Opinions: Half-elf ranger or Grey elf?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Opinions: Half-elf ranger or Grey elf?

Postby Rynlaeis » Fri Feb 02, 2001 4:40 pm

Which do you think is better? I've been thinking a bit on this and was wondering what other opinions were.
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Fri Feb 02, 2001 5:02 pm

Purely power speaking? Half-Elf on SojII was better. Greys better mem/better dodge, but lost out in the con/str department. It's been too long but there was a fairly significant gap between grey hps and 1/2 elf hps, and without spell_shrug greys just didn't make as good rangers as Half-elves.
Now if you want rp/fun grey's were the best, starting on the island, doing moonblade ect...
Half-elves are easier..but you might enjoy a Grey depends.
Belle
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Feb 02, 2001 6:25 pm

Human. I mean c'mon... no pointy ears or scrawny little elf jokes that way. ;)

Sarvis
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Fri Feb 02, 2001 7:32 pm

The hit point thing is realy though on grey elves. Rangers dont get jack for hit points to begin with so the loss of hitpoints goping from grey to half is realy substantial. Half elf rangers realy have it alot easier than grey elf. On the island it is easy to find groups since you are pretty much the best tanks available much of the time due to the lack of grey elf warriors. If you start on the continent you have axcess to better archery equ and still have the option of doing the windsong quest later.
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Fri Feb 02, 2001 10:29 pm

Well hmm, I guess grey elves get higher dexterity than half, but don't they both get the same agility? or not..

I would really prefer to be a grey elf and I'll almost definitely end up being one like last time but I don't want to feel like I suck compare to half-elf rangers :) So I'm trying to find reasons that greys are better.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Feb 03, 2001 12:14 am

Well, I've played both (Trel was a grey on Toril and a half on Sojourn 2) so I can give a bit more info. Both times I got to level 42, but the hit point different was quite big. As a halfelf I had around 450 hit points. That was about 100 or more than I had at that level with a grey elf. I think that as a halfelf I got +1 +1 (or maybe it was just +1 dam) better than as an elf at max strength notch. Grey elf agility is better but my two rangers didn't have close enough agility to really compare the difference. This could make more of a difference this time around since AC at higher levels will mean more but that doesn't help you much against area spells. For that, you might wanna grab a few potions to heal you a bit and just hope that a cloud, acid storm, or whatever doesn't blast you for 400 damage.

Trel
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Sat Feb 03, 2001 2:51 am

I encourage everyone to play human rangers.

Um. I'm still 1/2 grey, 1/2 wild, as the story goes!

Lost
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Feb 03, 2001 3:42 am

Heh, I think we need to get Arishae in here to talk about his experiences as a human ranger back on Toril Waelos =p Actually, I don't really see a problem with human rangers. Infravision was useful, but you still really need a torch to do any real exploring. According to what Kerloria told me, it was also easier to get to the max con notch, as opposed to me having to carefully plan out what high level hitter gear I would need to get to be able to hit but still maintain as good of a hit and dam roll as I could, with many of those items not very likely to be acquired anytime soon. You might age faster, but growing old doesn't mean the end of your career as a ranger. Waelos definately can elaborate =p The only thing is not being able to get Windsong . . . but basing things around just one item probably isn't such a good idea, especially since just cause half-elves and grey elves can get it doesn't mean they'll finish up the long-ass quest (just ask Lithius =) and there are still good one handers to be found which won't result in you getting killed if they proc while you're fighting a shielded mob and don't have a globe on =p Things like the rippling flames sword (okay, that might not be the best example since it's on a rareload dragon on EM but nothing prevents you from making friends with an elf or halfelf and asking them to check if the dragon loaded on a crash or boot, then gating a group over to them), black flames sword, and others are still nice weapons and usable by humans. There are more, but I'm not that knowledgable about good, high level one handers. Hell, I was still using a gleaming holy long sword at level 42 before the mud closed *sighs*

Treladian "Damn I wish I had a rippling/black flames/ebony bladed/etc. sword" Silentwind
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Feb 03, 2001 3:46 am

Oh, and Waelos, something that's bugged me for some time is whether you mean wood or savage/grugach elf when you say wild elf. They're kinda different (as in one asks intruders to leave before tearing them to shreds, the other doesn't bother asking) but both can be called wild elf depending on the setting, ie. wild elf means wood elf in FR since grugach only exist in Greyhawk to the best of my knowledge, natively anyway. Planar travel can deposit things in strange places =p

Trel
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Sat Feb 03, 2001 4:44 am

My human ranger had a windsong, not sure why being an elf is important. Just moongate into evermeet to do the quest. Not hard to find targets, just look on the who list for grey elves below 20th lvl.

Same deal with the white dragon.

Just need a 46+ lvl druid friend.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat Feb 03, 2001 5:54 am

Hmm... funny... I don't really remember seeing any human rangers but me around last boot. Maybe just wrong timezone I guess... heh. I thought windsong was elf only... and the +1+1 bow was definately elf only... so there's definiate advantages to being an elf-type ranger. But I'm a human ranger... don't want those silly pointy ears... hehe.

Sarvis
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:03 am

Yeah I forgot about that. Wasn't windsong elf only?

Well besides that the elven longbow was defintly elf only. It was so much better than the ash longbow and cost less to :p
Lithius
Sojourner

Postby Lithius » Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:06 am

Just to put my 2c,
Before Toril I had a level 34 Grey Elf Ranger named Limfor, he was good and all but the Strength and con difference made him a storage character. Then started out my half-elf Ranger, Lithius. I know theres a difference in Dex but when you get up in high level zones, I think HPs will save your ass MANY times. Also you'll worry less about hp/str eq and focus on ht/dmg cause we all know eq plays a big part in a ranger's life.

Lithius
Calinth
Sojourner

Postby Calinth » Sat Feb 03, 2001 7:19 am

Now, I might be wrong on this, but as I was told, you could use a windsong as a human, only catch was if it proc'd on you, and you weren't Elf/Half-Elf you took a lot of damage.

Calinth Winterleaf
Frensolith
Sojourner

Postby Frensolith » Sat Feb 03, 2001 7:31 am

half-breeds = more hps
__True__ Elves = better ac/bragging rights

Being a grey is alot of fun, ya I was a warrior but got same hps as the ranger types.
With the new importance of AC/fun factor, I'd say Grey's would be the way to go. On the other hand, I suppse rangers don't tank all that much, least compared to the warrior fellas so more hps might be better. But, just remeber yer shootin for something like a bit under 400 at level 400 as a grey. If yer willing to risk that, then enjoy!

Frensolith, Elven Warrior :)
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:57 pm

The elven bow was +2/+2 if I remember correctly. And what about this Moonblade thing? I saw one person with it and he refused to tell me how good it was, or is it one of those items that can't be identified or something?

Also as a grey elf ranger I had more hp than my elven warrior friend Faloran when we were at the same level, even though I'm pretty sure he had higher con.. maybe he was just really unlucky though.
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Mon Feb 05, 2001 3:33 am

In all the FR books i've read, elves are fearsome warriors who can't be touched, they are very quick and agile. Pit a human against an elf, and it seems the elf has the advantage. Why not increase the grey elf dodge/parry/riposte abilities, and increase their svsp? Seems both should be much better than they are. I mean come on, Artemis was good, but Drizzt was just better (even though he was a drow, not a grey)!

Galkar
Tagad
Sojourner

Postby Tagad » Mon Feb 05, 2001 6:18 am

I would highly suggest shunning the foolish elves. Everyone knows Adriorn Darkcloak was the bomb.

Tag
Lithius
Sojourner

Postby Lithius » Mon Feb 05, 2001 12:39 pm

Last night I had a dream that I was a Human freaking Ranger(PANIC), Thanks to Waelos.

Lithius
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Mon Feb 05, 2001 2:58 pm

Sadly the moonblade was just a fun RP thing,
intresting little quest, the blade wasn't much use, even before windsong I never used it (dualed valks).
Belle
Lithius
Sojourner

Postby Lithius » Tue Feb 06, 2001 6:58 pm

I got a moonblade, it looked cool but there was also another one wich was a part of a big quest that might have ben better. I also like my "The Blade of Blessings" for the RP.

Lithius
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Feb 06, 2001 9:00 pm

Iya = Adriorn?
Adriorn
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn » Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:53 pm

But I've been playing for awhile now!
*peer*
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Mar 30, 2002 4:14 am

if i were to make a ranger it would be grey elf for the extra attacks and windsong, or human for the hps (they have max con at 101 right?).
Lasar
Sojourner

Postby Lasar » Sun Mar 31, 2002 8:04 am

Being a "Bastard Child of Sojourn" I am inclined to say that a half-elf ranger is better. They get a nice balance of strenght and agility from both races along w/ the use of almost all eq of the two. Besides, who wants to play a boring race like a human or stuck up one of an elf :P Btw, the elven bow is +2 hit and the moonblade is +3 hit and +1 dam.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:15 am

I am considering playing a human ranger, for the higher str/con, and also for some RP purposes . . . what are the str/con max_ notches, and what is the status on archery currently?

------------------
-Daz Proudwolf, Tapestry Pirate
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

One, I don't know who in the hell you are.
Two, I don't CARE who in the hell you are.
This isn't personal.
THIS IS A GAME.

Erevan
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:24 am

my ranger is a half elf, taking everything into consideration id say they the best of the available options, tho he is the only race i play as a ranger, on both toril and here
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:29 pm

Okay, here's the argument...

Half-elf rangers get better hps, which means more survivability.

Grey elf ranger... well... you have to be ballsy to play a grey elf anything, which means you have the ability to take an underdog and persevere with it.

Strength? Con? These are NOTHING when compared to the cuteness factor!
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>I am considering playing a human ranger, for the higher str/con, and also for some RP purposes . . . what are the str/con max_ notches, and what is the status on archery currently?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm far from an expert on human stats, but I believe human rangers benefit from the same low max notches that paladins do - i.e. within 4 or 8 max_stat items you hit your notch.

As for archery, the damage still seems low to me. I'm pretty sure the gods know this and are working on it, so I'm not hassling them with questions. But it still seems lousy. Image

Sylvos
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:59 pm

Half elf of course. Image

I can get with all the human chicks thanks to my pretty elven looks and elegant deamenor, but I'm all human from the waist down baby! Image

Kallinar
Moo (Wheres da beef?)

[This message has been edited by Kallinar (edited 06-06-2002).]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:26 am

Rynlaeis,

talk to me when you start playing again. I've been meaning to clean a few items out of storage.

Although greys have made progress, it seems halfelves are still slightly better atm.

------------------
Dartan group-says 'why do I own so hard'
You whisper 'why do you own so hard?' to Dartan.
Dartan tells you 'I ask myself that every day.'
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:50 am

Hurm.. my experiences... wow...

*ponder*

I was a n00b when I played Jorus, except for in zmud stuff.

Here are the advantages to human rangers, as I see them:

1) Better dualing weapons (though not so much now, since glimmering is half-elf dualable). Humans could dual what, those 3d8 +4+4 longswords from scorn at 100 str, back when they were around. With max_str, who knows.

I'll have to work on getting proccing weapons into my database and compare weights.

I guess there's no real great offhand weapons that humans can use and lighter races can't.

2) MAX_CON... need I say more? Not only do you have more hps than half-elves normally, you can bump it up a notch.

3) Slightly more damroll than elves or half-elves. At high levels, damroll and hitpoints are at a premium.

4) Better crit hits.

The drawbacks:

1) Slower mem (not sure by how much though)

2) No dex-based bonus attacks.

3) Relatively sucky hometown.

4) Can't go to EM.

The stat-based advantages are lessened somewhat by the fact that rangers need to aim for 5 high stats, more than most other classes. The stat-based disadvantages are also compounded by this same factor (I'm just thankful cha-based groupsize was dropped...). Mind you, the disadvantages and advantages are modified for all ranger races in similar proportions.

Regards,
Jorus (one of what, four human rangers?)
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Jun 11, 2002 10:16 pm

What would happen if there were halfling rangers?

------------------
Dartan group-says 'why do I own so hard'
You whisper 'why do you own so hard?' to Dartan.
Dartan tells you 'I ask myself that every day.'
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Tue Jun 11, 2002 10:47 pm

You would have Yoda, the whirling ball of lightsabre's!

------------------
"Incoming force missles have the right of way!"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.
nedle
Sojourner

Postby nedle » Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:17 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B>What would happen if there were halfling rangers?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you'd need two halflings just to hold the better weapons...offhand with a str of 100 max weapon weight was 2, max wieght with 2handed weapon was 10 or a little over 10...with 113 str couldnt wield a 2handed weapon that had weight 15 (frosty)....ill have to re-experiment but it seemed like int, str and dex (although havent gotten right eq to thoroughly test this one) dont seem to notch at all with halflings....but either way we still rock =) gives the other races a chance...

Nedle the halfling sorcerer
Aedwyn
Sojourner

Postby Aedwyn » Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:25 am

Grey Elves are hella fun characters, the str and con are not that great, (ask me, my cons below 75...) but they're good for challenges.

Did i mention they're hella fun?

Aedwyn "bad rogue!" tindomerel

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”