Steelers at Titans

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Steelers at Titans

Postby Jurdex » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:26 am

I feel bad that an entire team's season was finalized due to a kicker flopping.

The officiating this year has been terrible.

They need less subjective calls and more officials.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"

Verarb tells you 'dont drop the soap, carmichael's a cathlic priest'
Cohilrist
Sojourner

Postby Cohilrist » Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:10 pm

I agree 100%
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Sun Jan 12, 2003 4:27 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jurdex:
<B>I feel bad that an entire team's season was finalized due to a kicker flopping.

The officiating this year has been terrible.

They need less subjective calls and more officials.

Dornax
Jurdex

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

did not get to see the game or any highlites yet Image had to work Image

------------------
Her Royal Bitchness Eye Aeturnum
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mikayla:
<B> did not get to see the game or any highlites yet Image had to work Image

Lemme break it down for you. Stealers began by playing like crap because they cant protect well against the titans passing game. Second half the stealers owned the titans. George's bald ass didn't do crap when he was in the game thanks to the #1 rushing defense in the league. George then proceded to get knocked on his ass hardcore and fumbled the ball and was taken out of the game due to an injury. Game went to OT. Titans retarded FG kicker hit the first attempt, but a time out was called before the snap (i think thats how it went) so they had to redo the attempt. The second attempt was wide but a stealers defensman barely touched the guys leg after the kick, even though he was in mid air and could not stop, so they called a retarded penalty that shouldn't even be a penalty because it is a damn full contact sport which pays these pansy asses too much money in the first place. Third, and final, attempt was good even though the steelers head coach attempted to call a timeout again but the official just looked at him and didn't stop the play. The steelers were robbed hardcore, and the titans are crybabies.

IMO they should let each team have possesion of the ball in an OT situation and have them go at it until one team can't match the other's points. I think thats how they do it in college ball. This should be the rule especially in the playoffs. Oh well, titans will be owned in the next round anyway Image

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Dartan tells you 'i own so hard sometimes it makes me want to cry'

Nitupopple group-says 'esrel get glorishan off'
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:14 pm

Anyone care to bet that the OT system will be altered to be more like the College system?

If it isn't done, it should be.

As to the officiating, I'm starting to get the feeling that instant replay has actually made the officiating worse. The officials are now "working with a net", and may be less inclined to "get it right the first time" given the replay factor.

Just my .02c worth.

Toplack

------------------
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:35 pm

The rules of NFL overtime will in no way be changed to resemble anything close to the rules of college overtime, because college football overtime is retarded, plain and simple. The only possible change the NFL would even consider, would be to allow the teams to play a full 15 minute quarter of overtime, rather than the sudden death overtime they play now.

Either way, the steelers got the shaft. The giants got the shaft. The NFL needs to think about paying these officials enough to make a full time job out of being a referee, rather than a part time position, and perhaps they would attract more talented officials to the NFL, who would actually have the incentive to travel across the country to officiate a game, and not have to just use whoever lives in the area. And no, it doesn't really matter, because both the titans and the steelers would get owned by the raiders, just as badly as the jets did. The Raiders are by far the best team in the AFC, and will most likely win the superbowl. Maybe the giants would've given the buccaneers a better game, but its doubtful they would've been able to win. The refs suck, but the only real damage they have done in the playoffs this year is to decide which team will be the sacrificial lamb to the real contenders in the next round.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

Gargauth responds to your petition with 'whats your point, we hate you'
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:14 am

How did the Steelers get the shaft? The rule is VERY simple. You can't make contact with the kicker unless you make contact with the ball also. Until the kicker becomes another player (blocking, receiving, throwing, etc) you CAN'T. Dumb ass on the Steelers did. 'Nuff said. If you wanna say the rule is stupid fine, but don't blame the Steelers loss on the refs.

The Steelers had ample opportunities to win and didn't. They need the rest of January off to think about A) retiring or B) singing with a team that can win the big games (see Rod Woodson).

As for the Titans, I was more worried about the Jets. Nuff said on that too.

------------------
emote Rescuepractice

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:59 am

They didn't call roughing the kicker, they called running into the kicker.

Unless you're saying the Pittsburgh dork didn't actually make contact, there really isn't an argument.

The incredibly stupid thing was for him to continue going at the kicker after the ball was gone.

The call was the right one. There isn't any acting really necessary.

------------------
Iyachtu Decrees 'if (!strcmp(GET_NAME(ch), "Peter Jackson"))
SuddenDeath(ch);'
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:07 am

The ref shouldn't throw the flag, the NFL could take a clue from the NHL and NBA officiating in that when the game is on the line, they generally let the players play.

The ref basically decided the game, which is wrong. The Steelers tried to call a timeout before the third attempt, and a ref actually told Pitt's LB Jason Gildon they had none. They had two.

Gimme a break, if it was my team, I'd flip out. BTW, the Pittsburgh player was in the air, he couldn't do anything, he twisted his body to turn away, but the kicker acted by flopping. The ref likely wouldn't throw the flag unless the kicker twirls and flops.

In my opinion, the NFL will change the overtime period..

The change I think they'll make is each team will get one possession. Even if the first team scores a touchdown or a field goal, the other team will get a shot. If the game is still tied at that point, it will go sudden death.

Just my two cents.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"

thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:28 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Salen:
How did the Steelers get the shaft? The rule is VERY simple. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The rule is not as simple as you think. You may not run into the kicker unless you touch the ball, unless the contact is unavoidable or incidental. If the contact is due to the direct action of the kicker running into the path of the player, instead of the other way around, there is no penalty. At some point, the kicker becomes just another player on the field as well, just like on punts and kickoffs. If the rule were as simple as you say it is, then every time a kicker makes a tackle on a special teams play, the receiving team should be flagged for running into the kicker. This is the NFL, NOTHING is that simple.
The Titans kicker had kicked the ball and taken 2 full steps before contact was made. The steeler player was airborn before the kicker had reached the spot in which contact was made. The steeler player therefore was without the ability to avoid contact, also known as INCIDENTAL CONTACT. Aside from this is the fact that the player did not dive toward the kicker or the holder, he dove a full yard ahead of where the ball was placed for the kick, for the very reason that he wished to avoid the kicker and still have a chance to make a play on the ball. It was the kicker who ran into the Steeler's path, and no flag should be thrown.

It was overtime in a brutal game, it was a chip shot field goal, and he missed it. The ref gave him another shot because of a questionable rule that is a judgement call and cannot be reviewed. He blew the call. You do not call running into the kicker on a game winning field goal if the contact did not in any way hinder the kicker from completing the kick and following through.

It doesn't matter who won that game. The raiders are going to trash them. But to say that this referee made the correct call shows that you have little understanding of football, the way it is played, and the reason the rules are what they are.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:30 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jurdex:
<B>In my opinion, the NFL will change the overtime period..

The change I think they'll make is each team will get one possession. Even if the first team scores a touchdown or a field goal, the other team will get a shot. If the game is still tied at that point, it will go sudden death.

Just my two cents.

Dornax
Jurdex

This suggestion has merit, but you must realize that it will never happen with paul tagliabu as commissioner. He won't change a god damn thing, and every member of the press, every general manager, and every player in the NFL knows it.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:58 am

I agree with you completely on the running into the kicker deal, Thanuk.

Although, I actually do think the NFL will change the way overtime is played. I think even Tags is miffed with the Steelers/Falcons tie earlier this season. There should have been a winner and the NFL knows this.

Now to correct the horrendous officiating..

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”