aging and rejuvenating warning

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Revenki
Sojourner

aging and rejuvenating warning

Postby Revenki » Sun May 27, 2001 9:57 pm

Just a fyi to prevent this from happening to anyone else...

I found out that the code still does not allow an evil (human) necromancer to rejuvenate paladins and rangers. Although we are allowed to group together now on the good race side, we still cannot perform beneficial services for each other.

I talked to Kia about this and it's from a roleplay point of view that paladins and rangers cannot receive rejuvenation in this fashion.

Revenki

[This message has been edited by Revenki (edited 05-28-2001).]
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon May 28, 2001 4:14 am

Hope that's an oversight...

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon May 28, 2001 10:12 pm

Err... that's just wrong. I would think there's a much greater chance of a 90 year old ranger asking for a major rejuv spell than there would be of a 18 year old one grouping with a necro.

Sarvis
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue May 29, 2001 2:25 am

That's flat out stupid.

Let's allow them to group together, and get all spells we want from them except one.

Right.

What's the point of letting them group together again?

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue May 29, 2001 2:39 am

It's probably a throwback to the outcast days, where a ranger trying to arrange a secret rejuv when no gods were around would get a nasty shock.

Will probably be fixed, hopefully.

- Ragorn
Revenki
Sojourner

Postby Revenki » Tue May 29, 2001 2:48 am

From my conversation with Kia I would say that this won't be changed.

Kia said there's a difference between paladins grouping with evils in a common cause to wipe out some other evilness as opposed to a paladin for the sake of vanity trying to be rejuved.

Revenki
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue May 29, 2001 10:39 am

FEH! (was getting tired of bleh)

Not really, I mean.. it's not vanity... it's just that it's really really hard to fight evil when your dentures keep falling out.

Sarvis

PS: In other words, a paladin would want to be younger so that he can live and do more good in the world. As opposed to dying of old age.

PPS: Of course there's not much precedent either way, since most adventurers on in Faerun die young. Fighting evil isn't conducive to a long life yous know. Image
Xizz
Sojourner

Postby Xizz » Tue May 29, 2001 12:11 pm

You still have to rp certain aspects, why should necros not be able to recieve the touch of a paladin yet a paladin should reap the rewards of a defiled art?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue May 29, 2001 12:17 pm

Exactly why I think they (we) shouldn't be allowed to group together. But it makes no sense to say we can group and get boneskin cast on us, but not major rejuv.

Sarvis
ShadowDrake
Sojourner

Postby ShadowDrake » Fri Jun 15, 2001 4:56 am

Think about it...

First - a Paladin is the anti-thesis of evil. In no way would they associate with another evil character/person unless dire instances deemed necessary (let's say Tiamat decided to have a bonfire).

Second - In essence, a necromancer embraces the dark arts/"forbidden magic" of necromancy, which in itself is a thesis if evil (though in some cases the necro may be good, the art itself is still believed to be an evil art. What do most people think when they see someone animating a corpse? ("oh, he's just helping clean up the streets." Come on now...)

Third - A Paladin wouldn't normally ask for youth out of vanity (even though some are damn vain), especially from an evil. If they felt it was meant for them to have that youth to "smite the evil that roams Faerun," they would turn to their God/Goddess first. Remember, they come second in faith only to a true cleric. Meaning, they would follow the tenants of their faith to the death, else they aren't truly a believer in their God/Goddess anymore, or have fallen out of favor.
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Fri Jun 15, 2001 1:29 pm

The only logical story I can think of if something like this happens to let evil-humans group with paladin/rangers:

paladin says 'lets smite evil at the pirate ship'
anti says 'slaying that sounds cool to me'
paladin looks at anti.
*** CRITIC FAILURE on detect alignment ***
paladin says 'sounds good, follow me bro'
anti follows paladin
group created

*** they smite evil here but anti kept grinning ***

paladin gsay why are you always laughing bro?
anti gsay nothing bro, all is fine in the eye of our gods.

(why would he be laughing now?????)
Nitania
Sojourner

Postby Nitania » Fri Jun 15, 2001 5:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ShadowDrake:
<B>Think about it...

First - a Paladin is the anti-thesis of evil. In no way would they associate with another evil character/person unless dire instances deemed necessary (let's say Tiamat decided to have a bonfire).

----------

A Paladin wouldn't normally ask for youth out of vanity (even though some are damn vain), especially from an evil. If they felt it was meant for them to have that youth to "smite the evil that roams Faerun," they would turn to their God/Goddess first. Remember, they come second in faith only to a true cleric. Meaning, they would follow the tenants of their faith to the death, else they aren't truly a believer in their God/Goddess anymore, or have fallen out of favor.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

on your first point: In theory this is correct.... but in theory only.

on your last point: what happens when they turn to thier gods or goddess' and they are told to use the means within thier grasp? i mean.. its not like they dont group with them on a daily basis.. its just another way to force only a few specific classes into RP when RP should not be forceable by code (with the only acception being good races vs. evil races in grouping restrictions).

bottom line - code that forces RP where none normally exists is not only stupid, but it should be changed.

Nitania RP extraordinaire.
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Fri Jun 15, 2001 5:41 pm

Quick question:
Can Necros turn neutral?

Followed up by:
Can paladins be rejuved by a neutral necro?

Not that I mind of course. I'm looking forward to regening 1 movement point per minute in the future.
Tovel
Sojourner

Postby Tovel » Sat Jun 16, 2001 5:20 am

how about imp a quest for a rejuv potion
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Jun 16, 2001 8:00 pm

Tovel: I believe there already is a rejuv potion somewhere in the game not from Tiamat. At least I've heard rumors of such and some mobs that hint at one.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Jun 17, 2001 8:41 pm

Hmm... ok then, I want this counted into our balance against rogues. Since halflings can just go ask Tanras for a major rejuv we should be able to do a bit more melee damage than they can. (And by "we" I mean "me" since the elf type rangers will prolly never need it... Image

Sarvis
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Sun Jun 17, 2001 8:44 pm

*begin sarcasm*

Sarvis we cant do more melee than rogues. Remember, we're only a fighter sub-type and they're rogues. Obviously, they should do more damage than us.

*end sarcasm*

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”