Sojourn3 and RP

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Fezbozz
Sojourner

Sojourn3 and RP

Postby Fezbozz » Mon Mar 26, 2001 5:15 pm

I have played this mud for about 5 years roughly and have seen some good roleplayers. Although for the most part I think its always been a hack and slash mud. I see a some posts metioning things like for RP value. I think RP value is crap since the majority of people don't roleplay anyway. I for one wish that wasn't so but it is. Posting stories on the board really isn't roleplaying neither are triggers. I always enjoyed the strictness of this mud and it seems that most of that is going out the window. Sorry just ranting a bit.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Mar 26, 2001 5:23 pm

I like that the rules are being relaxed a bit. I always felt the old-school rules were too confining.

That said, if you want role-playing, go play on a MUSH or MUX. If you want combat, play a mud. Sorry but that's what the combat engines are designed for. If you don't like it, don't play.

Some people choose to role-play. That's THEIR prerogative, and it usually encompasses TONS of brownie points with both the admins and the playerbase. If you do it, kudos to you, it's difficult, and you deserve a lot of credit. If you don't, so be it.

In other words, don't harp on people who RP, their opinion of Role-playing may differ from yours, and discouraging them from doing this is wrong. Look at the motives behind the feeling before saying 'this is crap' or 'that sucks'. It's not fair to people having their ideas condemned because people are too short sighted to realize that life and people change day to day, and people are unique.

Sorry, Fez, I have nothing against you, so I hope you don't get pissed and think this is a flame, but I'm really tired, in general(this post isn't that bad, so I apologize if it sounds gruff) of people harping or condemning others because they don't view the world the same way. It's always been that way, and always will.. Just learn to deal with it. If you have issues with the way the mud is being governed, make a post citing instances where your likes and dislikes come into play, valid points always go over well with people, and well thought out suggestions or ideas are always looked at the most. Don't jumble 2 gripes in the same post, you confuse people with simple minds like myself. Image

Mal - Not trying to be offensive, just very outspoken.

------------------
Mal

PS - As always, opinions contained are my own, and are not intended to offend or upset anyone, but are merely outspoken thoughts from myself. If you have issues with them, bring em up, but keep flaming to emails.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Mar 26, 2001 5:23 pm

When I zone, quest, exp, I don't RP.

I will sit at the TP for an hour and RP with goodies who pass by though Image Or I'd be sitting in BG pretending to be a real troll, hissing at goodies and growling monosylabic sentences at them if they talk back. Other times I'd RP my pet rock.

I'd RP when it was ok to, just not when people are depending on you or things are too serious to play around (zones,xp and quests).

I'll rp with playthings (read: food) anytime tho!
Elscint
Sojourner

Postby Elscint » Mon Mar 26, 2001 5:32 pm

On the subject of role-play.

Sojourn/Toril/Sojourn2/and I'm sure Sojourn3 though having it's few actual true role-players who act within their character almost 100% of the time (Haemos is the ONLY one who comes to mind) is for the most part a hack-n-slash mud. If you seek 100% role-play and realism I would honestly suggest you look into the mud called Armageddon. It's extremely difficult and I wouldn't even consider playing there unless you read over their very complete website first. To play there can be very rewarding, but it's extremely difficult as well. I for one will not play there cause I do not wish to role-play 100% of the time. I'll role-play when it suits my mood or if I feel a situation truely demands it, otherwise I'll smite mightily with my blue twinkie purple poka-dot power poker of doom. It's all a matter of preferance. But to be completely honest if you seek 100% role-play you will probably not be satisfied with a good portion of the player base of Sojourn3 and I don't believe that the immortals want 100% role-play and realism, they seem to seek to create a fun gaming environment for the player base they do have and that's the way they want to do it. So more power to them I hope they keep their players and I hope they gain more like minded souls along the way, I know I'll be there and so will many that I would call friends.

Elscint Hairytoes (The Halfling Sorcerer)
Luke
Fezbozz
Sojourner

Postby Fezbozz » Mon Mar 26, 2001 5:43 pm

Well Malacar everytime I post you have something to say. I know its not an RP mud that was the point people saying this should be put in because of RP I don't feel is a valid reason. When I first started playing here a lot more people roleplayed even the review on the mudconnecter said one of the strong points about the mud was its RP. I don't really even RP but seeing an anti grouped with a paladin is just wierd. I liked how strict naming your characters was. I know it takes a lot of effort by the admins so I can live with it but I don't have to like it. If I was into strict rp I would play somewhere else.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Mar 26, 2001 5:54 pm

Fez, my taking the time to respond to your posts isn't an insult, bro.. I like your posts, and find them to usually express thoughts in a way that doesn't offend. Which is to say, the way things should(in my opinion) be. Image

Given that, I agree that RP standpoints, at this point, are kind of a weak basis. I've made many many points defending my views based on those precepts, and they are definitely flimsy, so you've got a good angle there(much as I hate to admit that my ideas have no basis, hehe). I think that, because the excuses of RP are so prolific on these boards, that a lot of people are trying to hold onto traditional ideas and concepts, and aren't readily willing to give up on them. Not to say they/I are correct, but it might help to give a little insight on my/their thoughts. Image

Oh, and your point on the Anti/Paladin grouping is dead on in my mind, also. There's something fundamentally wrong with it. If outcasting is totally out of the game, which it sounds like it is, then one of these classes should be removed entirely, or Anti's should be moved over to the evil race side, or some form of happy medium.

Sorry if it seems like I'm picking on you Fez... I'm not. Image Honest. Image

------------------
Mal

PS - As always, opinions contained are my own, and are not intended to offend or upset anyone, but are merely outspoken thoughts from myself. If you have issues with them, bring em up, but keep flaming to emails.

[This message has been edited by Malacar (edited 03-26-2001).]
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Mar 26, 2001 5:57 pm

Goodies can have antis, it's not that big a deal. Evils don't suddenly 'need' something to counter goodies getting antis and liches. Contrary to some other people, we don't all hate the other side and whine about what they get and we don't. Have fun with them, I hope you enjoy playing them and find a place in groups. Each side gets different things, which makes this place fun.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Mar 26, 2001 6:28 pm

Cherzra, I don't think you read that correctly. His point was simply that Paladins and Anti-Paladins in the same group is wrong. They are dedicated to eradicating each other, and in any game I have ever run, no one side(Pal or AP) would degrade themselves to working with the other, and would sooner die. It's not merely alignment wise, but ethos dictated.

I don't think it matters WHICH side has Anti's to be honest. I think that the point they are allowed by the rules to group together needs to be looked at.

------------------
Mal

Brugg
Sojourner

Postby Brugg » Mon Mar 26, 2001 8:52 pm

Man that Cherzra sure is argumenative :-)
Cazin
Sojourner

Postby Cazin » Tue Mar 27, 2001 1:10 am

bleh sojourn isnt even really about role play, its mostly about logging on and seeing which of ur friends are on so u can go group with them and have fun talking and nuking things into many peices.
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Tue Mar 27, 2001 3:17 am

How many muds have you played where RP was an option, and not an ENFORCED method of play?

This is just another reason why Miax and Crew's creation will always be ahead of the pack...hell i even got buds from everquest lined up to play. You can kill shit when you want to, you can get stuff when you want to, you can rp if you want to..the choice is entirely up to you.

Let's face it.i've seen folks try to rp...and it makes me feel emberassed for them! i've seen horribly written stories and when i look back at them now the ones i wrote about my assassin narial weren't all that great, either. Here are some instances of what happens on a FORCED RP mud based on DIKU/CIRCLEMUD code...

1) it takes you 30 seconds from the time you type 'wear breastplate' till you actually put it on cause it's 'realistic and rp'

2) you can die of hunger and thirst in a matter of minutes because it's 'realistic and rp'

3) your character must use a restroom regularly and if you dont you can piss yerself, rusting your armor and lowering your CHA because it's 'realistic and rp'

yet all of the above instances are implemented on muds that require you to kill shit fer exp, levels and loot!

'Nuff Said!
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Tue Mar 27, 2001 3:39 am

I roleplay a lot, primarily as Jasix my barbarian, his personality is very important to me, is the soul of my mudding. I do not ever wear the (RP) tag tho, as is so easy to slip out of charcter at any given time. Jasix personality is very complex, the greatest of lovers, the most arrogant and self rightous to those that treaten him and his friends. Am i really that arrogant irl? hell no, well unless i wanna shit stir someone.

Something that must be said, I do not hate the evils, even tho I Roleplay my hatred for them, some of the evils are my closest friends, some i love very dearly. Last time around a lot fo the higher up evils were good mates of mine and we roleplayed and talked in tells. But some of the lesser shall we call them 'toadies' didn't understand and took it a bit personal and not really carried on in a roleplayng fashion, thinking in their bravado that they were 'tough' haha but only to look like gooses to their leaders.

So if your out and about on the mud and you come across someoen from 'the other side' just remember they are probably just roleplaying their charcter, no need to be spiteful and act like an asshole. Tho i am sure i have been guilty of it myself..

One dickbrain troll that comes to mind (name withheld) used to go about and assist paladins, he said he was just roleplaying... trying to have a goodie outcast or worse have to change classes is NOT roleplayng that's being a ****ing jerk!!

Pushing, shoving, even spitting is rolepaying a troll using the queens english to taunt a paladin is NOT roleplaying, a grunt yes, but trolls that carry on like that ate a dictoinary are just not getting it..

Ok carry on, and let the fun begin!

Jasix sneers at Jegzed and contemplates shortening him a few inches above the neck.

------------------
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Protector of Clan Prowlingwolf
Fezbozz
Sojourner

Postby Fezbozz » Tue Mar 27, 2001 5:29 am

Ok I am home from work and have thought about somethings. One thing is that I don't want people to think that I meant writing stories is bad its not. Stories and even triggers enhance roleplaying. I don't want there to be forced RP because this mud is to good to be that narrow in scope. I just feel that maybe some things should be added to the game to enhance it for those of us who would like to RP more. How about a working gambling hall to lose our money to (odds favor the house of course). Dunno to me it seems like if you take away RP why not let trolls group with humans to. I really don't see the point of the good and evil sides really without RP. I know not everyone wants to RP especially all the time and thats fine to. During eq runs there are more important things to be worried about then rp. I just don't want sojourn to lose the atmosphere it has always had
Saraish Aderilix
Sojourner

Postby Saraish Aderilix » Tue Mar 27, 2001 10:23 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jasix Prowlingwolf:
<B>Am i really that arrogant irl? hell no, well unless i wanna shit stir someone.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe... sure you are Jasix. Especially when you're reaching into the depths of your ass to get the black ball in at least one of the bloody holes on the table... :P

It's all well and good to roleplay, but as many have said already, some situations it just isn't feasible Image Heh, I prefer to be an aussie sometimes... it makes running with my little group of freaks... er mates more fun Image

Yibbida yibbida...
Thats all folks!

--Rex Hunt... aka Saraish.
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Tue Mar 27, 2001 12:17 pm

*chuckle*

Ahh ok i'm a cocky bastard when i'm winning :P

Your shout I think Saraish Image
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Tue Mar 27, 2001 5:58 pm

ROFL

I remember being a baby trollie YEARS ago ...dunno if Targsk remembers this or not .. but we had mad fun meetin up with goodies on our way back to HP... whats the worst fear a goodie that doesnt wanna be OC can see??

Kusch Troll Shaman reclines here.\

Kusch starts following you.

talk about PANIC .. rofl .. it was most fun with rangers and paladins tho .. ehehehe
and all it was ..was an emote

emote starts following you.

giggle

-Jenlia
Saraish Aderilix
Sojourner

Postby Saraish Aderilix » Wed Mar 28, 2001 3:04 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jasix Prowlingwolf:
<B>*chuckle*

Ahh ok i'm a cocky bastard when i'm winning :P

Your shout I think Saraish Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gah I think its something heriditary. When both my old man and me get drunk, we always seem to lose a lot of money on shouts... and my mates seem to take advantage of it by making me buy them drinks and do crazy things Image

Makes life interesting, and stories abound Image

--Dan
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Wed Mar 28, 2001 3:08 am

dont need to prove it to me, swishy! i seen the pictures you sent me! when you die your liver will be about the size of a pea hehe

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”