Mac vs. PC

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:49 am

I'll see your puny fanboy cartoon, and raise you some colour.

------------------
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:07 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xisiqomelir:
<B> I completely disagree. This concept of Macintoshes being just for people doing 3D rendering and image editing is outright FUD. To counter your point, I should like to say that unless you absolutely MUST play each new computer game as it comes out, stay away from Windows PCs.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mac hrm,

hey dude lets play some halo online

oh wait theres no gamespy for mac

well we can still play some halflife mods

oh wait, no halflife for mac

quake?

oh yeah

Well lets just do some mudding

but theres no zmud for the mac either

have fun in terminal

oh well

g

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:56 pm

For the record I'm running a g4 laptop 667Mhz 40gig hd 256 ram. (which doesn't mean anything like it does for a pc)

Jaguar (OS X.2) is so clean its insane. The few problems that OSX had initially are all but gone from the new version...with the automatic updates coming easily and autimatically for the os itself as well as individual programs.

Unless you haev truly explored the new OSX you can't even comment here. It is such a far cry from macs of old that visual similarities aside, they are completely different animals. OSX uses memory a million times more efficiently then a PC ever has or looks to any time in the future. Programs run in memory bubbles, independant from the rest of the operations, allowing you to not worry about crashing the OS itself... the OS will never crash. Only programs can crash (there's always sloppy people writing programs)

Macintosh doesn't use RAM the same way as a PC. Every time you run a program or do something new in a program, OSX determines the exact amount of RAM needed to do that task efficiently. There's no memory allocation, no worrying ... ever. And on top of that, OSX uses any availible hard drive space as RAM to spread the load out as wide as possible so everything runs smoother and cleaner.

Visually, OSX is incredible. Small things, like window resizing, transparent/translucent icons, the clean blues (or graphite as you choose) compared to the godawful brightness of XP... the list goes on and on.

There are 2 disadvantages to Mac however. Lack of software, and the dificulty switching methods of operation. If you are so attatched to certain PC software that you might die before they carbonize everything in the next year, then you can run virtual PC...old macintosh programs run in an os 9.2.1 emulator called Classic. Or you can reboot your system into os9 completely.

The switch is actually easier then you would think. Every time i get ready to do something new, I prepare myself for the onslaught of installing via disc, endless wizard setups...etc. And 100% of the time I'm completely blown away by the ease at which everything runs. I bought a new digital camera and after I took a few test pictures I got my install disks ready and plugged it in. a few seconds later, OSX opened iphoto, showed me the name and model of the camera I just plugged in and asked me if i wanted to delete or keep the originals in the camera as it downloaded them.

OSX is so incredibly easy to use and worry/hassle free that its amazing. I for one will never go back to PC. And I say again...until you have TRULY sat down with the new Mac OS, you truly don't know.

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 29, 2002 10:02 pm

Does ... OSX have a Trash Can icon? Can you make it bray like a goat when you put something in?

Moo?

Miax
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sun Dec 29, 2002 10:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Miax:
<B>Does ... OSX have a Trash Can icon? Can you make it bray like a goat when you put something in?

Moo?

Miax</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You realize that Oscar the Grouch was in my trash can 5 years before Microsoft copied....err,"innovated" it's own?

------------------
tiluss
Sojourner

Postby tiluss » Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:15 am

I lover when people start these threads. Okay i like to start by saying I mac user because what i have to say usally shocks people. Windows vs. Mac OS X don't matter shit. In case you havent noticed the diffrence in the OS's anymore is more or less just graphics. You can go back and fourth with the my mac crashed on me or my windows or my linux machine ws the hardest thing in the world to use. but really those diffrence are only your presonaly preferance. I chose apple computers because thats what i've always had.

I happen to like apple better as a company because of ther bussines practices. They have them mentality of the underdog and try to be inovative and stable and sell it all in one bundle. Microsoft on the other hand has very heavy handed pratices when it comes to forceible outdating software and hardware.

Just so people don't try to tell me i don't know what i'm talking about. I have my G4 laptop at school. I run OSX 10.2.2 i have X windows installed running kde. apache and reinstalled and runnign open ssl.. and on and on... I work three computer labs at my college, PC, MAC, and Redhat. They all work the same.. However there are varying levels of support on campus. macs are rather neglected and i'm basically the only support for the redhat machines.

I suppose what it comes down to is pick what your comfortable with... But be ware that if yuo wanna matain the machinces you will have to update a windows machine more often... or who knows kaza may stop runing.....
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:51 am

windows XP is better than anything mac ever made. u all suck.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:37 am

Gormal:

I love when people say you can't crash macs now. Why? Because I crashed mine 3 times in one day. I don't remember exactly how, but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the USB. (OSX seems to have some problems with USB in multiple areas...) The Mac expert in the cube across from me also crashed it once when he was trying to help me with something.

I also don't really like the look of OSX. I find XP much more cool looking, at least after you change the color scheme to silver... heh.

Using any available hard drive space as ram is something windows has done for years. They call it a swap file, and it existed in Windows 3.1.

To be honest, the only features I like better in OSX compared to OS9.1 are the column file view and not having to set the memory for a program. I miss a couple of the old features though, like being able to put a folder on the edge of the screen where it would become a tab that opened when you moused over it.

I just recently got a new (used) computer, capable of running WindowsXP. I've had no difficulty at all setting it up and installing new hardware/software on it. The only problem is that my flash player keeps crashing for some reason. But even that never affected the OS at all.

Honestly Tiluss is mostly right. I don't like the way OSX runs, but that's mostly personal preference. Given my experiences with OSX, I can't give it any credit for greater stability either. So what it should really come down to is availability of software, and what color scheme you like best. Of course, if you do choose based on available color scheme, you're a born Mac user. Image

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:11 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
windows XP is better than anything mac ever made. u all suck.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considering it basically is everything Apple ever made, how can this be true?

------------------
tiluss
Sojourner

Postby tiluss » Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:26 am

I lover when people start these threads. Okay i like to start by saying I mac user because what i have to say usally shocks people. Windows vs. Mac OS X don't matter shit. In case you havent noticed the diffrence in the OS's anymore is more or less just graphics. You can go back and fourth with the my mac crashed on me or my windows or my linux machine ws the hardest thing in the world to use. but really those diffrence are only your presonaly preferance. I chose apple computers because thats what i've always had.

I happen to like apple better as a company because of ther bussines practices. They have them mentality of the underdog and try to be inovative and stable and sell it all in one bundle. Microsoft on the other hand has very heavy handed pratices when it comes to forceible outdating software and hardware.

Just so people don't try to tell me i don't know what i'm talking about. I have my G4 laptop at school. I run OSX 10.2.2 i have X windows installed running kde. apache and reinstalled and runnign open ssl.. and on and on... I work three computer labs at my college, PC, MAC, and Redhat. They all work the same.. However there are varying levels of support on campus. macs are rather neglected and i'm basically the only support for the redhat machines.

I suppose what it comes down to is pick what your comfortable with... But be ware that if yuo wanna matain the machinces you will have to update a windows machine more often... or who knows kaza may stop runing.....
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:14 pm

reason to use a mac #83: Firewire Targeting mode. my god, could copying data from another computer be ANY easier?

and yes, I arbitrarily picked #83.

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:01 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tiluss:
<B>
But be ware that if yuo wanna matain the machinces you will have to update a windows machine more often... or who knows kaza may stop runing.....</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I ran Windows 95 for 5 years, and I never had any problems with software. Except for new software that exceeded my computers physical limitations.

However:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?50@154.obKtaKVWfAK.4@.3bbd225f

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
We have 3 Tektronix printers (Phaser 380, 560, 600) and I have been printing to them via IP print just fine. Then today I upgraded to 10.2.3 and I am getting the error "can't open PSStream for stdoutERROR" pictwpstops-"

HELP!

I can't believe this, software update comes up automatically, I follow the directions and now I'm stuck here with unworkable printers. How can this be? I deleted the printers and tried to connect via Apple Talk and again via IP and nothing. I get the same error as listed above.

I am furious.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apple's "upgrades" break things.

(If you look at the rest of that forum, it's actually pretty common... Apple decided to switch how the OS handled printing, leaving a lot of printers hosed until software companies can catch up...)

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:43 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
<B> Apple's "upgrades" break things.

(If you look at the rest of that forum, it's actually pretty common... Apple decided to switch how the OS handled printing, leaving a lot of printers hosed until software companies can catch up...)

Yeah, that never happens with windows.

you know, a person might start to think Apple stole your girlfriend or kicked your dog.

It's pretty easy for a person to archive install preserving their user accounts/network preferences back to an earlier version of 10.2 if they find that a particular printer vendor's drivers aren't compatible with an update. Or they can always look for a generic ppd.

You're trolling apple help forums for ammo to post in this forum? pathetic.

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:52 am

No Kuurg, I'm one of the people trying to fix that little mistake and get the patch out there so people can print. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I've never heard of a windows update breaking things, and Windows supports rollback installs too. (Though I've never bothered.) If Windows has had updates which broke things, then that's just another matching quality... which again brings it back to who's got more, and better, software. Advantage: Windows.

Oh, and I think my current biggest grip against Apple is the shitty shitty documentation they give us to program with. You look up a function, and it has no description for what it does. If it does have a description, it probably uses some constants that you can't find any documentation on. Every line of code starts off with searching the internet and ends with searching system header files. Until Apple makes coding on a Mac _much_ easier I don't think they'll ever close the software gap.

------------------
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuurg:
<B>

reason to use a mac #83: Firewire Targeting mode. my god, could copying data from another computer be ANY easier?

and yes, I arbitrarily picked #83.

<i>"If IEEE 1394 ports are available, try connecting the two computers with an IEEE 1394 cable. On each machine, Windows XP will immediately create a new network connection and assign it an IP address. Within a few seconds, you should be able to open a Windows Explorer window to the other computer by typing \\machine_name in the address bar. You’ll be presented with whatever shared resources the machine makes available. Depending on how it was set up, it may already have a SharedDocs folder, but if not, you can create shares to move files back and forth. At this point you can then transfer files back and forth at speeds much higher than on most other networks.
</i>" - http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/expertzone/columns/bridgman/02march25.asp

Granted, it takes one or two more steps than Firewire Target mode. But it also doesn't open your entire hard drive up to anyone who happens to have a firewire cable and wants to see what's on your hard drive.

------------------
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:35 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
<B>
Granted, it takes one or two more steps than Firewire Target mode. But it also doesn't open your entire hard drive up to anyone who happens to have a firewire cable and wants to see what's on your hard drive.

*shrug* if a person is paranoid about someone seeing whatever is on their HD, set up password protection in open firmware - nobody can mount it as a firewire disk. it's not like the protection is not there on the Mac...they're just not touting 'cumbersome' as 'protection.'

so much for hoping this thread would quietly slip off the front page.

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:40 pm

Oh yeah, connecting two computers while running, and put the files you want to transfer into a shared directory is _so_ much more cumbersom than having to shut down everything you are doing and reboot the laptop while holding down the right key.

------------------

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”