Eep, a Hydra under Mt. Skelinak! w00t Touk!

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Holdan
Sojourner

Eep, a Hydra under Mt. Skelinak! w00t Touk!

Postby Holdan » Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:48 am

*Thanks Touk and Ashiwi for the CR help*

I'm only a level 11 paladin, and was exploring Mt. Skelinak after getting bored with hobgoblins, half-orcs, and other MOBs there.

I was exploring the tunnels really far below the mountain, and fought some primitive humans that conned 'needle.' I went one or two rooms over and evaded a HYDRA. Dunno how, but I did. I ran from it, it chased me, it paralyzed me with frost breath, and I died.

What's with the rapid change in difficulty in the tunnels under Mt. Skelinak?
Koldaz
Sojourner

Postby Koldaz » Mon Mar 04, 2002 3:54 am

The Hydra is not readily accesible, however, somebody might have tracked it out onto the upper levels of the caves.

Koldar/Koldaz
Holdan
Sojourner

Postby Holdan » Mon Mar 04, 2002 4:24 am

Not easily accessible? I walked right into it.
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Mon Mar 04, 2002 4:43 am

*comfort* Holdar. Although you probably already suspect, there are abrupt changes in mob difficulty in almost every zone you will find. If you didn't run into the hydra there, you would have probably run into the lizardmen and met a similar demise. (en route to the hydra, you missed them by one room)

The only thing you can do about it really is have an escape route ready -all- the time. And once you can summon mounts, if you suspect something bad coming up, send in your mount with a light. The dangers won't necessarily get any smaller either... as you level up, you will wander into bigger and more dangerous zones. I always found it one of the defining aspects of Sojourn... everpresent potential to get thoroughly, unquestionably smacked down.
Holdan
Sojourner

Postby Holdan » Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:50 am

One time, I was headed into the goblin mines, but like a a room before the entrance to the caves, there were like 12 lizard men and a leader. I actually hit one a few times, and doged a few hits before I realized what was going on, and took off in the direction I came...

I rested up, buffed up, and ran like hell through the room and got by unscathed Image

What were they doing in the plains, anyway?
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Mon Mar 04, 2002 6:04 am

Holdan:

Dezzex nailed this one.

Even a route you've traveled a thousand times can suddenly turn nasty one boot.

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:39 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Holdan:
<B>One time, I was headed into the goblin mines, but like a a room before the entrance to the caves, there were like 12 lizard men and a leader. I actually hit one a few times, and doged a few hits before I realized what was going on, and took off in the direction I came...

I rested up, buffed up, and ran like hell through the room and got by unscathed Image

What were they doing in the plains, anyway?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ohh.. the memories of exploring those caves Image

Rest assured, most new players exploring around waterdeep meet a similar fate to you only a few paces from where you did.
Myself, it was the (tough) lizardmen that I found 1st, heh.

Yeah, heed Dezzex' advice.
Many areas in the realms have some very nasty mobs that will pound you real good, and chase you when/if you run.
A pet to send ahead with a light can be very useful..

The group of a dozen Lizardmen you encountered in the plains were likely one of the small random mob groups, that occasionally load around the place - sometimes they are orcs, or kobolds, sometimes they only show up at night, and they almost always are very low level.

Personally, I love the idea of these random mob groups - easy, fun, surprising, and good in the fantasy realm that is sojourn, I think.

Good Hunting!

Mogr -=BloodSeeker=- Northern Star
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:50 am

I still remember one of my first death's in all of the MUD, when I was still getting used to things presplit...

It was to a group of gnolls. I wandered from mobs I could handle at 15th level to my first bashing tracking mobs. Of course, I didn't encounter *one* of them. No, I had three of them on me.

------------------
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:59 am

imo, the only answer is dont explore unless you can cast word or you dont mind dieing.

Staff has said in the past most bad ass agros are hinted at in room descriptions leading up to or inside the room. For example displacer beast has bunch of skulls and shit in the prior rooms description and its room is described as a lair. if your brave enough to walk into someones lair your brave enough to die when you get in over your head.
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Mon Mar 04, 2002 8:03 am

Heh, word is nice but I wouldn't bet everything on it. You still have to not mind dying.

I've died more than once before I could even get the word off.

Edit:

Also, what is bad-ass at level 50 is very different than what is bad-ass at level 20. I've encountered more than one thing that was not hinted at but still ment instadeath.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Elseenas (edited 03-04-2002).]
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>imo, the only answer is dont explore unless you can cast word or you dont mind dieing.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i wanna see kiryan exploring of um... Image

*bounce*
*tease*

seriosly, death is a part of the game, only way to get around is to run into stuff, thats my 2c...
/fil
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:30 pm

i try not to explore, it goes against my nature. i hate checking rares too. i survive by having masochistic friends like taelin who will try stupid things like CR from priestesses in SG with 3 folks and go run through GC endlessly and track down obscure pointless quests.
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Mon Mar 04, 2002 3:08 pm

Anyone exploring UM makes me giggle and remember the days long past when I did it Image

Sylvos
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:02 pm

Skeletor by BG still freaks me out from when I meet him exploring.....whoever wrote the fields of the dead did a damn good job. :P

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”