any car insurance agent?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Iktar
Sojourner

any car insurance agent?

Postby Iktar » Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:35 am

ok, i'm buying a new car and I am looking for sports car. I'm talking, Nissan 350z or RSX Type-S caliber and those two cars are prolly the best bang for buck (For those looking for sports car under 30 g MSRP).

Now, I had my insurance agent provide me with quote. It would cost me about 3,000 a year for full insurance on RSX. But it would cost me 6,000 a year on RSX Type-S for full insurance. Which means...the 4 or 5 years it takes me to pay off my car, my insurance expense will = or > than cost of my car!!!

I realize that insurance is not cheap and especially for these cars. But what makes it so different that it doubles from 3 to 6?!
Only real difference between RSX and RSX Type-S is leather seats, 6 cd changer, 40 additional horsepower, and better brakes.

Question I am asking is...
How can insurance of RSX be 3,000 and RSX Type-S be 6,000 when there is only real hazardous difference is 40 horsepower.

I realize that 40 horsepower is a lot and it will significantly increase the speed but does that justify doubling of price for insurance??

UGH!

[This message has been edited by Iktar (edited 01-24-2003).]
Drakkoth
Sojourner

Postby Drakkoth » Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:42 am

Forget that Jap shit and pick up a Mustang.
Iktar
Sojourner

Postby Iktar » Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:59 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Drakkoth:
Forget that Jap shit and pick up a Mustang.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

resale value on American cars are worse than Japanese.
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:06 am

My understanding, is they have a number that is based on safety values for the car and one based on classification (things like type-S and 350z tend to fit into the higher category on that one), then they figure in the cost of the car, repair and replacement.

From that, they add your age/sex and driving record.

With this they come up with a number. In your case, its 6k a year for the real sporty cars.

Try shopping around some, you may get better rates with companies like Geiko/Progressive/Country than with companies like Farmers/State Farm etc.

Toplack (has owned a 280z and 3 mustangs)

------------------
Tagad
Sojourner

Postby Tagad » Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:03 am

Your getting gored on insurance - assuming you have a clean record. I am a 23 year old male, clean record, with an RSX-S and I do not pay anywhere NEAR that amount for my insurance.

Perhaps your insurance agent is simply retarded and thought that you were getting an NSX? (God I wish I had one)

I would shop around and switch insurance agencies if I were you... Geico has been good to me so far.

Concerning your choices in cars - I do highly recommend the RSX-S. The car is a true blast to drive - especially considering its price range. The only minor complaint (and I do mean minor) is that the car could use stiffer suspension - and that would only really matter if I were to track the car. Thats something I may remedy on mine soon.

A friend of mine at work is also obssessed with Mini Coopers... a fairly interesting car in the S version at a very reasonable price. (I just can't stand the looks)

~Tagad Sigil
~Deregan Blackhammer

P.S. To whoever said buy an American car... Some people like to have the ability to take turns not just go fast in a straight line. Image

------------------
gnerble
Sojourner

Postby gnerble » Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:44 am

I have a 2000 Audi TT and live in Southern California and I'm only paying $1200 a year. I am over the 25 age mark, so that brings things down a bit.

Shopping for insurance is just like shopping for a car. You can bitch and complain about the price, and if they don't give you a good one, leave. There are hundreds of insurance companies looking for your business.

Sigh, edited because I can't spell.

------------------

[This message has been edited by gnerble (edited 01-24-2003).]
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tagad:
<B>Your getting gored on insurance - assuming you have a clean record. I am a 23 year old male, clean record, with an RSX-S and I do not pay anywhere NEAR that amount for my insurance.

Perhaps your insurance agent is simply retarded and thought that you were getting an NSX? (God I wish I had one)

I would shop around and switch insurance agencies if I were you... Geico has been good to me so far.

Concerning your choices in cars - I do highly recommend the RSX-S. The car is a true blast to drive - especially considering its price range. The only minor complaint (and I do mean minor) is that the car could use stiffer suspension - and that would only really matter if I were to track the car. Thats something I may remedy on mine soon.

A friend of mine at work is also obssessed with Mini Coopers... a fairly interesting car in the S version at a very reasonable price. (I just can't stand the looks)

~Tagad Sigil
~Deregan Blackhammer

P.S. To whoever said buy an American car... Some people like to have the ability to take turns not just go fast in a straight line. Image

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

full coverage for me and my wife, with corvette, chrysler 300m and my cav cost us 100 a month

------------------
Her Royal Bitchness Eye Aeturnum
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Jan 25, 2003 3:41 pm

Speaking of new cars, I just bought a new one last week. European cars > Japanese or American cars Image

Insurance = +- 800 euro/year

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 01-25-2003).]
Dlur
Sojourner

Postby Dlur » Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>Speaking of new cars, I just bought a new one last week. European cars > Japanese or American cars Image

Insurance = +- 800 euro/year

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 01-25-2003).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps, but by the looks of that thing, my 8 month old son would have a hard time scrunching himself up enough in order to be able to fit inside of it, much less an adult sized human. I think about 12 circus clowns might be able to fit in it though!

------------------
Ruld Ragingbear
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:32 pm

We're not all overweight here Image
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:37 pm

Hey non-Singaporeans! Here's ANOTHER reason to thank your lucky stars that you don't live where I do.

Ever heard of a COE? No? Well, COE stands for Certificate of Entitlement, which is a licence which PERMITS one to buy a car! Image

And how much do these licenses cost? Why, look no further!

(FYI, $1US= $1.67 Sing, approx )

------------------
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"
Drakkoth
Sojourner

Postby Drakkoth » Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:01 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tagad:
<B>P.S. To whoever said buy an American car... Some people like to have the ability to take turns not just go fast in a straight line. Image

No, I have a lightly modded Mustang and I will rape the shit out of you in the corners too.

I've owned (that is, I bought and drove them, not owned as in spanked) RX7s and a heavily modded turbo Civic, but you know what, you just can't beat the 400+ torque. Once you go that way, you never go back.

[This message has been edited by Drakkoth (edited 01-25-2003).]
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:40 am

Well in America and Japan we don't have cars named Poo Joe like yours Cherzy baby.

Kallinar likes the Opel Calibra.
Drakkoth
Sojourner

Postby Drakkoth » Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:44 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>Speaking of new cars, I just bought a new one last week. European cars > Japanese or American cars Image

Hey, we have those in America too. It's called a Ford Focus with wheels and a bodykit.

I'm no expert on Peugeot's, but that's not a v4 206 GTI that does 0-60 in like 8 seconds, is it? I'm assuming it's something sweeter than I can't find on their site, or you wouldn't have had the balls to post it. Elucidate this issue with a spec sheet url, por favor.
Drakkoth
Sojourner

Postby Drakkoth » Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:45 am

Or for that matter, name for me any European car that is faster and outhandles a new Corvette for the same price or less. Closest you can come is a BMW M5 for twice the price. Jabroni.

[This message has been edited by Drakkoth (edited 01-25-2003).]
Orvik
Sojourner

Postby Orvik » Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:14 am

so anyways...

you consider the TSX or G35 Iktar or looking for pure sport?
6k is way too much for insurance, would almost cost more per month than your car payments!

------------------
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:00 pm

bahahahhahahaha Cherzra drives a ford fecies Image

Anyway, Iktar, you have to remember that you live in New York, and because of that, your insurance is going to be close to double what all these people pay in other states. Everyone in NY is a scumbag and rips off insurance companies whenever possible, and therefore your rates will be exponentially higher than other states. Im getting my car registered in Iowa, so that my insurance will be $1600 less per year. $1600 dollars less, just by changing states! Unreal.

As to the difference in pricing, its not the numbers on your car, but the classification your insurance company puts on it. The RSX is probably classified as a semi-sports car, whereas the RSX type-s is classified as a full sports car, which would explain the difference in pricing. Different insurance companies have different classifications for the same cars, so if you shop around you might find one that classifies the type-s as a semi-sport, or even a company that has a lower rate for sports cars. Good luck, i work for an insurance company (not auto) and ill tell you that they rape you whenever possible Image

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

Gargauth responds to your petition with 'whats your point, we hate you'
Iktar
Sojourner

Postby Iktar » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:16 pm

ok, after chasing a bit and bothering people. i found out that like nuk said type-s is class 19 for motorvehicle insurance which is for sports cars. which still doesn't in my mind, justify cost of doubling insurance from coup sports car.

newayz, im just gunna get RSX. it's kinda stupid tho. i mean for the additional 3 g i was going to drop for Type-S. I can easily spend that 3 g and hook up intake and exhaust and gain the horsepower. kinda dumb.

i'm not sure how mods like that affect insurance if u get into accident with it.

and as for my preference of non-European or American car is 3 things.

1. Resale value
2. Parts
3. Easily fixable

o well... nuk so u work for insurance co.? wut do u mainly deal with?

[This message has been edited by Iktar (edited 01-27-2003).]
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:29 pm

I work for an underwriting agency actually, basically the people you talk to (the insurance company) make a deal with you for insurance and then call a place like the one i work at to write, issue, and insure the actual policy.

We deal with General Liability and property mostly, but we also do special event insurance for like concerts, sporting events (we recently did the X-Games) and stuff like that. Its pretty boring, but there's tons of cash in it if you can stick with it long enough. All i have learned so far is that you assume everyone is going to destroy their possessions in a most idiotic matter, and charge them for it as though it already happened. When something bad actually does happen, you gotta shell out the cash, but the rarity of claims compared to policies would probably surprise you.

I dont deal with auto insurance, so dont take what i say as fact, but from what i understand the modifications on your car would in fact change the policy. Basically what you do is dont say anything about the modifications, and dont get into an accident. If you do get into an accident, dont claim the modifications as damages to your car, and everything will be fine. If you try to claim the value of the mods u did from ur insurance company, odds are they will pay you for them and cancel you immediately, but there is the off chance they could try and get out of paying for anything, since you changed the item you were insuring without telling them. After all, mods are a reason to charge you more every month, so they want to know about it.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

Gargauth responds to your petition with 'whats your point, we hate you'
Drakkoth
Sojourner

Postby Drakkoth » Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iktar:
newayz, im just gunna get RSX. it's kinda stupid tho. i mean for the additional 3 g i was going to drop for Type-S. I can easily spend that 3 g and hook up intake and exhaust and gain the horsepower. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assure you the stock exhaust is more than adequate for that 2.0L V4. No need to adorn it with a fart pipe seen on so many Civics. Those cold air intakes are also basically useless.
Lirathal
Sojourner

Postby Lirathal » Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Drakkoth:
Forget that Jap shit and pick up a Mustang.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree, 'Stangs rule.

<edit> BTW ya miss me? </edit>

------------------
Nippewuciyole OOC: 'getting some'
Levvirrnaxxum OOC: 'omg i am sucking bad'
Dartan group-says 'man i would suck the fattest penis for a reboot right now'
Nippewuciyole OOC: 'i'm a hershey's chocolate, omg i need some'

Make it stop, Make it stop *cry*

[This message has been edited by Lirathal (edited 01-27-2003).]

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”