Splits, EQ and Cash?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
celara
Sojourner

Splits, EQ and Cash?

Postby celara » Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:03 am

I'm going to be the unpopular one that people look down at for saying this, but I think it needs to be said.
Does anyone remember the good days of dicing/coppering eq and splitting the cash?
Whats with the handouts? And didnt I work for that money too?
Celara

------------------
Aim: damageXcase
Urbuk
Sojourner

Postby Urbuk » Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:10 am

goodie=bid
evil=mostly handout except sok.

cash splitting=ship xp.
ninja loot=zone (except sok, sometimes sok split cash for those who lose bid)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:55 am

i split cash like this (ship exp cash basically)

33% for the tank cause he wasnt afk
33% for me because i got all you fools together
33% i split amongst the rest of the folks who werent afk and fucking up.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 06-12-2002).]
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:34 am

Just depends on who's leading Celara. Most everyone topside dices eq. Actually to be honest, I haven't seen any handouts since the last time Petrock led a group.

As far as the coin thing, yea in most experience groups for awhile it's been evident to me that the leaders are gobbing the money and not splitting :P probably on the premise that you should be tickled to be getting xp.. bastids.

------------------
Ensis Inferni
Bish Enterprises Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 Fydollaho Productions.
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:38 am

eq split is up to the leader.
cash split??????
You receive you share of experience. TRIG-get coins corpse
i never split cash, unless you are a newbie, in which case that cash actually means something to you and more than likely i have been letting you loot from the start. otherwise i keep all cash looted unless someone says hey, i need some cash im short...
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:40 am

In most of the groups I've been in, cash goes to the leader. In almost all zones, and in a few exp zones, it's looked at as his reward for leading. A leader has to be active in the group. He can't put on an assist trigger if he has to go to the bathroom. He probably had to spend some time and energy (depending on zone) learing the zone, key words, mob procs, etc. Most importantly, the leader is the one who coordinates the 3-15 players he's leading around into a cohesive fighting unit.

So, usually he keeps the plat. And in dicing groups, the leader gets the slight advantage of knowing where all the bids are before he places his. He can snag an unbidded item, or play the odds however he wants. It's just his reward for putting in effort above and beyond the rest of the group.

- Ragorn
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:45 am

I've never done an exp group where the cash wasn't split. In zone groups yeah, leader keeps cash, but in exp groups too many people still need the coin.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:55 pm

I try to loot/split cash but people and there dam twinky triggers need to learn if ...

you != leader kill ur fuckin looters unless told otherwise *nod me*
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:02 pm

hi 5 pink!

Caz u actually keep 33% just cause?? wow! that's like an outrageous bank interest rate of sorts! I usually use the split command if i lead exp .. unless i forget to split...which i do often... or have to leave mid group ... nothing personal at all ... im just blonde *shrug* ... if people join group i expect them to turn off their looters just as i do when following people ... some xp groups have a ninja type looting .. whoever gets the cash first?? all depends on the group i guess ...

best advice ... define the rules when the group forms ... that way noone gets the wrong idea

i typically annouce who's job is what ... if i am leader i always loot .. well im a phatass Ogre who can carry 10k copper *shrug*
........couldnt believe someone actually applauded me ONCE for having my head on straight .. i laughed HARD!

my 2c

o i also pick up coins if people drop them .. every copper counts ...

------------------
Ambar -= Big Pimpin' =-
Valke
Sojourner

Postby Valke » Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:07 pm

Sszantiel hooked me up with this auto loot trig and I had no clue how to shut it off at the time, It was great I made lots a money!

*as for most zones Ive been in, peeps have there auto trigs looting coins all the time, and in Exp groups, they are only turned off when asked and coin is only given to peeps who ask!
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:20 pm

i stop trying to moderate the looting of coins.

but the biggest thing is the new gget thingy and only group coins being split i stop spliting coins. it's just another thing to keep track of and if u die it's just more pain. i like the old coin split. bring that back.

if u quick go ahead and loot. if there's a fuse i will dice the coins off.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:31 pm

"goodie=bid"

"Just depends on who's leading Celara. Most everyone topside dices eq. Actually to be honest, I haven't seen any handouts since the last time Petrock led a group."

Things have changed a bit this wipe. Some goodie leaders will use handouts but not all the time. Trogar and Dorn both did a lot of handouts early on in the wipe since it was a fairly small amount of goodies that were zoning and the repeated hitting of vault, sg, ribcage, brass, and jot meant that you would be seeing a piece of eq you needed very shortly in the future. Sometimes it's not worth the trouble of figuring out who should get what though, especially if it's from a place where there's only a few items (ie, air of fire), there are a bunch of rare items (ie, smoke or jot invasion), or the place is just really seldomly done (ie, Tia Image). Ultimately, it's a leader's preferences towards a particular situation and the ones that do sometimes do handouts will ask beforehand if there are any objections and ask for a list of items that you'd like, not just one item, so you see a better chance of getting something.

"As far as the coin thing, yea in most experience groups for awhile it's been evident to me that the leaders are gobbing the money and not splitting :P probably on the premise that you should be tickled to be getting xp.. bastids."

This is a bit more annoying if you play a ranger or a rogue. Poison and arrows don't grow on trees after all. While some poisons aren't bought, the ones that are used most frequently are and the carved arrows are a complete joke due to how often they break and how long it takes to make enough to replace what gets lost. There are other ways to supplement income, but not everyone knows about them or is crazy enough to try them Image.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:48 pm

You callin me crazy Trel? :P
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:51 pm

Someone says "Who's crazy?"
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:06 pm

I mostly just leave shipgroups where i can see the gold isn't split.

I just ofcource find some other lame excuse so i don't sound like a greedy n00b.

/Disoputlip
(Denmark creamed France *TAUNT*)
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:12 pm

Since your a communist, Disoputlip, you must like a system where the leader takes all the cash and then purchases you a vit potion or two with what little money is left after he blows the rest on pleasure slaves in calimport and fine portraits in ribcage. Image

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
lucuduzur
Sojourner

Postby lucuduzur » Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:31 am

Actually, all the money goes to the Cleric of Sojourn fund, if you die that is *cackle*.

Remember, there's no refund and there will never be one. *giggle*
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:21 am

I doin handouts now. Just bored of people I group with all the time losing again and again, or the mage with two eldritches walking away with the amethyst etc. Random dice has a fairness to it, but it doesn't get people in a position where they can zone. I have led brass maybe 30 times and done random, I own no ame. It is unluck and bound to get stuff sometime, but as the main tank in most of the groups it makes no sense. If several people can use equally, then i dece between them. It is also fair that you may want to get a nice item for trading purposes, but I always prefer to go get that item in the regular fashion, especially when folk in the group can actually use something that they hunted for. Also before heading out on a hunt, we can decide as a group what we should be hunting for, that works. I am also keeping a table of folk who did a kazillion zones with me and got nothing, so that we can say "hey, we goin to FP and dang nabbit talomis gets the prize this time". Akin to touks old bonus bid sheet, I shudder at the growing size hehe. I have added a group trigger with a tell that makes sure everyone knows this at start, if they not like, then can go solo pods etc. The values of some folk where getting quip over going to obscure zones makes me wanna do handouts. People who wont do a zone cos they 'might' not be in line for something I don't really wanna group with anyhow, besides, we try to bring spice when can and that's fun! *ruffle kifle* Image *skip* *end rant*

Ladak / Sarell
Safe Travels

------------------
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:24 am

Ya know, with all these different methods of splitting stuff, it would be great if you people who regularly lead start a new thread and just post your leadership/eq splitting style. Then everyone can be informed before hand.

------------------
"Incoming force missles have the right of way!"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:57 am

yea i keep 33% cause

im the one who takes the initiative to get people exping.

im the one who keeps it going by organizing replacements.

im the one who organizes the transportation.

im the one who takes the shit for telling people no.
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:27 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>yea i keep 33% cause

im the one who takes the initiative to get people exping.

im the one who keeps it going by organizing replacements.

im the one who organizes the transportation.

im the one who takes the shit for telling people no. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do all that when I lead Exp as well and I still split the coins because...

I'm the one getting the experience and I ain't getting experience without all these other people who have to put up with a leader like me.

The other reason is that I would rather lead the exp than follow someone who doesn't do it well or know how to control the group. So if I hand out the coins I am much more likely to get people to come do exp the next time.

The difference in cash is not that big a deal and what do you really need cash for these days anyway? I have had 3 k P in my account for some time now.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:41 pm

"Ya know, with all these different methods of splitting stuff, it would be great if you people who regularly lead start a new thread and just post your leadership/eq splitting style. Then everyone can be informed before hand."

Some leaders switch around depending on the situation. No system is perfect, but some are more suitable for different groups. Not being tired down to any one system lets people get the most out of the different advantages.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:20 pm

If they change thier leadership style drastically, they can just edit thier original post to include thier changes.

------------------
"Incoming force missles have the right of way!"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>Since your a communist, Disoputlip, you must like a system where the leader takes all the cash and then purchases you a vit potion or two with what little money is left after he blows the rest on pleasure slaves in calimport and fine portraits in ribcage. Image

Corth

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I prefer to get 10 plat for all trips no matter how long they took. Then the leader can donate the rest to his association, and I can get in line and spend my cash at beef jerky and waterbarrels in dk.

/Disoputlip
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:18 pm

yea getting exp is great, and when i dont lead thats all i expect. however, it seems to me that a lot of folks will sit around doing nothing until someone says lets go do something. maybe im being a bit greedy, but i can live with myself.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 06-13-2002).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:59 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Treladian:
<B>
Some leaders switch around depending on the situation. No system is perfect, but some are more suitable for different groups. Not being tired down to any one system lets people get the most out of the different advantages.

Absolutely. Every situation is different. I learned a long time ago that no matter how you split eq theres going to be something unfair about it. Once you accept that fact, you realize that the unfair thing that is least offensive is that people don't always know in advance how you will split. Your better off having a fair split then a sure system of splitting. Sure, if you know in advance your going to be handing out, its preferable to tell people. But sometimes you don't know in advance.

Its not like you can do anything at all that you want. The most difficult part of being a leader is gaining the trust of your followers, and you certainly wouldn't want to jeopordize that. I will hand out sometimes, but only when there is a good reason to do so, and the people in the group would understand and agree. Otherwise I am usually dicing between people that can use the item for their grouped character. And sometimes, for other reasons, I bid out an item to the entire group.

I think in general, handouts cause more trouble then they are worth. But shit, if i have done MD two dozen times and the cleric I have gone there with every time doesn't have the sleeves, I am going to be very open to the suggestion of handing him the item.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:24 am

I have found that opening bids to everyone is the best and most fair way to go imo. Everyone has contributed to getting every piece of eq, so every PC has a chance to win that piece of eq. What you do with it is up to you.

As for cash, I definitly feel that the leader of zones should get to keep the cash as part of the headache for controling rather frantic groups. As for exp, the loot should be split, because a lot of ppl count on the loot from exp to buy their essentials (potions, scrolls, etc.)

I don't feel comfortable doing handouts, because it can lead to favoritism, and I try to avoid that Image

selias
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:04 pm

Let me put it this way

It you loot all the cash and don't split it and give some lame ass excuse like "the guild is keeping the money" then your a poor excuse for a leader.

Leading is something you CHOOSE to do so don't expect any thing extra for it, if you want more fine, roleplay a mercenary that only works for cash... If you think you are 'above' the rest of the group just because your name is on the top of the list then think again.

People that constantly loot the cash in zones even after being asked not to should have their bid ignored just for being ignorant to leaders requests time and time again.

People that tell me not to loot the cash but still do it themselves just shit me...

I have NEVER got cash split after a zone since soj3 started unless i lead/looted it myself.

If you want to claim zone cash for your guild great, but dont ask anyone outside your guild to help out, you obviously don't appreciate them enough to give them a few plat to cover their skill practicing you seemed to enjoy while they kept your group alive...

PICK A LOOTER, ASK THEM TO SPLIT THE CASH AT THE END AND IF THEY WANT THE GUILD TO HAVE THEIR SHARE GREAT, IF THEY WISH TO KEEP IT TO PAY FOR THEIR GUILD FEES EVEN BETTER!

EVERYONE NEEDS CASH, STOP ACTING LIKE TWINKY FUCKS!

------------------
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Protector of Clan Prowlingwolf
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:25 pm

As far as gear I just dice it. I don't tend to lead zones for things I need, I just do it cuz I can. I'm iffy on the general dicing where anyone can bid anything though. I get slightly annoyed when a decked hitter bids eldritch or somethin to trade when there's a caster with 400 hps wearin scarlets. I've personally done ET almost 20 times and no earrings here (bitchwhinehint)but shrug, thems the breaks.

As far as coins its first come first serve though! You beat me to da coins and you keep 'em, otherwise they go to my hookers'n'wine fund!

Edit: I generally don't take coins in expin runs. I don't really need it cuz I'm there for exp not cash.

[This message has been edited by Tanji Smanji (edited 06-15-2002).]
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:43 pm

Touk's is, by far, one of the better bidding systems I've seen. I've lost quite a few bids in his groups, gotten quite a few as well. When I bid an item in a group it bothers me not in the least if the leader wants to give it to somebody who really needs it, instead. The best systems I've seen diced the equipment between the people that really needed it, instead of open dicing to anybody and everybody.

Yes, I like doing quests, and often the items I'm bidding on are quest items, sometimes for a quest where I know what the end result will be, sometimes for a quest I want to do, but have no clue whatsoever what I'm going to get out of it. I'd love it if I got all the items I'm always after for quests, but when there's somebody else in the group who has a real need for that piece, then they should obviously get it.

I've kind of gotten to the point where I abstain from quite a few bids, and often when I'm bidding it's for either an alt or a quest item. Sometimes it's annoying to spend hours helping somebody out just to be told that I'm out of luck, but that just means I have to go back again, and the next time maybe all the casters will have that piece. I've won bids only to find out that somebody else in the group really needed the item, so I gave it to them, and I've won bids and walked away not feeling bad in the least, because I'd been to the zone enough times to feel like I'd helped enough other people to get it, and sometimes it's just going to be my turn.

So if I bid that mage item and win it, then walk away without looking back, only try to understand that I've probably bid on it a dozen or so times already, and I wouldn't be bidding if I didn't have a reason.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:45 pm

If I lead an exp group the coins go to the best ninja. If I lead an eq group I use full bids. Makes splitting eq much less of a hassle.

------------------
Dartan group-says 'Malacar I'm going to dropkick you for starting that omg Ymir thing'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:45 pm

If I lead an exp group the coins go to the best ninja. If I lead an eq group I use full bids. Makes splitting eq much less of a hassle.

------------------
Dartan group-says 'Malacar I'm going to dropkick you for starting that omg Ymir thing'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Jun 15, 2002 6:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by celara:
<B>I'm going to be the unpopular one that people look down at for saying this, but I think it needs to be said.
Does anyone remember the good days of dicing/coppering eq and splitting the cash?
Whats with the handouts? And didnt I work for that money too?
Celara

Eventually you run into a situation where leaderX has lead zone 10+ times but hasn't gotten any of the eq he wants... so s/he says, "reserving, 3nj0y"

The money is a more casual issue; rogues aside, I can't possibly imagine highlevels desperately needing another 25p from a zone. Well, to rephrase, I can, but anything I would want to buy is always either sold too fast or not up for plats. Thus, the Tinkerbag fund. It's really all plats are good for...
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Jun 15, 2002 6:43 pm

Oh yeah, and PS: Most of the time I don't use loot triggers, so I can't even split the coins, because I have no idea who took them. Image

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”