Least favorite zone?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
cherzra
Sojourner

Least favorite zone?

Postby cherzra » Thu Mar 15, 2001 7:57 am

Ok, we all have our favorite zones, and usually it's jot for most people - or at least somewhere in the top 3.

What are your LEAST favorite zones? Why?

I personally dislike tiamat, it's just a huge drain on XP. There is little to no tactics/skill involved, just grab as many people as you can (we had 40+ last time) and enter the pools, die 10x and finally kill those dragons.

Another zone I didn't like was Roots. This one involves a lot of tactics and skilled people, has innovative ideas - but somehow I just didn't like it. Image

Cherzra Eat Slime
Verarb
Sojourner

Postby Verarb » Thu Mar 15, 2001 8:12 am

Heh tiamat rocks! you'd be less inclined to say there's little or no tactics/skills involved if you planned a tripped from a day one and had a pendant count of 0.
no popping!
cring and regrouping 30+ people fast takes alot of skill and tactics.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Mar 15, 2001 8:13 am

I've always hated jot, cause its in sunlight!

/Jegzed
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Thu Mar 15, 2001 8:22 am

Hell

it is just boring
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Thu Mar 15, 2001 9:01 am

Um Deep Dragon hunting for goodies.. Not a good zone to jump into..

But as far as sucky zones, hmm Undead farms lower lvls, although i usually got to do the 1 way rooms (which i love) having the rest of the group stand about while those rooms are cleared does get old, people get restless and loose interest. The rest of the zone is fun for all, but i hate the waiting for everyone at the start while one player has all the fun.

------------------
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Protector of Clan Prowlingwolf
Thengil
Sojourner

Postby Thengil » Thu Mar 15, 2001 10:43 am

I used to hate Harpy Land way back... when you were a low level that place grated on your nerves big time.

Another area I didn't like was of course Dragonnia :P Fun thing happened to me there btw, along the way I fled into a fly room with no fly on, and dropped down.. only the rooms were looped so after falling like three rooms you were back at the top room falling down again which was really, really annoying.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Thu Mar 15, 2001 11:45 am

The halfling hometown of Lurien.

With all due respect to Shadowy (I used to play his mud, Darkover and think he's a great guy - we got along quite well). That hometown sucks!

Nokie Quickfingers!
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Thu Mar 15, 2001 12:18 pm

"Undead farms?" have you been down the well yet? That is very fun; all sorts of undead with a fast repop and a nasty vampire at the end. Great mini-zone IMHO, and good training for single file room warrior fighting to prepare you for roots and cave city.

Re: Tiamat, most of the time we did it with >20 people, and it did take skill. I love tiamat, don´t know where all the tia-bashing is coming from, if ya don´t like da dragon heat, stay outta da kitchen.

Hell is getting redone (from what I hear) Tanras, though I do have some fond memories of the old hell. Especially the lich, and Asmodeus, who could spank any party mightily.
-----
Personally, my two least favorite zones are griffins nest, and the griffin road.

The nest, while repleat with numerous quests, is a pain in the ass as a home town--it´ll probably be worse now what with the new neverwinter zones going in, feh.

Griffin road is too linear, I get claustrophobic. I like where Zhentil keep *used* to be, I think it got a lot more traffic when it was next to greycloak. After zhentil got moved, I never returned, and I used to frequent it quite a bit previously.

I think the Calim desert (*mislabled* the calimshan desert) needs a bit of work. There should be a lot more ruins there, and it should be much much bigger. There´s a lot of history in that region, not to mention the remains of the Shoon Empire, which collapsed some 900 years ago. The Calim desert would be a great place for NPC type mobile zones, specifically a camel caravan that can be attacked, or boarded for a fee--or players can get hired onto the caravan to fend off desert NPC bandits. At any rate there is so much you can do with this area, it is sadly underutilized--as is the entire region south of forest tethyr...

Roots is a good zone--generally I didn´t play as active a part in it b/c the majority of the time I played a monk while we did it--for a warrior it would probably be comparable to single room fighting in CC. And that belt is mighty spanky.

the Under Dark could do with a face lift--specifically make it much much bigger, and make more of it accessible to good race parties. When I think of UD I think of vast underground mushroom forests (see late 70s AD&D 1st edition module(s)). Granted what´s there is top notch, but expand Image

How bout some more zones off Astral and Ethereal?

Also, a lot more skuttergul size mini-zones. I can´t tell you the number of times we could only get together a small group (wiz,sorc,war,cleric) and there were so few options: skuttergul, moonshaes, undead farms...
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Mar 15, 2001 1:21 pm

Hm... more stuff is now south of Tethyr.

Skerrt-Gul, Hyssk and its support zones, DK, Forest of mir, the ruins, the bazaar and its other support zones, westfalls, the desert, conquered village, VT, luiren, CP...
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Mar 15, 2001 3:43 pm

I still hate brass Image

Long zone, difficult CR, most of the zone is big empty space followed by rooms of identical guards, and no rangerable items.

I'll stick with Jot for my fly cloak needs Image

- Ragorn
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Mar 15, 2001 3:46 pm

Or just talk to your local neighborhood enchanter. ;p

Mal the CHANTER
Elscint
Sojourner

Postby Elscint » Thu Mar 15, 2001 3:48 pm

Actually Brass has one item that was somewhat rarely done that will probably be great for rangers. I'm not sure if the stats ever changed but the flaming ringmail was ac17 +1hit +9str warrior only I believe. Not many people killed the mob that had it cause he was behind a locked door, the zone is no well and of course thieves and assassins weren't brought along much. The evils maybe did it I'm not sure if the utilized the doorbash of ogres or not for that item. But just to let you know you should maybe explore the item to it's fullest before saying there is nothing there =)

Elscint Hairytoes (The Halfling Sorcerer)
Luke
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Mar 15, 2001 3:55 pm

My least favorite zone was astral probably. It was rather bland and boring. Most of the others were at least marginally interesting. Image

Mal
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Fri Mar 16, 2001 1:33 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ruhr:
"Undead farms?" have you been down the well yet? That is very fun; all sorts of undead with a fast repop and a nasty vampire at the end. Great mini-zone IMHO, and good training for single file room warrior fighting to prepare you for roots and cave city.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't dislike the undead farms zone as such just that 1 way rooms give 1 maybe 2 people some fun whielthe rest of the group sits and waits. Nothing worse then being in a zone for 15 mins with nothing to do. Specially when the end item is for one guy's quest. Roots is like that too, fun for a few guys but the majority have to sit about. Great zone if you have an Avernus tho....

Undead farms would really rock it it was expanded to include more 'larger' mobs with worthwhile items. I'm sure it would be done much more instead of just for the Ice Bear boot quest..

Oh and roots sure did sucks for monks!! Bah! Here you hold your rat or just mess with that twig over there...

------------------
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Protector of Clan Prowlingwolf
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Fri Mar 16, 2001 1:37 am

I have to go with the upgraded Tiamat. Tiamat is a lesson in organization and human resource. Its really hard to organize 25+ people. Very tiring too, only zone that makes you feel tired after leading. Then splitting the EQ is another headache hehehe.

Ruhr made a neat point, I liked the undead farm. It was like a mini CC. Too bad it wasn't bigger.

Skertd-gul was cool. I thought that zone had atmosphere. Roots is boering unless you are one of the two people who kill the roots. Not a group interactive zone. As a warrior, I personally enjoyed it though.

I always liked Astral. There was always a small probability of an inevitable spank in astral. Learning to CR astral efficiently is a skill. Doing astral as a zone is tedius, as there is always one hiding mob!

I never really liked SF. It was long boring hit-and-run fights in my opinion. After the EQ was downgraded, that would be like the only zone left on a 50 hour boot hehehehe.

I always hated greycloak. After a boot, I would try to form groups but half the people would run to greycloak. I was annoyed Image

Heheh. I am looking forward to a nice walk arount Soj one day when it comes back up.

Tro
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Fri Mar 16, 2001 1:40 am

Ohohoh I forgot. The worst zone of all to do is fire plane! unarguable Image

Trogar Holyanvil
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Fri Mar 16, 2001 3:41 am

Roots ruled for monks with skills. Need a mob killed faster than a gimp warrior can do it? Team a monk with team a/b casters and let him do his work in the hard-flee rooms. Add a skilled warrior and 2 or 3man the hard-flee rooms, with summoners at the ready.

Mp
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Fri Mar 16, 2001 4:08 am

Fire plane still load the *flaming earring*? It was pretty annoying, but the earring is worth the suffering--only the split is pretty sucky, b/c of so few items...
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Mar 16, 2001 6:26 am

Last wipe the earring wasn't better than a jot skull earring... only the farsee was nice.
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Fri Mar 16, 2001 7:43 am

Hmm, weren't the old stats +2 hit -5 sv bre, farsee?

So the jot earring is +1 hit or something? Too long ago to remember...
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Mar 16, 2001 8:15 am

nope, +2dam on both, fire has some extra stuff like farsee and vsbr, the vsbr is nice I forgot about that.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”