Linux Distros

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Wobb
Sojourner

Linux Distros

Postby Wobb » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:26 am

So, linux Gurus, what are the distros of choice?

I have redhat and Mandrake running on a couple of different boxes, and I plan on loading Debian here in a few days, (on the current Mandrake Box).

I've heard great things about Debian, and am looking forward to it. If it was out, I would load pimp linux, but apparently that's gonna be a while.

http://www.pimplinux.com/

Hehe my favorite part is:
It is my hope that I can impart some of the knowledge that I have gained in my travels onto the users of Pimp Linux, as when you get right down to it, System Administrators are Pimps in a sense themselves ;)

Think about it; You control your systems and tell them what to do and when you do it, You take care of them and do what you can to get them working when they are not, You replace the ones that do not work, Make a living selling and renting out the use of them and there talents and abilities (DNS, Shell accounts, Hosting..) either for long or small amount of time, depending on what is needed and paid for, You have to make sure your clients dont try to abuse your systems/network (ie, Make sure crackers dont smack up ya hoes), You have to watch for other system administrators wanting to take your job or systems, And sometimes large amounts of money exchange hands..

Hehe gotta love it. Anyways, any other distros I should check out? Basically running LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP (and perl)).

Wobb
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Desktop OS or Server OS?

Postby Azenilsee » Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:27 am

What about FreeBSD?
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:59 am

Slackware
Redhat
(Mandrake go out of business?)
Debian
and others. I prefer slackware, but i'm cool like that.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:01 am

I HAEV RED HOT LUNIX. IT SI A SUPAR DUPAR OPARATEING SYSTEM.

I just wish I knew how to use it a wee bit better. Meaning at all.

- Grungar "Jeffk is my hero" Forgefire
Bilraex
Sojourner

Postby Bilraex » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:02 pm

ahh the linux distros wars are always fun.

Debian > all

Redhat, Mandrake are great distros and really good for noobs but the package management system is crap.

If you like nice plain vanilla distro then Slackware rocks.

If youre looking for soomething that is easy to use, has the best support in the world, and has the best package management system then Debian is what you want.

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:05 pm

Personally I like FreeBSD

Aquick google search finds this page though for linux http://www.distrowatch.com/
Gromsharulaz
Sojourner

Postby Gromsharulaz » Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:30 pm

I've messed about with RH, Mandrake and Suse but never really liked 'em. The current distro of choice is Gentoo, linux with a BSD ports style of package management.

- Gromsharulaz Darkmace, Insane Derro of the Underdark.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”