Raburi

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:02 pm

Alright fukit! Change everybody's name to a random assortment of 2-10 characters. Let's all play the guessing game as to who we are! It'll be fun.
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:18 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sylvos:
<B>Alright fukit
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that similar to fukitcharge? If so, i'm all for it!

Greg
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rausrh:
<B>I was under the impression (by a quick google search, and the posts in this thread) that Raburi means lovely in Japanese.

The rest of the post is based off this assumption. If you have evidence to the contrary, please post it.

Asuming it does, this violates the nameing guidelines, yes? Working on this asumption, there is no grounds to complain when asked to change it. Just because most people might not know where the name is from, even if Dalar didn't, is irrelevant. It's in the rules.
People should not be calling the gods nozey, lazy, stubborn or malicious. Dalar should not be complaining that he was singled out, or targeted by the gods. Think of it as being unlucky.
What should have happend was Dalar should have said: 'What? It means Lovely? Crap didn't know that. Ok how about changing it to Bob? K thanks.'

"Please for the love of god never post again."
Sorry.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE STOP POSTING BECAUSE YOU DON'T BOTHER TO READ AND CONTRIBUTE NO RELEVANT COMMENTS.

------------------
[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Kiaransalee OOC: 'rangers suck'
Iyachtu OOC: 'and a lovely nite it is :)'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:25 pm

Elseenas :P

why the hell are you dissecting names .. sheesh!! *ambar spanks amenha*

AMEN? HA ! *wink*

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:51 am

It suxors that they made him change his name, i think this whole name thing went too far. But you people know what? When this whole thing started, people stated thier case, and said they could cite examples of other people's names that dont' follow the rules if asked. But some people such as Dartan went past that actually pointing fingers at specific names. So i can't help but feel that this is just poetic justice.

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001599.html

For those of you who don't know, even tho the gods made me change my paly's name from Aram to Dalen, it was Dartan who was ultimately responsible for telling them. My name is not Mara, and no one saw aram as "a ram", as proof of the fact, Aram was lvl 41 or 42 when they made him change name, and it was only days (even if that) after the above post that they made me change my name. Yes it still broke the rules, but no one knew, including me. And personally i thought of it as the perfect name for a human paladin, as did alot of other people. As of the name change, Aram was retired, i dont' play him, i feel like his identity was stripped. I just bring him out every once and awhile to lvl a youngling. =P Anywayz on to killin!

------------------
"Tracer fire works both ways"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun Oct 13, 2002 9:03 am

Your name broke the rules. A Ram is a compound word kinda. Raburi breaks no rules.

------------------
[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Kiaransalee OOC: 'rangers suck'
Iyachtu OOC: 'and a lovely nite it is :)'
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Sun Oct 13, 2002 10:45 am

I think Mr. combatmedic's point is that he feels you ratted him out. As such, he isn't feeling too sympathetic that Kia made you change your name.

If the gods can't catch a name before a char gets to level 30...seriously...neither Aram or Raburi are poor names, nor do they distract from the atmosphere in any way. Stretch the name rules and I'm sure you could make a case against 90% of sojourn's names.

Greg

PS-Didn't i read somewhere that someone's rl name is Kiarensalee or something??
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:02 pm

Aram is also a character in Robert Jordan's 'The Wheel of Time' series.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:57 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malacar:
<B>Aram is also a character in Robert Jordan's 'The Wheel of Time' series.

Personally, i always thought it was a bit too similar to that twinkyass palidork weapon Image

Good name though...probably why someone else used it in a novel.

Greg
Nikelon
Sojourner

Postby Nikelon » Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:54 pm

Hehe, throughout soj2 I played a human conjurer named Redos. After some heavy thinking just now, I finally remembered where it all came from...I randomly typed in letters (Radad) for a lycos screen name back oh...7 years ago. This name evolved into Redos within the year and I have used it ever since, especially for Baldur's Gate. Needless to say, I was quite miffed at Kiaransalee for making me change my name when I was a young invoker (I think it was around lvl 9) back when the mud first re-opened. I had just decided to change my perspective in BG and had rolled up an illusionist called Nikelon Thakrolon. So, naturally, I chose that name. Thinking back on it, I am -extremely- glad this happened. Nikelon sounds so much more...something! It's also really neat to be called by a nickname (which my short rl name never provided). Besides, if you do a google search of "Nikelon", you get mainly three things: some brand new sports fabric, odd languages I can't read, and pictures posted on an MSN board for the Asheron's Call Crusaders by a person named Nikelon (guess who? yep, that's ME when I still played AC).

So, a long story made short, everything happens for a reason, whether it's apparent then or not. That's my daily ramble...

-Nikelon/Dizhes

PS-Dizhes came of the autoroller and I really did mean to change it when I thought of something good, but the first tell I got from an old goodie friend was "nice name!" :P

------------------
Nobody's perfect.
I'm nobody.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:00 am

names are always a pain. Im glad i have had the same name forever and a day, and that it has been grandfathered, because Pantherclaw is no longer a fitting name for a barbarian to have. After reading this thread, i searched for thanuk on google, and i found out Thanuk of Thunder Delta is a mercenary god in some obscure fantasy series, copyright 2000. Now i had the name long before this series ever came out, but technically i am now in violation of this rule.
Most of you, I assume, know who I am. I have been here a long time, and I would say im one of the more uhm, vocal, players around here. I feel that I have earned a place among the legends here, that when people who have played this game a long time begin chatting about the good ole days or what you will, my name will inevitably come up. If i were to be asked to change my name due to the fact that Thanuk of Thunder delta came out, i would quit playing this mud. My name is more important than my class, my skills, my eq. It is my calling card. For those of you who say "Name doesn't matter", you are wrong. It matters more than anything else...I would give up any eq, any amount of exp, I would get setbit to level 1 and naked, before i would give up my name. I don't know if Dartan holds the same attachment to raburi, I doubt he could because he does not have as much time invested. But understand that its not just a name, its your identity. This is the reason it is such a difficult subject. I personally think Raburi should be allowed to stay raburi, although i disagree with the method he used to get his point across. Perhaps if you didn't make it such a confrontational "I am right, you are wrong" discussion, it could've come to a much more simple conclusion.
At any rate, to enforce name restrictions on this game is a very difficult task, and usually ends up to be based on someone's opinion, rather than fact. Is raburi too close to lovely? It's a tough call, and could go either way. This is why football has the instant replay.
(hey that rhymes)
But seriously, this is a tough issue on both sides of the coin. Im sure this is not the last time it will come up. So to both sides of the inevitable struggle:

Players: If you are asked to change your name, ask for a reason, analyze that reason, respond to it intelligently and without hostility. The gods aren't really gods, they are people who spend their time making this game fun for you. Except Shevarash, he is a tintin AI project started in 1992. If your name, like Aram, is just an obvious violation of the rules, suck it up and change your name. If you disagree, do so in a civil manner.

Gods: Understand that our name is our character's identity. It is, to most people including myself, the most important aspect of our character. I spent more thinking up my name than I did rolling my stats. At highlevels and after a good amount of time invested, it is a very big deal when a player is asked to change their name. So on tough calls like raburi here, i think it would be better for all parties involved that you just let it go. If its so close that it could go either way, why not be liberal? It will give us less to bitch about, and will save you from reading 100+ posts on the bbs. Easier=better, lesser=gooder, and then u dont gotta waste ur time with posts like this in the future!

In conclusion, Raburi and a selected god will play a double elimination game of SiLo, whoever wins makes the final decision on the name. The dice don't lie.
PLAY NICE

Edited for comedy.
------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

[This message has been edited by thanuk (edited 10-14-2002).]
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:28 am

I'm curious - were you fucking with Aram, or did you ruin your otherwise well written post by bashing him personally?

------------------
The wardens of the cage disallow all commands except say, petition, project and help
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:55 am

Not at all bashing him personally...
Aram, or A ram is like one of the most direct violations of the rules

2) Compound words. Examples: Lordfear, Hawkfist, Rainman
Aram fits right in there under rule #2
nothing personal against the guy at all, i could see how he missed it, but i mean there are names that are on the borderline and there are nobrainers, this would be the latter.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:41 am

Except Shevarash, he is a tintin AI project started in 1992.

You have NO IDEA how much that explains!!!

-Gerad Image

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:25 pm

Hey, there's a whole nother thread on this. Figured it was something about music, who knew. Perhaps this discussion could have had a different tone if Maedor hadn't started this new thread with a rant against the gods. That kinda ticked me off. But that is neither here nor there.

I understand that raburi is not an actual word/noun/name/etc. I also understand that it sucks getting your name changed no matter what level. I know there are names out there that probably also should be changed, heck, Elseenas seems to have some strange issue with mine.

I also understand that it is not my call to make on what is acceptable for a name. Not mine, nor Dalar's, nor Maedor's, nor Elseenas', nor Ashiwi's, nor Sok's. That is the gods domain. Obviously Dalar has pissed off someone he should not have.

Because I have never had a problem with the gods, and it seems like the vast majority of players have not, I usually take their side. If the gods made a decision I thought was wrong I would try respectfully, and logicaly explain my position. If that didn't change their mind, I would suck it up and play on. Posting rants, demands, and flames on the BBS is probably not the right way to go about getting back into their good graces.

*TANGENT ON*
Elseenas, I have also been debating the issue of war with Iraq. Now should my house be bombed because of my discussion or do I get to bomb someone else's? Perhaps you could sent me a copy of Elseenas's Rules of BBS Debate so I could be clear on this in the furure Image
*TANGENT OFF*

Hey dalar, I think your caps key is stuck.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:48 am

<B>I also understand that it is not my call to make on what is acceptable for a name. Not mine, nor Dalar's, nor Maedor's, nor Elseenas', nor Ashiwi's, nor Sok's. That is the gods domain. Obviously Dalar has pissed off someone he should not have.

Because I have never had a problem with the gods, and it seems like the vast majority of players have not, I usually take their side. If the gods made a decision I thought was wrong I would try respectfully, and logicaly explain my position. If that didn't change their mind, I would suck it up and play on. Posting rants, demands, and flames on the BBS is probably not the right way to go about getting back into their good graces.
</B>

um ok. gods are people too, they make mistakes. they deserve respect ect for their self sacrificing tendencies (although im sure most enjoy it or they wouldnt be gods)...

however, there is a big difference between gods and players. gods are in a position of authority and have a greater responsibility than players. players can fuck up be assholes and at most get asked to leave or banned. They never have to admit they are wrong and can be as obstinate as a steel door. When gods make mistakes and im not talking extremely technical mistakes because sometimes when your right your still wrong, they have to humble themselves, admit they are wrong and take corrective action. this is the mantle they choose since the start of soj3.. the days of getsapo gods is supposedly gone.

i call on all of you to reconsider dartan's name change. not because its not a technical violation of the rules (though probably violates the spirit of the rules). not because of the positive support he apparently has. definitely not for his in your face im right attitude, or his past transgressions, but because "raburi" is not an atrocious name. because you failed to catch it for several months and allowed him to reach numerous play days and very high level. because you took the single most important part of his character away in a extremely subjective and by appearances undebatable, decision. and because you work hard to create an environment where we enjoy ourselves, not one where we are subject to your whims and pleasures like the times of soj/toril.

I urge you to show us leniency in this insignificant matter.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:50 am

guys just stop.

there are a lot of names here that i can find in a crapload of books.

just one example:

gantoris.

he always claimed he picked the name before the jedi trilogy books were written, but as i open my first print copy of the first book it says (copyright and first published in 1993). long before he started on this game. he later in another mud claimed he came up with arcturis all by himself - too bad it's a star in the sky.

there are a ton of names that dont fit the bill, BUT you just cant be anal 24/7. some ar going to slip through. wtf would we call sok if his name were changed? sok is sok.

sides he's not in the game as sok this incarnation.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:36 am

actually his unplayed dwarven cleric is sok.

and yea its not a perfect system, but it shouldnt be a means of punishment for those you don't like. just feels like gods being stuborn on this issue for no good reason cept to be unquestionable.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:50 pm

Thanuk remember the good old days when we use to go hunting and get drunk. and then decide to molest them sheeps? well there was no sheeps, that might explain why your hidney hurts the following day.
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:02 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thanuk:
<B>Not at all bashing him personally...
Aram, or A ram is like one of the most direct violations of the rules

2) Compound words. Examples: Lordfear, Hawkfist, Rainman
Aram fits right in there under rule #2
nothing personal against the guy at all, i could see how he missed it, but i mean there are names that are on the borderline and there are nobrainers, this would be the latter.

Thanuk my friend,

Aram didn't break any rules until Dartan pointed it out. No one thought of using a SINGLE letter as something other than a letter (a word) in my former name. When Dartan pointed it out, then yes it did break the rules. Of course that is of my opinion. As stupid as i thought the excuse, I didn't make a huge stink because it was as you stated, it now broke the rules, and was obvious.

My point was it stunk, but i really didn't have sympathy because my name was "ratted" out when it didn't have to be. I never noticed it as a compound word until then. In fact, i was sort of suprised when it was made obvious to me that it was, that no one had noticed it long before level 41/42. Hats off to Dartan for being able to see things differently than everyone else. He saw (was able to think about) my name in a different way than everyone else in the mud. Thats admirable and i am guessing figuring out quests is not a problem with him (I wouldn't know, cause i am still pretty much a youngling, therefore do not "associate" with our l33t counterparts =P ).

Back to raburri, i can see it both ways, i did that search on google and found pages upon pages of raburri links. I am thinking it is much like the word "ain't" Many "English" professors don't recognize that as a word, yet, it is still used. Heck, look it up on dictionary.com and you see it's definition is only 2 lines, yet the rest of the freakin page is this long spiel about it's "controversy". So that makes this thread the Raburri definition page. One line of definition, pages upon pages of controversy. Image

------------------
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.
Sadric
Sojourner

Postby Sadric » Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:36 am

okay, so, I looked up "raburi" and "raburri" on dictionary.com and found nothing even close to that word?

again, I think people are missing the whole point of what the word was. "ain't" is an english word, spoken by people who use the english language, even if it is considered improper and slang - "raburi" is a japanese speaker's phonetization (because of accent and differing "letters" in the language) of the english word "lovely". just like "paradaisu" is the way they would say "paradise" if they were attempting to speak the english word, just as "tabako" would be how they say "tobacco". however, in all likelihood, the japanese have actual JAPANESE words for each of these english terms - raburi/paradaisu would simply be a case of them trying to speak it in english.

banning that name is like banning "madda" because it's "a close approximation of the way an infant would say mother.. or mazda..". that's the jist of it. the name was not banned because it might be "inappropriately un-fantasy like", but because someone mistook it for a word that doesn't actually exist, at least not in the language that was given.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:31 am

I more closely associate Raburi to "robbery" than "lovely" for what it's worth.

------------------
- Ragorn
You group-say 'What's up, bro?'
Touk group-says 'Accounting homework and skill practice.'
You group-say 'Ewww... which is worse?'
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:01 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sadric:
<B>okay, so, I looked up "raburi" and "raburri" on dictionary.com and found nothing even close to that word?

again, I think people are missing the whole point of what the word was. "ain't" is an english word, spoken by people who use the english language, even if it is considered improper and slang - "raburi" is a japanese speaker's phonetization (because of accent and differing "letters" in the language) of the english word "lovely". just like "paradaisu" is the way they would say "paradise" if they were attempting to speak the english word, just as "tabako" would be how they say "tobacco". however, in all likelihood, the japanese have actual JAPANESE words for each of these english terms - raburi/paradaisu would simply be a case of them trying to speak it in english.

banning that name is like banning "madda" because it's "a close approximation of the way an infant would say mother.. or mazda..". that's the jist of it. the name was not banned because it might be "inappropriately un-fantasy like", but because someone mistook it for a word that doesn't actually exist, at least not in the language that was given.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. I meant to look up ain't in the dictionary.

2. My point is that many people do not recognize "ain't" as a real word, just sort of a slang. Hence the reference to looking it up in the dictionary (in dictionary.com, it has a definition, but also has this huge paragraph talking about the controversy of it)

3. There are many links to raburi if you search in google. Yes it is the phonetic pronounciation of the word and not an actual word, we all know that. But people are still writing it out as a regular word (yes i know they are lazy and don't want to write the real word) Therefore, i was stating a possible comparison in that both raburi and "ain't" may not/isn't be a real word, but can be/is used as such. I hope i was a little bit clearer this time. Image

------------------
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:47 am

I believe that 'aint' was actually adopted as a word in some dictionaries. As for the web search on Raburi, see my previous post in the other thread. I searched various japanese adjectives and came up with 1000's of hits, whereas the same google search on raburi yielded about 140. "Corth", on the other hand, yielded more than 1500 hits.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Sadric
Sojourner

Postby Sadric » Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:43 pm

heh yeah ragorn, I thought the same thing - I figured the name would have been banned as a take on robbery, not some obscure japanese reference :P

[This message has been edited by Sadric (edited 10-17-2002).]
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:18 pm

OOOOOOOH!!!!!

Score one for Sadric!

Touche!

------------------
The wardens of the cage disallow all commands except say, petition, project and help
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:36 pm

my first char here i played was forced to change his because it was the name of some patch of some game i had never even heard of

rub-ur-eye

------------------
MoM-D
Sadric
Sojourner

Postby Sadric » Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:46 am

haha oops! I typed out aragorn just on instinct, I didn't actually notice that until I saw daz's reply just now..

heh sorry about that ragorn Image
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:30 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>I believe that 'aint' was actually adopted as a word in some dictionaries. As for the web search on Raburi, see my previous post in the other thread. I searched various japanese adjectives and came up with 1000's of hits, whereas the same google search on raburi yielded about 140. "Corth", on the other hand, yielded more than 1500 hits.

Corth

Change Corth's name @once! Image

This is silly. Why even bother bitching about it? There is a 0% chance that a god will admit they fucked up and undo their mistake. They haven't even bothered to respond to the 200 and some posts about Raburi. I guess we all just hope that they don't keep looking for ways to rile up the pbase.
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:30 am

It some player came up to me and said "Hey it's Dartan" like it was supposed to mean something i would probably reply...

"Great! now fuck off and tell someone that cares..."

------------------
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Protector of Clan Prowlingwolf
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:38 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jasix Prowlingwolf:
<B>It some player came up to me and said "Hey it's Dartan" like it was supposed to mean something i would probably reply...

"Great! now fuck off and tell someone that cares..."

This was constructive, no realy, but did it have a point?

------------------
MoM-D

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”