difference in treatment Iraq - N. Korea

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sun Jan 05, 2003 7:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Miax:
Oh and BTW you dont read England's version of english all day and night, you read ours (USAs) - the bastardized, slanged version. I bet that 99.9% of the english you read and write is in Our broken format.. Oh thats right, our version is the one taught in almost every nation around the world! What was I worried about? </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually not true.

In europe, the uk spelling is still taught in school. (Which has probably more to do with schools not wanting to replace "perfectly good books". )

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jegzed:
<B>In europe, the uk spelling is still taught in school.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case in India and parts of Africa, too (the old Empire, basically). But if you look at the Web, most of it seems to be in American-English, so those that speak and write English-English have to be "bilingual".

Now iph ounly wee kould simpliphy r speling.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:07 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
Uhm... the British were speaking English before you. The only reason you speak it, is because they colonized the US.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This reminds me of the funniest lines in Saki (not my favourite, my favourite lines are the whole of Sredni Vashtar):

<I> "...At least you might give him a preliminary trial at Etretat.
"And be surrounded by Americans trying to talk French? No, thank you. I love Americans, but not when they try to talk French. What a blessing it is that they never try to talk English."</I>

------------------
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"
Koromar Cougarclaw
Sojourner

Postby Koromar Cougarclaw » Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:31 am

Cherzra is a complete moron.

I have more intelligence in my smallest fart, than Cherzra will ever possess.

I'm certain that anyone with better than average intelligence can plainly understand that Cherzra did not receive the attention he needed as a child.

I'm sure he is loving all the attention we're giving him with this thread as it numbs his own personal insecurities.

Get a life and move on Cherzra. You're pissing against the wind here.

I won't justify a response to this topic, as there IS NO topic, just mindless rantings from a bitter hateful individual who is spiritually miserable.

I wish you a long and happy life Cherzra in this ever increasingly Americanized world. Deal with it.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:15 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Koromar Cougarclaw:
<B>Cherzra is a complete moron.

I'm certain that anyone with better than average intelligence can plainly understand that Cherzra did not receive the attention he needed as a child.

I'm sure he is loving all the attention we're giving him with this thread as it numbs his own personal insecurities.

Get a life and move on Cherzra. You're pissing against the wind here.

I won't justify a response to this topic, as there IS NO topic, just mindless rantings from a bitter hateful individual who is spiritually miserable.

I wish you a long and happy life Cherzra in this ever increasingly Americanized world. Deal with it.

I'm going to quote this so everyone can have the enjoyment of reading it, without you deleting it later.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:51 pm

This is an interesting thread. Cherzra provoked a discussion on US foreign policy. Unfortunately, as is typical, two mistakes have been made. One is that a bunch of americans posted knee-jerk, extremely weak "america is great, deal with it" posts. The second is that these are the only posts Cherzra deigned to respond to (which makes one wonder if that was the whole point to his post - to stir up these sorts of replies to rip into). Other people, such as Ikktar and Corth, made strong, intelligent counter-points to Cherzra's original premise. Unfortunately, we don't have the benefit of Cherzra's rebuttal to them.

Now, I can understand choosing your battles, and certainly the "america is great, deal with it" posts deserved to be slammed to a certain extent. But I'd also really like to see Cherzra respond to posts like Ikktar's and Corth's. That would make this thread a much more full, interesting, and informed discussion.

--D2 (well, I can dream, can't I? =D)

------------------
Mikayla OOC: 'we already have beavis and butthead, they just changed their name to malar and hoar'
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D2:
<B>This is an interesting thread. Cherzra provoked a discussion on US foreign policy. Unfortunately, as is typical, two mistakes have been made. One is that a bunch of americans posted knee-jerk, extremely weak "america is great, deal with it" posts. The second is that these are the only posts Cherzra deigned to respond to (which makes one wonder if that was the whole point to his post - to stir up these sorts of replies to rip into). Other people, such as Ikktar and Corth, made strong, intelligent counter-points to Cherzra's original premise. Unfortunately, we don't have the benefit of Cherzra's rebuttal to them.

Now, I can understand choosing your battles, and certainly the "america is great, deal with it" posts deserved to be slammed to a certain extent. But I'd also really like to see Cherzra respond to posts like Ikktar's and Corth's. That would make this thread a much more full, interesting, and informed discussion.

well r2 america is great, but that aint the point. every person believes that thier own country is great, and to some extent that is true. cherzra is tired of america putting its nose where it does no belong and i agree. i am tired of america being the worlds police force, that is not what we are, yes we are the most advanced and powerful nation in the world. but damn why do we gotta deal with the rest of the worlds problems, most other countries dont like us meddling in their affairs and they are right. now things like doing therrorism against us, should result in the removal of all members of the terrorist families from the gene pool, but that is just me.

as for the worlds oil, bah it is controlled this planet long enough in my book, there has to be another source of fuel, but the oil companies got it stashed away.

as for iraq, well that is a situation we put ourselves in 10 years ago. just go in and remove saddam from power, that should eliminate most of the problems.

now for n. korea not to sure about that one, makes it harder to deal with when you know for a fact that they got nukes. thing is only one country has ever used them in an offensive capability, and it was not a pretty site, i think alot of country learned from that one, i know we did, that is why we never used them in korea or nam.

now chewbaca can come and jjump on this all he wants dont really give a rats ass or not, this is not one stating that america is all powerful and what not, dont have to admit it, we all know the facts, just my rumblings about whats happening in the world.

------------------
Her Royal Bitchness Eye Aeturnum
Iktar
Sojourner

Postby Iktar » Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D2:
<B>Other people, such as Ikktar and Corth, made strong, intelligent counter-points to Cherzra's original premise. Unfortunately, we don't have the benefit of Cherzra's rebuttal to them.

But I'd also really like to see Cherzra respond to posts like Ikktar's and Corth's. That would make this thread a much more full, interesting, and informed discussion.

This is also very good and clear points that contribue well to the discussion. So my guess is that it won't be answered :P
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:45 pm

Well I can't respond to everything ya know... Iktar's points are good enough to be taken as they are, I don't have to fight over every post or word. If I responded to everything I'd be busy all day, so I just pick a few. In this case Gordex' and Gormal's.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:51 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by All Of you:
<B> Maybe we should have let Hitler keep your craphole country you live in.

Hey Cherzra... the reason that every conflict in the last 40 years doesn't fall under your defenition of "war" is because you watch too much television.

Cherzra is a complete moron.

Hell, I wouldn't respond either.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

Gargauth responds to your petition with 'whats your point, we hate you'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:00 pm

but those are exactly the sort of posts he *does* respond too...

Corth (bemused)

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
<B> The burden of proof is laid upon the accuser, not the accused. You can't go barging around the world, pointing fingers at countries and say, "YOU! You have ABC weapons." And then expect THEM to prove the opposite because that is impossible. Frighteningly enough, that seems to be the way your country starts dealing with people it sees as "threats" too. How many people have been picked up since 9/11 and are STILL being held without any rights? And I don't just mean Afghans but Americans.
</B>
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At what point did you come to the conclusion that we had to answer to your country? This is between us and them last I checked. Barging around the world pointing fingers? LOL. Do you really think that we are accusing them of something that is not true? I admit that it is a POSSIBILITY, as anything is possible, but I doubt it. Picking people up, as you describe, I am not happy about either. Since we open our doors to people of most, if not all, nations, how can we know who truly claims to want to be a part of the American nation? So the way I see it, we can either shut our doors and kick everyone out we even suspect, or do what we are doing now.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
<B>
It's the act of accusing everyone and everything, the supposed moral supremacy that gives you the right to do as you please all over the world, while you committed horrible crimes yourselves and ignore any international agreement that doesn't suit you.
</B>
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What crimes do you speak of, and were they committed against a country that is NOT part of that agreement? Furthermore, what country, and when?

<B>
Here is the same-old same-old argument that seems to be intrinsically printed upon all your brains. AL QAEDA IS NOT SADDAM HUSSEIN. Difficult, isn't it? Maybe you should wipe that red cloud from before your eyes before you go charging off with your army and try to think clearly for a while. Since you brought up the "1st punch, 2nd punch, 3rd punch", would you care to tell me what they relate to in the real world? Go on, tell me what Saddam's punches against the US were. And don't go throwing in the invasion of Kuwait, because you did the exact same thing in many countries and it doesn't have any bearing on YOU.
</B>
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saddam is worse in my opinion. My take on Saddam is that he wanted to take over Kuwait to take the oil, so he would have bargaining power against the rest of the world to get what he wants.
What did we do, exactly, in those many countries that equates to what Sadaam did? As for the punches, we have learned from history that you don't wait around for the second punch. If you need it spelled out for you, then it has become evident to me don't have a clue as to how the real world works.

<B>
Let's say that Russia decided to meddle in everyone else's business like you are doing.
</B>
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what business are we meddling in that does not currently effect, or possibly effect later, Americans? Furthermore, do you want your country to become the world's police to avoid another world scale war?

In every post, you accuse America of being evil. Where is YOUR proof?

[Serious]
Cherza, what country are you from?
[/Serious]

------------------

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:29 pm

btw, for point of adding something to the discussion, I include a link to an op-ed piece written by Thomas Friedman, entitled "A War for Oil?", as it appears in yesterday's NYTimes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/05/opinion/05FRIE.html?8hpib

Brief excerpt follows:
The primary reason the Bush team is more focused on Saddam [than N. Korea] is because if he were to acquire weapons of mass destruction, it might give him the leverage he has long sought — not to attack us, but to extend his influence over the world's largest source of oil, the Persian Gulf.

But wait a minute. There is nothing illegitimate or immoral about the U.S. being concerned that an evil, megalomaniacal dictator might acquire excessive influence over the natural resource that powers the world's industrial base.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

--D2

------------------
Mikayla OOC: 'we already have beavis and butthead, they just changed their name to malar and hoar'

[This message has been edited by D2 (edited 01-06-2003).]
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:35 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kerath:
<B>I've been keeping tabs on the BBS, and from what I've seen, for every person that takes an all-out anti-American stance, there's about 20 of you who jump in and claim that the US is infallible and almighty. Both arguments are rather silly.

What's the point of even posting that kind of thoughtless, knee-jerk crap? (No offense intended. Really. I just can't wrap my head around it. Although it'd be damn cool if I could go around wrapping my head around things)

Oh, and BTW, if the US does as Lyt says and closes its borders entirely, I hope you folks will have fun burning coal again for electricity, since the way I understand it, we Canucks provide the vast majority of your uranium for nuclear plants, and if you shut us out, we'll just keep it Image That's just to name one of many commodities acquired through trade that are important or vital in a modern, working society. Bellybutton-gazing won't get you anywhere. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, My city runs off Hydroelectric power. And there's a whole lot of us who think nuclear power is a bad idea. (Though Nuklear Power rocks!)

The only thing I'd really miss from Canada is the strippers... Image

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”