Roller.....

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
cherzra
Sojourner

Roller.....

Postby cherzra » Fri Mar 30, 2001 12:52 pm

It seems to only output HORRIBLE stats.

I remember it being changed a long time ago, warriors would automatically roll at least 75 str and con for example, while mages got 75 int and wis, etc.

It's changed back to the old way again, where you just get random stuff... now this wouldn't be so bad, except that I NEVER EVER EVER see a mighty, heroic or perfect. Not even in my primary stats, str and con. And I've been rolling for half an hour now.

What's the idea behind this?
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Mar 30, 2001 12:54 pm

Oh, and the average roll I seem to get is 'mundane'. Yay... Maybe the hard-coded limit of all your atts averaged not possibly being higher than 75 should be removed, since the way the roller is set up now pretty much auto-excludes this Image
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Fri Mar 30, 2001 1:00 pm

When rolling last night, I got these rolls:

Your basic stats:
Strength: mundane Power: mundane
Dexterity: perfectIntelligence: fair
Agility: fair Wisdom: mundane
Constitution: average Charisma: average

Your basic stats:
Strength: average Power: mundane
Dexterity: good Intelligence: perfect
Agility: average Wisdom: mundane
Constitution: bad Charisma: mundane

Your basic stats:
Strength: average Power: mundane
Dexterity: perfectIntelligence: mighty
Agility: average Wisdom: good
Constitution: bad Charisma: mundane

And finally:
Accepting these stats.
Your basic stats:
Strength: good Power: mundane
Dexterity: good Intelligence: fair
Agility: good Wisdom: mundane
Constitution: good Charisma: mundane

-Nokie Quickfingers!
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Fri Mar 30, 2001 1:03 pm

When the roller was showing numbers, I added up the numbers for 11 rolls and the totals ranged from 523 to 589 with an average of 545:

That was with about 25 trials IIRC

Nokie Quickfingers!
Thorgil
Sojourner

Postby Thorgil » Fri Mar 30, 2001 1:09 pm

Yea a minimum in certain basic stats for the appropriate class would be good. No half decent warrior is going to accept mundane str/dex/agi/con anyways, so all the roller is doing is wasting valuable time. Image
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Fri Mar 30, 2001 2:07 pm

Roller seems fine to me, just takes a little patience
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Mar 30, 2001 2:35 pm

A little patience? Hm. I'm using an autoroller so I'm rolling fast and I have been rolling for TWO hours now (thank god I'm cooking). Know what I want to get? The following SIMPLE stats:

str: good or better agi: good or better
dex: fair or better con: good or better
rest of the stats: doesn't matter.

Doesn't seen to much to ask does it? Especially since this was the default starting stats for every warrior the last wipe.
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Fri Mar 30, 2001 2:53 pm

Cherz..are you using the roller thats posted in these forums?

A
Zuurn Shatter Skull
Sojourner

Postby Zuurn Shatter Skull » Fri Mar 30, 2001 4:12 pm

My troll has 2 perfects and a mighty or something like that....hmph Image

------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Zuurn Shatter Skull (Troll)(RP) stands here.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Mar 30, 2001 4:15 pm

Never mind I got 4 goods at last. Took me over 2 RL hours though.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Mar 30, 2001 5:27 pm

The roller is a little harsh, I think. Those people who got good rolls in under half an hour, you're lucky Image Rangers, Paladins, and Antis have 5 applicable stats, and I gave up trying to get them all fair or better after half an hour. I settled for 2 goods, 2 averages, and a mundane in all the right spots because I couldn't get any better and I wanted to chat Image

- Ragorn
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Sun Apr 01, 2001 2:20 pm

This is the way I see it: as long as it is POSSIBLE to nail some exceptional stats, then a long rolling period is actually cool. Make folks work for hard-core stats. And, to control "auto-rollers" (which as they work now is unfair to folks who don't have them), put a sleep period of 2 seconds between rolls, as well as be forced to relog in every 1000 rolls (or so), stopping folks from just going to a movie while their auto-roller rolls. Now, you all might be saying "shutup santego!", but under these conditions the admins could allow a 1/1000 chance for a Titan of a player to be rolled, and the other 999 times out of 1000 people would get the average pool of stats. Folks would really really tire of hunting for a Titan, but those hard core folks who honestly go for it might get one, and it would be fair too cuz they rolled for 8 hours. Oh, and of course rollers would still work, but they wouldn't bog down the mud by shooting through 500 rolls in 30 seconds. It would take, for example, 1000 seconds.
Vylare
Sojourner

Postby Vylare » Sun Apr 01, 2001 2:48 pm

Um, ok I'll bite. How in the heck is sitting there staring at the screen for hours while rolling "working"? What kind of skill does it take - can I get paid for it? Heh. Why would this be something any game designer would WANT?
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun Apr 01, 2001 2:52 pm

Have you ever used an autoroller? If you did, you would see that it is a far cry from giving you 500 rolls in 30 seconds. In fact, it goes just as fast as by hand. The only difference is you don't have to sit there for an hour yourself hitting 'enter' every 2 seconds, yawn boring. I don't see anything wrong with autorollers. If you want one, write one. If you can't, tough luck - roll by hand instead. And no, I'm not sharing it. I spent two hours writing one, I should have the luxury of using it.
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Sun Apr 01, 2001 3:03 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
Have you ever used an autoroller? </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Heh, yep I've used them. I've written them Image I'm planning on writing a new one in TCL that is highly versatile, all the way up to giving me my name, and choosing alts if the gods get mad. The testing phase is going to be kinda touchy...logging in over and over, etc. Hmm.... Anyway, I know rollers don't do 500 in 30 seconds, that was a bad example.
Now, to address a previous comment, sitting there for 8 hours when I could be doing something else seems like work to me. I'm giving up my time to do something. Sure, there's no skill, but there never was any skill to rolling. The system as it stands guarentees you'll never get a titan, no matter how long you roll. I'd just like to reward folks for taking the time to try for one.
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Sun Apr 01, 2001 3:41 pm

*rofl* 2 hours for alpha testing rolling?

And for a troll warrior no less....

Man i thought i was twinky taking 40 mins when rolling characters for real...

Yes stats do matter a lot but well hahaah wait til beta starts before waiting so much time...

It doesn't take much to run a trigger with zmud to reroll stats that not cut it.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun Apr 01, 2001 3:51 pm

I didn't want much, I just wanted good or fair for primary stats. Guess I just got unlucky that it took me 2 hours for even that.
Vylare
Sojourner

Postby Vylare » Sun Apr 01, 2001 8:53 pm

Santego,
Personally, I think character creation should be quick, easy and designed to get folks into the game (and hooked) as soon as possible. I think rolling a character for 8 hours is ludicrous, myself. Some of us have to work, have families, etc and can't do that. I'd favor a character creation system that didn't permit it *shrug*.
Sadric
Sojourner

Postby Sadric » Mon Apr 02, 2001 7:54 am

kinda weird..I was getting amazing stats (almost every roll too) on illithids. two or three mighties, two heroics, the rest average or fair, and this was on two different squids.
then I try human and gray elf and I spend an hour each never getting above good more than once or twice :/ and this was for rangers no less. I was somewhat surprised at how often I saw BAD agility for the grays.

Sadric
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Apr 02, 2001 9:11 am

Funny I had the same thing whilst rolling a barbarian the other day, pretty neat stats in just 3 mins of rolling Image
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Mon Apr 02, 2001 2:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
Funny I had the same thing whilst rolling a barbarian the other day, pretty neat stats in just 3 mins of rolling Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, I rolled for years to get decent stats for my human, then took like 10 rolls and nailed a MONSTER of a duergar. Hey, that's cool....
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Apr 02, 2001 4:13 pm

I wasn't whining, what you're saying is exactly the point of my post too Image Everyone can get good stats, be it halflings, elves, ogres or barbs - the roller isn't biased towards races (I hope Image).
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Mon Apr 02, 2001 4:50 pm

I'll call my good buddy Jesse Jackson if it is! Something else for him to stick his nose into!

Lyt
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Mon Apr 02, 2001 6:08 pm

Well Cherza, there is an autoroller on the zmud triggers/help area of the bbs(atleast someone was kind enough to share with us who suck at zmud triggers/aliases Image.. works quite well.. unfornutely i had the same problem.. I haven't managed to get atleast goods in str/agi/con (trying grey elf invoker.. can't remember if agi matters as much here as it does on duris though).. using an autoroller even its a pain.. id rather get in the game instead of worrying about getting stats so ppl don't say, your mem times suck, get out of the group, and your hps are too low, you'll get killed.. etc...
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Tue Apr 03, 2001 3:08 am

Lyt brings jesse jackson into it again.. rofl.. had to come up eventually :P *wink*

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”