Trade Wars 2002

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Tanras
Sojourner

Trade Wars 2002

Postby Tanras » Wed Feb 28, 2001 11:27 pm

After sojourn went down, I went to the trouble or starting a trade wars server. Many of you will have fond memories of playing. Anyway I decided to reset the game and tell you all about it. Telnet to koobiak.stanford.edu and make a guy and beat the crap out of each other.

Thanks Drive Thru,

Tanras/Gunger/Avestan
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Thu Mar 01, 2001 12:18 am

oh, dont use zmud, either telnet or get an ansi telnet program Image

Tanras
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Thu Mar 01, 2001 4:14 am

Cool... I'm there.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Thu Mar 01, 2001 6:53 pm

Is the server down right now? I can't get through Image
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Fri Mar 02, 2001 6:30 am

Oh yea baby! Love this game.
Port 23 naturally

Hauck Minogna warps into the sector.
Hauck Minogna starts powering up his phasers.
Hauck Minogna rams you with the nose of his ship.

Galzar
Sojourner

Postby Galzar » Fri Mar 02, 2001 6:38 am

god tanras i aint seen trade wars in almost 10 years, i forgot how to play.
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Fri Mar 02, 2001 8:13 am

it has been brought to my attention that you can use zmud, just turn it to character input instead of line input.

Tanras
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Sun Mar 04, 2001 2:00 am

Tanras, thanks so much for hosting what is turning out to be a very fun and interesting game!

Your modifications look cool, especially that very expensive ship the "Saks Inferno"!

-Nokie!
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Sun Mar 04, 2001 4:53 am

It's going to be very interesting indeed. you better run and hide Nokie! The federals are not going to put up with your stealing and thievery for long. They have (in a way) hired me to help hunt you down. And I have commishioned the help of an old federal friend, Gyver. Together we intend on ridding the universe of your type.

Hauck Minogna
StarGazres Inc.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Sun Mar 04, 2001 5:49 am

eep! Hunt me down? But I have a respectable business to run! (NO KEY Inc.)

And I'm not stealing! I'm *borrowing* the equipment from the ports, I give it right back!

Don't let those big meanies hurt poort innocent, mis-understood Nokie! Join NO KEY Inc. today!

-Nokie Quickfingers!
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Thu Mar 08, 2001 3:38 am

You gotta watch out for the nav hazard, Agreiver!

Nokie Quickfingers!
agreiver
Sojourner

Postby agreiver » Thu Mar 08, 2001 6:25 pm

I KNOW THAT WAS BULLSHIT... twice in 2 minutes!! As soon as a buy a new ship and outfit it I died again. Now I dont have shit.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Thu Mar 08, 2001 6:50 pm

I know it's Tanras's game and he's the sysop. But come on:

Somehow 'acquiring' enough cash to buy two 4,000,000 credit ships and enough fighters to defeat the 77,000+ defending ferrengal is very blatant.

If this sort of thing happens to defeat other players, I suspect that no one will play. How much fun will that be? Might as well bang a private game and give yourself everything. That gets boring really quick.

*sigh*
-Nokie Quickfingers!
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Thu Mar 08, 2001 7:25 pm

I assume by reading this that Avestan in fact defeated the Ferry's Home world. I am not shocked at all if that is true. We unfortunately weakened it to near walk in and takeover status, in fact I was planning another run at it last night or today. With 1600 turns you can pull down about 2 mil a day. So it's doable.

Now what does hurt a game is creating NavHazes of 50% surrounding SD at day 7. Wonder who coulda done that dasturdly thing?

Curious how much cash was on that planet? I'll kick myself if it was alot, cuz I couldv'e taken it out I think if I had planned a tad bit better.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Thu Mar 08, 2001 7:36 pm

But nav-hazarding stardock is a completely valid and commonly used strategy. And trust me, it cost a lot of money to buy all those planets and detonators. I'll be sad if I find all those sectors mysteriously cleaned up.

I checked Ferrernal the day after you guys were defeated invading it and there were 77,000 fighters defending it. Let's assume for a moment that it takes only 70,000 fighters to invade.

And if we make the assumption that someone can make 2 million credits/day fro port-pair trading. Then in a 7-day game, that's 14 million credits:

1 Sak Inferno : 4,000,000
1 Sak Inferno : 4,000,000
70,000 fighters : 15,750,000
----------------------------

It's fuzzy math! Something doesn't add up, don't you agree?!

-Nokie Qucikfingers
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Thu Mar 08, 2001 9:52 pm

Ok I have a question. There are 2 Rlvls, one is for military action, the othe Q-cannon. There were 83T when I went to land, I had oh 7,000 figs. The %RLvl was at %40 what exactly does that mean in how many figs I could expect to launch from the planet? 33,200? leaving 49,800? now if they destroyed me that means they lost some of the 33,200, does the rest return to the planet to make up the 77,000 you said they had left?

I'd love a lesson on Military and Q-Cannon %RLvls Image
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Thu Mar 08, 2001 10:08 pm

Right. %Reaction level is how many fighters from the planet willgo offensive and attack you immediately as you try to land. When they destroyed you, the remaining fighters returned to the planet.

I'm still scratching my head how he pulled off legitimately defeating those 77,000+ fighters.

Q-Cannon Secotr reaction level is what % of the fule ore is used to attack somoene entering the sector. The atmospheric q-cannon reaction level is what % of the fule ore is used to fire at the ship as it attempts to land.

-Nokie
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:38 am

heh there are two ferrengals due to some bug, I removed one Image Im not "playing" the game so dont worry bout me.

Tanras
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:47 am

I suspected this was the case (you not really playing the game).

I apologize for any accusations,Tanras. The game is developing quite nicely and you've done a terrific job customizing it. Although it is a shame that the Saks Inferno requires a fed commission :P

Nokie Quickfingers!
Braggo
Sojourner

Postby Braggo » Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:54 am

Ugh I can't get on Image i put koobiak.stanford.edu into the connect to a remote system box but it doesn't work...maybe i'm just using telnet wrong seeing how I never use it Image

Braggo
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Fri Mar 09, 2001 2:37 am

Ugh, you removed the ferrengnal that wasted all my corps ships and figs???

I want a refund!

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 09, 2001 3:27 am

Ooooooo TradeWars!

I still have my registered version from 1989 :P

Anyone found a decent server version that runs on UNIX?
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Fri Mar 09, 2001 3:33 am

Not yet Mystra.
There is quite a large TW2002 community out there and they run tournaments regulary.
Unfortunately the guys are so good that it's like going to a national quake tournament as a casual player. It's a shame too because most mere mortal players are so far out of their league on those games that it's no fun. It's so nice to have Tanras running a game that isn't dominated by the 'pro' TW players.

The best you can do (right now) with a unix server version is to get TWGS and run it in Linux under Dosemu.

Some interesting links:
http://twgs.tradewars.org/
http://www.tradewars.org/
http://www.twlinks.com/

Supposedly a company is making TradeWard into a graphical MMORPG type game:
http://www.tradewars.com/

Enjoy!

Nokie Quickfingers !oo!
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Sat Mar 10, 2001 4:11 am

In an effort to stop spamming this board, I made a message board that can be found at

pub58.ezboard.com/tantw

Tanras
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:01 am

Hey Tanras, are you still alive???? I miss you man!

I know you have a char on soj3, lemme know what's up. I think you should come back full time. I still get all puffed in the chest thinking about how I helped a lil guy out who ended up being an uber lich Image

Hell, at least stop by to say hi to me. See ya in the flufalloes!!! (Take care Tan)
Rurga
Sojourner

Postby Rurga » Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:00 pm

Well ill be damned. I've been playing tradewars and LoTR for a few months on friends telnet boards. Im gonna have to start playing somewhere else apparently too.

------------------
Rurga - The Sigil
Rurga
Sojourner

Postby Rurga » Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:52 pm

Or I could respond to a year old thread and not realize it. Whoops.

------------------
Rurga - The Sigil
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:46 am

You likie the Tradewars?

Ill start it again if people want it.

(Yes I still read these boards about once a month)

Tanass
Rurga
Sojourner

Postby Rurga » Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:25 am

I'd play if you started it up again. Tradewars is mad elite.

------------------
Rurga - The Sigil
Igvar
Sojourner

Postby Igvar » Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:38 pm

Heh, when I read this thread it got me thinking about how much I used to enjoy the game. Way back before new fangled things like the "Web" and "MMOG's."

So I looked up some of those links Nokie posted and downloaded one of those neat helper/scripting prog's and have been busily getting my butt kicked by these TW enthusiasts. At least I'm learning a little now.

Igvar/Guz
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:27 pm

so this group is as likely to remember this as any odd group.

do you remember an old door game in which you fought mutant cheerleaders and other post-apocalyptic fiends? It had two options, you could let the game determine whether you hit your opponent or not, or you could press your space bar when the countdown hit a certain number - which was flashed on the screen just a moment before it started to count down - and if you were within a certain number of dots of the number itself, you hit.

this game antedates LoTR by several years. I'd say about the time your 2400 baud modems were coming in to their own (and rumors ran rampant through the land about a legendary 9600 baud modem!)

If anyone knows the name, or better still, where it can be found, I would claim to be eternally in your debt (though the coin is minted rather cheaply and has no value beyond
your ears cherishing the sound of it.)

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:55 pm

I used to play the gmae you are talking about... an old door game. For the life of me, I can't remember what it was called though. It was pretty well done for its time and a lot of fun.

I want to say its name had something like 'wasteland' or 'radiation' in the title..

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuurg:
<B>so this group is as likely to remember this as any odd group.

do you remember an old door game in which you fought mutant cheerleaders and other post-apocalyptic fiends? It had two options, you could let the game determine whether you hit your opponent or not, or you could press your space bar when the countdown hit a certain number - which was flashed on the screen just a moment before it started to count down - and if you were within a certain number of dots of the number itself, you hit.

this game antedates LoTR by several years. I'd say about the time your 2400 baud modems were coming in to their own (and rumors ran rampant through the land about a legendary 9600 baud modem!)

If anyone knows the name, or better still, where it can be found, I would claim to be eternally in your debt (though the coin is minted rather cheaply and has no value beyond
your ears cherishing the sound of it.)

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:59 pm

Yeah, the TW2002 scene right now is mostly very hardcore players who sort of remind me of the 'elite' players here on Sojourn. They have been at it for so long that they have everything down to an exact science. It's really hard to compete with these guys who have been playing for so long.

Of course, the fancy helper/script programs don't hurt either!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Igvar:
So I looked up some of those links Nokie posted and downloaded one of those neat helper/scripting prog's and have been busily getting my butt kicked by these TW enthusiasts</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”