Feedback

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Thorgil
Sojourner

Feedback

Postby Thorgil » Fri Mar 30, 2001 6:45 am

Thanks for opening the MUD again!
I have only two things to comment on:
1. Rolling good stats was insanely difficult
2. Exp seemed very very slow. I dont want to know what its' like at mid-high levels.
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Mar 30, 2001 6:49 am

My exp seemed to be going pretty well, I thought. I was grouped with one person, was only level one, but twenty minutes in I had half a level (according to the oh so controversial exp bar).

Mebbe I just rock. . . hrm Prolly not though.

Vigis Wolverinefang
Saraish Aderilix
Sojourner

Postby Saraish Aderilix » Fri Mar 30, 2001 7:01 am

Agree with you on the stats thing Thorgil. I didn't put a hell of a lot of effort into making my stats fantastic, but I spent about 10 minutes rolling them. I think I saw two 'heroics' the whole time. I like it - because it means you really DO have to sacrifice some stats, and you can see what you are sacrificing from the beginning. Hehe, the word mundane just seemed to turn me off, but hey you get that Image

All in all, from the 30 mins or so that I glimpsed during work from telnet, I liked what I saw!!

Thanks for giving me a reason to do badly at uni :P

--Dan
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Fri Mar 30, 2001 7:05 am

Exp seemed harsh to me, but I liked it..

It was really noticable with the differences in AC on our tank, and when he got the tank skills at level 5 he rocked.

/Jegzed
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Mar 30, 2001 8:42 am

XP is going to suck turd...

I'm used to getting lvl 20 in 2 hours, lvl 30 the next day, 35 the next, and 50 in a week Image
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri Mar 30, 2001 9:23 am

I'm loving every minute of it. Gained a few levels, hunted down a criminal ranger, turned him in for 50 platinum. Outfitted myself in new gear, bought some lock picks and other basic items. Now I'm set at 28 AC and ready to rock.

Yayaril
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Fri Mar 30, 2001 10:24 am

How did you find out about the criminal ranger?
Is it a quest?

Nokie Quickfingers!
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Fri Mar 30, 2001 12:10 pm

LOL Cherz.

The modifiers (i.e. attributes) that affect skills (i.e. meditate) being outta whack makes it difficult to test squids (and invoker/enchanters i'm sure). One mana every couple seconds is harsh. I know it's identified and being worked. Squid damage seems to be up a bit, hopefully not a result of the whacky attributes.

Exp: Squids..harsh as expected. Trolls bearable.

COMBAT CODE: I got a two handed weapon to replace my one handed. It did not change my hit/dam, but i was killing things in 1-2 hits..vs two runs on the mob with the one hander. NICE.

Very happy with what I've seen thus far..a truly REMARKABLE job, thanks to all.

Since I'm now busting hump to complete my zone, are there any testers that played a shaman and tested the new spells that wouldn't mind if i sent some questions to them since I won't have time to level before beta starts (and test the spells myself)?

Cheers.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Fri Mar 30, 2001 2:06 pm

My take is...

1) EXP needs tweaking, especially for support classes. A warrior and myself, just us two, he's doubling and then some my exp as an enchanter.

2) Rolling stats sucked, but was tolerable. You only have to do it once. I got what I wanted as a chanter.. Perfect intelligence and mighty con. Image

3) Mobs heal way too fast at low levels with the new code. Sorry, but a mob going from awful to small wounds in 3 rounds?

4) NOT TRYING TO START AN ARGUEMENT. Evils leveled really fast compared to the rest last night... Not implying anything other than the exp zones they have access to might want to be looked at and compared to the ones for the rest of the mud.

------------------
Mal

PS - As always, opinions contained are my own, and are not intended to offend or upset anyone, but are merely outspoken thoughts from myself. If you have issues with them, bring em up, but keep flaming to emails.
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Fri Mar 30, 2001 2:15 pm

um, the evils that leveled fast had their shit together and knew the exp runs and what to do. There were 3x that many that arent leveling fast. Maybe they are just lucky with exp mobs in abundance, knew the pop times, and had a routine. Jegzed also knows every nook and cranny in DK and the surrounding area. Isn't there a picture of him in one of the buildings there? Image

GOOD POINT on the mob regen. hella fast. I want that regen for trolls. Thinking back on last night I believe fought a mob, fled, came back and looked he was excellent, but when i started fighting again he was actually at awful..can't remember now..too tired. But you're right..mob regen is fast.

cheers.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Fri Mar 30, 2001 3:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malacar:
<B>4) NOT TRYING TO START AN ARGUEMENT. Evils leveled really fast compared to the rest last night... Not implying anything other than the exp zones they have access to might want to be looked at and compared to the ones for the rest of the mud.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's called grouping. a fe level 1's can kill a level 3 mob.. an army of level 1's can kill a level 5 mob much faster..

We used mass armies of drows to swarm the mobs in the area.

I talked to quite a few goodies last night, and I heard you actually competed for exp?

/Jegzed
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Mar 30, 2001 4:00 pm

Nah... not us cool ranger types. We got together and hit level 4 before most other players were at vl 2! *cackle* hehe... Course... there did look to be a lot of people competing for fuzzy bunnies and such when we wre on our way to bigger and better things.

Mob healing is faster than it used to be. I used to be able to solo shady youths at lvl 1 within 3 runs, I had one to quite a few wounds... fled, drank some holy water and walked back in and he was back at excellent. bleh.

Still had a good time tho. Image Overslept for work this morning too... heh. Image
Zuurn Shatter Skull
Sojourner

Postby Zuurn Shatter Skull » Fri Mar 30, 2001 4:11 pm

EXP seemed to go really slow for me too.....hrmmm oh well, i still love it

Cant seem to connect atm though, *sigh*

------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Zuurn Shatter Skull (Troll)(RP) stands here.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Fri Mar 30, 2001 4:21 pm

It appears that mobs are automatically healing to full as soon as they are disengaged. It may be hard to tell right now with level 1 mobs since they have so few hp's, perhaps there is a minimum number of hps that get regened once the mob is not in combat anymore, but fleeing out and immediately returning when a child is at afwul wounds only to find them at excellent is discouraging.

Perhaps one of the privelaged testers could check this out on one of the hier level mobs to see what the story is with them regenerating fast?

-Nokie Quickfingers!
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Fri Mar 30, 2001 4:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malacar:
<B>My take is...
1) EXP needs tweaking, especially for support classes. A warrior and myself, just us two, he's doubling and then some my exp as an enchanter.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same feeling here, I was with the top two rangers, Kwirl and Sarvis, and they seemed to basically be doubling my exp rate.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Mar 30, 2001 5:11 pm

It seems that rescue lags you much more now. When it fails I mean.. it seems to take much longer to be able to try to rescue again than it did previously.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri Mar 30, 2001 5:53 pm

The mobs don't heal to full when disengaged, but they do seem to heal faster when not in a fight. I was able to take a few wargs out for some collars, by fleeing and re-entering, and on several of those times, the warg had healed several ranks of health.

Nokie, the quest that yields 50 platinum for turning in a criminal ranger is the justice system. Head over to the judge, type in 'list' and find out who is wanted. Then grab a rope and track them down.

I figured this new incarnation of Sojourn needs a new mindset. So, in honor of its irony, I'll only hunt down rangers and paladins who break the law. I thought you were good law-abiding citizens? Tsk tsk.

Yayaril
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Fri Mar 30, 2001 5:54 pm

Do moves seem to be regenerating alot slower to anyone? ugh must rest...

izarek
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Fri Mar 30, 2001 8:06 pm

keep in mind most of us havent used this gamestyle in over a year.

1) rolling stats - old toril it was a free for all..sojourn2 you couldnt roll below the minimums for that class. needs to go back to this. a warrior should not be rolling bads in str and con.

2) exp is determined by your damage a lot. rogues are levelling much faster than warriors when grouped, but much slower when solo. this works for me, i play both

3) i rolled a troll too. the lizards in ghore give more exp than the squirrels east of tp, and they drop cash. they hit pretty freakin hard too and it was hard to find a live one. :P got half a level in 15 minutes

my only gripe has been the roling stats, which is just like old toril where you had to roll the stats, THEN pick the class. the reason you picked your class first cause then the roller set it up so you couldnt roll lower than your class minimums shows in the help files, but there was also a limit as to how much all of your stats could add up to..so like you had 90+ str and con, but 40 int/wis or something like that

Jeff

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 30, 2001 9:36 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grintor:
my only gripe has been the roling stats, which is just like old toril where you had to roll the stats, THEN pick the class. the reason you picked your class first cause then the roller set it up so you couldnt roll lower than your class minimums shows in the help files</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The roller has not been changed over S2. You still pick your class first and then roll the stats, so the stats that you get are above the min for the class. The only things that have changed are the adjective descriptors and the addition of the name generator.

I suspect that alot of the abuse the roller may be taking is because some of you have gotten used to other muds that allow you to roll practically a 100 in every stat. Where's the fun in that? Image

--D2
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Mon Apr 02, 2001 10:00 am

Here's my fwee dollar fiffy.

#1 new roller rules!! same as it always was, just now it gives us a more defined idea of the true numerical value. If you rolled a char last time around with all goods you more then likely had mid 70s and needed a crap load of eq to max out your major stats. Jasix needed 20 str 19 con.. So much for rolling goods.. Gimme heroic or mighty anyday! At least we have a much better idea of the end result now.

#2 Exp always sucked for low lvl casters, a lvl 1 caster is weak and basicly useless. This is not a flame on casters just the honest truth.

I got to carried away with my thoughts on exp and stuffs i desided to post a new topic..
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Mon Apr 02, 2001 10:18 am

Here is what I have noticed so far:

1) Low level warrior mobs have extremeley high skill levels in things like SHIELDPUNCH and bash, etc. Killing in SS, the guards (lowest level green ANSI ones mind you) never really miss shieldbunches. They always shieldpunch the casters (which is fine with me as far as AI goes) but they always stun the caster. Shieldpunch does a minimum of 25 damage a pop, and 2 pops kills any caster under level 10 for the most part. Its lame when the casters all die during battle, while the tank can still be at excellent when the guard is dead.

2) Is it just me, or has the combat engine as a whole slowed down considerably over the last incarnation of Toril? It seems like the time between rounds of battle is a lot longer than it was before. Also, skills such as bash now seem to have an extra round of lag, whether you land the bash or not. Also, if you miss a bash/get bashed as a warrior tanking, it seems that you lose all of your tanking skills such as dodge, shieldblock etc. Don't know if this was intentional or not.

3) Regenerating hit points/moves is now REALLY slow, especially movement points. Slow regen on the hit points is one thing, but could you tweak the rate at which you regen moves? And as others said. Mobs regen at least 3 times as fast as me, and I am sleeping while they just stand there.

4) As people have said, rolling casters is a big pain in the butt. It seems that casters (mage class from my experience) need a minimum power of 75. That kind of hurts the ability to get decent stats in anything else. Please either make the power stat something that is essential for mages (which it isn't now) or get rid of the need to for a minimum power roll. As far as I know, power is something that is only used by squids right?

Well thats all for now. Please drive through.

Lyt/Vaaz
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Apr 02, 2001 10:34 am

Hmm, I've noticed a trend opposite of what you. It seems to me that hitpoints and movement points regenerate at a rather quick rate. Whereas I used to expect to be lagged two or possibly three rounds of combat by a backstab, it seems like I'm only being lagged one.

Yayaril
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Apr 02, 2001 12:35 pm

Are you playing the same game as us?

Even as a troll I find myself tapping my finger on the desk watching my hp regenerate at a really slow rate for minutes on end. I guess all the player classes/races got their hp and moves regen downed rather harshly.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Tue Apr 03, 2001 9:53 am

I finally had time to roll up my character last night, I can see the roller system really hasn't changed as far as point spread is concerned.

You still have peasants trying to go out and be heros.

How many of you kept getting angry seeing your Power score Heroic or better when you got some good rols on your main stats but new you would lose a lot of points to the useless power slot.

Also, the bonus addition is what?

Duris is a possible 2d8 more points, anyone know on sojourn...1d6 maybe? Image
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Apr 03, 2001 4:39 pm

The bonuses are a fixed amount. I can't give numbers, but it's more than you might think.

- Ragorn
Gorets
Sojourner

Postby Gorets » Thu Apr 05, 2001 4:01 pm

Bonuses: well Ragorn can keep this numbers to himself Image Cose task of getting exact amount of the (fixed) bonus takes 15 min, pen and paper. It is basically the same as some grade 4 or 5 thing: Lil boy Joe has 2 gallon and 5 gallon cans and if he fills 5 gallon ones with exact 3 gallon of water lil girl Cindy will do him... erm... I mean will give him a candy.
The only reason not to do so it cose it actually will not buy you anything - not a 4th bonus. :P

Exp: Well.... they promise that 15 wipe will be LAST one in mud life time so it is really doesn’t matter how slow exp goes.... you’ll be there. :P It is not duris with 6-month wipes... you’ll get your 50 relax. :P

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 06, 2001 12:11 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lyt:
Here is what I have noticed so far:

1) Low level warrior mobs have extremeley high skill levels in things like SHIELDPUNCH and bash, etc. Killing in SS, the guards (lowest level green ANSI ones mind you) never really miss shieldbunches. They always shieldpunch the casters (which is fine with me as far as AI goes) but they always stun the caster. Shieldpunch does a minimum of 25 damage a pop, and 2 pops kills any caster under level 10 for the most part. Its lame when the casters all die during battle, while the tank can still be at excellent when the guard is dead.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is interesting, we will look into it. I'll attach a knob to it this weekend and we'll discuss the prospect of turning it down a tad. We'll keep you posted via the News on the mud.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
2) Is it just me, or has the combat engine as a whole slowed down considerably over the last incarnation of Toril? It seems like the time between rounds of battle is a lot longer than it was before. Also, skills such as bash now seem to have an extra round of lag, whether you land the bash or not. Also, if you miss a bash/get bashed as a warrior tanking, it seems that you lose all of your tanking skills such as dodge, shieldblock etc. Don't know if this was intentional or not.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No combat has not changed, the tic rate on Sojourn has remained the same since the inception of Gond's Event system during Sojourn 1. What has noticably changed is the level of spam, which could easily be percieved as the mud slowing down if you think about it. With alot less battle spam, the screen scrolls by slower and you get more time to read whats there, so everything slows down. This is dileratle, we intentionally worked to reduce the amount of spam in battle, and give you more options on what you have to see. The speed was ridiculous on Sojourn 2, I could not see what was going on during large battles easily, and the entire concept of strategy went out the window. We'll continue to work towards giving players more communication options, allowing people to choose wether or not they see Cleric spell messages, mage spell messages, warrior skill messages, etc, and further allow people to reduce the spam.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
3) Regenerating hit points/moves is now REALLY slow, especially movement points. Slow regen on the hit points is one thing, but could you tweak the rate at which you regen moves? And as others said. Mobs regen at least 3 times as fast as me, and I am sleeping while they just stand there.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'll look into this, maybe put a knob on it.

4) As people have said, rolling casters is a big pain in the butt. It seems that casters (mage class from my experience) need a minimum power of 75. That kind of hurts the ability to get decent stats in anything else. Please either make the power stat something that is essential for mages (which it isn't now) or get rid of the need to for a minimum power roll. As far as I know, power is something that is only used by squids right?
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The roller has been significantly changed yesterday evening. Try rolling one now and tell re-evaluate.

Well thats all for now. Please drive through.

Lyt/Vaaz[/b]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

o_O

[This message has been edited by Miax (edited 04-05-2001).]
Ionari
Sojourner

Postby Ionari » Fri Apr 06, 2001 6:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>XP is going to suck turd...

I'm used to getting lvl 20 in 2 hours, lvl 30 the next day, 35 the next, and 50 in a week Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be silly. There will be no `bomb eq` for you to wear and use for a LONG LONG TIME. So don't expect to level to 50 in under 3 months.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Apr 06, 2001 7:40 pm

Don't reply if you don't know what someone is talking about. That post referred to what many of us have been playing the past year, Duris and Basternae.

Close but no cigar. Try another topic.
Gorets
Sojourner

Postby Gorets » Fri Apr 06, 2001 8:30 pm

Well i am elf for 6 years by now and i just found out that, if i should trust this message -

You complete your spell...
Lack of nature weakens your spell!
Your snake sinks its teeth deep into a kobold miner on his break's flesh.

there is a lack of nature almost everywhere in Faerie Forest on EM. I mean if this place (which is an elven island FOREST) has a lack of nature than all other places probably are industrial zones or something...
Gorets
Sojourner

Postby Gorets » Fri Apr 06, 2001 8:32 pm

well iam in kv now so i copied spell message from screen :P
Ionari
Sojourner

Postby Ionari » Fri Apr 06, 2001 9:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>Don't reply if you don't know what someone is talking about. That post referred to what many of us have been playing the past year, Duris and Basternae.

Close but no cigar. Try another topic.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shut up and listen:
You never specified about referring to other muds, neither is there anyone else in this post referring to another mud. You were talking about the old Toril/Soj which was eq rich and rolling and levelling dupes were cake, so don't give me any shit. (:
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Apr 07, 2001 10:23 am

"shut up and listen"

Oh my! Someone is going to lecture me! On my own post!

You don't have a clue what you're talking about, I never mentioned old Toril. Since you seem to think you could get 50 in 3 weeks, which you couldn't on ANY incarnation of Toril no matter HOW good your eq was, you are obviously clueless. Anyone who has mudded on toril/bast/duris realizes knows that those leveling times belong to bast and duris. You just want to open your mouth and hear yourself talk. I especially liked the "shut up and listen" part, that was a nice touch. Rofl - are YOU going to tell me what my post was about? Awww... I pity you.

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 04-07-2001).]
Ionari
Sojourner

Postby Ionari » Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:30 am

It got your attention, obviously. (:

So to hear myself talk more, I'll reply again.

Level 50 in 3 days is impossible? Who mentioned level fifty in three days? Three weeks perhaps. As I've both seen and personally received PL of 41 levels in 3 days and 41-48 in another 3.

Oh well. I heard the mud was open alpha now so I will try and see if I can roll something and see how many times I can die before Easter. (: My specialty.

Ionari is dead! R.I.P.
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Sun Apr 08, 2001 4:45 am

Actually, the absoulte lowest bound you could level a char to 50 is 4 pdays. The fastest person I know of to level a char to 50 was Kurz. I think it was about 4 pdays, his friends on here would know for sure. He put his Avernus on a paladin and leveled up to 50. He had all the eq on the paladin, and paladins get the +25% bonus. So the vamp on Avernus and lay hands (plus paladin heal at 41) went a long way I would imagine.

Giving credit where credit was due, it was impressive. That is the lower bound on previous incarnations of Soj. Anyone who sais they can level faster then that is lieing.

Trogar
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Apr 08, 2001 5:03 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jegzed:
<B>Exp seemed harsh to me, but I liked it..

It was really noticable with the differences in AC on our tank, and when he got the tank skills at level 5 he rocked.

/Jegzed </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also noticed this. It has made paladins really _suck_ at tanking for groups. As it is, we get no tanking skills until level 12. I think dodge or parry should be moved to below level 10, as I am level 11 and level 7 warriors can tank better than me with comparable eq.

Also, is the bonus in for 2h attacks and 2h bashing? It seemed near-impossible to land a bash, hardly surprising at my low level, but also very hard to hit most group exp mobs. Basically the caster/archers did all the damage and I sat there and took hits. I thought palis were part hitter?

Furthermore, are antis going to get a command to figure out when their lifetap is ready again? You can't just type 'lifet' because then it says 'tap who?' regardless of whether you can or not.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”