for digital photographers

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Teyaha
Sojourner

for digital photographers

Postby Teyaha » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:46 am

just announced.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/canon ... 0d_pr.html

yeah i'll be buying one. it fixes a lot of the problems my current camera has.

if anyone was considering going digital, but has never been impressed with the compact cameras but didnt want to spend an arm and a leg to get all the features of an SLR, this is THE camera.

released a few days early though, but oh well!!!
Alomlim
Sojourner

Postby Alomlim » Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:20 am

This linked page is now blank... what's the camera model? Canon something er nother?
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:32 am

not blank, just overloaded. try again in a few minutes.

canon eos 10d.
kanenan
Sojourner

Postby kanenan » Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:19 pm

i do alot of photography/flas shite.. that camera kix ass!
stuff.
Dlur
Sojourner

Postby Dlur » Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:50 pm

List price of only $1200 too! I'll just um sell one of my computers or my kid to science or something to buy one. Maybe they'd take trade-in on a car? I've got a couple of those that I don't use atm.
Ghimok|Dlur|Emeslan|Ili|Zinse|Teniv
*~~~~~~~~~~*
"Censorship is telling a man he can't eat a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:34 pm

uh, list price is 1999.95. i think cost will be around 1650 but i'll konw next week at pma. i'm buying the first one off the truck when we get 'em :) just sold my D60
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:48 pm

How is the dynamic range compared to film SLR's? I know digicams typically are handcuffed by their lack of dynamic range.. what's the good word?
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:15 pm

it's about the same as shooting slide film. the new fuji superccd's with two diodes per photosite solve that problem, but only in consumer cameras
Valke
Sojourner

Postby Valke » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:38 pm

I take pictures.

...........................Grp..........doesnt.....
Drakkoth
Sojourner

Postby Drakkoth » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:22 pm

Tey.

I'm a digital novice. I've got a Nikon 5700 which I'm not very happy with. I was about to buy the D100, but then someone told me about the Fuji S2 Pro.

Now I am hearing good things about that upcoming Canon, but I do have some nice Nikon glass which, from what I have read, I can use in both the Fuji and the Nikon digitals (28-70 EDIF-AFS, 80-400 ED-AF, 105 AF Micro), although I'm willing if the end result is that much better.

Cost is not an issue, although the last time I said that I got pointed towards the EOS-1DS, and it's hard to believe that's 6 grand better than these other three. I would however be okay with the D1X.

Any opinions or suggestions?
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:37 am

it's actually a no brainer. you would lose a lot more money than you realize if you switch systems.

the 5700 is a piece of crap. focuses slower than sok heals.

go for the s2. you wont be disappointed.
Drakkoth
Sojourner

Postby Drakkoth » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:33 pm

Thanks, Tey. On your advice, and a little research on this site www.dpreview.com that someone gave me, I ordered that S2 up on adoramaphoto.com. *Crosses fingers.*
Dlur
Sojourner

Canon Powershot G2

Postby Dlur » Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:12 pm

Right now I've got a Kodak DX3900. It was moderately mediocre until it got dropped once. It still takes pretty decent pictures indoors, but it overexposes every single outdoor picture now. I think I hosed a sensor when it got dropped.

Anywas summer is just around the corner and I'll need to be taking lots of pictures of the kid outdoors as this will be his first summer outside.

I've been looking around, and it seems that the Canon Powershot G2 is a pretty good value for the quality. I realize that there is a G3 out now as well, but for $100 more I'm not sure if it's worth it to go from a 3x to 4x optical zoom, when in all reality I can purchase optional lenses that would allow me to do telephoto stuff if I wanted to right?

The other camera I've been looking at is the Canon PowerShot S45, which is a little more compact but doesn't have the options available to it that the G2 does, nor does it have the ability to snap photos as fast.

Any input from Teyaha as to whether it's worth the extra $100 to upgrade to a G3 when the G2 appears to do everything that I can think of that I'd ever want.

*~~~~~~~~~~*

"Censorship is telling a man he can't eat a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain
Cruk
Sojourner

Postby Cruk » Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:31 pm

This maybe a noobie digital photography question, but how do I fit more photos to my memory card? I have a 4megapixel canon S45 and a 32MB memory which is a bit inadequte(I've ordered 2 lexar 512MB CF on e-bay). Is it better to drop the resolution or a higher compression format?

Cruk[/img]
Dlur
Sojourner

New Camera

Postby Dlur » Tue May 13, 2003 3:07 am

I just picked this up: http://h20022.www2.hp.com/busprod/overv ... arLayId=63 after seeing it in action at an HP University event. I got it for quite a bit less than the listed $499 through our distribution channels.

I made the decision to go with an HP camera after having a Canon S45 on back-order for 3 months and still seeing no signs of ever getting it. I looked at Kodaks too but haven't had much luck with those yet. For a few examples of what this camera can do for picture quality (keep in mind I'm a horrible photographer) check out either of these:

Outdoors(I know it's a bad shadow): http://www.homelandmud.org/Jim/gallery/ ... d=HPIM0011

Indoors(my kid climing the stairs): http://www.homelandmud.org/Jim/gallery/ ... d=HPIM0019

Not too bad for having been scaled down from 2272x1712 to 800x600.

*~~~~~~~~~~*

Nokie
Sojourner

Re: for digital photographers

Postby Nokie » Sat May 17, 2003 5:02 pm

Teyaha wrote:yeah i'll be buying one. it fixes a lot of the problems my current camera has.

if anyone was considering going digital, but has never been impressed with the compact cameras but didnt want to spend an arm and a leg to get all the features of an SLR, this is THE camera.

Just just ordered one this past Thursday too from Amazon. They said that it probalby wouldn't shop until the end of June, but I got an email w/tracking number stating that it shipped yesterday (Friday) just one day after I placed the order! k-rad!

I called Wolf/Ritz camera and they told me there was a waiting-list 1,200 long for it.
Dlur
Sojourner

Re: for digital photographers

Postby Dlur » Sun May 18, 2003 3:07 am

Nokie wrote:Just just ordered one this past Thursday too from Amazon. They said that it probalby wouldn't shop until the end of June, but I got an email w/tracking number stating that it shipped yesterday (Friday) just one day after I placed the order! k-rad!

I called Wolf/Ritz camera and they told me there was a waiting-list 1,200 long for it.

Sweet! Does this mean I can look forward to even more and even better pictures on Leased Territories of your travels? I check your site out about every other week and I must say that I'm often amazed by the quality and content of your pictures man.

*~~~~~~~~~~*

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”