The battle of the rangers

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Treladian
Sojourner

The battle of the rangers

Postby Treladian » Sun Jul 22, 2001 1:43 am

Of all the rangers that have been involved in the Forgotten Realms in recent years, two seem to stand out beyond all others. Both of them seem like unlikely beings to take up the call of nature and justice yet both are truely remarkable examples of sylvan warriors nonetheless. The first of the two is quite famous among readers of FR literature. I speak of course of Drizzt Do'Urdden (http://perso.club-internet.fr/guenh/couv/sojourn.JPG), third son of the fallen house Do'Urdden of Menzoberranzen, student of Montolio Debrouche, survivor of the Underdark and arctic, and all around hero. The other is Minsc (http://www.planetbg.com/bg2/encounters/ ... /minsc.jpg). Minsc has made himself known in the Baldurs Gate computer games. He hails from the eastern land of Rasheman but has traveled far to the Sword Coast in his spiritual journey. And yes, that's a hamster in his hands.

Drizzt's animal companion is a magical panther conjured forth from an enchanted statuette. Despite not being a natural beast, Guenhwyvar geniunely cares about her caretaker, enough to be able to overcome the magical compulsion that normally would make her obey her statuette's possessor. As a hunting cat, she's possesses fierce claws and can move silently to a position favorable for a surprise attack.

Minsc has Boo, a "minature giant space hamster" that he acquired sometime after taking one too many blows to the head. Boo can . . . , well, . . . he can bite people in hard to reach places.

Drizzt is quiet and contemplative, possessing great insight into human nature. In battle, he attacks in a blur of slashing blades, silent except for the whistle of scimitars going through the air. He has the precision of a craftsman, the speed of a cheetah, and an ingenuity that allows him to use the battefield to his advantage.

Minsc charges into battle shouting war cries such as "Butt kicking for goodness!" and "Go for the eyes Boo, go for the eyes!" and capable of entering a beserk state that lets him fight more fiercely.

Drizzt fights using two scimitars, one a frostbrand sword powerful in its own right but especially deadly against fiery creatures. The other is a defender scimitar which provides magical defensive bonuses in addition to being very effective offense.

Minsc favors two handed swords. One that he often seems to wind up with is an "intelligent" sword named Lilacor. I use the term intelligent in quotes since although Lilacor possesses the ability to communicate, a sword that says things like "How bout we kill . . . um . . . that over there?," "You know, once, a long time ago, I was like a Moonblade," "Can we kill something now? Huh? Can we?," and "Wouldn't it be cool if you could dual wield me?" isn't exactly what I call intelligent. Still, Lilacor's an effective sword even if it possesses the sentience of a braindead warrior.

So, who would win in a fight? My money's on Minsc. He might not realize that he should be dead after getting hit enough.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Jul 22, 2001 3:43 am

My money's on Drizzt. Minsk might not realize he's dead... but he'd still never hit Drizzt! Image

Sarvis
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Jul 22, 2001 7:14 am

I would. Well duh :P

- Ragorn
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed Jul 25, 2001 9:18 pm

i think both are equal in fighting skills, so the deciding factor has to be their pets. i seen critters and grimlens, so Boo got Gwen licked. also u have to think what hurts more... getting scratched or getting bite in the qui qui.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Wed Jul 25, 2001 9:24 pm

Attack Drizzt in Balders Gate 1 and youll see who would win as your entire party is turned into an exploding ball of flesh and Drizzt stands virtually unharmed. You can do this in the scene in the woods where Drizzt is killing the group of about 20 gnolls. I also found it funny how eleminster would not even acknowledge you when you attacked him and would just walk away as your spells fizzled around him.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Jan 01, 2003 4:04 am

aragorn would kick both their asses
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:01 am

Zrax

It is called tactics.
Drizzt goes down faster than any of the pansy Drow here if you know what to do.

No, it doesn't involve any hacks cheats codes etc, Straight game, you kill him and take his Frostbrand and Defender.

------------------
emote Rescuepractice
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Wed Jan 01, 2003 7:48 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zrax:
Attack Drizzt in Balders Gate 1 and youll see who would win as your entire party is turned into an exploding ball of flesh and Drizzt stands virtually unharmed. You can do this in the scene in the woods where Drizzt is killing the group of about 20 gnolls. I also found it funny how eleminster would not even acknowledge you when you attacked him and would just walk away as your spells fizzled around him.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I killed him and took his swords.

Get the staff of monster summoning and spam hundreds of beasts all over, and use range weapons from a GOOD DISTANCE to add some dammage. He will actually cut a swath through the monsters to get at your PC's.

His swords own tho Image

-Gerad

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:36 pm

Isn't the real question, Bruce Lee vs. Jackie Chan?

Toarn

------------------
Ythera ASSOC:: 'I killed santa- he's an elf'
Nibbil group-says 'is it bad to pass up booty cause you feel like mudding?'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Keran:
<B>Isn't the real question, Bruce Lee vs. Jackie Chan?

Toarn

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bruce lee would fuck Chan up faster than greased lightning. But, in the case of living kung fu experts, jet li has them all wooped.

On topic, Drizzt would carve minsc a new arsehole.

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Dartan tells you 'i own so hard sometimes it makes me want to cry'

Nitupopple group-says 'esrel get glorishan off'
Kribble
Sojourner

Postby Kribble » Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:50 am

"Now Minsc leads. Swords for EVERYONE!"

Drizzt sux, anyone can create a godly character, it takes imagination to create a berserker ranger with a space hampster.

------------------
Friends > All.
-Cap'n Touk
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:45 pm

John Wayne walks in and pwns all!

------------------
Marforp / Sasdor / Kaf / Pofas
Iktar
Sojourner

Postby Iktar » Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kifle:
<B> Bruce lee would fuck Chan up faster than greased lightning. But, in the case of living kung fu experts, jet li has them all wooped.

Bruce lee was heavily involved in tournaments and sparring. Jet li however is not. same with Jackie Chan. so my money would be on Bruce.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iktar:
Bruce lee was heavily involved in tournaments and sparring. Jet li however is not. same with Jackie Chan. so my money would be on Bruce.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wha? Jet Li was winning tournaments 1 age group above his own since he was 8 years old. He created his own style of drunken boxing, and was world champion by the age of 17.

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Dartan tells you 'i own so hard sometimes it makes me want to cry'

Nitupopple group-says 'esrel get glorishan off'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:54 pm

John Wayne was a homo

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:16 pm

Ditka 73, Jet-li -2. Ditka will find a way!

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

Gargauth responds to your petition with 'whats your point, we hate you'
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:05 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thanuk:
<B>Ditka 73, Jet-li -2. Ditka will find a way!

Mike Ditka?
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:49 am

Yeah, but the more important issue is: who would win between Ditka and Da Bearss?

- Grungar "Rosie Perez would whoop Jennifer Lopez and her huge ass" Forgefire

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”