Civilization 3: Play the World

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
thruar
Sojourner

Civilization 3: Play the World

Postby thruar » Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:54 pm

The game should be arriving to stores tomorrow the 30th east coast. Is anyone getting it?

Maybe if there is enough people who has it we can have a multiplayer game. I for one a big fan of the genre so I can't wait! Going to be at my former job at gamestop 10:30am waiting for the shipment!
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:26 am

I'll play you, mike, when I can get ahold of a copy... I'm a big fan of the civ series also.. though I think I like Civ 2 more than 3 like someone else mentioned recently on the bbs...

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:41 pm

Only question I have is can my stealth bombers bomb anything to death? or just to hurt?

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
thruar
Sojourner

Postby thruar » Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:57 pm

Hey Gene: I played civ2:multiplayer gold to death, The game is a tad unbalanced in terms of pvp, where diplomats and key wonder of the worlds decides the game, well that and your starting surrounding lands. I also played civ3 quite a bit and felt that they added in a lot of features for a balanced play so no one wonders of the world or any unit would totally throw off the game. With the new multiplayer features that are designed for all multiplayer experiences games can be played turnless mode so we don't need to sit there for 3-6 days playing turn based and can eventually finish the game in as little as 2-4 hrs, but still can set it normally to play those week long games. Unfortunately civ3:PTW is an expansion so you need to full civ3 game as well. I think civ3 goes for about 44.99 and expansion is 29.99, going to pick it up soon as I get off work!

Rausrh: Hmm I think stealth bombers don't bomb anything to death.. but they mentioned they did improve a lot of the game features. Can check out here http://www.civ3.com/ptwexpansion.cfm & http://www.civ3.com/devupdate.cfm their official site.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:23 pm

Have I ever mentioned how insulting I think it is to players to sell features like "MP" as an addon, when they've had MP code since Civnet in 1995.

Especially when they promised to have it in the original release.

Will I buy the MP patch? not-bloody-likely.. I've bought my last Sid Meier game.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:32 pm

i wanna play

------------------
Her Royal Bitchness Eye Aeturnum
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:33 pm

I agree with Jegzed, I was thoroughly insulted when yet another civ game was released without multiplayer. Then they ask us to shell out more bucks for the priveledge of multiplayer action, and to make it not so blatant, they throw in a few new civilizations....OOOOOOOOOH!!!

*blush*

I am still probably gonna buy it though asI have been itching to take on my roomie in a game of multiplayer civ 3 for awhile, he owns me in every other multiplayer, so I am prepared once again to be humbled.

------------------
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
thruar
Sojourner

Postby thruar » Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:48 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jegzed:
<B>Have I ever mentioned how insulting I think it is to players to sell features like "MP" as an addon, when they've had MP code since Civnet in 1995.

Especially when they promised to have it in the original release.

Will I buy the MP patch? not-bloody-likely.. I've bought my last Sid Meier game.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah bleh I was rather upset about the whole deal as well being into their games since civ1. They could have included it as a patch and work on something else. oh well! maybe the developers have something else in mind, always the money thing.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:32 am

ya i was pissed when i bought civ2 then mp came out after i had heard it was already mp Image

------------------
MoM-D
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:37 am

I thought Sid M. sold the game a while back to some big game Co. Is he still coding on it or what?

------------------
Gindipple (Gnome) stands here.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:33 am

I think Sid Meier left Microprose and took civ along with him to a new company he started...

Btw, I plan to quit smoking on sunday.. and since I'm unemployed and need something to keep me occupied while i go through withdrawal, I'm going to play civ for a few days straight. I wonder if anyone has ever tried this method of quitting before. Image

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:51 am

You mean the run out of money and be forced to quit method? I'm about to try that method shortly, luck to ya

------------------
Gindipple (Gnome) stands here.
thruar
Sojourner

Postby thruar » Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:20 am

Got the game now, will install it tomorrow tho! so lemme know if you got it too and wanna play me!
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:26 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gindipple:
<B>I thought Sid M. sold the game a while back to some big game Co. Is he still coding on it or what?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:38 am

I believe both Firaxis (Sid's company) and Activision (bought by MP?) both have rights to the Civ license.

In any case, I am with Jegzed, though not because of the Multiplayer fiasco but due to the fact that I hated Civ3. Maybe it's my fault for trying to play it like a wargamer. But it comes down to the fact that it no longer lets me play the way I enjoyed playing, so.. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:15 am

Incidentally, it's not really Sid Meier coding most of this, it's a guy named Brian Reynolds. Check the credits. If I remember right Reynolds did Civ2 and Alpha Centauri.
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:23 am

Alpha Centauri >>>>> Civ3

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:30 am

He didn't code much of Civ3, just helped design it from what I gathered.

In any case, as long as it says "Sid Meier's" in front of the title, I hold him responsible. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:48 am

I stopped playing the Civ series long ago. Call to Power was the last Civ-series game I played, and god damn was that a poop chute.

Emily still plays it though, and here is how her games generally go on Easy setting:

- Start off, conquer one civilization right away.
- Build a few cities while comps pound on each other.
- Attack a major city, lose 12 musketeers and cannons to 3 fortified samurai.
- Tech tech tech. It's obvious she's the dominant civilization on the map, but because of the ridiculous fortification bonus you get in this game, no amount of troops can take over a major city.
- Build cities up to 50+ population each, start aiming for alternate victory.
- 40% of her cities revolt in the same turn, with no warning, all at once. Plenty of food, lots of entertainers, happiness over 80%, they just revolt for no forseeable reason.
- Next turn, all of her remaining cities revolt because her happiness wonders are gone. Graph at end of the game shows her orders of magnatude higher than any other player, but still dead.
- Crying ensues.

I enjoyed Civ for a while, but playing on any map size larger than Tiny boils your turns down to micromanaging city construction in your 38 cities. We ended up spending 10 minutes a turn instructing new cities to build Granaries, and I decided that was the last I'd play of the Civ series Image

Give me Heroes of Might and Magic for my turn-based strategy needs.

------------------
- Ragorn
Rondandal tells you 'I take it your goal is to clash?'
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:46 am

Heroes of Might and Magic III multiplay rules!

Necropolis owns you!
thruar
Sojourner

Postby thruar » Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:28 pm

Yeah I really liked heroes of might and magic 3. It's the best turn based game I ever played. Even though it is an old game maybe you all wanna play a game? It might take a few sessions to complete but if there are enough interests we'll get one going Image
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:31 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gromikazer:
Alpha Centauri >>>>> Civ3</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alpha Centauri has such cool quotes. I like building lots and lots of planet busters (usually my games are over before then, but I keep playing) and do my own brand of terraforming. Those formers are too damn slow.

- Grungar "Someone, quick! Kill the treehuggers!" Forgefire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Oct 31, 2002 6:12 pm

Yeah I'll play some HOMM3. I love that game Image It really does take all day to play a game though Image

------------------
- Ragorn
Rondandal tells you 'I take it your goal is to clash?'
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Oct 31, 2002 6:51 pm

Heck yeah I'll play a game Image It's been 6 months since I replayed the whole thing, and it was always hard to find online opponents who wouldn't quit after 10 rounds. Might be hard to find a time though since I'm in Europe and all that.

I use version 1.4 I think (can't remember where to find it), and use MSN game zone. ICQ is 50676461, or find me on the mud...
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:40 pm

Here's how my Civ2 games usually go, and it doesnt really get old:
- Deity level, 7 Civilizations, Standard rules, Any size world, Random Barbarian levels
- Expand, expand, expand. Mark as much territory in all directions as yours as you can before your opponents do. Make peace with everyone you meet - pay them off if you have to.
- Become a Republic and then Democracy as soon as you can.
- Next, get Monotheism and build Michaelangelo's.
- Now grow your cities as fast as they can. Meanwhile, make sure you get Leonardo's Workshop and Adam Smith's economics thing.
- Hunker down and win the knowledge race, which you will because you are a Republic/Democracy and have a ton of cities, and low overhead thanks to Adam Smith.
- Build the United Nations and make sure you are at peace with every civ. Meanwhile, build your war machine.
- When you develop the Howitzer, send an emissary to a vulnerable neighbor and demand that they remove their units from your territory. Any self-respecting civ will get pissed off and declare war on you.
- Invade. Conquer. Repeat, until only one enemy city remains alive on the face of the planet (preferably one with no wonders in it), and then make peace with that civ early enough in the game so you get the full peace bonus.
- Build your spaceship and launch it 11 years prior to your announced retirement. Meanwhile, expand, expand, expand - farmland is a great way to jack up your population score.
- Win.

Of course on deity, you can't always pull it off, but when you can it's a beautiful thing. My current high score on deity is approximately 750% on a medium size world. It could go higher if I had the patience to do this on a large world.

Civ2 > Civ3

Mp

------------------

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”