Why your not elite and why youll never be

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Mon Apr 08, 2002 11:47 am

Hmmm, Maybe someone should put up a Board that we can post every quest we know to, that way you can just go there and gather all the knowledge you need.

Ilshad
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:10 am

actually ilshad how about when someone is making a serious attempt to do the quest and is stuck, we give them help without the bullshit?

Lur was working on shadow walk for his illusionist. everyone he asked when he'd get stuck would give him smartass replies or hints to vague even a player with his experience couldnt figure them out.

he dont play anymore now, thanks guys.
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:32 am

again... how did the first illusionist get shadow walk??

people are so used to being told what to do for quests noone even tries to figure it out ....

they expect the quest to be finished in one day ... i dont really think it was meant to be that way at all

im sorry Lur stopped playing, talk to him and make him try again .. tell him not to give up so easily

-Ambar -=- sympathizer of the *l33t* -=-

who started that crap anyway?? the l33t ... the ...3nj0y .. etc :P

All your bases are belong to us!!

[This message has been edited by Karikhan (edited 04-08-2002).]
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:04 am

some folks are better at questing than others. he needed help, he got smartass replies instead.
Xebes
Sojourner

Postby Xebes » Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:13 am

What's the purpose of a quest skill/spell if _everybody_ has it, anyways?
Thorgald
Sojourner

Postby Thorgald » Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:54 am

Touk has the best or closest approximation of what Sojourn should be. Shrug, you can agree/disagree all you want. When any game becomes something else for you rather then a medium for social interaction then its basically lost its retention value. Like any good Multi-player environment, when it loses its fun its no longer worth playing.

The whole Elite thing? Don't get to wrapped up in words is my advice. I would actually advise against trying to become what the majority has labeled ELITE. Its not all its cracked up to be. Simplicity is what really makes a game like Sojourn fun. I would say very few players who we would label "elite" on Sojourn probably enjoy the game like they did when they were a level 1 <insert class>. Its something nobody really realises until they reach Level 50, they have killed everything in the game, they have done everything. Its really a sad point to reach for something you love so much.

For example, I just quit Everquest beginning of this year. I had the 2nd best geared Shadowknight on my server, w/ a population of 1500 on any given night. I'd killed every mob in game, and completed every quest possible for my race/class combination. It was approaching my 4th birthday as my sk. D you know how many people actually still played from my original group? Only myself. Sigh, my best memories and ones I will never forget were killing crocodiles/ice trolls with 5 other good friends that logged in at the same time every night. Sometimes we played till we fell asleep at our keyboards. It was what a game should be about Image Well after 4 years of helping build and maintain a guild on Eq, I logged in during January and just realized that every 6 months we went through a new set of people, same old arguments surfaced, same old political bullshit, same old cycle. I'd lost the simplicity.

Ahh well wrapping up my long story and cramming it into a few sentences..

"If you want to shoot for any type of real fun with any multi-user game, then shoot for simplicity. Same group of people, Same time zones, similiar schedules, and then do the best thing of all Image Become good friends."

That group I was talking about last night, I talk with everyone who was a part of it on a weekly basis. Even did a vegas EQ event our guild hosted a few times with them.

That's what Elite should be Image

In re: Kiryan

Lol, I've spent 12 hours before doing zones within Everquest. Zones where it was *expected* to die 4 to 5 times, and probably have one major spank with a 2 to 3 hr CR. Yeah we joked around and bullshitted over guildchat about the leader, but nobody was ever serious. If people do not respect a leader, nor encourage him to grow and become better by being positive then please DO NOT CONSENT him in the first place. Listen, best thing for anybody who has whined during a raid to do at this point is realize, you've probably hurt yourself bigtime. You need to most likely step back, re-evaluate your committment to the game. If you want, find those few people on the game you really trust and enjoy following. Then show them you are worth inviting 100% of the time you are on and begin to develop a real group. Please, don't be the idiot who bitches during a raid and pretty much ruins it for everyone else. Its tough being a leader. I would say 90% of the time those bitching have never lead shit when it comes to a large scale group 15+. The other 10% are those I would label >Full of SHIT<. They are smart, knowledgeable, intelligent players who no matter what no longer play for fun. Instead they are just their to cut people down and make it a pure power game. Powergamers are evil to the core and the ruination of all that is holy and great about multi-user environments. (note: Its my own definition of a power gamer, it differs from the popular one)

Well that's it,.. Did I mention that I was well known on the eq boards for my long posts. Sigh its a bad trait, I doubt even 20% of those who started reading this post finished it.

Thorgald Ironblood
Master Brewer of Fine Dwarven Spirits
Private [/] Storm of Fists
Lvl41 Dwarf Warrior
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:08 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xebes:
What's the purpose of a quest skill/spell if _everybody_ has it, anyways?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

couldnt agree more...

and after reading this thread i only got one thing to say:

explore, explore, explore. find a coup o players that arent afraid to get spanked and bum around, thats the way to learn thats the way to find stuff, heck whats the fun in being dragged around in places ppl have been 1000 times, just doing it exact the same way its allways been done, thats no game, thats just work....

i remember once on s1 when me an thorgil was noobs we did citadel in the absolute coolest way, w out going into details i just say it involved getting buck naked, running and welling group spanned from lvl 15 players to lev 47. players, sure we got some deaths, but we got out w the stuff and most ppl got some exp too. id say anyone w <100 deaths is a wimp, go hard-core, go mad and do stuff in many ways, dont bother with making friends with special "elite" players, just make friends w all and above all : STAY COOL.

sure everyone wants the spankiest eq, but that piece o eq isnt spanky unless ye got a spank while doing it.

id say: OOOoops, is the name of the game Image

----{-
fildur
-}----

[This message has been edited by fildur (edited 04-09-2002).]
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:44 pm

Fildur have you been hanging around with Nokar again?

Toplack *shivers as he hears Nokar gsay "um guys?" * Frostbear
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:44 am

What a stupid ass argument.

are you kidding me?

ask alvathair if he has scales yet. he's been 46 since last summer. ah but by your logic he's special because he dont have the spell or the connections to help him do the dragons he needs to do to get the things he needs? right.

it took lur two months to finish shadow walk. he was not the first, nor the second, nor the 5th to do it. he knows the mud inside and out, being the previous leader of Errants of Deorc. it pissed him off that a necessary and highly sought after spell for a mage class took him two months to do.

having never played a mage before this wipe i didnt know gate or relocate. i didnt even know where to start. some folks would say 'start with this mob' but wouldnt tell me where he was, or it would be in some foreign to me part of the mud. if it wasnt for rokub, who was told TO NOT HELP ME DO THESE QUESTS (this before i was pissing you all off en masse) yet did it anyway, i'd not have those two spells.

that is utter bullshit and dont try to deny it. wobb forgot to classify the 'typical male' element here, the alpha male who must exert their mastery over whom they perceive to be the beta males by witholding that which they need.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:43 am

that's not what i'm saying, is it touk.

miax stated that hoarding info is bad. i agree as did one or two others. i also stated that not all of us are good at games, some are better at this game than others.

what i said was that a player that knows this mud inside and out couldnt get simple help in the form of non vague clues. he didnt want specific info, just a clue instead of smartass replies.

you tell me why that's so hard? it's not like he asking for info on that new funky helm quest is he? it's a standard spell quest.

did i say post all the info available?

did i say tell a level 1 how to quest dragonscales?

no, so dont read into it.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:49 am

I would have to agree with Touky here. Although I understand that having Gate/Relo and other quest spells/items are wonderful things to have, I must also say this....I am not even a mage and I have found some items/mobs for many quest spells...and I am not even looking for them. I just go around the realms on very boring nights and do any quest I can find...It has gotten me some nice things and I was able to help some nice people in the process without handing them things on a silver platter like you would have it.

Now, if i can find these mobs/items by a mishap or luck, I am sure you can too if you would stop being lazy and go look for things. Quests are one of the most fun things IMO on this mud, not that zoning isnt fun, but I like a challenge.

As for the leading zones...RESPECT your leaders folks. You would not imagine how many people dont spellup, stand, bash, trip, etc. because they "didn't see the message". This angers your leaders very mightily. I was bored one day and decided to learn SG, I did and I lead it a few times. I was fortunate enough to get wonderful groups when I went, and had no problems. But on an ocasion of leading the vault up in IC...well we went through 3 leaders that day because the original, and myself (#2), got fed up with people not listening and getting the group killed...it was a waste of time. Luckily got that dickhead Kaln to lead the last of the zone. So next time you don't get that #1 on your list piece of eq, get it next time and dont hassle the leader. Most likely they have gotten enough shit throughout the expedition.

One last thought before I shut my trap.

I saw earlier on this thread that people want to follow those that don't know the zone?! Woohoo come with me folks, I have been itching to kill some of these mobs I have spyed on constantly for about 2 months now Image Exploring would be my second favorite on the mud, exploring when you get to kill things instead of wondering what they do...I am all for it!

------------------
Kifle "It Slipped I swear!" ButteryFingers

[This message has been edited by Kifle (edited 04-10-2002).]
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Wed Apr 10, 2002 8:54 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Teyaha:
<B>
you tell me why that's so hard? it's not like he asking for info on that new funky helm quest is he? it's a standard spell quest.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

whining about quests is nothing but twinkish behaviour, downgrade teyaha Image

just help someone elsedoing the quest and yell learn....

/fil
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Wed Apr 10, 2002 8:57 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gort:
<B>Fildur have you been hanging around with Nokar again?

Toplack *shivers as he hears Nokar gsay "um guys?" * Frostbear</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i havent died in um for like 2 months Image

/"guess my mentalist got some levels, need run down and check what i can solo"-fildur
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:17 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kifle:
<B>
As for the leading zones...RESPECT your leaders folks. You would not imagine how many people dont spellup, stand, bash, trip, etc. because they "didn't see the message".

spellup?!? that would be the time when half the group says "who the f*** stoned/globed/etc me 3 mins ago, im gonna fade in 3 rounds? B)

emote sends you sprawling.
gsa moving

Foo-Player group-says 'where did ye all go, i was memming'

Foo-Player tells you 'i want the nebbie for my alt, i got the right to bid on everything and im needers on that'

tell foo-player 'why the f** didnt ye silence, ye got 10 ppl killed for no reason.. Image'

Foo-Player tells you 'why are you mad, my armor went out, i had to renew...'

yes we all been there, its foo player thats gonna be whining about not getting the spankiest eq in the lotto...

/fil
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:41 am

Quests are quests, they are not things that should be handed on a silver platter.

I remeber when I played Visae on Soj2, I was the first weller and doomer. But whn I did my doom quest it had been changed by Kia.

It took me forever to figure out where the freaking Mosiac was and even after I summoned the spirit, the freaking spirit wanted some item for the dam spell. So we had to go off and gather it up, and not from an easy zone back at that time.

Of course the later druids had all the information needed to get doom after that and I am sure it upset Kia a lot.

I think the important thing about quests revole around people taking the time to explore and talk to mobs. You would be surprised how many questy mobs that have not even been found still exist.

I have never had a problem sharing quest information with my allies/friends, since they in return share information they know. So if you are struggling and dying to do quests, ally yourself with some others and start gathering a mass of quest knowledge.

------------------
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:43 am

Hahah Fil! You pinned the tale on the ass on that one! But I still have hope, I want to lead more, and explore zones with ballsy players that will follow me Image

------------------
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:51 am

ilshadrial, i think thats such a cop out. if your willing to share info with your friends and allies you ought to be willing to share info with everyone. either quests are sacred secret everyone gots to figure them out on their own or they arent.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:49 am

Sojourn is a "group oriented mud", that is why I share my knoweldge with friends and allies.

When we had Vermillion Shadow up and running, we would help "clients" with quests they didn't know how to do for a fee. That was fun.

Ask Corth how many time he pulled his hair out trying to figure out a certain serpent staff quest, hahahah Image

------------------
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Thu Apr 11, 2002 6:11 pm

Hey kifle, I'll follow you on those expeditions, sound like fun- when I have time of course......but only if you let me lead a couple too. Image We're all gonna die then. Image
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Apr 12, 2002 5:32 am

Hahah! Dieing is part of the fun!

------------------
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Apr 12, 2002 4:39 pm

"Death is only the beginning." The Mummy

Toplack

------------------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Apr 12, 2002 5:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Teyaha:
<B>
it took lur two months to finish shadow walk. he was not the first, nor the second, nor the 5th to do it. he knows the mud inside and out, being the previous leader of Errants of Deorc. it pissed him off that a necessary and highly sought after spell for a mage class took him two months to do.

I wasn't going to post, but I have a few things to say...

If it took him that long, shouldn't he have accepted it with good grace and humility, as it proved that even though he knew so much about this world, there was much he did not know? Shouldn't it have opened his eyes, and caused him to pause for a bit of reflection? Couldn't he have laughed about it, finding that despite all his vaunted power and connections, he was utterly helpless to complete this task which he presupposed to be simple?

[I'm not saying that we behave this way, but rather, that bitterness is not the only possible response.]

I empathize with you not knowing gate and relo... I've always found it odd that a lot of mages didn't know those quests... even tho somehow I knew them (well, I forgot relo by now, but I've never had a mage that high, so I still find it remarkable).

But, one thing I find odd, is that increasingly people define themselves by their ability to dump loads of time into this game. Why do those same people complain that things take too long to do? It's funny, isn't it?

As RPG World says - "savor the flavor."

------------------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Apr 12, 2002 5:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kifle:
<B>Hahah! Dieing is part of the fun!

You, torkur, and I should get along famously :P

Moritheil
-the ultimate equalizer-
Getting n00bs killed since 1995.

------------------
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Fri Apr 12, 2002 5:46 pm

*bow* to Cap'n Touk and Thorgald
I agree with you two 100%

The last time I checked, I realized I have been playing toril/sojourn for 9 years and I still don't know my way around most places. It doesn't bother me, I still have fun. Kinda feel alone this latest installment though, my "musketeers" all left for whatever reason, and I don't have my tight knit group anymore. If any of you like to explore i.e. moritheil, kifle, and torkur, take me with you! Death is a part of the game and the only reason I don't explore on my own really is because I hate being alone on this game Image
I remember having so much fun zoning with the elites, and going exploring with my tight group of friends in sojourn 2, and dying 6 times a day and shrugging it off, I rather miss it Image

t kianna ummm..you busy?
Kianna tells you, 'again? not in wd atm'

t rellanor ummm..you busy?
Rellanor tells you, 'brt'

see? its amusing Image

[6] Corpse of Jenera is lying here.

O_o

------------------
Jennie
@}--`--,---
Valke
Sojourner

Postby Valke » Sat Apr 13, 2002 9:40 am

Nokar, Ok Ok, it makes sense to me now, well at least a little more. I am striving to learn! learn! learn! Image A few hints would be nice, an exlporing posse would be cool, But, Why would people wanna join me to explore and learn a zone when they can do the damn zone with a person who knows it, get Eq, and NOT die? Perhaps an "elite" Image
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:29 pm

hrm.

well first of all moritheill, neither him or i devote much time to this game, havent at all this wipe. we have jobs and real lives, and real live > mud. therefore we dont take much stock in how much time folks have put in this wipe, we've done it previous wipes.

however three hours a day for 60 days is too much time for a utility quest spell. either:

a) make shadow walk shorter
or
b) make relocate longer

also i didnt say downgrade quests. man you guys need to read the posts before you comment on them, this is getting to be an epidemic. I had a problem with how difficult an established player here couldnt get clues that worked, or no clues at all. a handful of illus had the quest done at that time. i do have to say that everytime i asked corth he helped us. no, no SPECIFIC answers, it's not what we were after, but clues that make sense were.

please read the posts before you assume i'm asking for all quests to be downgraded.

and ultimately it's the evil political outlook and the general attitude of the mud this wipe that sent him packing, but that's another story.

alvathair been 46 since last summer, still dont have scales (i asked him other day)
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:08 pm

Does alvathair even play his chanter anymore...I think he plays a warrior now...thats probably why he doesnt have scales Image

------------------
Nokar
Sojourner

Postby Nokar » Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:17 pm

Valke,
I dont realyl care who I zone with or which leader I follow. Hell I've tried doing things before and after dieing repeated times I usually find a unique way of doing the zone.. That is why it is called learning. To do it and know that there is less than a 20% chance of a death is lazy. Yes you were there, you fought hard, you did your job, to me that isn't exactly earning it. You knew when you started that someone was going to be there to back you and pick you up if you fell. so you wouldnt die. Yes I've done that for people but usually at the expense of my life. Ask gort, rho(in his many many forms), gartra, tyros, maelgwyn, anyone that knows me who is 97% of the time the last one out, ME! I have tanked crazy ass shit to get everyone out. The ones who choose to only follow the "elite" leaders are the ones who dont really learn anything unless they log every run and analyze the log. hell thats partially I learned vault. I asked a friend for her log of her last vault run and All I took from it was the order to do the mobs in thats all. and I already ahd an idea as to what I would need level/class wise. and I did it but it took about 10 failed attempts but I did it same with gith, astral, bg, bgr, etc. There has been fewer than 10 times that I have lead a zone and not had at least one spank and more that not over something stupid. Hell Gartra has in her notes for vault and a couple other zones.
1. go do blah blah blah
2. loot blah blah blah
3. gsay Nok dont wander.
4. go to blah blah blah
5. give blah blah to blah blah blah
6. gsay noke dont wander.

the leaders learn new things as well as the followers. They learned that I was a little off my rocker and I wandered and they knew how to adjust to it and cut down dramatically on deaths. I LOVE TO EXPLORE is part of the reason I wandered. I hated going to Jot and just hitting only the mobs with the good eq. I wanted to see all there was there. so while people were mamming, afk, etc. I walked around. If I took a wrong turn everyone in group would know it and either run or have a gate or a well up by the time I made it to the room where everyone was at.
Or they would just yell and scream at me and tell me hwio stupid I was and I'd say okay, and thats supposed to hurt me how? on very rare occasion did I ever get TRULY pissy about what I got hell I loved getting left overs unless there was an axe involved! =P

L8r all,

Nokar Firewolf -GreatWolf- Pride of the Sabertoth

p.s. open your mind and your ass will follow.
-George Clinton-

------------------
I am the only one who can make the words "Ummm, guys?" strike fear into any group.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:21 pm

I'm against enchanters getting dscales at or before 46. This is speaking as an enchanter. Most of us had to wait til 47-48, and had to do the zones/mobs the scales came from a couple of times.

The quest SHOULD be a pain in the ass. It SHOULD be annoying. Dragonscales is not a utility spell. It is arguably the best damn spell in the game. Things in top tier shouldn't be easy to get.

My opinion does not reflect that of Malacar's. It simply reflects Malacar's.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:43 pm

alvathair is 47...he got 46 last summer. he nearly 48.

dont have a single scale and oddly enough he dont care. he figured that he'd never see the spell with the current state of the game's politics.

with the piss poor attitudes displayed as of late, you just have to wonder why huh?

how long did you wait after you got 47 before you got scales malacar? 9 months?

it was 4 weeks for me, basically was waiting for sok to help me kill tower dragon. i got q scale from yssilk, and already had the other two from killing the other two dragons myself in a group many months ago.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:52 pm

Hm.. I got my first scale early. At 44th I believe. Saks scale. But this was before the serious influx of Enchanters.

I got my 2nd scale as a gift when I hit 46th from Dartan.

I got my 3rd and 4th 2 weeks after hitting 48th, and only through pushing repeatedly to do CC, and asking for the scale up front. It took me 3 weeks to get from 46 to 48 though.

I hate politics myself, which is why I handed a bone white(Quturac) scale to another enchanter. And why DSR gave a scale to yet another enchanter. I've heard several other scales were given out by us also, but I haven't seen those firsthand, so I can merely quote hearsay.

I don't know Alvathair very well. I know him in the passing, but haven't grouped with him much. This game is all about who you know and how much effort you put in. If you put in a lot of effort, you are bound to get what you want.

I guess my point is: If he has put in the due effort required to get the spell, I don't understand why he doesn't have it.Like I said, I don't know him, so I can't speculate.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:49 am

deleted

[This message has been edited by sok (edited 04-15-2002).]
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:39 pm

there has to be at least 50 of the rare and the hard scales lieing in peoples bags. The other ones really arent difficult at all to do if you can borrow a group.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:44 pm

i'll see if he's still willing to break out al and get him a few scales. he's a goodie, but he's also one of my best mud friends so i'll do what i can.

he dont read the boards (smart, probably)so i'll tell him to look you up malacar. thanks.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”