not going to pwipe. take down ect....??

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Zoldren
Sojourner

not going to pwipe. take down ect....??

Postby Zoldren » Mon Feb 12, 2001 2:30 pm

Just before I came to play at the GREAT Toril/Sojourn of old.. there was a pwipe I had heard of...and heard of it being takin down "perminantely" along time ago.. as well as this most recently "perment" take down...
are we going to get any gaurantee that our hard work isnt going to be excuse the expression.. pissing in the wind?
This is the best mud I have ever played or seen, and I had a blast here, I dont want to get disapointed and lose everything again.. I dont think I could take it....Plz give me some good news.....
Uncle Zold
Tuga
Sojourner

Postby Tuga » Mon Feb 12, 2001 2:50 pm

Zoldren! g'day mate Image nice to c ye again

I'm with my good old Boa Contrictor xp maker here!
Is there any garantee this time the mud is not going to be taken down?

In my view everyone should comeback as they were when it was taken down or tho the new changes to rogues are a problem! but itz only my view Image

I just dont wanna spend 10-20 hours a week for the next 52 and then all goes down the drain!

Tuga the concerned Troll
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Mon Feb 12, 2001 3:12 pm

Obviously everyone here would be pretty upset if something like that happened. All I can say is who knows what the future holds. We might all be on the cusp of lvl 50 and the Imms could decide to take it down. It's their right, and it sucks for us, but they had valid reasons last time, and I'm sure they would have valid reasons if it happened again.

Let's just trust that they won't take it down prematurely. I think it would be unfair for them to provide "assurances", since you can never assure the course of the future. How much more disappointed would we be if something happened that caused the MUD to shut down after they had "assured" us. Silly to ask them that in my opinion.

Once again, just a thick-skinned dwarf/hungry halfling's 2 cents.

Harthorm/Twiblin
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Mon Feb 12, 2001 3:20 pm

ZOLDREN!!! Hiya!!! Wow, you are still around. Cool...

Well, I guess we're gonna take a leap of faith here and hope that Soj3 will be around for a long time. Don't look at it like you are wasting time even if Soj3 is taken away from us. Don't you play for the fun of the actual RL experience? You can't take anything from the MUD with you except the friendships and experiences you have. Look at it that way and just have *fun*!

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Nizrath/Jalzyn
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Mon Feb 12, 2001 3:24 pm

One thing I have to say though is that, nothing lasts forever, and everything has it's problems. So the way I see it, enjoy it while you have it! And if it goes down, it goes down. There are other things to life!

Galkar - Philosopher of Nothing.
Tuga
Sojourner

Postby Tuga » Mon Feb 12, 2001 3:50 pm

I agree with all you are saying! And I'm sure i gonna have heaps of fun playing Soj3...

But the question still is in the back of my mind?

Should I play game(that I love and have heaps of fun) that is gonna be taken awya from me because someone couldn't resolve their disputes?

Maybe a is an unfair way to judge what happened last time but I ask "why should I pay for someone else problems?"

Sad and selfish way but as I'm getting older I am getting sader and more selfish! Just me!

Tuga the Sad and Selfish Troll
Vylare
Sojourner

Postby Vylare » Mon Feb 12, 2001 4:31 pm

Tuga,
What you are saying is the exact reason I am choosing not to come back and play Sojourn, but to continue playing EQ.
Whatever you decide, it is not a decision someone else can make for you though, and I'm sure you will make the right decision for you Image
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Mon Feb 12, 2001 4:46 pm

I understand your apprehensions, Tuga, but the way I still see it is, carpe diem (sieze the day!). Take what you can while you can. I see it in life too. Life is short and who knows when your life will be taken away too. Make the best of what you got and try to have some fun along the way. If Soj3 is taken away, so be it. At least we had a chance to come back and create some new memories to share.

As for EQ, the only reason I don't play it is because they charge to play. Yeah, don't go explaining that they need to charge to maintain this or do that, I just don't think I need to pay every month to play. Besides, the quality of player from EQ to Soj is too far to measure. Bah, my $0.02... Image

Nizrath
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Mon Feb 12, 2001 5:54 pm

yes, I am still around and kicking you cant get ride of me that easy Image
you all have made good arguments except one. I dont want to drag up old/bad memories.. I would just like to know that they arent going to take it down for a god-player dispute again..... or some argument or someone gets mad at someone and says ohh I'll show you..... I know a few people that swore never to play here again because every time they get "comfortable" playing.. it goes down or pwipe or something silly.. just tell me it wont go down (even if is a lie) for like 2 years :P
Lv ya all
Uncle Zold
Braggo
Sojourner

Postby Braggo » Mon Feb 12, 2001 9:52 pm

Uncle Zold's Back!!!

Braggo Boulderbasher
Revenki
Sojourner

Postby Revenki » Tue Feb 13, 2001 4:11 am

Hee hee, I've been playing on Sojourn/Toril off and on since 89-90, the only thing i can tell you from my past experience is that there is no lifeguard on duty, swim at your own risk!

Revenki Human Necro
Berrok Snowbear Barbarian Shaman
Vhert Dwarven Thief
Froplin Halfling Invoker
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:04 pm

Here's my take on it:

Let's say you were on vacation in a beautiful and exotic place (without Leonardo Dicaprio) and you met a beautiful, intelligent, downright amazing woman who you had a chance to get with. This wonderful woman knows you are on vacation, you know you are on vacation, and in the end, you both know that you'll have to leave and return to your normal lives, possibly never to see each other again. Would you go for it?

Hell, yeah, I would! The only difference here is that the MUD isn't a woman (although I'd feel alot better about myself if it was, considering all the time I spent on Soj last time), we don't know how long the vacation is going to last (maybe it will never end... ahhhh, paradise), and we usually have to go to work in between small bursts of MUD fun.

Now, go get 'em, tiger!

Harthorm/Twiblin
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Tue Feb 13, 2001 7:31 pm

ROFL, Harthorm!! Great analogy there! I totally agree with the point of view. Just make the best of it while you can. Who knows what will happen, but take control of the present and have fun with it. Image

Nizrath

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 14, 2001 7:42 pm

Once we open after testing, we will not being doing any Pwipes. We've agreed among that staff that pwipes are very disruptive and not something we're going to be doing.

As for shutting down the mud, I'd like to say that it will run as long as there is interest in it, but there's always that thing you didn't think of that pops up. Right now, we're all working towards opening and having a good time. Our intention is to get it up and leave it up.
Calinth
Sojourner

Postby Calinth » Thu Feb 15, 2001 12:28 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mask:
Once we open after testing, we will not being doing any Pwipes. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that "after testing" after beta, or alpha testing?
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Thu Feb 15, 2001 1:11 am

Calinth, if I remember correctly, the only pwipe will be after alpha. As far as beta goes, it's really the opening and no pwipes are planned after beta starts.

Thanks, Mask, for the info!

Nizrath
Bregar Blackwolf
Sojourner

Postby Bregar Blackwolf » Thu Feb 15, 2001 3:30 am

All I want to do after 2 or 3 pwipes is finally hit level 50 which I have never done with any of my characters and I've been playing here since 1992 or 1993..ROFL ..I had Sudora Blackwolf at 45 Barbarian warrior and Bregar Blackwolf at 46 Barbarian Warrior. I just want 50 is that to hard to ask..anybody please? :P

Bregar

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 15, 2001 3:46 pm

We'll most likely have to wipe after Alpha testing, because we'll have to level people up and equip them for them to be able to test zones/balance.

Mask
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Thu Feb 15, 2001 5:33 pm

Thats cause you played a warrior bregar...I myself once I hit 46 with my ranger never xped, started multis instead. At that level any xp you get is usually zone xp, and you balance that out by a healthy amount of dieing Image It would be different if you were a caster (more force missiles, more ds), but hitters didn't see any real differance between 46 and 50.
50 isn't real hard, just is it worth it? Image
Belle
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Thu Feb 15, 2001 5:44 pm

more hitpoints, xp buffer so you won't lose masters in skills.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”