EQ camping

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
agreiver
Sojourner

EQ camping

Postby agreiver » Sat May 12, 2001 11:54 pm

I thought eq camping was illegal? Well if thats the case, its pretty annoying to see everyone else doing it so far.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun May 13, 2001 3:04 am

yeah, lol.

Kinda funny to see 40 people enter the mud in southeast WD by the tiny silver battle merc :P

And the emerald ring.. that thing is gone like 20 seconds into boot.
Revenki
Sojourner

Postby Revenki » Sun May 13, 2001 2:27 pm

make that 3 seconds on the tiny emerald ring. I happened to be in minthka the other day when mask brought the mud down. I thought I was gonna get lucky and get a much needed ring. I logged in immediately and ran over to the shop only to see 5 ppl sitting around in it and more ppl entering the game.

Revenki
Rahl
Sojourner

Postby Rahl » Sun May 13, 2001 4:24 pm

Yeah, EQ camping sucks and just isnt cool. I've heard tell of someone that camps by newbie eq sites, smites all the mobs with eq on them and throws them into water just so people cant have them. Just a rumor but an unpleasant one none the less.

------------------
Rahl -- Guardian of pink bunnies and anything fluffy
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun May 13, 2001 5:09 pm

I find that one just a bit too hard to believe...
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Sun May 13, 2001 5:22 pm

Popping eq only on boots is the sucky thing.
Make the pop random instead and let it pop even when the game is running in normal zone resets.

I think it sucks ass when eq only appear at reboots, make it rare instead and let it pop some time during the game... perhaps only once, but not at the bootup only.

Would make it even worth go out on eq hunting for rare pops even if the game been up for 40 hours. Sucks ass that everyone run like twinks when the game boots... bleh
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun May 13, 2001 5:27 pm

Yeah, let's head to seers only to find out after 2 hours of trudging through scorps that the eq didn't load....

It was like this last wipe too, everyone runs off for the tiny silver ring, the onyx earring in hp, etc. It's unavoidable, but it will cease in just a month when people aren't desperate for a crappy 4ac ring. Live with it. After all, you see these people there right after a reboot, which means you are there yourself too.

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 05-13-2001).]
agreiver
Sojourner

Postby agreiver » Sun May 13, 2001 6:31 pm

Just because your there doesnt mean your camping. What I was talking about is straight up camping on eq.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun May 13, 2001 10:16 pm

I can't wait to reach the mainland with my shipment of 50 water walking boots.

- Ragorn
Kidding.
Revenki
Sojourner

Postby Revenki » Mon May 14, 2001 2:14 am

I thought of a possible solution that would end the straight up camping on equipment. Make it so that when the mud goes down or is rebooted people are sent back to the last inn they rented at. I can understand people not wanting to camp out for a little while to do some rl life stuff and then come back and have to leave some inn and have to travel half the world to rejoin their group.

Make camping and saving a temporary thing per boot so people can leave for a short time and rejoin their party when they come back. As long as the mud doesnt go down you can come back in where you left off, but if the mud does go down everybody is set back to the last inn they rented at. This should end the problem of people camping right on top of equipment and the gods wouldn't ever have to deal with players attempting it.

Revenki
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Mon May 14, 2001 2:57 am

The tiny silver ring is in waterdeep, no?

So what prevents people from renting at the inn, logging in, and then using a macro to appear instantly there?

Don't think this necessarily indicates people camping the ring, you'd have to void at the spot it's going to pop at... or be there only on a reboot.

Postby Guest » Mon May 14, 2001 3:34 am

If you think people are doing that, let us know. We can check their last rented/camped spot.
Korin
Sojourner

Postby Korin » Mon May 14, 2001 6:26 pm

Well, on Evermeet atleast I have heard that poeple can't camp in certain zones.. dunno about that.. but the most common thing I see (from a couple certain....) is that they will go link dead at a rare with an alt and play someone else.. if the mud crashes they just log on at that spot with their elf.

The point about if the mud crashes everyone should go to their last inn is a good one i think.. sure poeple can macro it, but hey, atleast they can't get a headstart for their macro.

anyway..

-Drathlaen
Faerlien
Sojourner

Postby Faerlien » Mon May 14, 2001 6:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
<B>I can't wait to reach the mainland with my shipment of 50 water walking boots.

- Ragorn
Kidding.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ragorn, I know its not you, but it does seem like some people are making stashes.

I'm level 14, and have several friends, ranging from 9-15 who still don't have a pair of WW boots.

Considering the amount of crashes,reboots, and the fact that the boots are only on a level 10 or so mob, it seems every elf should have a pair by now.

Oh well, we'll get ours some day.

Faerlien
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon May 14, 2001 7:06 pm

I still don't have a pair.

I know for a fact some are making stashes. Not only of the boots but of other things. It's really making me sick to my stomach. I can't wait to leave the island(levelwise I can, but wanting a couple levels buffer, just incase) where I'll be less affected by this.

Speaking of which... Are we having fun yet?

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.

[This message has been edited by Malacar (edited 05-14-2001).]
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon May 14, 2001 9:50 pm

Chuckle Malacar.. its not much differant over on the mainland. People hoarding eq too. The only diffearnce is that not very many are high enough lvl to do a lot fo stuff, so I just go with crazy tanks and groups and manage to get lucky and kill mobs that should've ripped us apart. Image
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Mon May 14, 2001 10:51 pm

All this talk of making people go to the last inn they camped at is, no offense, just not bright.
Ever been on a CR from GN when the mud is going through sporadic crashes? I have. Get to the blue well, camp. Get to the ferry, camp. Get to RC, camp. Get to WD, rent. Because if you don't camp and the mud crashes. . . guess where you are. GN! That is a long walk regardless and you don't get your moves filled up on a crash. Without the camping, you will never make it to your eq.

Again, no offense, but if people camp on eq, they are twinks. If they just by dumb luck end up there, good for them.

A few thoughts from the not so bright barb,
Vigis
Ssryth
Sojourner

Postby Ssryth » Mon May 14, 2001 11:06 pm

Anyone want a yuan-ti whip? *snicker*
I don't camp on him I swear! he just gives it to lil ol me! hehe

Ssryth
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Tue May 15, 2001 3:07 am

I would be more than happy to take up slot as an admin that does nothing but watch for eq campers.
-Gerad
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Tue May 15, 2001 7:47 am

It does get annoying to see the same people doing the same piece of equ over and over. Im pretty sure they are giving then to friends but it gets annoying for the rest of us who dont get a chance. Realy once you have your own you should lay off and let other people get them.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue May 15, 2001 7:47 am

Big Brother is watching you!

- Ragorn
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Tue May 15, 2001 10:32 am

I'm also getting fed up with thoes twinks, run first outside gate, run to ef, to find all rares already done and 3 players bouncing around there. And 20 minuts after the boot everything is doen and half the elves are gone also, and the number of waterdeep goodies are increased. See twink players hitting some fun zones over and over again so they can stockpile stuff to sell in waterdeep or doing it for "friends".

Silvea

ps : Nilan I pay you for every twink elf you kill, we got more the doubled our population and tenfolded the number of twinks so work enough for you.
Astansus
Sojourner

Postby Astansus » Tue May 15, 2001 12:18 pm

Just add pkill and kill his storage (:

Cheers
Ssarra
Sojourner

Postby Ssarra » Thu May 17, 2001 7:34 pm

Simple solution:

When someone camps, and logs back in, make them start back at the last inn they rented at. When mud crashes, make them start back at last inn they rented at. No more eq camping. I don't know how difficult this is to code, but it's a good idea if you ask me.

Yes, I know this can cause some aggravation after a long trip somewhere, but hey, it lets everyone start on the same level. Shit happens :P

[This message has been edited by Ssarra (edited 05-17-2001).]
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Thu May 17, 2001 8:06 pm

I don't think that there is a code-able solution to this problem. If you make people pop up at the place they last rented the campers will just make a path to the eq. If you make the mobs pop up with the eq at random times you will have people just killing the mob over and over again until the eq pops(see EverQuest). The random pop also makes hard zones a dice roll on wether you will get the equipment or not.

Unfortunately, I think the only solution to this problem will be policing of players activities. The reporting and investigation of players that seem to be camping.

Rausrh licks you.
Ssarra
Sojourner

Postby Ssarra » Thu May 17, 2001 8:12 pm

I understand the paths, but what keeps anyone from doing that anyways. And what about someone running to camp near a zone so that when the mud reboots, all his buddies can well in. Might as well be eq camping there too. At least it'll be a race of the macro's, instead of no one at all having a chance to get eq, but for those who camp there. Hell, not like we don't have macros for everything else anyways :P Anyways, even if it don't work, it's just an idea i thought I'd throw out Image
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri May 18, 2001 4:03 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Korin:
<B>Well, on Evermeet atleast I have heard that poeple can't camp in certain zones.. dunno about that.. but the most common thing I see (from a couple certain....) is that they will go link dead at a rare with an alt and play someone else.. if the mud crashes they just log on at that spot with their elf.

The point about if the mud crashes everyone should go to their last inn is a good one i think.. sure poeple can macro it, but hey, atleast they can't get a headstart for their macro.

anyway..

-Drathlaen</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, if you are LD'd and the mud crashes, you start at your last rent spot.
Hamibugan Sinweaver
Sojourner

Postby Hamibugan Sinweaver » Fri May 18, 2001 4:27 am

I'd like someone to clarify something then please. Is it illegal to run for stuff when a boot is coming?

------------------
That is all. Peace.
Hami
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Fri May 18, 2001 5:04 am

No, it is not illegal. To be quite honest I think that this is an unhealthy thread, which is basically complaining about things that area mainly player controlled.

Yes, it is illegal to camp on eq. Does it happen? Probably, instead of complaining about it like this - pull an immortal aside if you *KNOW* that someone is doing it. Don't point fingers if you aren't sure.

When you take these kinds of complaints to this thread, and the manner which you are talking about it is just stirring up dissent. You know that word? It translates to "trouble".

These "People are cheating and it makes the game suck, bla bla" posts really get to me. Its called sour grapes. If they have nothing better to do than camp characters on eq, then so be it. When they get caught, and lose their character and EQ, who is worse off?

I just personally think that these complaints are unhealthy. If you see someone doing it, or have a strong reason to think someone may be doing it, like i said, pull aside an imm and speak to them. Looking for a mob of support in your 'anti-camper' war is annoying.

-dazok proudwolf
-kwirl karphys
"shouldn't post while drinking, probably"
Artikerus Blindhammer
Sojourner

Postby Artikerus Blindhammer » Fri May 18, 2001 12:14 pm

Let's face it. We can all be assholes. So, (and this has always been my conclusion cuz I'm a sore loser) If I see and have no Shadow of a Doubt that someone camped. I email the log to admin (I always log) and report it. Post haste. It's up to the immlies to prosecute, of course, and up to the players to give the evidence. Checking last rent/log place works wonders, just gotta get the imms to do it and know who to do it too. If we have a lot of people doing this then eq sitting will cease.

Oh yeah, is the rule zone or # of room specific? I mean, I can see people sitting at the shaman in KV and running to the master fisherman for boots with out being "Eq sitting" par se. Of course, if it's a Huge Frigging Zone, then it should all be relative and up to immlie decision.

AB6byby
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Fri May 18, 2001 2:23 pm

Repetitive Eq camping is lame.

Accidental infrequent Eq-camping-like activity should be tolerated depending on the case.

The last time an imm chatted to me about it in Toril, they explained the rules as thus:

"Players are not to camp at locations for the purpose of then going to get eq, rare or otherwise, after a crash.

Rent at any INN, and it is fine to run to wherever you like after starting the game in an INN."

Please, everyone, just be sensible and fair when it comes to this.

We are in the New Era of Sojourn.. a place that should be a wonderful rpg / mud home for many of us.
Let's make it so Image

On with the hunt..

Mogr.
Tovar
Sojourner

Postby Tovar » Fri Jun 01, 2001 2:26 pm

Gotta agree with Mogr on this one....
Galorion
Sojourner

Postby Galorion » Fri Jun 01, 2001 3:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If you make the mobs pop up with the eq at random times you will have people just killing the mob over and over again until the eq pops(see EverQuest). </font>

Yes, but then the twinks are only getting eq from one mob rather than several Image.

The worst part about the post-boot races to equipment is that if you're new to an area, you'll never know what monsters have equipment unless you go around asking Image.
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Fri Jun 01, 2001 3:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Galorion:
The worst part about the post-boot races to equipment is that if you're new to an area, you'll never know what monsters have equipment unless you go around asking Image.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea that would suck having to talk to others on the mud.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Fri Jun 01, 2001 3:57 pm

LOL Gind!!!

That was the best laugh I had all day. Image

I think his point was more to the fact that most folks won't tell you quests, because that way they have a one-up on you. Some will, some won't. It depends on whom you speak to.

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Fri Jun 01, 2001 4:11 pm

Well, there has always been the technicality that according to the help files yer not supposed to tell people how to do quests.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Fri Jun 01, 2001 4:19 pm

Right.

But as we both know, it happens every day. :P

------------------
Saitcho
Sojourner

Postby Saitcho » Fri Jun 01, 2001 4:27 pm

i usually wont tell quests to anyone unless they are very commonly known already. even if you're my best friend in the world, i would rather just give you a vague hint. its lots more fun to figure them out Image

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 01, 2001 4:55 pm

Actually, that's true. Giving out quests is frowned upon heavily by the gods.

Most area makers put more hours than can be imagined into some quests, making them difficult, challenging and fun. But all of this is totally ruined once one person tells another how to do it.

This was evidenced by the swarm quest. When Cyric originally put it in, for the longest time NO ONE had the spell, because either (A) they were working on it or (B) they were waiting on someone to finish it and tell them how to do it.

Sure enough, after literally MONTHS of people trying to complete it, figure out what to do, one person managed to do it. Sure enough, within a few weeks all of a sudden, a score of other mages who hadn't even started the quest had an epiphiny and figured it out as well.

We came to discover, one very kind soul was nice enough to post a step by step instruction on how to do the quest (complete with instructions down to "go 3w from X point, search then go to Y which is 12 N, 3e, u, 2s from Z" etc). The first person who did it did not tell. But all the effort that the original people who did the quest, people who wrote it were cheapened and lessened because people figured "I'm not going to tell ANYONE how to do this quest... well, other than my buddy here, he's ok". Not to mention Cyric had to go in and rewrite portions of the quest because that one person basically had nullifed the hard work of everyone involved before that kind person spilled the beans.

As a part time area writer, and a person who has put together quests, one of the things that is incredibly disheartening is to find out that all the work that you've put into a quest become null after one person figures it out and tells every single one of his buddies how to do it.

Certain quests, yeah, are meant to be simple. But the more complex the quest, yes, the more frustrating it is to players, but the rewards are generally more than worth it as well as the personal satisfaction of completing something as butt hard as the quest. Telling even ONE of your friends how to do it cheapens the work of the area writer as well as the players who did (or want to do) the work honestly because that one person will tell one or two people, who will tell one or two people, who will... well, you get the point.

In the above example, there were still mages who didn't want to get the answer. So they were punished because they couldn't get into groups because they didn't have the spell that some other person who spent 5 minutes reading a summary did.

Anyway, my long post is basically trying to say, don't give out how to do quests. Give out hints, yeah, that's encouraged, but not tell how to do it. Will it happen? Absolutely, but if I get one person not to do it, I'll consider it a victory.

Oh yeah, and my post is also trying to say "Go hug your local area maker." Writing an area is probably the most difficult thing to do on the MUD, takes a lot of work. People saying "oh, just throw together such-and-such area" really don't know what they're talking about.

- Kiaransalee

[This message has been edited by Kiaransalee (edited 06-01-2001).]
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Jun 01, 2001 6:10 pm

i just figured something out. i dont really complain about eq camper cuz i never run out to get eq. what does low lvl eq mean anyway? nothing. heck some of jot eq mean nothing. u guys remember giving token of thryms away? remember when newbies are running around w/ garnet mask? remember when elemental rings aren't bid on until 2nd round? remember dropping jagged rings cuz everyone had gemstones? u will prolly say i didn't have gemstones. i would've love elemental rings. well might be cuz u spend all that time looking for low lvl eq to get to 45+. once u hit high lvl thats when a new sorta fun begins. quest blah. low lvl eq blah. mid lvl eq blah. zoning. invasion. high lvl stuff thats where fun lies regardless of what time of player u are. i have not heard of folks being unhappy doing invasion. of they unhappy when they dont win bid but during invasion folks are pumped up. u can have the best eq. but heck i wouldn't invite ya to an invasion group if u under lvl 40. okay maybe if i was real disperate.
Galorion
Sojourner

Postby Galorion » Fri Jun 01, 2001 9:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Yea that would suck having to talk to others on the mud.</font>

*sigh*

You missed my point entirely. I love talking to and interacting with people on the mud, that's part of the reason why Sojourn is so cool. I enjoy helping people out when they're in trouble and I enjoy getting help from people that are kind enough to help me.

However, a lot of the fun of this game for me is exploring and finding stuff on my own or with a group. I do not enjoy asking someone "Hey, where does X come from" and have them tell me "Follow these directions then kill monsters X, Y, and Z".

With people grabbing items 20 seconds into a reboot, I never have the chance to find these things through adventuring and exploring.

[This message has been edited by Galorion (edited 06-01-2001).]
vynigumba
Sojourner

Postby vynigumba » Fri Jun 01, 2001 9:20 pm

Not sure if this is always the case but most of the quest i know involves in killing some huge mob for which you need a group. I believe that quests should be more individual, therefore you dont have to explain the group why you need to kill this particular mob and answer all the unavoidable questions. Having a group doing a quest for sure will diminish the secrecy of the quest. It is like the old story: if you know that there are 10 guys knowing your quest then is not a big deal if you give it away. I would like to see more quest where you need to accomplish tasks which are doable solo. (bringing items to mobs or wait for easy rarepop).
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sat Jun 02, 2001 5:46 am

To sok:

So everything comes down to high level, ultra-powered groups?

Some folks, not saying me, cuz personally, that's what I play for... But some folks don't play for that. They group, and stay mid level because they enjoy it, and don't like the stress of high level. Granted, they are few and far between, but does that mean that they are 'nothing'?

Just something to think about.

------------------

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”