duplicating another item, and don't really care :P).

Items that give saves all over the board, along with the usual for that slot.

I can't even remember, off the top of my head, what the five save types are right now. Why even bother having all those saves, if only sv_sp and sv_br are ever worn (intentionally)? I guess with the addition of these items, it might be worth adding procs or spells/abilities that make the other saves beneficial. Make thrym's para proc saveable and dependant on sv_para, that would guarantee people would aim for that equipment at least. Make the lich-procs in ribcage saveable, based on an appropriate save type (something other than sv_sp). Err, sorry for that OT bit. *chuckle*

A spellbook with stats good enough for it to be held would be neat, as well. Those books from some big quest (we'll leave it unnamed for the time being) are decent, but not quite enough to replace a nebula. I've always loved the RP idea of playing a mage that enters battle holding a spellbook and wielding a staff of "power". Perhaps: 200 pages, +25hps -4sv_sp (that would compete with a starseed nebula imo), or require a decent spellbook to be handed in for it (writhing runes perhaps) and make it 200 pages +30hps +4max_int -2sv_sp +2sv_bre (essentially a nebula). You get the idea. The only real advantage to be had is that there is no more fishing for spellbooks in your bags (those triggers, eh?).

Some "magic rings" of the type found in pen-and-paper roleplaying would be cool. At the moment I can only think of three or four (levitate, pfc, used to be an "awareness" ring, and PFF I think) A ring of invisibility. A ring of teleportation (dim door). A ring of protection (casts armor perhaps). A ring of summoning (either elementals, elementalist only; or as the cleric spell, cleric only) A ring of wishes (duck!). These could be equivalent to current hitter/caster items, but with a sayable proc to trigger a spell, or "invokable" like some other items. This would lead to people actually wearing them, and not just to comply with the new code forcing 1/period code for activatable items.

I don't think much I've suggested will result in significant "inflation" of equipment quality on the mud, but it does lead to some alternatives.

Oh, and give us more cool ansi!

Regards,
Jorus
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Thu Dec 27, 2001 4:02 pm

sorry Image
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:23 am

Hello all, first post on this board.

I am a newbie to Soj3 so i have no idea on what kind of stats are needed the most. But i think it would sorta cool to have a quest to have a piece of equipment made. Say you have to get several parts or pieces from across the mud and bring it to a dwarf or someone who fashions a piece of armor. Or maybe something that you put together yourself (ex for a ammy, the chain, the setting, the jewel), Maybe you could insert one of several different types of pieces, and it gets a different type of bonus. For example, for an ammy you could insert a emerald and it is a dex/agility, insert a ruby and it can be +hp, diamond could be +saving throws. Whadda ya'll think? Probably too hard to code yes/no?

Aram the novice paladin

P.S. thx to all the people who gave me hookups in equipment =)

My
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:53 pm

My $0.012...
I just want to see the cheezy Gleaming Holy Longsword set back to its original name...
the Lost Sword of Cymrych Hugh!
I miss that... and it fits with the whole storyline so much better... Especially since the sword Tristam carries WAS Cymrych Hughs'...
That, and Podville... But that's ANOTHER thread Image

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Mon Dec 31, 2001 2:53 pm

Boots...we need a bigger assortment of boots! think hit points and cleric!

cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Dec 31, 2001 2:56 pm

Ebony needs to be renamed back to sword of tormenting... Ebony induces yawning...
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Jan 04, 2002 8:11 pm

Bailaikasan is Imelda Marcos in disguise, she was on the 11th step of her 12 step shoe recovery program, but with the request for new equ out.... Its back to the beginning.

Toplack (also in desparate need of hp's, if you have any to spare, I'm accepting donations)

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”