Move over cigarettes

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Sartorix
Sojourner

Move over cigarettes

Postby Sartorix » Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:59 pm

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:35 pm

The only cost or benefit that makes any difference at all to the politicians who will decide how, when, and where we can use cell phones, is how much revenue they can bring in from taxing and ticketing us for using them.

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Linelai
Sojourner

Postby Linelai » Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:42 pm

I heard that making/receiving phone calls in the car has caused more accidents than drunk driving.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:03 pm

Linelai,

there is some data in the article that pertain to that issue, but its not fully on point. According to the study, you have a much larger chance of being killed by a drunk driver than by someone driving while talking on a cell phone. The article does not say whether or not the study compared the chances of getting into a non-fatal accident.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
The Harvard study found that a cell phone user has about a 13 chances in 1 million of being killed in an accident while making a call; that compares with 49 in 1 million for someone driving without a seat belt.

Other drivers and pedestrians have about four chances in 1 million of dying in an accident caused by a cell phone user, according to the study. Their chance of being killed by a drunken driver is more than four times as high -- 18 in a million.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Corth

edit: added my interpretation of what the article says...
------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 12-02-2002).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:20 pm

Whats interesting to me about this article is that the study concludes that a ban on using cell phones while driving would cost more to society than it would save.

Is it moral to quantify the cost of human lives? It would make sense to me in general that its not only moral but necessary. For instance, we could say that automobiles should be banned in order to save lives. Automobiles are very dangerous machinery and many people die every year because of them. But that would be so costly to society that almost nobody would agree with such a measure. So in that sense, we have decided that the monetary gain to society of allowing automobiles outweighs the human cost occuring from accidents. Applying that methedology to cell phones, wouldn't it be counter-productive to ban them if we can show that it is too costly a way to save lives?

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:04 pm

Eating kills people; every year thousands worldwide die from food poisoning.

------------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'look on the bright side, I just saved you some corpses. We all know you would have gotten spanked'
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:05 am

Well, I live in ModernPoliceState $ingapore, where the use of mobile phones while driving has been banned for years now. As is the case with the ban on chewing gum, ban on satellite tv and mandated use of REAR seat belts in a car, a mobile phone/driving ban is unneccessary interference just because "authorities" feel like exercizing power.

(EDIT: Guess which word was misspelt the first time?)
------------------
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

[This message has been edited by Xisiqomelir (edited 12-02-2002).]
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:28 am

chewing gum??? I'd be SOOOOO HOsed!!!

by the way

i have MASTERED chewing gum witht he braces!!! (go me!!!) .. it was a HUGE priority!

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:20 am

I heard they're going to decriminalize chewing gum in singapore to help people quit smoking...

At least they have their priorities in order...

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:24 am

An election promise. I'm just waiting till I attain majority so I can forsake citizenship.

------------------
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"
Unag
Sojourner

Postby Unag » Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:13 am

You know what's really funny? Ever notice how people who are using a cellphone seem to talk way louder than they would with someone in a regular conversation?

Lately I've been forced to rely on public transit to get to school, and every single time inevitably someone receives a call on their cellphone. The odd thing is, there could be two people having a conversation beside me and I'll still hear the person talking on the cellphone down at the other end of the bus. My personal favorite are people who sit their and literally check their cellphone for calls every three minutes (I kid you not).

I dunno....maybe I just don't understand the appeal of them. Probably because I get pestered with alot of daily calls on a regular phone as it is.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:16 am

I hate the telephone.

- Grungar "Mr. Telephone meet Mr. Toilet" Forgefire
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:18 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
Eating kills people; every year thousands worldwide die from food poisoning.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many of them at my school. Hell, eating drywall is more nutritious and far safer than eating here.

- Grungar "MoriQuote! MoriQuote!" Forgefire
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:27 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xisiqomelir:
<B>An election promise. I'm just waiting till I attain majority so I can forsake citizenship.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

come to america, join us in our revolution on canada xisi!
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
come to america, join us in our revolution on canada xisi!</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Revolution on Canada? Oh no, crap! Get the acid spewing polar bears and penguins ready, arm our weapons!

You mean the chicken cannon?

YES!!!!!

ph34r the chicken cannon!

Oh and to keep this post semi on topic:

I believe it is a matter of courtesy to other drivers to pull off to the side of the road or to make tha call as short as possible while driving. Unless the driver is using a hands free device, but really, it can be distracting.

------------------
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:41 pm

Nobody seems to remember, that before they were cell phones, they were car phones designed specifically for that purpose.

Fools.

-Gerad

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:19 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zagaz:
<B> Revolution on Canada? Oh no, crap! Get the acid spewing polar bears and penguins ready, arm our weapons!

You mean the chicken cannon?

YES!!!!!

ph34r the chicken cannon!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Soooo... The Canadians have a mutant polar bear and penguin army of their own, eh? Back to the drawing board...

Chicken cannon... Thaw the chickens out first... Tee hee hee!

- Grungar "I melted a penny" Forgefire
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:18 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grungar:
<B> Chicken cannon... Thaw the chickens out first... Tee hee hee!

- Grungar "I melted a penny" Forgefire</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brrr.

------------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'look on the bright side, I just saved you some corpses. We all know you would have gotten spanked'
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:13 am

if people would just learn how to drive then it wouldnt be a problem..i can do 30million things while im driving without losing concentration or ever coming near an accident...go figure.

------------------
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:28 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grungar:
<B> Chicken cannon... Thaw the chickens out first... Tee hee hee!

- Grungar "I melted a penny" Forgefire</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh if you thaw them, they are flak rounds, if you keep them frozen, they are armor piercing! And the U.S. spends all this money on depeted uranium shells..when we had the answer all along!

*Aram whips out his frozen chicken tipped, Anti Tank-4 bazooka*

------------------
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”