Someone else wants an ass-whooping, too

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Daz
Sojourner

Someone else wants an ass-whooping, too

Postby Daz » Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:02 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/e ... index.html

North Korea has reactivated its five-megawatt nuclear reactor at Yongbyon, a sign Pyongyang is going ahead with its nuclear weapons program.

The news also comes as North Korea issued a warning to its military and citizens to prepare themselves for a large-scale attack by the United States that could include a pre-emptive nuclear strike.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/e ... index.html

"The situation of the Korean Peninsula is reaching the brink of a nuclear war," the statement, issued by the official Korean Central News Agency, says.

The North also called on South Koreans to "wage a nationwide anti-U.S. and anti-war struggle to frustrate the U.S. moves for a nuclear war."
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:12 pm

But you forgot the best part:

CNN.com wrote:China says the United States must deal with Pyongyang equally on a one-to-one basis.

Thats right, the country that is "appauled" by our unilateral action in Iraq, and is angered by our attempts to police the world, now thinks that we must work unilaterally with North Korea, even though they represent no threat to us and a truly serious threat to China in having nuclear weapons. Is it any wonder why the U.S. is distrustful of the other countries in the world?
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:58 pm

thanuk wrote:even though they represent no threat to us

I wouldn't say "no" threat.

A north korean single nuke on China, South Korea or Japan, wiping our a small city, would pretty much create a huge impact on the global financial market, that the US economy would see a severe recession.

That part of the world is more important for the US economy than Europe when it comes to exports/imports.
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:50 pm

Jegzed wrote:

A north korean single nuke on China, South Korea or Japan, wiping our a small city, would pretty much create a huge impact on the global financial market, that the US economy would see a severe recession.

That part of the world is more important for the US economy than Europe when it comes to exports/imports.

Stupid American sez "Uhm, but since they are actually pointing the gun at China, South Korea, and Japan, shouldn't THEY be the countries who deal with North Korea?"

Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:35 pm

thanuk wrote:
Jegzed wrote:

Stupid American sez "Uhm, but since they are actually pointing the gun at China, South Korea, and Japan, shouldn't THEY be the countries who deal with North Korea?"

Do you seriously not know WHY the US must defend S.Korea or Japan? (I'll be nice and explain it then.. :)

I don't have time to write a long explanation, but try to read up on three vital topics, and you'll understand why US is pretty much forced to deal with this issue, and why S.Korea and Japan can't.

1) The Japanese Constitution which the US enforced upon them, and how it affects their military capability.

2) Korean War in the 50's. (And more specifically, the lack of a peace treaty.)

3) The amount of americans of korean, chinese and japanese descent in USA
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:54 pm

Yeah i know we have serious restrictions on Japanese military, but i dont see how that means that we have to provide economic aide to North Korea. I see my mistake is that i based my statements on a premise that i assumed and did not explain, so let me try again.

In assuming that all North Korea really wants is economic aide in the form of food, medical supplies and oil, and that they are only trying to develop nuclear weapons because they represent a bargaining chip to acquire these things, shouldn't it be South Korea, China, and Japan who are doing the bargaining, since they are the countries to which North Korea poses the greatest threat?

And if we are all going to act "multilaterally" like we are in Iraq, shouldn't this be addressed by the U.N. nuclear disarmament council instead of the United States? Surely our great international government has jurisdiction over a problem such as this. So someone get Iran(cough) on the phone, and tell them to fulfill their duties as head of the comission for nuclear disarmament. Or is it that we all already know that the U.N. has no power to act, and so we turn to the only country who does? An amusing paradox of the current Iraqi situation in the least.

rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:53 pm

Thanuk, I think Iran is head of the *cough* Human Right Committe *cough*
not the disarmament committe. Iraq is in line to be chair of that one... :roll:
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:55 pm

rylan wrote:Thanuk, I think Iran is head of the *cough* Human Right Committe *cough*

Im pretty sure Libya is the head of the human rights committee, who replaced us after the UN kicked us off that committee. Iraq is next in line to chair the nuclear disarmament comittee, because it goes in alphabetical order. Iran is the current chair. I might have the comittees reversed, but im pretty sure that i dont. Of course, i was already wrong about mr. rogers and cap'n kangaroo today:)

Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:39 pm

Jegzed wrote: A north korean single nuke on China, South Korea or Japan, wiping our a small city, would pretty much create a huge impact on the global financial market, that the US economy would see a severe recession.

Aren't we already in a pretty bad recession?
:?
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:50 pm

Musi wrote:
Aren't we already in a pretty bad recession?
:?

Not really. We are definately in a recession, but the only reason it seems so bad is because of the unbridled economic growth in the 1990s. Alot of people actually thought we could just go on that way forever, but reality checked in. The recession in the 1980s was much worse, its just that this time the recession comes after a serious economic boom, so it seems bad compared to the last 10 years. In the macroeconomic sense, this recession was to be expected. Not much comfort if your unemployed, but dont worry; our economy isnt spiraling down into the abyss, this is all part of a long-term cycle.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:40 pm

A few comments..

Causing damage to the world economy is not the typical argument against nuclear war. Something about millions of people dying instantaneously...

Japan can certainly defend itself. Read this.

Now lets get things straight. Libya runs the UN human rights committee. Iran and Iraq head up the UN disarmament committee. America is heading up the UN is irrelevent committee.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:14 pm

[quote="Jegzed]
1) The Japanese Constitution which the US enforced upon them, and how it affects their military capability.

[/quote]

Jegzed you do realize that S. Korea and Japan both spend more money on defense then the North? At one point in the 1980's Japan was spending more on defense than anyone but the US and Russia. And that Japan is free to make constitutional ammendments that let it send forces overseas to fight? Also most military advisors believe that South Korea (without US help) could defeat the North, although the lose of life to civilians would be great.

I think it was a great point, why does everyone want us to unilaterly deal with N. Korea, but get everyone's opinion on Iraq...
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:21 pm

thanuk wrote:
rylan wrote:Thanuk, I think Iran is head of the *cough* Human Right Committe *cough*

Im pretty sure Libya is the head of the human rights committee, who replaced us after the UN kicked us off that committee. Iraq is next in line to chair the nuclear disarmament comittee, because it goes in alphabetical order. Iran is the current chair. I might have the comittees reversed, but im pretty sure that i dont. Of course, i was already wrong about mr. rogers and cap'n kangaroo today:)

Actually your both wrong. Libya chairs the Human Rights. Iraq will be be chair next year of the disarmament committee, and Iran isn't the current chair, but will be Iraq's co-chair. Government by automatic rotation by alphabetical order rules.

Edit: left out disarmament!
Last edited by belleshel on Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:25 am

belleshel wrote:Actually your both wrong. Libya chairs the Human Rights. Iraq will be be chair of the next year, and Iran isn't the current chair, but will be Iraq's co-chair. Government by automatic rotation by alphabetical order rules.

ding ding ding!
You're the winner

Nuke em all I say
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:53 am

libya = human rights, iran and iraq = disarmament.

and the human rights committee isn't rotation. Libya was *elected*
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:44 pm

Corth wrote:libya = human rights, iran and iraq = disarmament.

and the human rights committee isn't rotation. Libya was *elected*

Actually human rights is a rotation, its regional rotation, this past session was the African Unions turn, from which Libya won the election.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:05 pm

belleshel wrote:
Actually human rights is a rotation, its regional rotation, this past session was the African Unions turn, from which Libya won the election.

It still counts as winning an election when no one runs against you?

Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:17 pm

thanuk wrote:
belleshel wrote:

It still counts as winning an election when no one runs against you?

sure it does, just ask saddam.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:00 pm

Jegzed wrote:

Yeah! Where the hell am I going to get my Nikes from then?
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:28 pm

No purpose is served
By such flaming and posting
Why did I read this?

-Brought to you by MoriHaiku.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:41 pm

Uhm...i dont really see any flaming going on in this thread at all, more like a discussion about the N. Korea situation that dissolved into an argument over who is chairing which UN committee, but i guess you gotta type something if u want to pad ur post count eh mori?:)

There is no flaming
The poet is confused
Haiku is stupid

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:16 pm

OK Belleshel, I think we're getting somewhere. Yes, the human rights committee rotates, but only by region. The actual chair of the committee is elected by the entire UN. It was Africa's turn, and the region recomended Libya, which was in turn, ratified by the General Assembly. On the other hand, the disarmament committee rotates without election purely on an alphabetical basis. Thus, Iran and Iraq are currently the co-chairs of the committee.

Corth

Goddamned slippery mage.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:24 pm

I think the U.N. should look into forming an Ethics committee, so that countries like Libya can't use their position as a chairman of a board like human rights as bargaining chips in side-deals. "Oh I guess we could overlook your blatant abuse of human life, mr. Hussein, if the price of oil in Libya was to drop a few dollars a barrel..." But then again, the chairmen of that committee would probably do the same thing, which is why the U.N. is descending into uselessness:)

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:27 pm

No stupidity
The poet was killing time
Thread still seems silly.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:29 am

I whap moritheil
for posting here far too much
with crappy haiku
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:34 am

Kallinar goes moo
because you all needed it
You all need some help
Kallinar goes MOO
Confucious say: He who walk around with hand in pocket feel kockie all day.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”