Underworld: Don't see this crap.

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
muma
Sojourner

Underworld: Don't see this crap.

Postby muma » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:38 am

Haha, Ok first of all i only saw it because my sister and i decided to see it together. I figured it wouldn't be that good from the previews because it looked like a big rip off of the matrix. HOwever, it was a rip off of the matrix, blade, _and_ terminator(in one scene).

this movie was so lame!!! but a few parts were hilarious because it was really stupid. The Director did an awful job.

I know you're thinking (um, i didn't need you to tell me this Le-hoo-z-er)
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:48 am

remember pearl harbor guys?
looked like that awesome war movie?

FUCKING ROMANCE FLICK!

underworld is same thing.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Dlur
Sojourner

Postby Dlur » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:22 pm

Soundtrack rules though.
Ghimok|Dlur|Emeslan|Ili|Zinse|Teniv
*~~~~~~~~~~*
"Censorship is telling a man he can't eat a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:04 pm

8)

I was too tired to see it when my friends went, but they pretty much concur. Glad I saved a few bucks.
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:52 pm

It bit, until it got funny, but then it bit again. It kept on biting right up til the end and then it got funny again. Right after that funny part though, it bit.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:48 pm

Wow, guess I must suck. Seen this twice and loved it both time. Hmmm no i'm wrong. You all suck.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
chandigar
Sojourner

Postby chandigar » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:41 pm

Yea, I didn't think it was THAT bad at all, compared to most action flicks. Though I went in not expecting much. I guess it depends on your expectations.

I thought it was more in the spirit of the first matrix (I hated the 2nd one), but some of the acting talent could have been better.
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:00 pm

It was a great film... FOR ME TO POOP ON!!! So I shall infest my comments with SPOILERS! Because it's far from worth the money.

-Vampires shouldn't be shown having a reflection and admiring themselves.
-Vampires don't have to all dress in the victorian age.
-Vampires shouldn't be displayed as overdressed couch potatoes hanging out all ours of the night (the night mind you) like they have nothing better to do, in a mansion instead of out hunting.
-Vampires cannot dodge bullets from machine guns.
-Death Dealer vampire warriors don't have to dress like Neo and Trinity exact duplicates minus the sunglasses.
-Vampires look nothing like werewolves (as portrayed in this film) and even a scared 5 year old girl could tell the obvious difference.
-Vampires normally don't make any noise when the move unless they so choose to be heard.
-Goodguys who are doing the right thing don't normally walk around screaming and yelling and being an abusive 1 dimensional character asshole.
-A vampire doesn't become half of something beceause they drank it's blood. Or else we'd have Half-rat vampires, and half snake vampires and half BBS geek vampires.
-A half inch thick longsword cannot make a paper thin cut thru someone's head, or their whole body (in the case of Highlander 1).
-It's usually a good idea to hide a secret plot and not reveal it until the end of the movie.
-It's usually a good idea to NOT make the best (and in the case of this movie, the ONLY good) scene in the movie happen the first 5 mins.

And the plot buster observations: (If I've made a mistake about the information I'm basing these observations on, well who cares. Not like I'm going to see it again. Ever.)

-If the guy who becomes both vampire and werewolf is a decendant of the man who first sired 2 children (1 a vampire, and the other a werewolf) he'd be one of the two as well, not a normal human with really spiffy blood waiting to be infected.
--Werewolves aren't immortals, they age normally. The leader of the werewolves wouldn't be the same person from all those hundreds of years ago. He'd be dead. D.E.A.D. Dead. Dead, dead, dead. Beyond maggot food rotted to nothing plants used him for nutrients and got eaten by a cow who crapped him out 300 years ago, DEAD.

-Caedym Shadowhock
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:40 pm

Wow caedym i didn't know you were such a vampire and werewolf authority. have you sat down and interviewed both to prove these facts that you list of mythological creatures?

this was a fictional movie with fictional creatures of the night. i've never seen two vampire movies that give the same rules for vampires (ie some don't cast a shadow, some don't throw a reflection, some turn into wolves some can't)
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:50 pm

mynazzaraxxsyn wrote:Wow caedym i didn't know you were such a vampire and werewolf authority. have you sat down and interviewed both to prove these facts that you list of mythological creatures?

this was a fictional movie with fictional creatures of the night. i've never seen two vampire movies that give the same rules for vampires (ie some don't cast a shadow, some don't throw a reflection, some turn into wolves some can't)

You'll notice I said "shouldn't" and "normally don't" not an absolute such as "don't ever" or "never" thereby implying it was my opinion that doing so made it look bad.

All other statements were based on the story and logic of the film. When they contradict themselves in their OWN STORY, yes I jump up and down on it.

Such as:

They implied they needed a pure blood descendant of the original father of vampires and werewolves, because only THIS specific bloodline could adapt to both species. Then at the end they show Marcus (the vampire still in slumber who becomes awaked by the blood of a dying werewolf) become a cross species as well.

-Caedym Shadowhock
chandigar
Sojourner

Postby chandigar » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:09 pm

Sorry for the spoilers, and this is nothing personal Caedym, I just thought this wasn't THAT bad of a movie... ;)

- Vampires shouldn't be shown having a reflection and admiring themselves.
-Vampires shouldn't be displayed as overdressed couch potatoes hanging out all ours of the night (the night mind you) like they have nothing better to do, in a mansion instead of out hunting.

Ok, the reflection thing I can probably agree with, I noted that too.. but like My***x said, every movie deals with it differently, so who knows.

The whole thing with vampires dressed in victorian clothes as couch potatoes is fine if you base it on the premise that the movie bases it on.

The vampires are complacent in their power and can afford to not hunt because they've derived an artificial blood that they can drink.

Even if you say they can't drink that blood, this is a group of vampires akin to those found in the Vampire: The Masquerade universe. They're rich from hundreds of years of old money and investments, they head huge corporations. They don't need to run out by themselves to hunt if they don't need to.

-Death Dealer vampire warriors don't have to dress like Neo and Trinity exact duplicates minus the sunglasses.

I didn't see anything overly dramatic like the fanning effect of the agents in the Matrix when dodging bullets. They just dodged bullets by running, like any other action flick.

The whole neo and trinity look was around before neo and trinity. Dip into older comics and vampire artwork and you'll see the same stuff.

-Vampires look nothing like werewolves (as portrayed in this film) and even a scared 5 year old girl could tell the obvious difference.

She never saw the werewolves, she heard them get attacked in the night and heard her cousins screaming and ran back to hide in her room. The vampire then come into her room, said they were werewolves and that he was there to rescue her.

-Vampires normally don't make any noise when the move unless they so choose to be heard.

I think thats more of a skill thing. Learning to move silently. But once again this is one of those myth things that are inconsistent between movies.

-Goodguys who are doing the right thing don't normally walk around screaming and yelling and being an abusive 1 dimensional character asshole.

No one ever said Speedman was a great actor ;)

-A vampire doesn't become half of something beceause they drank it's blood. Or else we'd have Half-rat vampires, and half snake vampires and half BBS geek vampires.

Actually its the other way around. The chick didn't become half of something, the guy she bit did. The concept being that both vampiric and werewolf 'curses' are physical diseases passed along through a bite. In this case, each one bit the main guy so both diseases were within him.

-A half inch thick longsword cannot make a paper thin cut thru someone's head, or their whole body (in the case of Highlander 1).
-It's usually a good idea to hide a secret plot and not reveal it until the end of the movie.
-It's usually a good idea to NOT make the best (and in the case of this movie, the ONLY good) scene in the movie happen the first 5 mins.

Yea, some of those I agree with.

And the plot buster observations: (If I've made a mistake about the information I'm basing these observations on, well who cares. Not like I'm going to see it again. Ever.)

-If the guy who becomes both vampire and werewolf is a decendant of the man who first sired 2 children (1 a vampire, and the other a werewolf) he'd be one of the two as well, not a normal human with really spiffy blood waiting to be infected.
--Werewolves aren't immortals, they age normally. The leader of the werewolves wouldn't be the same person from all those hundreds of years ago. He'd be dead. D.E.A.D. Dead. Dead, dead, dead. Beyond maggot food rotted to nothing plants used him for nutrients and got eaten by a cow who crapped him out 300 years ago, DEAD.

Actually, the guy had 3 sons, one werewolf, one vampire one human. The info was provided a little oddly but its mentioned. Basically she says that he had 2 sons, each was cursed differently, then a min later mentions the 3rd son who was a human.

As for werewolves being immortal or not... I dunno about that. Artistic license.

All other statements were based on the story and logic of the film. When they contradict themselves in their OWN STORY, yes I jump up and down on it.

Such as:

They implied they needed a pure blood descendant of the original father of vampires and werewolves, because only THIS specific bloodline could adapt to both species. Then at the end they show Marcus (the vampire still in slumber who becomes awaked by the blood of a dying werewolf) become a cross species as well.

No one ever said Marcus was going to become a cross-specie. In fact, both issues are unrelated. They wake the elder vampires by feeding them blood, the blood gives them all the knowledge that the original person had. Hence the plotline about how only another elder vampire who can organize their thoughts should waken other vampires because otherwise all the transferred memories are a jumble.

That last scene just has markus being awoken by the blood of the slain werewolf and implying that he will have all of the werewolf's memories.
muma
Sojourner

Bahahahha

Postby muma » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:35 pm

Caedym wrote:It was a great film... FOR ME TO POOP ON!!! So I shall infest my comments with SPOILERS! Because it's far from worth the money.

-Vampires shouldn't be shown having a reflection and admiring themselves.

-Caedym Shadowhock

Caedym, Lol, thank you for that! i read that out loud to my sister. we were both laughing so hard :D
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:47 pm

actually

The whole thing is based on whitewolfs world of darkness. I know the director said it wasnt, but it is.

I know a lot about whitewolf and ill post again after I go see (ahem, download) the movie.
<I>When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?</I>
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:00 pm

chandigar wrote:No one ever said Marcus was going to become a cross-specie.

The eyes man. They told you with his eyes. Remember the extreme close-up of his eyes a the end. They changed just like the human who became the crossbreed. Both their eyes changed to the solid black eye symbolizing the crossbreed. I saw it with 3 other people and we all looked at eachother and said "wtf?" when it happened.

Ok, now I get to hound you about costume design. Here's the idea, you pick a theme and you stick with it. Why do the hunters dress and act like Matrix clones, while the house vampires act like rug rats in victorian clothing? The victorian look is a right from the Rice novels. Jeez. Come on already. Make up something original. They looked like they had the same costume designer, just like the same people who did Matrix did the Death Dealers. It was apparent the vampires were very much into high-tech. So why the old style look? People get tired of the same look after 10 years, you'd think a vampire would have had a fashion change after how ever many hundred years ago that look was in. Is this the High-tech Old-school vampire hood?

What other movies besides Blade made people look like Neo and Trinity? I can't think of any atm.

I could accept the fact that they don't go out hunting cuz of the fake blood and old money, if it was something new. Even old Dracula had a harem of drugged women he'd drink from, yet he'd still be out hunting, and he was rich as all hell. He owned a CASTLE and a territory of land.

The rumor is, the makers of White Wolf are already engaged in a lawsuit against the makers of this film, who's story is an almost dupe of one of their gaming novels.

Vampires dodging bullets in the movie:
She drops down into a cellar where 4-5 guys with machine guns unload on her and she side-steps SLIGHTLY and never gets shot. But the guys who drop in behind her get hit. Yeah anyways. I'd rather have seen the vampires have a high resistance to pain or damage and seen her getting hit and shrugging it off. But I guess that would be too Terminator-ish and the film apparently had enough of that.

-Caedym Shadowhock

I hate a lot of things, being a cynic and all, but I do love to tear apart a film or get into a debate with you bro (can last for hours!). :D
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:03 am

I realize i'm even cooler than I thought after reading this thread!
Vena
Sojourner

Postby Vena » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:18 am

Snurgt wrote:I realize i'm even cooler than I thought after reading this thread!

You bothered reading this entire thread? I love it when people argue about fantasy things.

I claim to be an expert on nothing... so I shall move on to a more interesting thread.

Vena
Torv OOC: 'vena = ugly
Shevarash OOC: 'you look so pretty when you're putting the damage on o/~'
Drakkoth
Sojourner

Postby Drakkoth » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:50 am

It's true, Underworld blew, but it was Braveheart compared to Cold Creek Manor.

What's guaranteed to rock, though, is Bubba Ho-tep. Get pumped.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:36 pm

Yeah... I heard Underworld was going to be Romeo and Juliet with werewolves and vampires. As if that wasn't enough reason alone not to see it.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”