What is worse for women's movement, The Bachelor or The Vict

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Kasula
Sojourner

What is worse for women\'s movement, The Bachelor or The Vic

Postby Kasula » Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:30 am

I have been thinking... since the fashion and the finale of the Bachelor was at the same time, What is worse? There was alot of scandal behind the showing of the VS show while the Bachelor went through a whole season with none. More people watched the Bachelor than the VS show... about 20 million to 10 million.

My personal feelings...
I think the Bachelor teaches worse things than the VS show. VS may objectify women but on the flip it creates a healthy physical image of a women. The Bachelor has no redeeming quality... its a modern day Harem. It tells women you are nothing til your are married and have children. Have we not come further than that? I think women should empower themselves... Being a model is at least empowering for the girl, gives them a chance to make something with their lives. What is being bunched up with 30 other girls fighting over one man? Hrmmm less than empowering. The Bachelor puts women in a subservient role once again. What does this teach little girls? VS show teaches girls to be beauty and sexuality... not all bad. As males have sports, which teaches them strength and competition. The Bachelor teaches little girls that your selfworth is imposed by the man your with. But i digress...

[This message has been edited by Kasula (edited 11-22-2002).]
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:26 am

I think we should stop believing television exists to enforce moral values.

The Bachelor is entertainment, and successful entertainment at that. The show appeals to men on a very basic level, the concept of being desired by scores of beautiful women. The show appeals to women on an equally fundamental level, the attraction to a handsome, romantic man who is capable of providing support. The women on this show aren't treated like objects. He treats the women to a more traditional courtship than half the relationships that exist in real life. He doesn't fuck them all and decide who to marry by who's the greatest lay. There is no episode where the bachelor gets drunk at a party and knocks up one of the ladies. Do I think that marriage should be determined by what amounts to a game show? No, but as the first bachelor proved, that's not what the show is about. For those who didn't watch, he proposed to the winner but they agreed not to get married until they had an actual relationship. All of the girls on this show go in with the knowledge of what it's about, and there are very few suprises.. not like that trashy Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire shit.. now that WAS objectification.

The VS show I know little about. Are we getting uppity over women displaying their undergarments? I thought that sentiment went out in the 70s. Is it objectification of women? As long as men are physiologically aroused by the sight of a woman's body, there will be women who are willing to display their bodies. That's life, and no amount of feminism or sensitivity training will change it. Is it gender equality? I'm sorry, but no such thing exists in this world, and it probably never will. Men and women cannot ever be equal because they are NOT equal... men and women are driven by different motivations, different goals, and different instinctual urges and behaviors.

Instead of fighting a war to even the playing field, it would be more beneficial to both genders if everyone would learn to simply appreciate the differences and understand them. Men will always chase beautiful women, let's not pretend the desire for a woman to be attractive is a symbol of her subserviance to a patriarchial society. All humans are genetically programmed to desire to be attractive to the opposite sex. It just so happens that men are aroused more visually than women, and women are attracted more to mates who can provide stability and support for their families. Nobody ever cried for Anna Nicole Smith's 90 year old husband, even though everyone knew she married him to get rich. Let's not cry for Tyra Banks flaunting her underwear.

------------------
- Ragorn
Rondandal tells you 'I take it your goal is to clash?'
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:44 pm

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH!!!!
PULL THE POST TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!
EXIT THE POST AND DROP YOUR WEAPONS!!!
The post-driver says 'oh *hit, we're being hijacked!"

VENT WARNING

This dating/marriage show CRAP needs to end. Its boring as shit and I frankly dont care what some guy ill never meet thinks about some hoe ill never know. Its all thats on late night TV anymore (hence I stopped watching it, suck me ABC) and Its not the least bit entertaining. Oh, let me broaden this a bit. Im talking about any kind of a popularity contest voting show.

When the hell did TV turn into a highschool filled with 25 year old immature brats cockfighting over a record deal.

Please, *ucking spare me the humilition. If I were the target audience for this crap, and for some of it I am, I would be (and am) utterly offended by this insult to my intelligence.

That goes for the weakest link, too. Somebody should kick that ladys ass.

And survivor. I hope they all *ucking die.

And that boot camp one. What crap.

Heres my theory.

The cable companys long ago purchased every non-cable station and PUT NOTHING BUT STUPID, CRAPPY PROGRAMMING ON THE AIR so that we'll all have to have cable in order to watch something decent.

*uck that. Boycott TV.

Gerad "Dont insult me any longer" Dreamingwolf

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'

[This message has been edited by Gerad (edited 11-22-2002).]
Silsaterur
Sojourner

Postby Silsaterur » Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:59 pm

Bullshit like "The bachelor" and "Who wants to marry a millionaire" are why I DO NOT watch tv with the exception of The Simpsons and BBC World News.

I somehow find it hard to beleive that these women would be so stupid as to think that ANY good could come of a network TV show.

Whatever,

Sometimes I just want to find a net exec and break some bones.
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:49 pm

TV sux nowadays. I only watch Days and Passions and the weather channel. At least, I know my soaps are lame and pre-written, just like the so called "reality shows". I tried watching a "reality show" and I only watched about 5 min of it. LAME!! Do I give a crap about people who
1) are out in the "wilderness" with their comfy hotel and catering standing by?
2) lead such a miserable life that they can't find their own mate?
3) think running around the world, doing stupid stuff for money is a good thing?

And as for Victoria's Secret...

I think the models are disgusting. They tell girls and women that being anorexic is ok. I know guys will always oogle them, but anyone that thinks they're what all women should look like should look at the inside. I'm no model, but seeing women that I could break in 1/2 makes me sick. I wonder how these women act in real life (there's more to life than the runway). I could go on and on, but I'm going to get something to eat now...you know...something models DON'T do Image

------------------
Musi "your happy little resser"
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:50 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">My personal feelings...
I think the Bachelor teaches worse things than the VS show. VS may objectify women but on the flip it creates a healthy physical image of a women.[/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kasula, man, I really didn't think you actually bought into the image you portrayed on the mud, but that statement just blew me out of the water. Models go to such lengths to keep those "healthy physical images" that too often they end up killing themselves in order to keep their weight down. They starve their bodies to look the way they do, and their health pays the price. Models have a HUGE amount of health problems as they age because of the extremes they must go to in order to maintain their gaunt figures. There is a small number of women who support the model's figure naturally through a freak of genetic coding, but hundreds of thousands of young girls look at these models and ask themselves what the hell is wrong with them, that their bodies don't seem to look like that, no matter how they diet, exercise, purge, starve, or use drugs like speed and laxatives to try to take the weight off.

I have no problems with women showing off their "undergarments." You know what? This is MY body to do with as I please, and I'm an adult woman capable of making my own choices. If I felt like stripping down to my skivvies, or even down to nothing, as long as it's done in an appropriate atmosphere, then nobody else needs to tell me that I don't know what's right for me, OR for women, as far as that goes, because I AM a woman and being happy enough with my body that I can display it isn't an unhealthy thing. What is unhealthy is allowing media to drive us to the point where we will make ourselves sick and attempt to twist our bodies out of their natural state in order to maintain the "look" society seems to deem that we must have.

As for "Bachelor"... More media drek. Any attempt to get the masses to buy into the commercial time. There's nothing wrong with dreaming that prince charming will show up and wisk you away. I just think it's too bad that we, as a people, seem to crave crap like that, and reward media by giving it our attention. I don't even watch TV anymore, half the time it just ticks me off, and the other half it leaves me amazed that the public is so incredibly gullible and insipid.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:02 pm

90% of the women in the victoria's secret show are not attractive. They look like 12 year old boys (settle down, Kasula). Attractive is Tyra Banks. You see those two things on her chest? They're called breasts. You see how she gets wider a little bit just below her belly button? Those are called hips. You see how 90% of the other models don't have those? Thats why you know Tyra Bank's name, and the rest of them are known as "that chick". Anorexia is not attractive...i know you have ribs, i dont need to see them. When women realize this and stop trying to look like sticks and try to look like healthy, attractive women, this problem will dissappear. But that wont happen for a long time, because fashion ownz j00. Btw, the reason women who look like 12 year old boys are considered attractive these days is because the heads of fashion, who decide what attractive is are, for the most part, homosexual. Think about that for a while...

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:09 pm

Thanuk you ARE my hero!!!

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:17 pm

Thanuk just grew an admiring fanbase. He makes a very good point, too... it takes a real man to want a real woman... what kind of man watches pre-pubescent boys strut on a runway dressed in diamond studded bras and stiletto heels?
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thanuk:
<B>90% of the women in the victoria's secret show are not attractive. They look like 12 year old boys (settle down, Kasula). Attractive is Tyra Banks. You see those two things on her chest? They're called breasts. You see how she gets wider a little bit just below her belly button? Those are called hips. You see how 90% of the other models don't have those? Thats why you know Tyra Bank's name, and the rest of them are known as "that chick". Anorexia is not attractive...i know you have ribs, i dont need to see them. When women realize this and stop trying to look like sticks and try to look like healthy, attractive women, this problem will dissappear. But that wont happen for a long time, because fashion ownz j00. Btw, the reason women who look like 12 year old boys are considered attractive these days is because the heads of fashion, who decide what attractive is are, for the most part, homosexual. Think about that for a while...

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen Brother!! WOOT! Oh, you forgot one other important part, that lovely round area at the back, the posterior. I actually watched parts of the show while playing sim city 3000, and alot of those models had no ass! But, having real breasts and hips usually means they will have a posterior as well. There is nothing wring with women who are skinny and healthy, just like there is nothing wrong with women who have extra meat on them either, they can be healthy as well.

Once again, preach on brother!

Hallelujah!!! Can I get a HELL YEAH?

------------------
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:05 pm

I agree, if they all looked as curvy as Tyra Banks, I wouldn't have changed the channel. Image Sticks are SO ugly.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:28 pm

Kill your television.

------------------
Nekler group-says 'do NOT rescue mori. he is to die this trip :P'
Nunaethil tells you 'You'll be missing out! So far we have the WD fountain totally under control.'
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B>Kill your television.

Your television is now a member of Moritheil and Company.
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:03 pm

I quit watching television the day I rolled up a character here.

Wobb

------------------
Wobb
"If you ever need a quick pick-me-up, just stick my balls in your mouth." --Chef, South Park
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
what kind of man watches pre-pubescent boys strut on a runway dressed in diamond studded bras and stiletto heels?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rylan?

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Dartan tells you 'i own so hard sometimes it makes me want to cry'

Nitupopple group-says 'esrel get glorishan off'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:38 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
Thanuk just grew an admiring fanbase. He makes a very good point, too... it takes a real man to want a real woman... what kind of man watches pre-pubescent boys strut on a runway dressed in diamond studded bras and stiletto heels?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

pedophiles

------------------
[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Kiaransalee OOC: 'rangers suck'
Iyachtu OOC: 'and a lovely nite it is :)'
Cifle tells you 'i am gonna take a wild guess, but is your evil alt dartana?'
You tell Cifle '*golf clap*'
Cifle tells you 'Call me Sherlok'
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sylvos:
<B> Your television is now a member of Moritheil and Company.

ROFLMAO!!

It's so nice to be ignored in my posts Image

------------------
Musi "your happy little resser"

[This message has been edited by Musi (edited 11-22-2002).]
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:49 pm

i hate runway models.

thanuk is right, Tyra Banks is the hottest of all models.

halle berry is hotter. drool.

it has been a long time since i stopped watching television. it is all crap. the sitcoms, the syndicated programming, garbage.

television is for 2 things.

1 - dvd's
2 2- NFL
Drakkoth
Sojourner

Postby Drakkoth » Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:21 pm

Uh, did I miss something? Saying Tyra Banks is hot, and having a few curves is better than being Kate Moss, is not striking a smashing blow for womankind. What are all you fatties doing the seal clap for??

I don't think it's that easy to look like her. You still have a lot of your fellow women starving themselves trying to pull that off.

I do agree that the insane stick figure girls are not attractive, but I am pretty sure most guys would rather be with one of them than an obese woman.

But let's forget the extremes. Most guys will also take a slim girl (and when I say slim, I mean something just in the light end, (say 5'6", 125 lbs, with a few curves) over a slightly overweight one. Honestly, can you guys here tell me you think someone with a nice, tight, slim body, with tits and ass that look just a little too big for that frame, isn't hotter than a woman who is just a little bulky all around? Come on.

We haven't come anywhere and anybody who says otherwise is full of horseshit.

The day when the majority of guys can honestly say that 50-100 pounds either way makes no difference to them, then you can all do a flabby raise-the-roof.

I wonder though, if that happens, if women will stop being attracted to money and power...

Not in our lifetime, true believers.
Kasula
Sojourner

Postby Kasula » Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:25 pm

Thanuk,
Because your not comfortable with homosexuality and your sexuality, it doesnt mean that people who like different female forms are homosexual. If I like skinny, tall, and beautiful women, Im not trying to live some underlining homosexual fanstasy. We have many ways to feel better about ourselves, and one of them is to slander the others opinion.

Ashiwi, I do believe models have a healthy physical self-image in comparasion with extremely fat America population. They said 70 percent of america are over weight.

As for the women, dont be a hater... Just because you want to look like these model but you cant.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sylvos:
<B> Your television is now a member of Moritheil and Company.

dude... I'm amazed.

------------------
Nunaethil tells you 'You'll be missing out! So far we have the WD fountain totally under control.'
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:57 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kasula:
<B>Thanuk,
Because your not comfortable with homosexuality and your sexuality, it doesnt mean that people who like different female forms are homosexual. If I like skinny, tall, and beautiful women, Im not trying to live some underlining homosexual fanstasy. We have many ways to feel better about ourselves, and one of them is to slander the others opinion.

Ashiwi, I do believe models have a healthy physical self-image in comparasion with extremely fat America population. They said 70 percent of america are over weight.

As for the women, dont be a hater... Just because you want to look like these model but you cant.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all, calm yourself. I dont need psychoanalysis from some crackhead hippie in southern california. Secondly, i did not say anyone who liked a different female form was a homosexual, i said the people who selected the models for the victorias secret show were homosexual. If you watched the show you would know that they were. Thirdly, you proved your own point. Your trying to make yourself feel better about you by questioning my sexuality. Go ahead and question it, i have a girlfriend, who is slim, with curves, and does not look like a pre-peubescent boy. If you want your girlfriend to look like a boyfriend, thats your decision, but it would explain a great number of your personality traits, like your fear of violence and constant droning about tolerance...i dont have to say anything, it speaks for itself.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Kasula
Sojourner

Postby Kasula » Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:13 pm

Thanuk,
I dont wanna turn this into who penis is larger contest. But im happy you have a beautiful baby as a girlfriend... woo hoo. Your attempts again to label me as less than a real men, falls short. What is a real man in your views? You live with these myopic boundaries and standards. Sorry i dont live up to your view as a man, but for me i dont go around thinking im more manly than this guy or that guy. Thanuk, it seems like you do... you are pre-occupied with men and how manly you are... Hrmmm...
Kasula
Sojourner

Postby Kasula » Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:37 pm

P.S.
My fear of violence and droning for tolerance... when did this become a bad thing?! (Warning: Sarcasm Alert) Ok, lets be more violent and less tolerant. While we are at it, we should be racist and start a religious war. Lets not stop there, nobody really likes New Jersey, lets nuke it. While we are nuking New Jersey, lets instate a government where only white, blonde hair blue eyes people rule. We cant just stop there, lets bomb and nuke and invade any other country that dont agree with us. Lets put women back into their roles of the past, as sex objects, home makers, and child factories. Wait! Its not over! Lets inslave a whole race of people... Hey! How about a Holocaust?! that sounds like fun! Wow! the world is such a better place now! You were right Thanuk... What was i thinking?!
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:38 pm

Lets review, shall we?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kasula:
<B>Thanuk,
I dont wanna turn this into who penis is larger contest.
</B>
Then why did you question my sexuality in the first line of your previous post? A personal flame to open your opinion is doing exactly that.
<B>
But im happy you have a beautiful baby as a girlfriend... woo hoo. </B>

im happy too. hi5 self.
<B>
Your attempts again to label me as less than a real men, falls short. What is a real man in your views? You live with these myopic boundaries and standards. Sorry i dont live up to your view as a man, but for me i dont go around thinking im more manly than this guy or that guy.
</B>
When have i even used the words "real man" or "manly"? They only seem to be coming from you...
<B>
Thanuk, it seems like you do... you are pre-occupied with men and how manly you are... Hrmmm...
I have yet to say anything about men, aside from the sexual preference of the judges who select the models of the victoria's secret fashion show. But that is fact, and again, if you would have watched the show you would have noticed that each of the judges freely admitted their homosexuality.
I have not called myself manly, and i have not called you un-manly, or whatever the opposite of that would be. Yet as soon as i mentioned that homosexual men selected the women, you became personally offended. What does this imply, Mr. Freud?

Ok let me break it down for you in the simplest possible way.

What are the two prevalant physical features, viewable while fully dressed, that allow a person to distinguish men from women?

The answer is : Breasts and Hips

What are the two features that are most under-prevalent in the women Kasula finds attractive?

The answer is : Breasts and Hips

That's all im sayin, it speaks for itself.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

[This message has been edited by thanuk (edited 11-22-2002).]
Kasula
Sojourner

Postby Kasula » Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:00 pm

Oh BTW Mr. Freud and his views are arcane and wrong. Freud, bless his soul, was a herion addict who treated his addiction with cocaine.

I have "dated" the range of different female forms... hehe The Drunken hook-up with the slightly fat girl, the stripper with the implants, the model with tall slender body, of course the figure skater(that BITCH!)... and everything in between... i have seen many breastess and butts in my day... Hopefully to see more... god willing. LOL
i tell you im a butt man... the butt tells all, you cant hide the fat in the arse.

[This message has been edited by Kasula (edited 11-22-2002).]
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:02 pm

<B>P.S.
My fear of violence and droning for tolerance... when did this become a bad thing?! (Warning: Sarcasm Alert) Ok, lets be more violent and less tolerant. While we are at it, we should be racist and start a religious war. Lets not stop there, nobody really likes New Jersey, lets nuke it. While we are nuking New Jersey, lets instate a government where only white, blonde hair blue eyes people rule. We cant just stop there, lets bomb and nuke and invade any other country that dont agree with us. Lets put women back into their roles of the past, as sex objects, home makers, and child factories. Wait! Its not over! Lets inslave a whole race of people... Hey! How about a Holocaust?! that sounds like fun! Wow! the world is such a better place now! You were right Thanuk... What was i thinking?! </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok now that we are just COMPLETELY off the topic, im going to have to flame you cuz you're just begging for it Image

Okay, instead of being more violent, lets become more tolerant! First things first, get rid of all those icky weapons, they hurt people and do no real good. Oh, some country flew planes into our towers! We must have done something wrong to them! Lets give them some money! Now that we have no means to defend ourselves, i guess we will just have to pay them to not attack us.
Now on to more domestic issues! Since we can't kill people, why do will kill animals? Thats it we're a vegetarian nation. But what about the poor plants that we kill! We cant eat them either, it would be wrong of us, so i guess we will just starve! Hey, if everyone is starving then we will all look like those attractive supermodels, we killed 2 birds with one stone! Dodgeball picks on the weaker children, lets ban it. In fact, lets ban all sports and competition, that way everyone can be equal. In fact, lets make everyone dye their hair the same color and wear colored contacts, so that nobody will be jealous of each other's hair or eye color. We wont have to kill anyone who doesnt adhere to this policy tho, we'll just wait for them to starve to death. Oh wait, the people who dont agree with us decided to fight for their own views, and now we're all dead since we are too tolerant to defend ourselves! Woohoo!

God damned hippies.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:04 pm

"What are all you fatties doing the seal clap for??"

"I dont need psychoanalysis from some crackhead hippie in southern california."

"...kind of man watches pre-pubescent boys strut on a runway dressed in diamond studded bras and stiletto heels?"

Flames? What flames? *peer*

------------------
Kasula
Sojourner

Postby Kasula » Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:33 pm

Flames... flaming... flamers... LOL

I take no offense...

Thanuk,
You know what happens when you ASSUME right? hehe it makes an ASS out of U and ME LOL. And you have made a couple of ASSUMPTIONS. you know what happens when you make ASSUMPTIONS, it makes an ASS out of U and MPTIONS rofl... but i digress. I not vegatarian nor do i like them. I not a hippy nor do i like them. I never said that life is fair or equal, far from. But it would be better for people live and find out on their own, instead of being killed by violence. I know that people arent smart or beautiful as others and people are just going to deal with it. Violence is not a ends to a means. Violence doesnt solve any problem, it creates more. Truthfully, who are we defending ourselves against?! You fail to see the big picture, if people would just be more tolerant of others and their briefs. Mind you this goes both ways. Why do Americans view their world as US or them? I hate to sound like a hippy but we are all in the same race... the HUMAN RACE.
Fura
Sojourner

Postby Fura » Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:48 pm

I haven't watched either show, so I'll just have to stick to generalities.

Fashion shows as a concept are okay - here's some things to think about for increasing your own personal attractiveness - but they're not diverse enough to recognize that people come in many sizes and shapes. An Inuit and someone from a more tropical region will not be the same basic build unless one of them is not at their best of health. By limiting the presentation to only one body shape, the message is that only one shape is acceptable. The trend has been moving toward slimmer and slimmer for so long that I don't feel it's fair to say that homosexuals are making these decisions - it's become a cultural bias.

The Bachelor - from what I can tell in just a little reading on the Web - is fairly shallow. People trying to find Mr. and Ms. Right out of a small group of others, who probably were already pre-selected with a basis being beauty and charisma. The thing is, this sort of thing seems to happen regularly. If people are asked to share what they think of the others regularly, then it could be a good insight into how some others think.

Which is worse? To be encouraged to look like a model, or to be encouraged to shape oneself to be perfect for the Bachelor or Bachelorette? Maybe if I watched the Bachelor I could say which I really feel to be worst, but let's just say that any encouragement to be other than the best you can be probably isn't a good thing, no matter your gender.
Zungar
Sojourner

Postby Zungar » Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:21 am

I admire excess posterior and I can not make false statement
All you other fellows can not disagree
When a woman makes entrance with a rather small midsection
And a spherical object within your immediate vision
You become aroused

Zungar "What would Sir Mix-A-Lot sound like as an educated man?" Eye Gone

[This message has been edited by Zungar (edited 11-23-2002).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:22 am

I feel stupider for reading this thread...

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Zungar
Sojourner

Postby Zungar » Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:28 am

*grabs hold of Corth and gives him a test squeeze*

Actually you feel warm and squishy. Hrm...reminds me of something i saw in an outhouse once when I mistook it for a piece of tinder.

Zungar "I'd like a double latte enema, hold the whipped cream" Eye Gone

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:38 pm

Interesting topic.. I spoke with many of the female professionals at my work (usually very smart and aggressive). They all say the Bachelor by far and wide was horrific for women.

Victoria Secret is nothing different than what you see at the beach every day - cept they had more clothes on in the VS fashion show than what millions of women dress in our America's beaches. As my friends put it, "There are reasons why a woman might want to do playboy or VS sure.."

But the bachelor was extremely degrading to woman. I mean the guy (as my friends put it) is a f*&^king jenious - he gets to bang 30 women whenever he wants, do to them whatever chooses, and in the end gets to pick his choice - while 30 women live in the same place and go nuts. The women of course are all beautiful, but our minds (my friends and I at work) were also dumb as posts. What could be more degrading than women willing to join a herom and go against what most women (and men) strive for - a monogomist relationship. Theres alot of other reasons why it sucked, but all in all a very degrading moment for the better half of our species. Image

Miax
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:13 am

and once again it all boils down to what YOU like not what your neighbor thinks you should like ...

if you want the rail thin girl whose bones poke you more than yours poke her *wink wink nudge nudge* then go for it Image

im one of the REAL girls ... boobs AND butt ... sure i could lose 20 pounds, but im in no way fat ... and i seem to do ok in the second glances department ... there are a couple people who have met me in person .. they didnt run and hide and STILL talk to me .. gee whizz maybe personality does make up for it ...

to dog one another for personal choices is silly and childish Image

the world is made of people of all shapes and sizes, colors and religions .... more tolerance is exactly what we need!!!

---------------------------
-just jen's two coppers again
Kasula
Sojourner

Postby Kasula » Sun Nov 24, 2002 1:38 pm

Word! Jen...

Tolerence is good... but i need my beautiful baby!
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:16 pm

Well until you give me something better to work with, im afraid i have no choice but to dog Kasula for his personal choices. Kasula could you post some of your general beliefs so i could dog you for something else? Image
Nukie

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Nitania
Sojourner

Postby Nitania » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:06 am

As for the women, dont be a hater... Just because you want to look like these model but you cant.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why is it ok for a man to say that he'd prefer a non stick-figure girl, but when a woman says its unhealthy is she instantly labeled 'fat'?

Im a woman. I think stick figures are fine if you are NATURALLY like that. If you force it, it isnt healthy.

Am I instantly fat for saying this?

I can tell you I'm a real woman. I dont force it.

Nitania

------------------
Nacet
Sojourner

Postby Nacet » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:57 am

I must agree with corth. I should have never wasted 10 minutes of my life to read this post about how kasula and thanuk debate on how they can relate tolerance and violence with 12 year old little boys.

------------------
Malar laughs as you try to spook him.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Miax:
<B>Interesting topic.. I spoke with many of the female professionals at my work (usually very smart and aggressive). They all say the Bachelor by far and wide was horrific for women.

Victoria Secret is nothing different than what you see at the beach every day - cept they had more clothes on in the VS fashion show than what millions of women dress in our America's beaches. As my friends put it, "There are reasons why a woman might want to do playboy or VS sure.."

But the bachelor was extremely degrading to woman. I mean the guy (as my friends put it) is a f*&^king jenious - he gets to bang 30 women whenever he wants, do to them whatever chooses, and in the end gets to pick his choice - while 30 women live in the same place and go nuts. The women of course are all beautiful, but our minds (my friends and I at work) were also dumb as posts. What could be more degrading than women willing to join a herom and go against what most women (and men) strive for - a monogomist relationship. Theres alot of other reasons why it sucked, but all in all a very degrading moment for the better half of our species. Image

Miax</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very insightful post... I wonder if women in CS/IT have, on average, a different approach to the subject.

One thing that I noticed was the assumption that everyone strives for monogamy. IIRC, that is essentially a Western/European ideal. Thoughts on this?

------------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'look on the bright side, I just saved you some corpses. We all know you would have gotten spanked'
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:53 pm

Without question we can agree that there are varying body types out there (e.g., women with big hips, no hips, big breasts, small breasts, etc).

It has been my own person experience and preference that "what is sexy" is largely determined on attitude and even more so on to what degree someone "feels comfortable in their own skin."

The acutal physical countenace really seems to matter very little. I know that I took a lot of flack from my friends (male and female) in college when I dated a girl with a fuller figure. I was attracted to her physically and I especially was attracted to her outlook and sense of humor.

Don't get me wrong. It is physical attraction that initially peaks your interest. I just think that many people have an all too narrow view of what is atractive - and it is this view that limits you. (I think I am rambling here and not making sense).

Oh well that's just me. Cheers to you and to your fruitless relationships and pursuits of all things vain and empty.

Toarn

------------------
You shout 'You are no match for elemental Toarn!'
Toarn is dead! R.I.P.
Erevan responds to your petition with 'I don't think they heard you.'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:47 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ambar:
im one of the REAL girls ... boobs AND butt ... </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

gonna need pictures to prove this. detailed pictures Image

god i'm so bored, i shouldn't have taken that nap.

------------------
Nokie group-says 'what a rip-off, I spend months incapacitating navy seamen and doing 28,000 bandages and now we get tons of practice here in bronze citadel'
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:08 am

Best advice on tolerating the preferences of others I've ever seen on the Net
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
On 2002-12-04 10:49:19, DrDizaster wrote:
Look, I don't care what the hell anybody likes or doesn't like. If you wanna fantasize about being squashed under the ass of an 80-foot tall amputee, whatever, that's your thing, I don't care.

What I do care about is somebody pointing and saying "dude, you're so fucked in the head" when you've got your own interests that other people would look at and say "You're a sick fuck, you know that?" to.

Do whatever you want with your interests, but don't belittle others just because your interests differ.

Ass.

(And for the record, no, I do not like furries, preggos, giantesses, or any of that other shit I've mentioned. But neither do I hold it against anybody who does.)
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"
Unag
Sojourner

Postby Unag » Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:46 pm

Didn't bother watching either show. Why? I'd much rather date a girl than sit there and gawk. I also tend to agree with Thanuk that for the most part, I just don't find models attractive personally (just my opinion). The bachelor and the other "reality" shows also hold little interest for me. As it is, folks have to deal with soapy aggravating dramatics in real life, why the heck do people find it fun/interesting to watch?

I'll settle for avoiding TV entirely (with the exception of the occasional Simpsons episode), and wait for the Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

Now there's some entertainment I'll happily watch! Image
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:21 pm

This thread is a horse with a broken leg. Please just let it die Image

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:37 pm

*points to the glue factory*

------------------
You shout 'You are no match for elemental Toarn!'
Toarn is dead! R.I.P.
Erevan responds to your petition with 'I don't think they heard you.'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:17 am

the bachelor is unquestionably more degrading to women.

why?

because it shows their biggest weakness.

women are easy. they are all desperate for love, and will give it up at the drop of a hat for a guy with the right image and attitude. guy wants sex, woman wants love - guys can use the falsity of love to get sex.

what do women do to get love?
Kasula
Sojourner

Postby Kasula » Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:35 pm

OMG have you seen this Joe Millionarie crap on Fox...
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:41 am

nod. makes 19k per year, but these women think he's worth $50 mil, we wonder how they got that impression. this season fox bring you blah blah blah bla

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”