Forgotten Realms Books

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Selias
Sojourner

Forgotten Realms Books

Postby Selias » Sun Mar 25, 2001 3:11 am

I'm not sure if there is a thread on this or not, and if there is, I'm sorry but I hate looking through 6 pages of posts.

Anyway, I'm wondering who out there has read FR books and which ones are good, as well as discussing books we have read. Just include a list of books that you've read, and which ones were good. I'm looking to read more FR, but I don't know what's good and what isn't.

Books:
I've read all the drizzt and elminster books, along with the cleric quintet. My favorite though was Evermeet.

What else is good out there?
Sel
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Sun Mar 25, 2001 3:37 am

If you liked all of R.A. Salvatore's books, you might like the ones from Elaine Cunningham. She has two now and they are Daughter of the Drow and Tangled Webs. Both are very good.

Nizrath
Zhadow
Sojourner

Postby Zhadow » Sun Mar 25, 2001 4:07 am

They have a series of books in FR ... the one i read usually from R. A. Salvatore and Ed Greenwood. The first Trilogy i've read is the "Ice Wind Dale Trilogy", "The Demon Awaken, The Demon Spirit and The Demon Apostle", "Dark Elf Trilogy", "Legacy of the Drow Series" and "The Crimson Shadow Trilogy". The only book i've read for Ed Greenwood is "Elminister Trilogy". Elaine Cunningham's series about Fern is a page turner. Daughter of the drow is pretty good. I've also read a series called "The Wheel of Time Serires"by Robert Jordan. There are a lot of books i've read and i most of it is in the posession of my friends. I'll try to list all of the books i've finished when i get the chance to get all the Titles and Authors Image
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Sun Mar 25, 2001 4:10 am

Salvatore has a unique writing style and when he tried to write a star wars book last year it was..well it was kinda boring really. It was the beginning of something good though, and thankfully Michael Stackpole took it and ran with it like he always does, that guy is a genius! Maybe Salvatore can convince Stackpole to do for forgotten realms like he did for rogue squadron! superb action narratives without overwhelming you with technical details!
Thalor
Sojourner

Postby Thalor » Sun Mar 25, 2001 4:16 am

Ummm, haven't read much in the past few years, but up until then I think I'd read every FR book(or pretty close).

Avatar Series - Really good. 'Shadowdale' is the first book in that series, I believe. It was the first FR trilogy.

The Trial of Cryic(or something similiarly titled) was the sequel to the avatar series, was pretty good if I remember correctly. Actually, there might've been 2 follow up books to the avatar trilogy, can't remember the other one though.

Finders Stone Trilogy - Decent/Good

Icewind Dale - Pretty good. By Salvatore.

Moonshea Trilogy - Good (read that and you'll fear wizzie EXP and realize why they renamed lost swords)

Druidhome Trilogy - Sequal to Moonshea, not as good, but still decent

Pools of Darkness/Pools of Radiance/Pools of Twilight - I *think* these were good, although don't really remember them.

Best is probably the Avatar series, written by a bunch of different authors(includes Shadowdale, Waterdeep, and one other..)

Basically, any book by Elaine Cunningham, Dougles Niles or R.A Salvatore is going to be good. Although Salvatore's books on Drizzt get rather old after the 3rd or 4th trilogy. Cunningham's drow books are pretty good.

I'd also avoid books by Ed Greenwood, not sure how you could stand reading those Elminster books =P and there's a certain risk involved with reading anything from the Harpers Series, some are good, some are bad. Er, yeah, those are just the books/authors that stand out in my mind.

Oh, and if you like FR, you should check out the first of the Darksun books and get yourself hooked on those, they're really good. I think the series was discontinued for some reason though *mutter*.

-Thalor
Averyn
Sojourner

Postby Averyn » Sun Mar 25, 2001 4:17 am

I would suggest picking up the story of Arilyn Moonblade (elfshadow, elfsong, silver shadows, dream sphere). Written by Elaine Cunningham. I love her writing style. :]

I also enjoyed Finderstone trilogy (continues in several harper series books too), Moonshae/Druidhome trilogy, and the Avatar trilogy (mostly cuz i wanted to know exactly wut happened during the time of trouble, several books released after trilogy too)

Individual books I enjoyed are Murder in Cormyr, Cormyr: A Novel (this is a trilogy too, but i didnt finish it), Silverfall: Story of the Seven Sisters, Stormlight (harper series), Simbul's Gift...

I read alot more.. not as much as my sister, but still! anyway the trilogy I didn't like is the Netheril Trilogy... silly writing style.. at least that barbarian travels to different Planes.. kept it interesting.. for a while.

I haven't read any fr books for a while. Hmm, come to think of it, I haven't read much in a while.. period! There's a lot of fr books I wanna read still, but i'm just too damn lazy. :]

AD
Averyn
Sojourner

Postby Averyn » Sun Mar 25, 2001 4:25 am

Thalor wrote,
I'd also avoid books by Ed Greenwood, not sure how you could stand reading those Elminster books =P and there's a certain risk involved with reading anything from the Harpers Series, some are good, some are bad. Er, yeah, those are just the books/authors that stand out in my mind.

haha, yeah Ed Greenwood's writing style tends to be focused on the characters giggling over everything. Life and death situations are always carefree with no tension or mystery. I try to avoid his books, but sometimes the title of the story forces me to read his stuff. feh1.

Yeah, those Harper series books... Just can't tell which are good/bad. :] Oh well, read em all anyway heh. feh2.

AD
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Sun Mar 25, 2001 4:33 am

Actually, Zhadow, one of the trilogies you mentioned from Salvatore is not a FR one (The Demon Awakens, Demon Spirit, Demon Apostle).

I'd also like to throw in a couple more books I remember. If you like short stories, there are a few good collections in the FR setting. They are the Realms series. The first one is the Realms of Valor. Some excellent short stories are in there. I also second the recommendations of the Arilyn Moonblade series (Elfshadow, etc.) and also the Alias series (Azure Bonds, etc.).

Nizrath
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Sun Mar 25, 2001 4:34 am

If your looking for a good list of books, I have not seen a better list than the ones on this site.

http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~tojan/fore/forefaq.htm
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sun Mar 25, 2001 4:54 am

Grintor, mentioning Stackpole reminds me that I need to get some more Battletech books sometime. His books basically become canon for the game and he's got a lot of fun to read books in that line.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sun Mar 25, 2001 5:54 am

Not just FR, but here's some books on my shelf...

David Farland's "Runelords" saga (HIGHLY recommended)

David Eddings "Belgariad", "Malloreon", "Tamuli", The redemption of Althalus(good book), Belgarath the Sorceror, Polgara the Sorceress

Robert Jordan "Wheel of Time"

R.A. Salvatore... Uh all of it? (Demon wars was excellent)

FR books:

Moonshaes stuff
Drizzt (icewind dale, dark elf, sequels)
Cadderly (cleric quintet)
Spellfire

The original Dragonlance novels(before they went nuts and warped the entire world and stuff) was excellent. I hear the newest book was good too, but haven't read it yet.

Can't think of any others right now.. It's 3 am heh. Image

Mal
Fezbozz
Sojourner

Postby Fezbozz » Sun Mar 25, 2001 1:08 pm

I agree with Malacar on the David Farlands serious is excellent. Another good serious to read are The Riftwar Saga and the serpent war sage by Raymound E Feist. I also enjoyed the first few book by Terry Brooks the Shanara ones. Another good serious is the Death Gate Cycle by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman if ya can get a hold of them all. I have read almost all the FR novels most of them are ok to good if you really love the forgotten realms. Ed Greenwood's books are kinda hard to read sometimes but I did like spellfire and the shadow's of the avatar trilogy.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Mar 25, 2001 1:49 pm

Heh... I like just about every FR book I've read... which is almost all of them. Only one's I haven't gotten to yet are The Summoning which is sitting on my floor while I read Lord of the Rings and Baldurs Gate which I didn't read because I'd already played the game and knew the story... heh.

Now the best are Salvatore's (too many to list), Cunningham's (Daughter of the Drow, Tangled Webs, 4 or so books about Arylin, Evermeet: Island of Elves)... Avatar Trilogy, Spellfire, Crown of Fire, The two sequels to the Avatar Trilogy (those kick ass because they are about the Gods themselves fighting and shit), the Alias books wherein they kill the god Moander and Finder becomes a god who stars in a couple sequels which were good, The City of Ravens... Hmm... this list is getting too long... soon I'll be naming all the books in the series... hehe. Image

Basically I can't think of any I didn't like, the first book in the Harpers series wasn't as good as most of the other books... but it was still better than most of the dragonlance books. Image

Non-FR:

I really love Weis/Hickman. Darksword Trilogy was cool, lots of magic and stuff... their Dragonlance books are good (it's most of the other ones I hate. Image The Death Gate Cycle kicks ass... like 7 books long.

There's only one other series in dragonlance I liked... the Defenders of Magic Trilogy. It proves that dragonlance would have potential if everyone would just stop writing about the same characters all the time. Shared characters suck... heh. Image

The Riftwar Saga by Feist also kicks ass... should be read before the Serpentwar Saga... which I haven't read yet.

Then there's the Incarnations of Immortality series, somewhat more fantastic about the magic and stuff they are still very interesting. In the first book a guy tries to kill himself, but ends up killing the Grim Reaper instead and has to take over his job... heh.

Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy... funny as hell. Except the last book... that one was depressing because everything ceased to exist. Imageout:

Even funnier: Discworld... there's nearly as many Discworld books as there are FR books, but all written by one very funny guy. Here's ashort passage as best I can remember it:

"The City Watch has been very vigorous about using the clamp on illegally parked vehicles. Just today they clamped 3 wagons, 2 merchant stalls, the Opera House... and a duck."

Ok... that's not very exact at all... basically it comes down to the duck... that was funny as hell. Image I'll stop rambling now.

Sarvis
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun Mar 25, 2001 4:17 pm

I read the cleric quinted by Salvatore and really enjoyed it. That is, I bought part one and couldn't stop reading till I finished it, then I ran off to the store for part 2, repeat till part 5.

One thing I disliked about it was the fact that the girl kills the biggest and baddest evil guys with her bare hands. The whole series she is described as tiny, fragile, small, etc, everyone has to protet her blabla, yet when the shit hits the fan she is killing half a dozen 9" trolls and ogres with her bare hands. I mean COME ON.

Cherzra 9" of lean grean mean, aint dying to no 5" human girlie
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Mar 25, 2001 5:52 pm

Heh... didn't she have those crystal daggers though too? And I don't really remember any trolls or ogres... but anything can theoretically be killed with bare hands. Breaking it's neck, certain pressure points are rumored to cause immediate death... lots of things really. Besides... anything she did was less insane than having monks on sojourn fighting tiamat... and most people want them back. Image

Sarvis
Rhelath
Sojourner

Postby Rhelath » Sun Mar 25, 2001 6:44 pm

Woot. Finally a thread I can respond to and know what i'm talking about. I own a horde of FR books. As people have already said though.

The Salvatore books are really good. Though, servant of the shard disappointed me for one particular reason.

The 16 harper books are pretty good, I own all of those, there are a couple that are pretty boring, but all in all good reading.

The cormyr trilogy is a good one. (Cormyr : A novel, The highroad, and death of a dragon)

The story of the Seven Sisters is another good one. A new book that recently came out(I think this month) called The Summoning, part one in a three part trilogy.

Elaine Cunningham has some really good ones. The magehound is one of her newest, part of a new trilogy, good one there too.

(I read far more than I should by the way. Cant you tell?)

Any of the Realms books. (Realms of Magic, Infamy, etc) A bunch of short stories. Really good reads too.

The Avatar Trilogy is a good one along with Shadow of the Avatar.

One of my personal favorites though is the Elmister trilogy, starts with The making of a mage.

The nobles books are good ones as well. Escape from undermountain, war in tethyr, etc.

The lost empire books are good. Lost library of Cormanthyr is one of them. so is the Shadow stone I think.

A classic trilogy I forgot to mention is the moonshae trilogy and the druidhome trilogy, great books.

Ok, i've talked enough and bored everyone to much.

-Rhelath, he who owns a library of FR books.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Mar 25, 2001 6:49 pm

IMHO, the best FR books are all the ones done by Troy Denning. The Twilight Giants trilogy is excellent. Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad was a most excellent plot-twisted sequel to the Prince of Lies. The two books he wrote about the Anauroch in the Harpers series (#1 for sure, #9 I think, can't remember, almost all my books are in a box right now due to the lack of a bookshelf :P) are also good.

I read Salvatore's books, although mostly because I've been swept up in the whole epic since the Icewind Dale trilogy. He does tend to focus too much on battle scenes and not on the plot so much. Don't get me wrong, they are excellently-written scenes, but too much gets a little redundant.

But like I said, Denning is really good if you like plot-thick stories, combined with twists and good action sequences.

Just my opinion. Image

Yas
Rhelath
Sojourner

Postby Rhelath » Sun Mar 25, 2001 7:12 pm

An addendum. There's a couple I forgot to add in that list.

Crucible is a really good book. As yasden pointed out, really good..

Couple others are the arcane age books, the Nethril Trilogy, I liked that one alot.

Another one is the lost gods, the story about Tyche. It goes along with the Finder books.

The simbuls gift is another good book. It's part of the nobles series.

Ok enough of my ramblings.

-Rhelath.

[This message has been edited by Rhelath (edited 03-25-2001).]
Revenki
Sojourner

Postby Revenki » Sun Mar 25, 2001 8:19 pm

I have to agree with the crowd here as far as FR books go the best authors are:

R.A. Salvatore
Elaine Cunningham
Douglas Niles
Troy Denning

the rest are tolerable and Ed Greenwood is a chore to try and read....boring!

Revenki et al.
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Sun Mar 25, 2001 11:07 pm

All through school i avoided reading books, i just didn't like reading....

1 for maths, 1 for science 5th class for english... I could read and write but i cared not for others literary works.

After i was kicked out of high school a mate gave me the Dragonlance books to read. I was hooked! I would even take on the persona of Raistlin when blind drunk.. sort of funny even tho i couldn't remeber any of those nights Image Dragonlance books changed me, i read a lot after that, started playing Dragonquest (sort of like AD&D) Mogr was the GM and did a good job at it.

Then i started reading David Eddings books, he rules!! The Belgaraid was awesome and the rest of the books, The Malorian, Diamond throne etc.

I laboured over The cronicals of Thomas Covernent.. (sorry my spelling sucks) Man i HATED reading it but finished all 10 books??. Great writer but i hated the lead character, he was such a tool!

I read a few one off books, most were sucky.. Then got hold of the Riftwar saga, they were great books, I was going to model my first thief on Jimmy the Hand. Prince of the blood was one of my favs tho, hahah I wanna live in that palace!! *roar* *grin*

Once I got hold of mogr's R.A. Salvatore books i ripped into them, read 9 books in 23 days... I couldn't mud...

Now all i read is computer/internet magazines for business ideas and computer part knowledge..

Some day i will write my own trilogy!!

------------------
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Protector of Clan Prowlingwolf
Averyn
Sojourner

Postby Averyn » Sun Mar 25, 2001 11:41 pm

Just like to mention about two Dragonlance books I highly recommend. I'm not a big fan of the Dragonlance series because, like some of you said, it's too close knit. Most of the books focus on the same ppl, but there are some nice open-ended books. The two stories that 1) brought a tear to my eyes, 2) left me wanting more, where The Legend of Huma and The Dragons... Image Must read, go get em now! You won't be disappointed! I'll even throw in this cheese slicer if you call within the next hour! for free! Image

AD
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Mon Mar 26, 2001 1:25 am

Oh. This game is based off books? cool.
Averyn
Sojourner

Postby Averyn » Mon Mar 26, 2001 1:52 am

this game is based off the dungeons and dragons forgotten realms campaign set (tabletop dnd)... the books are based on that too!
Vazzgo
Sojourner

Postby Vazzgo » Mon Mar 26, 2001 4:39 am

This thread is great, im writting names to order some books on the internet since it's too expensive to get them from where i live. It's funny that i only own 3 FR books and they are 2 from Cunninghan (elfsong & elfshadow) and 1 of Salvatore (Spine of thw world) and i only took them by guessing and they are great Image

Lord of the rings books are also a great and more if you are expecting the movie around december wich if you already saw the trailer it's going to rock
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Mar 26, 2001 7:02 am

I thought cormyr novels were quite good personally. Agree with most of the stuff here and would like to say that "once around the realms" is utter garbage.
Thengil
Sojourner

Postby Thengil » Mon Mar 26, 2001 9:17 am

The BEST new fantasy series I've read in a long time starts with "A Game of Thrones". The author is George RR Martin and these books are awesome! Other books I recommend are the Assassin saga by Robin Hobb, (she also did a saga called The Liveship Traders which is really good especially if you like dragons) and of course books by Orson Scott Card (except his Alvin books which I frankly detest).
Sadric
Sojourner

Postby Sadric » Mon Mar 26, 2001 12:46 pm

for some great heroic action books with flat out unbeatable characters, read david gemmell's books. the drenai saga (particularly the three Druss books), the waylander series, and the new rigante saga.

Sadric
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Mon Mar 26, 2001 1:08 pm

I've read a good many FR books. I love all of Salvatore's FR books, Most of Cunninghams, and a few of Greenwoods. Of all the books I read, I think I like the Clerical Quintet the most. I don't like any of Salvatore's non FR books though, I just can't get hooked. I'll tell you though, my favorite books of all time were a trilogy called the Iron Tower Trilogy. I can't find the books or remember the author. Anyone ever read them? I also recommend Terry Brooks and his Shannara books, most excellent.

Galkar
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Mon Mar 26, 2001 2:27 pm

Any books with Cyric in them are good...the rest are trash.

Cyric
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Mon Mar 26, 2001 7:40 pm

So the Avatar trilogy is about what happened in the Time of Troubles? I think I was reading the first one in the series, but I'm not sure.

For everyone else out there that likes fantasy fiction and hasn't read The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, do yourself a favor and go buy all 3 books at once. Those are some of the best books I've ever read that based in a fantasy realm.

Sel
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Mar 26, 2001 9:34 pm

Spellfire is my faovirite FR book.

Cute girl, deadly magic, dracoliches, Harpers....what more can you want from an FR book?

-- Shevy
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Tue Mar 27, 2001 2:03 am

Well I could add what I want to the list shev, and it would be politics. That might sound weird, but it's different from the group of adventurers go abounding and run into trouble scene. Are there any good books like this in FR? I've read Evermeet, which is like this, and I'm starting to read Cormyr. Has anyone read cormyr and can give me some feedback on it?

Thanks
Sel
ashain
Sojourner

Postby ashain » Tue Mar 27, 2001 2:26 am

All these people and only one mention of spellfire? That and crown of fire, both ot those were awsome books from Ed Greenwood.
I'm also surprised no one has mentioned Terry Goodkind and the Sword of Truth series. It's up to like 6 books I think these days and is a great series.
Also highly recommended is the Enders Game series, more sci-fi than fantasy but a great one all the same especially since they're gonna make a movie out of it.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Mar 27, 2001 2:36 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ashain:
<B>All these people and only one mention of spellfire? That and crown of fire, both ot those were awsome books from Ed Greenwood.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Err... I mentioned both of those a while ago... heh. Guess no one reads my long rambling posts. Image
Averyn
Sojourner

Postby Averyn » Tue Mar 27, 2001 2:39 am

Shev wrote,
Spellfire is my faovirite FR book. Cute girl, deadly magic, dracoliches, Harpers....what more can you want from an FR book?

she needs a boyfriend that could fight. :]
ashain
Sojourner

Postby ashain » Tue Mar 27, 2001 2:45 am

Heh, you probably did Sarvis, you post was just about 2 pages long so I just kinda skimmed through it :P

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”