Networking question

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Ssimethiss
Sojourner

Networking question

Postby Ssimethiss » Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:23 pm

I'm in the process of buying a laptop, and have a question concerning networking it with my cable modem and desktop.

Obviously the portability of the laptop is an issue, I would want to be connected (with laptop) in 3 area's of my home.

Is it possible to run open lines to each of the 3 rooms (bedroom, den, living room), and just plug the laptop in before booting? Or would I have to shut down the hub before I plug-in/turn on the laptop?

The other option would obviously be wireless.. but I know next to nothing about wireless (only a step behind regular network knowledge for me tho :P). I assume if I go wireless, the hardware for laptop would have to be suited to the purpose.. hence I ask before I buy the laptop. (Is it possible to expand to wireless with a laptop, assuming a regular nic is installed already?) Would I be able to enjoy the speed of my cable modem on a wireless network?

The reason I ask is I already own the hardware for a regular wired network. I could easily hide and install the wiring and know a little about maintaining the network.. so would be easier than wireless, if it's possible to do :P.

Any knowledege, suggestions, or ideas? Thanks!

Ssim
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:30 pm

You would be able to plug it in to your network at any time without having to reboot anything. I would go wireless. Lynksys has a nice 802.11b access point with a 4 port switch that will share and optimise your cablemodem connection over 4 wired lines and multiple wireless connections. You would just a wireless network card for your laptop, and the Lynksys to make it happen. Installation is minimal for it all.

------------------
And shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
We will flow a river forth unto Thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritu Sancti.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:35 pm

http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=1581&cat=1588&scat=&e=11078938

Linksys wireless ap/4pt switch

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11032756&m=488&cat=540&scat=1572

Linksys wireless notebook card

------------------
And shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
We will flow a river forth unto Thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritu Sancti.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:38 pm

Here is what I use (and what I had Shev get) for wireless + broadband + firewall + easy to setup. (its ALOT better than running CAT-5 all over yer house)

its the SMC Barricade. I _LOVE_ mine. Gives me a 4 port 10/100 switch, 802.11b wireless (what most wireless use), DHCP (means can have up to 254 computers on one outside IP) with NAT and a firewall. Mine also has a printer port for printers without jetdirect ports (not all have it)

Its very groovy, not an uber amount of money and quite a solid product.

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/3407343

check it out.

-Garg

------------------

Gargauth the Outcast
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:31 am

But dude.. I'm a hardware junkie and love running Cat5e cable to all the rooms!
I got a 500ft box of cable, cut it to the length I need and crimp the connectors on. hehehe
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:59 am

get more cable modems! i've got 2 in my apartment :P no sharing bandwidth for me!

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:03 am

no sharing bandwidth eh daz. doesnt that define cable modem? hehe

wireless is the way to go for a laptop. cables are freaking annoying and nearly defeat the purpose. but once the novelty wears off youll prolly just use the desktop anyways. save your money get a long cable =).

oh and as for speed... i havent seen many services that will run to a house that will out do an ancient 10mb network and most home lan products these days are capable of 100 mb. a standard t1 is about 1.5mb cable modems and adsl typically max out in this range as well. Unless they gonna run fiber to your house or you sign up for wireless internet anything you buy will be faster than your connection to the internet. And then whats the real reward when most sites gonna limit your download speed to a fraction of a t1.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 08-16-2002).]

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”