Programming?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Daz
Sojourner

Programming?

Postby Daz » Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:47 pm

Hey guys, got a question for some of you people here who know more than me. Myself and about 6 friends have started working on making video game type stuff. We love doing it, and we wanna see where we can teach ourselves.

Right now, we are starting with making a basic, 8/16bit style game, and the only thing we can't figure out - is what we need to do (using c/c++) to use keyboard/controlls for input. We pretty much have the rest figured out, and once we get a full 8/16bit game working, we gonna test it, then move on and go full fledged with a full, modern style game.

Since we are new at this, any beginning points or tips is helpful. We have 2 graphic artists, 3 programmers, and 1 networking geek here so far - with various xtrades between us. We have purchased scores of books, but none of them have really done much for us, and short of going to school for it, I was thinking some of the people here who may have real-world experience could point me somewhere.

Thanks for any help, appreciate it Image
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:25 pm

You have 3 programmers and not one of them mentioned DirectInput?

------------------
Gindipple (Gnome) stands here.
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:10 pm

Linux, Macintosh, or Windows?

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:12 am

If you're going for programming on Windows, take a look at the DirectX SDK at microsoft.com. It's a framework for making games by abstracting the hardware, and this includes stuff such as graphics rendering, control input, networking and sound.

It's pretty robust and I've had fun fooling around with it back in the heydays of DirectX 3.0.

Check it out: <A HREF="http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/Default.asp?contentid=28000410" TARGET=_blank>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/Default.asp?contentid=28000410</a></A>

------------------
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil - Orbdrin D'Oloth
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:03 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gindipple:
<B>You have 3 programmers and not one of them mentioned DirectInput?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i believe i mentioned how most of us have been 'out of the loop' by real life distractions the last couple of years, and its only been the last couple of years that we were able to afford video powerhouse machines. we all use PC's, its not worth going mac for us just for this.

we have spent the last couple of years playing with the fact that we are now able to make 3-d images on our own, its still pretty amazing if you look back at what we had in the 90's
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:52 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
we have spent the last couple of years playing with the fact that we are now able to make 3-d images on our own, its still pretty amazing if you look back at what we had in the 90's</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

90's? I think you meant the 80's, but even then 3-d images was common in games.

IIRC, I wrote a fun doom program on the Amiga in 1993, with texture-mapped houses in a town to move through. Damn, where have all the time gone..

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:39 am

Hey daz, take a look at http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/

I know its .Net and all, but if you choose this path..take peek here. Lots of help for you there.

Suggestion:
http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/References/System.Diagnostic.Process.asp

User level:Beginner (to start with)
Download code:http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/References/System.Diagnostic.ProcessCode.zip

/Colje

[This message has been edited by Colje (edited 11-05-2002).]
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:48 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jegzed:
<B> 90's? I think you meant the 80's, but even then 3-d images was common in games.

IIRC, I wrote a fun doom program on the Amiga in 1993, with texture-mapped houses in a town to move through. Damn, where have all the time gone..

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i misspoke myself

i don't mean crappy games with 3 dimensional objects. woop da doo.

i was thinking along the lines of the levels of realism that we have achieved with digital cinematography. realism.

not pixelated squares.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>
i misspoke myself

i don't mean crappy games with 3 dimensional objects. woop da doo.

i was thinking along the lines of the levels of realism that we have achieved with digital cinematography. realism.

not pixelated squares.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the difference is what? Its still 3-dimensional objects with pixels.

Quality have just gone up.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”