Could go in that what's wrong with our society topic.

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Gindipple
Sojourner

Could go in that what\'s wrong with our society topic.

Postby Gindipple » Wed Jan 30, 2002 8:23 am

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99991847
It's got several holes in the article but it's kinda funny how the online gaming community has hit the charts with their spending of real money on virtual items.

How many people on here have sold or bought stuff on these MMORPGS with real cash?
And if so can you state about how much the transactions amounted to?
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:40 am

cheer! EQ almost > Russia!

I dream of a day when your ability to zone will factor more into your social status than whether or not you went to Harvard.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Jan 31, 2002 2:00 am

I'm willing to sell all my eq for $20 if anyone's interested? *beg*

Seriously though... that's pretty messed up. Don't they know they can get this stuff on their own?
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Jan 31, 2002 2:17 am

Those who spend most of the money are like that doctor someone mentioned, who buys 6 accounts, plays them all simultaneously, but doesn't have time to spend getting eq for all six.

Not singling out doctors, I have the highest respect for them. Just people who don't have the time but want to play at higher levels.
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:28 am

this really came about because the average person does NOT have the free time required to level any character on a game such as this mud, everquest, DAOC, etc. to 50. they see their online friends shoot passed them in a matter of days and it's very very frustrating. so someone offered another person online real cash for their char, and the rest is history..

when the mud reopened i sold my three everquest accounts with 3 level 60 chars and 6 more over 50 for 1.5k. the amount of time i put into those chars is worth 20 times that amount easily.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:47 am

It does seem odd at first glance but is at least somewhat understandable. IMO, it's basically an extreme example of what happens when casual gamers are thrown in with hardcore gamers. Since the casual gamers actually interact and see the hardcore gamers, the difference in devotion/ability is more apparent than it is in a non-multiplayer only game. Add to that the fact that the casual gamer is paying for their account so they may feel like they have a responsibility to actually play the game and it becomes kinda understandable how a casual gamer that's addicted like a hardcore gamer but doesn't have the time might shell out cash for the digital goods. Enough rambling, off to class.

------------------
"Maybe I should stop and ask for directions . . ."
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:35 am

The day isnt far off when there will be online communities like this that are so engrossing and have such durable economies that many people will be able to make a living by being online all the time. Mark my words. Image
Abue
Sojourner

Postby Abue » Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:15 pm

Level 50 Illusionist for Sojourn III on ebay. Opening bid $100. Woot!
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:19 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mplor:
The day isnt far off when there will be online communities like this that are so engrossing and have such durable economies that many people will be able to make a living by being online all the time. Mark my words. Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, my buddy has a friend that makes a living from leveling up EQ characters and selling them... That's what he does to support himself and his family Image

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:47 pm

Good God Taegost that's nuts!

If that were to ever happen here, I'd shudder at the equ hoarding that would go on...

Toplack ( get as much of his own stuff as possible, and uses it!) Frostbear
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:27 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gort:
<B>Good God Taegost that's nuts!

If that were to ever happen here, I'd shudder at the equ hoarding that would go on...

Toplack ( get as much of his own stuff as possible, and uses it!) Frostbear</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehehe, he lives up in New York somewhere... But ya, that is kinda nuts, I don't think I could do it...
Of course, I'm also the same person that takes 15 hours to get to the end of the first disc in FF7, but when I do, I am super twink Image
But, that would require a lot of time away from Sojourn, which I have done way too much of as of late...
Altho, I really fear for the MUD when NWN comes out... Ack!
Especially since I was nominated as DM even before I had heard about it hehe

------------------
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Sat Feb 02, 2002 12:29 am

OOOP!!!
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:40 am

Hey look, here's an update to that:
http://news.com.com/2100-1017-239052.html
Hehehehe
Guess they caught on...

------------------

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”