Stupid HD!

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Daz
Sojourner

Stupid HD!

Postby Daz » Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:21 am

Ok, I attempt to install Red Hat 7.3 on my desktop. Because I use USB keyboard/mouse, the installation fails, (Red Hat can't handle that I guess - bleh).

I reinstall Windows, and funny things start happening. A month later, it crashes hard.

I rip out all extra hardware, leaving only my NIC, DVD, CD/RW, and HD. I run fdisk . . . delete all the partitions it can find, and format a single partition. This is an 80 Gig HD, but it creates a 7.5G DOS partition. I pop in my HD diag tools, and write zeroes to the entire HD, about 6 hours of writing. Now, I am getting more errors attempting to configure it.

What I am ultimately wondering is, how can I detect or remove a Linux-created partition and, assuming one is present - remove that partition from DOS or using DOS utilities? I have 80 Gigs, but it seems to me that it isn't all being recognized.

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:25 am

Red hate lunix?

------------------
-Yayaril
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:33 am

Hrm, the fdisk program may not cut it.

Try gdisk (it comes with some symantec products) - it has some more powerful tools, unsure if it will do what you want though.

Also, the manufacturer of the HD might have some tools - maxtor has PowerDiag, which has some good testing and reformatting features, for example.

There'll surely be resources on the net/newsgroups about disk utility software that might help.

------------------
Mogr -=BloodSeeker=-

---
Ashiwi says, 'Wrap a wire around a god's neck and hang on for the ride??? Gimme my spurs!'
---

[This message has been edited by ssar (edited 09-07-2002).]
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:02 am

U SHOUDL NOT USE RED HOT LUNIX!!!!11

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:56 am

I love how Linux confuses everyone... people who think they know almost everything about computers suddenly realize they only knew everything about Windows Image (not a flame to you Daz just a general observation I have made with friends over time)

As for fdisk not supporting Linux partitions, well we can thank Microsoft for their willingness to support other companies' technology!

Anyway, on your Linux CD there should be two partitioning programs, which will run even if you don't actually install the OS. Start the installation, and after you do the repartitioning just quit.

Partition Magic comes with a Dos executable as well, this works wonders.

Alternatively, do a search on the web for partitioning software. Surely there is some share/freeware out there too!

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 09-07-2002).]
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:03 am

WIPEHD will do the trick.

Try that Daz, I had the same problem ....abd WIPEHD did the trick.

/Colje
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:57 pm

I'm gonna try the partitioning from the RH software trick, colje - i did a google search, and found nothing conclusive about wipehd . . . . where can i find it?

also, i have run the HD's diagnostics, all of the available ones.

------------------
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:08 pm

Odd thing is, doing a low level format with the HD utilities is supposed to wipe all data on the drive, including boot secter partition info.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:43 am

after wiping everything with fdisk, and druid partion thing, and hd diagnostics . . . i go to format the drive, and it makes a 2 gigabyte drive, and says thats all the space.

AHHHH.

when i pretend to reinstall linux, it says - yeah, you got 58+ gigs on here.

bleh. looks like i wasted money.

------------------
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:07 pm

Some versions of windows expect the drive to have a bootable windows readable partition. Newer versions like 2000 and XP don't have this problem. If all else fails I'd load up windows on the 2 gig partition and install Partition Magic then delete offending linux partition and re do the partition structure.

PS you are formating as ntfs or fat32 correct?

------------------
Tesil2
Sojourner

Postby Tesil2 » Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>Ok, I attempt to install Red Hat 7.3 on my desktop. Because I use USB keyboard/mouse, the installation fails, (Red Hat can't handle that I guess - bleh).

I reinstall Windows, and funny things start happening. A month later, it crashes hard.

I rip out all extra hardware, leaving only my NIC, DVD, CD/RW, and HD. I run fdisk . . . delete all the partitions it can find, and format a single partition. This is an 80 Gig HD, but it creates a 7.5G DOS partition. I pop in my HD diag tools, and write zeroes to the entire HD, about 6 hours of writing. Now, I am getting more errors attempting to configure it.

What I am ultimately wondering is, how can I detect or remove a Linux-created partition and, assuming one is present - remove that partition from DOS or using DOS utilities? I have 80 Gigs, but it seems to me that it isn't all being recognized.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just headbutt it!!! *tease daz* Image
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:40 am

Ouch. Thats low! :P

Yeah, and I tried installing windows XP . . it installs, then reboots - and tries to install all over again, almost like it is installing itself to the part of the HD that the boot sequence can't find. ARGH.

------------------

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”