number of players, up time

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
kiryan
Sojourner

number of players, up time

Postby kiryan » Mon Jan 14, 2002 6:12 pm

Hmm, remember reading a post recently from miax about how he expects the mud to grow again, possibly to the days of 400 players.

What are 400 players going to do during 40 hour boots? Couple days ago it booted just before prime time and crypts, cc, jot, brass, and tf were whacked by hour 8. Evils are up to/real close to 2 full zone groups. Goodies have easily have 2 full zone groups. Yea there are lots of other zones, most of them suck, but essential eq people wear comes mostly from about 6 zones. how much longer would it take to knock nizari, sg, ic vault, demi and some of the other minor zones off.

Lets say we advertise get conservatively 30 more full time players and another 100 part timers... Does anyone see major zone arguments/competition and boredom coming down the pipe? I see alot of folks quitting from the increase in competition for zones and exp...
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Mon Jan 14, 2002 7:00 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>What are 400 players going to do during 40 hour boots? Couple days ago it booted just before prime time and crypts, cc, jot, brass, and tf were whacked by hour 8.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude. Back when there were 400 players, the mud was half the size. People still played.

Now I never played when it was 400, but I do remember when the mud had 300 players. There were atleast 6 distinct groups (hrm Me, Toddtwink, Qualith, Evils, Mikar, Diac/Sok) when I was really active. We all kept busy. The mud in general I think was a little less stable back then, but I do remember many 40 hour boots and a few 80 hour boots.

There are sooooooooooo many new high level zones now. The only problem I see with the mud atm is that the groups required are more specific, and you may not be able to do the tough zones on any given day as the appropriate people are not online. I could be wrong, I don't zone when I logon these days.

Personally, I think the mud needs more zones that arn't uber. A few more zones the level of difficulty of Jot or Brass. However I suppose it is hard to put EQ in those zones that will make people do them regularly.

Trogar
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Mon Jan 14, 2002 7:28 pm

Wouldn't this in a way go back to another thread about restrung eq? Take eq from those 6 zones that are mostly done, put all the eq in a pot, restring it, and mix the eq into new zones. That way you have more zones to choose from with similar eq. It just seems to me this would spread out what groups do what zones. It ups the combination of eq you get from the different zones. I've never done a major zone, but this sounded like a good idea to me.
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Mon Jan 14, 2002 8:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Galkar:
It ups the combination of eq you get from the different zones. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think what happens is zones like this don't get restrung eq, but rather slight variations of eq. For example, lets say gith gauntlets are +2+1, but SG gauntlets are +1+2. So something like this helps you fill niches quite nicely. But yea it could come down to personal preference.

Trogar
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jan 15, 2002 10:50 am

dont get me wrong, i dont think the sky is going to fall in on us, and yea i realize that there are a a hell of a lot more zones than 6 years ago, but at the present level 40 hour boots leave no good zones undone, and even quite a few of the soso zones are done. That leaves the mega uber zones that folks dont want to do unless they have the right people and 4 or 5 hours. so everyone plays alts who 40 is like 5 people... after reboot who 40 is like 40 people.

not to mention the fights coming down the road for prime exp and zones. thats one thing i noticed this wipe, doesnt seem to be nearly as much fighting over exp and zones than i remember. I dont really want see that increase.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 01-15-2002).]
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Jan 15, 2002 11:11 am

Simple solution, advertise in aus so I will have more folk to play with :P
*duck*

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 15, 2002 11:50 am

For the record, I never expect us to hit 400 again, not in the day of EverQuest and Diablo. But it would be nice to hit 200 consistently.

To solve the problem of the long boot, we have known the solution for some time - simply not had time to add it yet - That being randomized zone loading. Instead of all zones loading on boot with all of the equipment, we would have the zones load by a random percentage each zone-reset. If the chance hits right, the zone will reload with all of its equipment - creating the potential for having an unlimited number of zone repops with EQ during a single 1,000 hour uptime session. That would solve all sorts of problems.

Its just a matter of agreeing on the right varient of the solution, and coding it in..

Miax
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jan 15, 2002 12:58 pm

cool miax you guys are way ahead of me.

oh and the other bothersome thing will be the rares. With more players, rare % needs to get upped. Could you image more people hunting shinjin, talos, the dragons, ect? Could you imagine 5 necros waiting for one of the lich quest mob to load? how about another 10-20 warriors searching for gythka rares...

Id assume the zone loading you propose will help alot since rares hopefully will have a chance of loading too, but the rare % loading is a bit of a different consideration i think. more people hunting means we need more % loading... dunno thats feels tricky.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 01-15-2002).]
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Tue Jan 15, 2002 1:18 pm

Took me a couple minutes to code it. :P

Another good thing to add is so that some items can load at any reset and just not the full zone reset.

Also nice to calculate the time between average "full reset" of the zone with the lifespan and percentage to "eq reset". Can then easily see how often zones reset with eq in average. Nice to add to the "show zones" command :P
Mifus
Sojourner

Postby Mifus » Tue Jan 15, 2002 3:06 pm

Hello,

(this not flame against admins, they have they vision of Mud and they work hard to achieve it, it is mine comments how I feel on sojourn)

[was ok till 36-41, then all went down as I got at point when I can zone and... got frustrated]

doubt player numbers will increase, more likely they will go down.

Personaly I dont see point sitting online 6 hours, when I have time and get 0 suggestions to do anything.

You will try tell me, go ahead and lead something, but...
problem is that you need too much variety
of classes in group just to start things,
and then you need uber group if dont want to
be spanked.
If I, newbie, will lead things, with not uber group, we will be spanked and CR in any zone for 10 hours.

Of course sometimes there are enough ppl for zone, but they dont want do anything(waiting for some good known leader to lead them, with others they wont go, as there are too much to loose and little to gain, or elites that do things only in tehy closed circle). that problem with players, and nothing can be done at this point Image

[heh only person insane enough to follow me everywere was Mogr, and we had lot fun, too bad not much such players are there]

So... what can I do, definitely not zone with nice eq.
Maybe you can do vault, with many deaths, but thats it.
Another thing, exp so damn hard and you loose much on every death even if ressed.
yes it much, it takes for me to exp 1 hour to get thus %4 that I for sure will loose in every dying.

Yet another thing... I would like to see world map, not detailed, with some/most zones positions.

Basicaly as it is now, sorry, but sojourn are most newbie unfriendly mud I have played Image

1) why not make such thing that till level 6 if you die you dont loose exp?
2) why not make that till level 11 you not fail spells? (reason: in other muds you at least dont need mem spell if abrupted, and there you mem 5 mins then fail 4 of 5 spells and sit 5 mins again)

3) exp is realy hard, and btw... once elites was done with exping they exp places/methods was looked into and changed.

like: do you rememebr what queue of players that was waiting for chance to kill spectre in tower?
I said, - ok, I can wait, let elites get 50, so later I can come and exp there with tiny group. And what happen? after elites hit 50, they whine to admins that spectres makes exping too easy and... spectres shrugs now.
Sure 'holy word' was toned down also only once elites got 50, and yes... they was using this spell to exp lot.

Zones: Jot - once every elite and they alts got full sacks of eq from there, I made harder.
whats the point? to prevent others(newbies) to get chance to get this eq too!

So, resume: you elites are pushing new players from this MUD, because you want it only for yourself. Good, let it be.
You want all to be made so damn hard, so only you can do anything intresting there. Good, let it be.

Happy mudding,

Mifus
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Jan 15, 2002 6:04 pm

Mifus, I agree greatly. This is something like what I was trying to tell Corth and a few others a while ago: they got bored because they thought of ways to twink things, which led to sweeping new changes that screwed over all the lower people who had just begun to figure out how to do those things.

It's a little like being in limbo. Is progress being made? It's hard to tell.

As I put it then, "the l33t must be aware of their uberness."

If it's too easy why not just use less people, or do some mind-bogglingly hard zone in a new way? For me, it takes maybe over an hour to get a group of 15 that will stick together, and collect them in one place. For people like Nermal it probably takes < 15 minutes. They know the drill, you see, and we don't.

I am a bit more used to it, but it can't be fun for a new person to take forever just to figure something out only to then have that avenue immediately shut off from them.

I guess some of this syndrome is like those people who excelled in sports/math/etc. who were always used to trashing everyone else with a modicum of effort. The demand for everything to be made harder, for everyone, is as much showy as it is for actual challenge and boredom.

To the reader, if this offends you somehow, I ask that you think long and hard about how someone starting out would feel. What would they be able to do on their own, outside the existing social system? Would they be forced to kowtow to the ruling class in order to learn real zones?
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B>Mifus, I agree greatly. This is something like what I was trying to tell Corth and a few others a while ago: they got bored because they thought of ways to twink things, which led to sweeping new changes that screwed over all the lower people

If it's too easy why not just use less people, or do some mind-bogglingly hard zone in a new way? </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

exactly what are you trying to say? the things that corth and crew "twinked" were mostly legit ways of doing things. I gave a full and detailed explanation of every tactic we've used and only 2 things were changed out of 8. and "twinking" is very similar to using less and less people to do a zone with a different tactic. you're basically saying don't twink, but twink.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jan 16, 2002 1:04 am

the biggest harm ive seen in twink is the steps that are taken to prevent it. Im not talking bugs, bugs got to be fixed. but steadily making things harder is uncool for new folks.

you know what stops twinking, twinks. they get bored, rarely will you encounter someone or some group that is willing to keep doing the same thing over and over and over. how many bags of holding, ivory bracelets, tg, piles of white dragon scales, will you waste your time getting? 20 of each? 50 of each? if you sell them they get less valuable, but you can only really use 2 per character. eventually they'll give up and let someone else get it. yea this floods the game with eq... but you know what eq doesnt leave the game this will happen regardless of whether you fix twinkish things.

What happens now is someone finds a twink, twinks the piss out of it getting hordes of eq, then the twink gets fixed and his hordes of eq becomes more valuable. you played right into his hands. or you try to fix it, and make it a bigger twink or make it so impossible no one will do it. id post examples, but the only examples i have are the ones im twinking, and I dont have a large enough horde yet.

answer me this, how does the mud create fun? for some its collecting eq, for others its zoning, others like role play, some like leveling. twinking only reduces the fun factor for the folks who collect eq and want people to envy their hordes (these are also the people who ask for things to be made harder so that normal people cant approach their level). therefore twinks are their own worst enemies. I suppose it has some impact on those that like to zone, but if you get beat to a zone you get beat, they cant twink all the zones at the same time.

dont let them lull you into ruining the fun for the majority (by making some things insane and stupid) so they can protect their status and hordes all in the name of balance.

and sorta off topic, downgrade ress quest.

personally, the mud is great. there are shit loads of high end quests for peeps to work on and tons of new zones. the only thing that really bothers me is when there are 3 clerics on over 46 but i cant do !teleport zones because none of them have forkign ress. that and i havent been able to do invasion more than 2x in the last 5 months. invasion is like the best zone =(
Mifus
Sojourner

Postby Mifus » Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:06 am

Dalar,

I know you always are too impatient to try
understand mine writings,
but atm if its too hard to read what I write, go and read Moritheil and Kiryan
responses, they told that in more clear way.

btw, probably there are no chance for you to understand, as you are one of thus 'elites'.

another example of things that I dont understand:
scarlet ring: it great item for low levels,
bunch ppl about level 30+ was used to group and sail and fight there for it.
Now prince got proc, and probably only groups
of 41+, with stacked tank can do it now.
Enjoy lowbies, you are fucked again.
I dont understand, why the hell prince got this proc.

Make things harder for elites, not for lowbies.
Add this proc in some zone where only 'elites' goes, and others have no chance anyways. Maybe it will spice things for them, and maybe cool down them little.
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Thu Jan 17, 2002 6:56 am

I'd have to agree. I've been here for 4 1/2 years now all through college, but Torkur da nuker is my first char to actually get over level 40 before a pwipe and unfortunately that still makes me a newbie to most circles.

I've marketed eq and tried to get the "best" like everyone else or to learn zones and where stuff pops, but it really is an elitist club here and xping takes forever, hence torkur's 21.5 days of playing time just to get to level 41 while still knowing where to get decent xp per level.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the gods' fault and as far as I'm concerned, they friggin rock and bend over backwards to make this place great. 3 cheers and you deserve more.

I honestly as a nuker, though, know of no mobs on the mud you can solo without uber eq above level 36 or so for my class worth any xp. This means groups are a must to get money/eq/xp given all the twinking changes.

With all these new, harder additions, I have generally spent more time dying in these recent groups than xping and getting eq since my life is in the hands of the rescuing uber tank.

While this is fun to see tanking Skeloh (hehe failed rescues galore, but fun for da mages) it's not fun on ship's slaver to see an uber tank get double criticed, you have to invis/flee or your next, you can't xp anywhere else, and can't buy eq to help from zones like Jot cause it's l33t only or spankville.

Example: Take shadow grove by citadel. Last wipe it was the coolest place to get xp......and a level 36+ warrior (Torkur da Barbie) could solo a ghast or two with only mid level eq. What happened? People complain it's easy to xp, and now !class mobs give the worst xp in the game. Did this hurt all the l33t who group with friends and go to smoke plane or the level 30 warrior who doesn't know more than 6 people and none of them are a gater cause they're level 30 too?

Also given that you can't really explore this mud or you will certainly die- (I've known some fun crs on skeletor by BG, displacer beast by SS, ice bear by MH, etc, but it never was fun when you're the one who died and you dunno where that was)- and a newbie's life is pretty boring here without the circle of friends 'cause you make it harder and harder on him with justice and trophy being a biatch.

If anyone doesn't believe me, roll an invoker, give him _no_ equipment but the newbie stuff and what eq you can solo kill as you go, don't accept any group offers, and try to level yourself to level 21 on bgr. Then you'll get the newbie perspective on this mud and you might feel for em some more.

I also don't see the huge problem with flooding eq unless you're an egomaniac/hoarder .....just give your extra crap to a newbie when you don't need it and have fun rolling a new class to start over or go learn some quests without help. It really is stuff like that that makes a newbie's day and will keep people here.

And while the masses generally don't bother, I've seen people like Dornax bend over backwards to ress some newbies (my butt included, thnx again) or help them with a quick CR or Touk give away eq that my warrior never even owned to some happy person who just started here and will remember for the next 20 levels as they walk up and down near WD killing the same old things.

I've helped plevel some of these people I meet and you'd be surprised at how many of them remember the exact time of night, the room, and the name of the person when they got that gleaming holy ls/yeti boots/scarlet ring or similar mid level stuff, let alone something higher level. Please don't complain so much that no one under level 41 can kill for these same items.

Sorry, I'm longwinded. :P Basically, if you're a twink, get 10 of them. Keep 2, sell 6, give 2 to newbies. Don't fix it by complaining to the gods so I can't eventually go try/lead it myself with friends. Image

And If this game is really so easy for you, you've done everything, and have a level 50 of every class/race here.....GET A LIFE. These DAMN GOOD gods have done enough and challenged enough that no one can solo everything, so try it or get a new game to play. :P Ever hear of an elementalist? :P

Torkur da Noob, still waiting on Krammoch to Friggin be there. :P
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Jan 17, 2002 12:45 pm

Heh, I feel ya torkur. I'm that little ranger Tilez that grouped with you and calib the other night. I remember my first character here, Cordan (dwarf cleric), and my first death. I was like level 5-6 and I was looking for goblin caves. Somehow I ended in displacer cave and it took me a minute to realize that I was dead. I asked some people to help me cr, I was on a dumb terminal, no scrollback, and all I remember seeing was *something* jumps out of the shadows. Well, everyone I talked to said 'No way am I going in there.' Needless to say, no one would explain why, but I figured the displacer was a bad nasty. God that was a while ago..... Sorry to get off topic, just having a flashback Image

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 17, 2002 7:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mifus:
<B>Hello,

doubt player numbers will increase, more likely they will go down.

http://www.sojourn3.org/mrtg/soj3-online.html

Mifus</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree, look at the recent numbers. Image
Nikelon
Sojourner

Postby Nikelon » Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:18 pm

I also agree very much with Torkur. I am a 22 invoker that, because of certain aspects of my family, never gets to stay on for the 2+ hours it often takes to get any kind of decent xp.

When I do get to stay on, it's a major blessing, but when I don't, then I have to go suddenly from a group I just formed to do BGR with. Add the fact that we only had time for maybe 3 or 4 kills (a notch, two if I am lucky). A 41 year-old level 22 with no rejuvs? Kinda pathetic when I can't even solo a guard that cons Perfect Match on BGR...

On the good side, however, I have many friends on Sojourn, and it is overall an absolutely awesome atmosphere. I get lost in the game whenever I play and have done so since I started back in Soj2. All of my eq at this point is from kind people that have supported me since I started...they even re-eq'd me when I lost my corpse after a Mori-spank quite some time ago (lvl 11 or so) Image

I thank the Gods that they have created such an incredible game, free of the sterility and cornyness I experienced in other muds after Soj2 shut down. I also thank those players that contribute so wonderfully not only to the material stashes of newer players, but that also contribute to the general environment of all players.

-Nikelon Tharton

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”