Happy Thanksgiving!

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Zetey
Sojourner

Happy Thanksgiving!

Postby Zetey » Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:20 am

Everyone,

Happy Thanksgiving!

Zet
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Nov 29, 2002 7:31 am

I'll second that motion.

*Burp*

Scuse me....

Toplack

------------------
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Fri Nov 29, 2002 3:06 pm

Yes, happy thanksgiving to all those silly Americans celebrating their thanksgiving WAAAAY too late....hehehe Image 3nj0y all the turkey and stuffage!

------------------
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Fri Nov 29, 2002 7:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zagaz:
<B>Yes, happy thanksgiving to all those silly Americans celebrating their thanksgiving WAAAAY too late....hehehe Image 3nj0y all the turkey and stuffage!

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHATEVer! YOu canadians have it WAY too early.!! plus we americans started this holiday right?!?1

------------------
Leah A. W.

-Golnol jumps into muma's arms and gives her a kiss on the cheek
-Yonkle OOC: 'Sometimes ooc sounds like Sleep Deprivation Anonymous.' <-- ROFL
-Ythera OOC: 'Her pink can fly forth and sting the neck of a cobra, causing it instant death before it can even realize what the blur of motion in the air in front of it is!'
-Kasula OOC: 'im kinda like a touch lamp... touch me in the right place and turn me on'
-Kossuth OOC: 'p. diddy picked a peck of pickled peppers?'
-Yarash group-says 'I was thinking we should be able to make goodberrie pies with a bunch of goodberries'
Yarash group-says 'Eating the pie would be like a cure serious/critic'
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:55 pm

Sorry, no

"The origins of Canadian Thanksgiving are more closely connected to the traditions of Europe than of the United States. Long before Europeans settled in North America, festivals of thanks and celebrations of harvest took place in Europe in the month of October. The very first Thanksgiving celebration in North America took place in Canada when Martin Frobisher, an explorer from England, arrived in what is now known as Newfoundland in 1578. He wanted to give thanks for his safe arrival to the New World. That means the first Thanksgiving in Canada was celebrated 43 years before the pilgrims landed in Plymouth, Massachusetts!"

Got that from some kids site at the top of a list in google using origins of canadian thanksgiving as search words.

:P

hehehe

------------------
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.

Whoooops! That will show me to trust a site for kids. Upon further research, I was proven wrong. You Americans were the first, that Frobisher thing is a Canadian myth.
This site < http://www.yorku.ca/ycom/release/archive/100599.htm > and this quote explains further

"A Wealth of Meanings: Thanksgiving in Ontario, 1859-1914, 23-year-old York University PhD History candidate Peter Stevens reveals that Ontario church leaders appropriated the American autumn holiday and transformed it into an instrument of Canadian nationalism. And in doing so, Stevens has laid bare numerous myths and mistaken notions about the origins of our Thanksgiving holiday, which was first celebrated in the United Provinces of Canada in 1859.

Contrary to recent claims by several Canadian periodicals, Canada's Thanksgiving Day did not originate with English explorer Martin Frobisher staging a ceremony of thanksgiving upon landing at Baffin Island in 1578. Stevens concludes that Canada does not have an historical equivalent to the American legend of the Puritans staging the first thanksgiving at Plymouth, Mass. in 1621."

[This message has been edited by Zagaz (edited 11-29-2002).]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zagaz:
<B>Sorry, no
Whoooops! That will show me to trust a site for kids. Upon further research, I was proven wrong.

3nj0ying!

------------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'look on the bright side, I just saved you some corpses. We all know you would have gotten spanked'
Zanvazez
Sojourner

Postby Zanvazez » Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:34 pm

our thanksgiving = american "president day" your thanksgiving = noting for us... we get shafted a vacation day!!!

------------------
Zanvazez Ark'Henneld
Qu'ellar Ark'Henneld Velg'larn
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zanvazez:
<B>our thanksgiving = american "president day" your thanksgiving = noting for us... we get shafted a vacation day!!!

All the more reason to have a prime minister day!!

------------------

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”