erm, New guy;)

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Sovek
Sojourner

erm, New guy;)

Postby Sovek » Wed Mar 21, 2001 2:48 am

Hey all, just curious as to what this is all about and what the people who play this game are like Image Im going to go explore the rest of the website a little further...
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Mar 21, 2001 3:01 am

We're all freaks and geeks. Image

The MUD itself is based loosely off of Dungeons and Dragons, and set in the world of Abeir-Toril, better known as the Forgotten Realms.

Some areas of the MUD include(If you're familiar with the Forgotten Realms you might recognize some!):

Waterdeep
Menzoberranzan(Not implemented yet, will be eventually!)
Mithril Hall
Scornubel
Moonshae Isles
Baldur's Gate
Calimshan and desert
Many many more...

The MUD is not based off of player-killing, like some others available, and is mainly a skill based MUD, where folks get together and form friendships to overcome some seriously cool and badass zones(areas).

The immortals of Sojourn allow both evil and good race characters.. Like Elves, Trolls, Gnomes, Ogres, Dwarves, Illithids(Mind Flayers!), etc... Warriors, Rangers, Mages of varying types, Clerics, Paladins, Rogues, Psionicists, Druids... You name it. Lots to pick and choose from, and some of the most detailed rooms you'll ever find.

Oh and did I mention TONS of quests? Some easy, some medium skill, and some really hard, for the hardcore questers/players only, of which I don't qualify. Image

Dunno.. that about covers it I think. I'm positive others on here will fill in any gaps I missed, but that's the mud in a nutshell. If you don't like player-killing, and want to play for fun, to be challenged, and make new friends... this is a great place. But as a warning, the learning curve is twisty for new players, especially if you're new to MUDs entirely. Most folks are very helpful(Including the admins/gods), however, and will give you a hand. Image

Oh, also... The MUD isn't re-re-opened yet... They open for public alpha for a couple of weeks on the 25th or so, then they are going to wipe the database and open for good as a beta mud.. which means you'll get to keep your character for as long as the mud is up, and most of us hope that is years and years. Image

Malacar the Wolf (arf arf)
Sovek
Sojourner

Postby Sovek » Wed Mar 21, 2001 3:06 am

Hey that actually sounds pretty kick ass Image
Im a big fan of Forgotten Realms...lol I hear the BBS went down for a bit...Ive played a couple rpgs games like Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 and Icewind Dale, but they lack that interactive feel you get wtih MUD's...it sounds good though Image heh i recogonize every place except Scornubel...

im pretty much a fantasy freak as well...ive done some art based on it as well... http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/k/e/keir/keir.html
that would be my elfwood gallery...id be happy to attempt some character sketches as well...but i kinda suck so you might not want me to do it:P
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Wed Mar 21, 2001 4:49 am

Welcome to the mud. Good luck getting out now. Image

And they say Cocaine is addictive...
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Wed Mar 21, 2001 4:54 am

Once you start theres no going back. No one ever escapes. Best sign over your soul to Miax right now and be done with it.
Tinnel
Sojourner

Postby Tinnel » Wed Mar 21, 2001 5:00 am

ROFL

Ain't that the truth I started here 3 years ago, did Basternae since then, now I'm beating down this door again. Get a 12 gauge needle and put S3 on autodrip pal, this one is even more addicting then pkill if you ask me. Pkill is too easy to get pist off and log. Here you log, your crap is history.

Tinnel
Bibbe
Sojourner

Postby Bibbe » Wed Mar 21, 2001 7:13 am

He Sovek nice art..
I like the handstudy and the Regdar.
What are you drawing with? And ever tried
colors to that lineart?
I'm painting some myself and trying to get a hold of a vacoom set. It really sucks using the mouse.
here's my first learning with the mouse.
face
I know there's a lot of "blubbers" on it, but hey it's my first, and converting from pen to muose wasn't the easiest. Hopefully will learn better when i get myself that vacoom.

- Bibbe
Bibbe
Sojourner

Postby Bibbe » Wed Mar 21, 2001 7:18 am

oh yeah ..
and here's a sneak preview of my next one..
It's not finnished, but it's my first try with colors and mouse.
new one
The ankle of her neck creates a lot of troubles for me .. bleah...

Oh yeah and welcome to the game Savok.. You want a link to a great art forum, with way too talented artists which really helps you improve your skills?
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Wed Mar 21, 2001 12:31 pm

Hey Bibbe... can't get your pictures to show up. Sovek, nice art man, keep at it!

Galkar - Can't draw worth a damn -
Sovek
Sojourner

Postby Sovek » Wed Mar 21, 2001 12:57 pm

Lol thanks for all the dire warnings Image
Thanks for the compliments as well! Image
I couldn''t get your art work to show up though Bibbe, you might want to check the links...for the art you saw on my page, I just used pens, and for some of the others just pencil...hhehe ive wanted to add colour to alot of my pictures but it usually doesnt turn out too well...dish up that link anytime Image
so I hear that you can actually be a drow in this game for once Image
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Mar 21, 2001 1:17 pm

Sure can.. Evil races are:

Illithid
Troll
Ogre
Drow Elf
Duergar Dwarf
Yuan-Ti

Neutral Races, dependant on class are:
Human

Good races:
Grey Elf
Half-Elf
Gnome
Halfling
Dwarf
Barbarian

Classes are:
Warrior
Paladin
Anti-Paladin
Ranger
Druid
Bard
Invoker
Enchanter
Illusionist
Conjurer
Psionicist
Cleric
Shaman

I think I caught all the classes... Someone fill in the blanks if I didn't! Image

Mal

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 21, 2001 1:23 pm

You forgot:

Rogues. And some other things we are arguing about.

Your friendly neighborhood God boy,

Sarauble
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Mar 21, 2001 1:23 pm

Hmm, human antis and human necros were going to be considered good this time around (based upon their race) right? Meaning that, along with all the other goodies, they will simply be unable to group with evil races?
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Mar 21, 2001 1:27 pm

No Cherz.. Anti's and Necros can freely group with evil or good, as I understood it. The only addition was that they could enter good towns like Waterdeep now, since it made sense. Liches will still be evil race, IIRC. Correct me if I am wrong tho. Image

Thanks Saurable.. Sorry rogues! I never played one so they slipped my mind.

Mal

[This message has been edited by Malacar (edited 03-21-2001).]
Brugg
Sojourner

Postby Brugg » Wed Mar 21, 2001 2:30 pm

Ok man i really dont think that you suck at this at all. In fact i loved most of the drawings i saw. Well now youre skint everyone and thier brother are gonna want character sketches of thier characters. Get ready to draw pilgrim!
Fezbozz
Sojourner

Postby Fezbozz » Wed Mar 21, 2001 2:36 pm

I was wondering..I thought I caught something along the same lines as what cherzra said. That was why the admins said something about having an evil race that can play an anti.
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Wed Mar 21, 2001 3:03 pm

Hey, Mal, you forgot Necros! Image

You know, I still think humans are on the goodie side. I don't want to bring on another arguement about that, but that's my opinion on humans.

Nizrath
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Mar 21, 2001 3:10 pm

Namatoki, for the most part, you are very much correct. Humans are -mostly- goodie races. But with the advent of anti's and necros, those two races are allowed to be with evils.

Fez: From what I understood, the ONLY changes that happened that affect Necros and Anti's, aside from class balancing, is that they can group with rangers and paladins, and can walk around in goodie towns without pets. I never heard anything stating they could not keep their old grouping habits. Don't forget, the new outcast code prevents grouping, so it'd be easy as pie for them to add a rule allowing class 1 and 2, but disallowing classes 3-20.

Again, I might be wrong. But that's the way I understood it. Image

Mal
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Wed Mar 21, 2001 7:55 pm

Think about it this way, how often will you see a human, necro or not, hanging out with a bunch of trolls, ogres, yuan-ti, etc without the human having to fight for his life. Not very often. Drow maybe, Illithids would make them slaves, never equals. An evil race with AP's would be better IMHO, and AP's/Necros of the human race should kept from groupin with the evils.... Just my 2 cents....

Galkar
Grumdikanikus
Sojourner

Postby Grumdikanikus » Wed Mar 21, 2001 8:01 pm

Wasn't Aktosh a Human necro?

Grumdi

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 21, 2001 8:24 pm

Yes Aktosh was a human necro who happily grouped with a druid half-elf and a number of other 'goodie' classes until he decided to become a Lich.

Fayren
Sovek
Sojourner

Postby Sovek » Wed Mar 21, 2001 9:27 pm

Hot damn this game sounds good Image
now are there class restrictions for each race? i.e typically a drow cannot become a paladin correct?
anti paladins are like dark knights correct?
are there alignments in the game too? i.e lawful good etc....
Quorlas
Sojourner

Postby Quorlas » Wed Mar 21, 2001 10:23 pm

What kinda spells would an enchanter get ?
imp
Sojourner

Postby imp » Wed Mar 21, 2001 10:23 pm

no chaotic-lawful alignments just good-neutral-evil.

As for race-class:

Evil races are:
Illithid -psi
Troll - warr,shaman
Ogre - warr,shaman
Drow Elf - Warr,Rogue,Inv,Ench,Conj,
Cle
Duergar Dwarf - warr,cle,rogue
Yuan-Ti - Warr,Rogue,Inv,Ench,Conj,
Cle

Neutral Races :
Human - all except psi I think

Good races:
Grey Elf - warr,rang,cle,inv,conj,ench,druid?
Half-Elf - warr,rang,cle,inv,conj,ench,druid,bard
Gnome - warr,cle,inv,conj,ench
Halfling - warr, rogue
Dwarf - warr, rogue?
Barbarian -warr,shaman

Fill me in where I missed something pls, not sure wich classes will able to be rogues(combined prev thief and assassin) nor do I know who may be illusionists.

/imp
Sszantiel/Morthor
Sojourner

Postby Sszantiel/Morthor » Wed Mar 21, 2001 10:24 pm

Galzar,

You make a good point, but I think that any evil race would have a sort of respect for the power of a human Necro/Anti. I think respect for power is the main, if only, reason evils would group with eachother at all if you want to look at it with a touch of realism. So I think that those evil humans should be allowed to group with whomever they want and be able to go incognito into hometowns (without pets). A human has the cognitive power to choose traveling companions that would not try to kill him on sight, but instead aid him out of respect for his power and a like mind for killing/destruction.

-Sszantiel

[This message has been edited by Sszantiel/Morthor (edited 03-21-2001).]
Sszantiel/Morthor
Sojourner

Postby Sszantiel/Morthor » Wed Mar 21, 2001 10:29 pm

I'm sorry, I was replying to Galkar not Galzar.

And I'm still confused about whether or not evil humans will be able to group with evil races, as I think many others are.

-Sszantiel
Tinnel
Sojourner

Postby Tinnel » Wed Mar 21, 2001 11:51 pm

Shev,

Can we know a definite answer on this please? Or at least know if we can't have a definite answer :P, I think it makes sense that they should be able to group freely. I think Sszantiel makes a very valid point. As one who is interested in the new and improved AP. It's gonna put it out of the question if I can't group with my evil pals.

T
Yarthra
Sojourner

Postby Yarthra » Thu Mar 22, 2001 12:14 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imp:
<B>no chaotic-lawful alignments just good-neutral-evil.

As for race-class:

Evil races are:
Illithid -psi
Troll - warr,shaman
Ogre - warr,shaman
Drow Elf - Warr,Rogue,Inv,Ench,Conj,
Cle
Duergar Dwarf - warr,cle,rogue
Yuan-Ti - Warr,Rogue,Inv,Ench,Conj,
Cle

Neutral Races :
Human - all except psi I think

Good races:
Grey Elf - warr,rang,cle,inv,conj,ench,druid?
Half-Elf - warr,rang,cle,inv,conj,ench,druid,bard
Gnome - warr,cle,inv,conj,ench
Halfling - warr, rogue
Dwarf - warr, rogue?
Barbarian -warr,shaman

Fill me in where I missed something pls, not sure wich classes will able to be rogues(combined prev thief and assassin) nor do I know who may be illusionists.

/imp</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Half-Elfs can only be Rangers, Druids and bards if I'm remembering right.
Dwarfs also get Clerics, they used to get Conjies but not sure if that changed last wipe or not.. can't remember for certain.
I'm thinking that Halflings get more than just Warrior, Rogue as well..
I think you've got the rest right though...
but don't quote me on that :P
Sovek
Sojourner

Postby Sovek » Thu Mar 22, 2001 12:29 am

now i suppose all races arent considered that equal...but say, would a drow warrior have more agility then a ogre therefore offsetting his lack of strength? making it more of an even fight?
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Thu Mar 22, 2001 1:13 am

Hmm In past incarnations no. The ogre would whip the drow. I think With the new combat system in the playing field will be leveled a little bit but not entirely. Ogres and trolls will still make better warriors then drow and snakes but then again there aren't any ogre invokers or necromancers. Each race has classes that they are particualrly suited for.
Fezbozz
Sojourner

Postby Fezbozz » Thu Mar 22, 2001 5:45 am

You could be right Mal I am not sure. I know my memory is not what it used to be hehe. I just thought it made sense since they had mentioned something about having an evil race anti. Personally either way is fine by me.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”