Twinkies

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
namatoki
Sojourner

Twinkies

Postby namatoki » Wed Mar 28, 2001 2:06 pm

This morning I was eating a Twinkie for breakfast when I started wondering where in the heck did someone come up for calling someone a twinkie for twinking. Since when did our beloved golden, cream-filled sponge cakes come to mean someone who exploits, abuses, etc.?

BTW, anyone try the banana Twinkies yet? Pretty tasty...

Nizrath
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Mar 28, 2001 2:16 pm

I'm no twink. I'm a pop tart. Slime flavored.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Mar 28, 2001 2:28 pm

I believe, if I am not mistaken, that 'twinking' comes from a very simple place...

T.W. Incorporated. Over the years, the name has just become synonymous with lower cretins wearing and doing things they should not be able to do... Like that rich guy down the road, who has a cheauffer, and you drive by his kid in the morning on the way to work, and the little punk is wearing one of those faggy 'no-top sunvisors'. He looks over at you, and sneers, thinking himself superior, because he got handmedowns from daddy... It's then that you envision leaping out of your precious camaro, denting his skull with a large wrench, and detonating his body with large amounts of C-4...

Of course then you come to, and realize that twinking isn't that bad. And this kid probably has no friends unless he spends cash on them. You feel pity... Wait, nah, you don't. Image

In all seriousness... I remember when they were called 'munchkins', not twinks. I was a little bewildered at the origin of this myself from time to time, but willing to believe that it derives from the fact that a lowly 'twinkie' can have such an awesome taste/filling, and is so cheap, has virtually no advertising, and hasn't killed tiamat.

Ok, ok... I really have no idea. ;p

------------------
Mal

PS - As always, opinions contained are my own, and are not intended to offend or upset anyone, but are merely outspoken thoughts from myself. If you have issues with them, bring em up, but keep flaming to emails.
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Wed Mar 28, 2001 2:48 pm

ROFL, Mal!!!
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Wed Mar 28, 2001 4:54 pm

Mal, You amaze me... I wanna be you when I grow up Image

I got kind of curious, so I wondered how good ol Webster, et al. defines "twink". Here's what I found... I shit you not...

twink \Twink\, v. i. [OE. twinken.] 1. To twinkle. 2. Derive from gay slang for a cute young thing with nothing upstairs. 3. A clue-repellant user; the next step beyond a clueless one. A "read-only" user. 4. (Slang) slim, smooth, blond young

I think "read-only" / clueless sums it up. Image

Tay
Tovar
Sojourner

Postby Tovar » Wed Mar 28, 2001 7:18 pm

Tayro,

What f***ing dictionary do you own??? *rofl*

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 28, 2001 7:29 pm

Oh yeah? Well how many of you knew choad is an Indian word for f*ck?

choad /chohd/ n. Synonym for `penis' used in alt.tasteless and popularized by the denizens thereof. They say: "We think maybe it's from Middle English but we're all too damned lazy to check the OED." [I'm not. It isn't. --ESR] This term is alleged to have been inherited through 1960s underground comics, and to have been recently sighted in the Beavis and Butthead cartoons. Speakers of the Hindi, Bengali and Gujarati languages have confirmed that `choad' is in fact an Indian vernacular word equivalent to `f*ck'; it is therefore likely to have entered English slang via the British Raj.

--D2, Code Choad (I did. And yes, that makes me a Code F*cker.)
Zuurn Shatter Skull
Sojourner

Postby Zuurn Shatter Skull » Wed Mar 28, 2001 8:42 pm

LOL

------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Zuurn Shatter Skull (Troll)(RP) stands here.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:28 pm

That settles it. I'm making a gnome enchanter called Twinky.
Brugg
Sojourner

Postby Brugg » Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:46 pm

I always thought that the term "twink" was derived from the action's that they do to the mud. They were called twinks because they twinked certian aspects of the game. Granted over the years the meaning for this term has broadened.
Gene Quagmire
Sojourner

Postby Gene Quagmire » Thu Mar 29, 2001 3:45 am

As someone relatively close to the gay community, a twink is most deifinitely a hairless young stud. In opposition to say, bear. That is all. >:P

------------------
The Mangler.
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Mar 29, 2001 6:13 am

Can you believe it? I actually heard the term "twinkie" used today by a non-mudder. Was at work, getting my stuff together to go to my site. We were having a discussion on sites and the asst. manger told me not to bitch about the site that I was going to. Told her that I liked that site and she replied "OH, that's because you have a little twinkie there." BTW, must have been my GF that she was talking about.
That qualify as a definition of twink. . .or twinkie, etc.?
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Thu Mar 29, 2001 6:30 am

Twinkies are the favorite snack of munchkins.

How do you spot a munchkin at a gaming con? He's playing Living City.

How do you spot a sojourn twink? He lives in the Grey Cloak Hills.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Mar 29, 2001 3:14 pm

On the EQ server Tunare, twink is defined as a player who has equipment that's far superior to those just starting out at that level.
Example: If you gave a level 1 two lamentations, full suit of um good stuff and a CoF they'd be called a twink.
Elscint
Sojourner

Postby Elscint » Thu Mar 29, 2001 3:22 pm

After reading through these posts and the various definitions of 'twink' I think I've figgered it out!
'Twink' is used much the same way that the smurfs use the word 'Smurfy' only 'twink' is negative and 'smurfy' was positive! So if something is 'twinky' it's most definately not good but it could be any number of specific things.. or nothing specific at all...
Well that's just what I've come up with on the subject... hope the rest of your day is smurfy...

Elscint Hairytoes (The Halfling Sorcerer)
Luke
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Thu Mar 29, 2001 8:59 pm

hehe... be careful who you say "have a twinkiw day" to... wasn't there a killing spree because of those delectable sponge puffs? Image

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”