Could it be could it be a Sojourn info site?!?!

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Ruggak
Sojourner

Could it be could it be a Sojourn info site?!?!

Postby Ruggak » Fri Mar 16, 2001 11:54 am

Yes Yes Yes. I am currently working on a Sojourn player info site which will be complete with maps, Item lists, Quests, Guild forum and of course a message board. Please feel free to email me with any information or if you are interested in helping with the site. It will be up some time within the next couple of months after the wonderful game we call sojourn comes back up ) Hope to see you there.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Fri Mar 16, 2001 12:09 pm

Posting item stats and quest information would destroy the playing experience for most of us.

I personally even dislike map sites.

/Jegzed
Galzar
Sojourner

Postby Galzar » Fri Mar 16, 2001 12:39 pm

please dont post a site with the answers to quests, stats on eq and stuff like that Image

Thank You
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Fri Mar 16, 2001 1:13 pm

what was that site for toril player pics?

i think you peeps should put some new pics up..I know I'm gonna I've dropped 20 lbs since I stopped mudding!

hahah!
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Mar 16, 2001 1:14 pm

dix.dubna.ru

Fun to see all those people in RL, even if those pics are 4 odd years old!
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Fri Mar 16, 2001 1:15 pm

OH nm! I found it!

Toril player pics: post your own pic at:

http://www.dix.dubna.ru/clarzek/

hehe
Wobb

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 16, 2001 1:31 pm

While I certanly understand and expect people will put up such sites, please do not advertise them on the Sojourn 3 boards/BBS. I cant stop anyone from doing it, will never retaliate against anyone for doing it, but I dont have to like it. It does indeed ruin the game, the whole point is to explore and solve the quests. By posting it you are in effect ruining hundreds of hours of work on the part of the area makers who have to think up, design, build, and test the quests. Who would you be helping by doing this? And what is the cost to the game? Remember this is free and you guys have a direct impact on the game and world. The more you guys protect it, the better it will be.

If you left the quest shit off, then it could be a great resource for players! Image Heck we might even endorse it.

Just IMHO

Kris
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Fri Mar 16, 2001 1:55 pm

I agree with Miax about the quest stuff. I do remember liking "Mintur's Maps" (sp?) back when it was sanctioned on the toril web page. I never actually used the maps, but I did kind of like looking at them and going "wow, look how big that is" etc. Maybe just a page with eq stats and a few basic outdoors/town maps. Maybe you (Miax) could co-opt Ruggak's idea and have a part of your site devoted to such things, pending some kind of approval by your staff?

santego/mezheru
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Fri Mar 16, 2001 1:59 pm

This would sure save on ID scrolls and casting identify. Oh wait this doesn't sound good! I'd rather stats wasn't posted, but like Miax said it's your site.

Just an opinion.
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Fri Mar 16, 2001 2:17 pm

I'm trying to get in touch with Minthur now...

Maps I don't mind, particularly for zones with "Death Traps" like our friend the Displacer Beast. Item information can be okay (I wouldn't use it, but its your site), but Quest information is a bit excessive.

Just my 2 cents.

------------------

Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Mar 16, 2001 3:20 pm

Agree. Don't post quest stuff, and if it were my site, I wouldn't even post item stats. It's really not that challenging to ask around for item stats, and identify scrolls aren't too expensive once you pass level 25 or 30. And until level 25 or so, the stats on your items aren't really even that important because you're still trying to fill all your slots with something that isn't leather Image

I say leave it alone. One vote.

- Ragorn
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Fri Mar 16, 2001 3:42 pm

Ah, I always loved Minthurs site back when I was a newbie. After I got horrribly lost I would switch to a browser and try to find out where the heck I was! If you have a map site good for you but you will upset a lot of people by posting quest solutions and Item stats. Item lists I have no problem with (Its just like looking at Waelos =P)
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Fri Mar 16, 2001 5:27 pm

heh I happen to have downloaded Minthuar's entire site to my HD so I could look at it without waiting for the pics to load up and off line.
I also wrote my own database program that lets you insert items and their stats and then you could look up an item by slot/stat/name etc...
Luckly i can remember all the information on the single quest that I know.

Rausrh get bored when the mud goes down sometime...
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Fri Mar 16, 2001 5:29 pm

Ahh, I guess I'm just going to agree with everyone else here, so I'm not going to rehash it all.

But one Idea that I do have is maybe making a list of what eq comes from what zone? I'm not sure how people would feel about that, but I know that when I look at the power mudders and all their spanky gear I just want to spam them with tells asking them where they got that stuff =).
Thalor
Sojourner

Postby Thalor » Fri Mar 16, 2001 7:37 pm

The fun of the game is figuring out quests and finding items hidden away in zones =P Tell people how to do them and it ruins the experience. Maps I can see simply because they can be a great help to newbies, although I'm still not exactly fond of them. Another Sojourn site would be cool though, just not with evil things like quest and eq info.

-Thalor Duskriver, whose alpha-testing application must've gotten lost in the mail *nod self*
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Mar 16, 2001 7:41 pm

Usually if you see a decked lvl 50 player sitting 3w or at the fountain/inn/whatever and ask him nicely what item X is, he'll be glad to tell you. I am anyway, heck it's flattering when ppl look at you and go "wow! can I please ask you what's that sword?". I'll tell you everything except stats on rareload/ quest items =)

Cherzra
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Fri Mar 16, 2001 8:13 pm

Minthur's back, and he's been posting on some of these threads and I believe his site is back up. I can't find it right now, but I know that he posted his URL as well, so go hunting in some of the earlier posts, especially back on the SOS2 site.

R
Zuurn Shatter Skull
Sojourner

Postby Zuurn Shatter Skull » Fri Mar 16, 2001 8:31 pm

Minthur's

http://www2.ivnet.com/~craigb/minthur/index.html

------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Zuurn Shatter Skull(RP) stands here.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Gromsharulaz
Sojourner

Postby Gromsharulaz » Fri Mar 16, 2001 9:54 pm

*chuckle* I'm glad I'm not the only one who never really liked those maps. The fact that they were direct shots of the Zmud mapper complete with squares and lines always bothered me.

It just never really seemed to fit into the RP flavour of the old website. That and being the explorer I am - I have the silly notion that you should get out there and find the rooms for yourself instead of knowing everything.

Now if they were drawn with a more RP flavour then I think I'd have less aversion to them. I'm sure most newbies could get by with a dashed line leading from WD through a forest area, to a plains area, to a big mountain with a cave at the top with a note tacked to it saying do not enter, and continuing across a lake, etc. and still find their way to BS while avoiding the DB. As opposed to looking at a map, counting squares and typing 3e9n7e....

But I do have to give him some major credit for taking the time to do that - especially knowing how long it takes to accurately map a zone out. Heh it was also a nice resource to point newbies to when they were pestering me for directions and I didn't have to the time to walk them through their trek over tells. ;)

Gromsharulaz Darkmace, Picky Exploring Derro of the Underdark
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sat Mar 17, 2001 12:50 am

Posting item stats of any sort or quest info are BAD. Maps are ok for newbies, minthur maps of which I have copies of all the originals are mostly just of non-ZONE areas. They don't really give away anything to the newbie. One map I have seen that I REALLY liked was one of Hyssk that someone drew. It didn't give away exact dirs just a general guidline. I would be happy to draw a few of these up if anyone want help with a newbie how not to get lost site....hmmm perhaps Ill chat to Minthur and see what he doing. Maps that show the general lay of a town or direfction between a town are fine because they are something that a char vcould pick up easily in the game. The ansi ones that you oculd get at some shops I thought were even pretty cool. Eg, could have one of WD that shows where some food and good taverns are, a couple of guilds, the docks, not the underground sewers, the surrounding area ponting out that a monster of some sort live in the DB cave, and perhaps watch out for trolls sign on the coast road. The signs in the game and reading the room descriptions I believe generally gave you a pretty good idea that you were going to meet up with trouble if you continued on your way.
Again general guidline maps I think are cool, just not ones that give out dirs to get everywhere.....yer...what grommy said
anyhow care to post that map of Hyssk for an example of what I mean Cyric?

Lots of Love
Sarell/Ladak/etc ...aka Patrick
Ionari
Sojourner

Postby Ionari » Sun Mar 18, 2001 4:14 am

Instead of bashing the poor soul for making a website, let him. It is their choice to make it. You can't stop him. You don't have to go there either.

Cheers...

[This message has been edited by Ionari (edited 03-17-2001).]

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”