UNIX - Windows question

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Dalar
Sojourner

UNIX - Windows question

Postby Dalar » Sun Jun 23, 2002 5:35 am

How do I read a disk that has WordPerfect documents from a Unix computer on my Windows computer?

------------------
Dartan group-says 'Malacar I'm going to dropkick you for starting that omg Ymir thing'
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:40 am

The simplest method is to convert them into an intermediate format: rtf or just plain text are both probably best.

If that isn't an option, see if you have AbiWord, OpenOffice, or StarOffice on the Unix system and it should open it directly.

You know how to mount the floppy? (crude jokes aside?)

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:30 pm

well i can't even open the disk on my windows computer. says the format is wrong...

------------------
Dartan group-says 'Malacar I'm going to dropkick you for starting that omg Ymir thing'
Zogur
Sojourner

Postby Zogur » Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:41 pm

Read it in on a unix machine, mount a floppy disk with mount -t msdos and write files to the floppy. Or use mtools (msdos tools for unix).

------------------
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:39 pm

Umm... guys, I think he wants to go the other way around. From UNIX _to_ Windows.

That said, you should just be able to pop the disk in and read it normally. Was it formatted on a windows machine before you used it on the UNIX one?

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
<B>Umm... guys, I think he wants to go the other way around. From UNIX _to_ Windows.

That said, you should just be able to pop the disk in and read it normally. Was it formatted on a windows machine before you used it on the UNIX one?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
right. it was formated on the unix machine first. basically my mom use to work on a unix machine and has all her word perfect files on a disk from that machine. now she can't read her disk on a windows computer

------------------
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:44 pm

Why the hell do you have *word perfect* documents on a Unix formatted disk?

Okay, that changes things, what version of Windows are you running?

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Elseenas:
<B>Why the hell do you have *word perfect* documents on a Unix formatted disk?

Okay, that changes things, what version of Windows are you running?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dunno i should ask my mom that. The version of Windows I'm running is WinXP.

------------------
Tagor
Sojourner

Postby Tagor » Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:47 pm

The first thing you need to know is what kind of file system the unix disk is formatted for. If you know what flavor of unix it came from we can guess pretty easily.

If the unix happens to be linux, this will probably work for you:
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

If it's not linux, then the second most likely case would be the UFS filesystem which a number of unices use. I don't know of any utilities off the top of my head to access a UFS filesystem under windows. Worst case scenario you could boot with a freebsd/linux floppy and then mount both your windows harddrive and your wordperfect floppy and copy the files over - freebsd and linux both support numerous filesystems, including msdos and ntfs. Windows of course only supports it's own filesystems, in traditional microsoft style.

Also, MS Word can open WordPerfect files, so once you get the files over you shouldn't have a problem there. You probably already knew that.

Tagor

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”