toadsquat mountains

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
cherzra
Sojourner

toadsquat mountains

Postby cherzra » Tue May 22, 2001 8:20 pm

OK, I don't want to be the 'bad guy' here, but am I alone in thinking that popping all new players there is a bad idea? I always loved the fact that you started out in your own, personal guild in your own, personal hometown... This new thing sort of gives me the 'midgaard ROM' feeling, you know, the 'mud school' area. I just think the idea of putting every race/class in the same zone when they start is ... bad, and takes away from the 'feeling' of the mud.

Comments? Opinions?
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Tue May 22, 2001 8:38 pm

I can't disagree with you there, it did seem kind of...well..'cheesy'. I can understand wanting to make the world easier for a true mudding newbie to acclimate to this world, but at the same time it does take away from the 'atmosphere' we are accustomed too. If I was brand new to mudding and this world I'd probably appreciate this area...but for most of us its 'recall, enter sojourn' and let us never speak of this area again Image.
Belle
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Tue May 22, 2001 9:06 pm

Cheesy, but I got over it in oh about 3 seconds. I do still have my log of my first day on Toril, and let me tell you it is hilarious. I talked to my guild master, shouted I was about to die when I got hungry, stumbled around my guild for at least 15 mins. trying to find all the other people. Image
I wouldn't trade it for anything, it's a classic moment in my mud career.

------------------
Gindipple (Gnome) stands here.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue May 22, 2001 9:16 pm

Yeah... I actually remember how cool the guild seemed the first time I logged on to sojourn. If I'd logged into a newbie area like that I prolly wouldn't have thought it was as cool. Could maybe have people start in their guild, then make the message say use the recall command to get to toadsquat?

Sarvis
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed May 23, 2001 12:48 am

you people suffer from 'bitter mudder' syndrome. WAH. I had to suffer? Why don't they? It's not fair!

bah.

its a game. im sure newbies not knowing anything is what you enjoy seeing, but if i have to explain to one less person how to "wear all' then i am all for it.

-dazok/kwirl
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed May 23, 2001 3:33 am

I think the newbie area just needs to be updated. A lot.

- Make the instructions for RECALL and ENTER GUILD flash bright friggin white about ten times. No question comes over NHC more often than "how do i get to my guild".

- More to the point, code zone echoes that explain how to use commads, and possibly some common help files. Y'know, town crier type stuff. Echo tips on recall, enter sojourn, spellcasting, food and drink, etc. Then update HELP NEWBIE to include all of those tips. On many muds HELP NEWBIE is a beginners guide, not a definition.

- Make food more plentiful in the arena, and have it clearly labelled. I know fuzzballs can be eaten now, but I didn't know that when I was in the newbie area. Make it filling enough that it will benefit Halflings and Ogres alike.

- Create some specialty level 1 mobs designed for this area. Tone their damage down considerably, give them fewer hit points, and increase their exp value. Yes, some dedicated newbies might powerlevel their way to level 5, but honestly, who cares? I'm worried about the newbie who needs half an hour to kill 3 mobs, doesn't see any exp gain, and gets frustrated. I'm not worried about Jegzed being able to get level 5 in half an hour on his fourth character.

- Add more permanent light sources.

There's more, but I think this will do for now. As of right now, the newbie area is more confusing than anything, and I found it to be a big hassle. I love helping out over NHC, but after the hundreth time I hear "how do i get to my guild", I get the impression that the newbie area isn't doing the job it was created to do.

- Ragorn
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed May 23, 2001 7:43 am

Maybe all the guilds should have a portal in them. Included in the newbie set of eq would be a scroll or parchment, which would tell them to enter the portal to a relatively easy area for starting adventurers if they wish to do so. Or perhaps the very moment you enter the game, the guildmaster would send you a tell with this information in it.. this would seem a lot more realistic than 'falling out of the sky' right into toadsquat. Of course, this should only happen to good races!! Evils shouldn't go to any newbie area, read 'help evil'. Along the same lines, NHC should be removed for evils Image

On a second note, I for one found toadsquat to be confusing, and -cough- somewhat boring. Why throw newbies in a place with rooms that don't align and rooms with the same descs over and over (at least they appeared to in the 2 mins I stayed there)? Might as well throw them into Undermountain...

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 05-23-2001).]
Taer/Ssil
Sojourner

Postby Taer/Ssil » Wed May 23, 2001 11:56 am

You can leave Toadsquat?! I was WONDERING how everyone else was getting past level 5!

-Ombul

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”