Final Fantasy

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
rylan
Sojourner

Final Fantasy

Postby rylan » Mon Jul 16, 2001 3:08 pm

Anybody see this movie yet? Its definately not what you may be expecting.

I can certainly understand why it took over 3 years to do all of the wireframe capture from the actors and rendering for the animation.. its absolutely amazing how real the characters look. The hair on Aki flowed and looked totally real. I don't think I've ever seen detail like that.
Kamok
Sojourner

Postby Kamok » Mon Jul 16, 2001 4:52 pm

I saw it couple days ago. The animation was amazing. The story wasn't that well developed so don't expect much. It's worth the price of admission just for the animation, just make sure the theater is showing the movie with DLP.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
<B>Anybody see this movie yet? Its definately not what you may be expecting.

I can certainly understand why it took over 3 years to do all of the wireframe capture from the actors and rendering for the animation.. its absolutely amazing how real the characters look. The hair on Aki flowed and looked totally real. I don't think I've ever seen detail like that.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Mon Jul 16, 2001 4:57 pm

the story was kinda slow but every time i saw aki and her hair i totally forgot about it. the animation was awesome. so i guess i didn't have anything new to add. oh.. actually the romantic storyline between aki and alex baldwin was lame. i dont think it was needed.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Jul 16, 2001 5:10 pm

Heheh.. yeah :P

I thought the story was alright, but as you said, it is well worth it just to see the animation. Hell, just go to see the first scene with Aki's hair. Image
I was so impressed with the rendering and details I'll probably go see it again.

I guess the only thing that bothered me is how they killed just about everyone during the movie.. chuckle.
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Mon Jul 16, 2001 8:40 pm

you would think that the time spent doing the animation, the writers - instead of playing ping pong with dead mice, would have written a decent story.

thank GOD the movie was so pretty, because otherwise it would have blown.

-daz says "see fast and the furious again, instead - i will"
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Tue Jul 17, 2001 2:50 am

actually the story was pretty faithful to the outlandish stories of the final fantasy games (final fantasy VII had the best story though, reall good) just very abridged
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:09 am

I kept getting shooshed for laughing at all of the sexual imagery. People take movies too seriously. Then again the same can be said for people and music (such as me. I take music too seriously). Alec Baldwin's character's mouth movements didn't always match what he was saying. Sometimes it looked like just the lower lip was flapping.

Now if it were me doing the graphics and all, it'd be about six or seven frames of ASCII drawings. That's about the extent of my graphic talent.

I want to play pingpong with dead mice. Maybe I'd actually win at a sport that way...

And what the hell is the USMF? I can think of a few things, which was one of the reasons I was laughing.

Whenever Aki touched her little phantom thingy, my brother and I would say "Ohh baby, that's hot" and other such inappropriate things.

All in all I had fun.

- Grungar "So then the smiley face moves over to the left?" Forgefire
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Tue Jul 17, 2001 11:45 am

Bleh, someone got it in mpeg format?

Prob take ages for it to reach sweden :P
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Jul 17, 2001 12:42 pm

I saw it at a midnight show in a theater near me, and some dude had equpiment set up recording it, so I'm sure it'll be on the net soon :P
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jul 17, 2001 1:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dinggle:
actually the story was pretty faithful to the outlandish stories of the final fantasy games (final fantasy VII had the best story though, reall good) just very abridged</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you kidding!?! The story from Final Fantasy 3(5j) was soooooooooo much better.

Sarvis
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Tue Jul 17, 2001 3:08 pm

the story from US finaly fantasy III was all over the place and at times very confusing. it also lagged in far too many places (remember the opera house). of the square rpg's out at that time chrono trigger was probably better, and US finaly fantasy II had a pretty bitchin story too (crap myself, my friends and our families would sit around the tv for hours every other day figuring that one out this was before the hint books became so prevalent) and always with the current issue of 'nintendo power' helping us along. that was my fav and as soon as the shops in the area have final fantasy chronicles in stock again i'll be very happy
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jul 17, 2001 3:22 pm

Final Fantasy 2's story was ok. Though I hear a lot was cut out of the US version, so I'm also looking forward to the FFC thing where they supposedly put everything back.

Personally I thought FF3 was way better anyway, since all the characters mattered and had real roles... they weren't just their to support the main character. And yes, I remember the opera house scene... I thought it kicked ass. Image

Sarvis
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Jul 17, 2001 3:42 pm

Yeah FF3 was pretty cool. I think my favorite for overall playing fun would be FF2. Yeah, some stuff was chopped out in the US version, but it was still cool. Great music for 16-bit too. And it looks amazing on my pc emulator.. hehehehe

fyi.. FF7 also had quite a bit chopped from it. There was supposed to be a big quest to be able to resurrect arie, but the coders didn't get the conversion done in time, and squaresoft ended up having them disable the quest. Most of the code is still in the game though, and even a scene in the ending movie that you can't access.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Jul 17, 2001 4:03 pm

I have the FF4(US Final Fantasy 2) Japanese ROM that was independantly translated, and updated last year. It's got the parts that were cut out, as well as a lot of abilities and spells that I never knew existed til I played it.

snes9x or zsnes(or whatever SNES emulator you prefer) will run it.

If you're interested, drop me a line. I'll email it over to you. (It's about 2 meg, so hotmail and AOL users are outta luck, I'm afraid.) I have the emulator to email also, but if you go to google, or any other search engine and do a search for 'SNES ROM', 'ZSNES', or 'SNES9X', you can find it easy for download.

2(Japanese 4) was by far my favorite. 3(6 japanese) was ok, but too cluttered imo.

I didn't even bother to finish 7, I didn't like it much. I never even managed to get myself to play 8. Heard too much about it that I didn't like. 9 was excellent, and I liked it a lot. Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, I think, still take my vote for best RPGs by square.

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jul 17, 2001 4:11 pm

I don't think they implemented the Aeris quest in the japanese version either. I'd heard that it was because the coders couldn't get the flickering effect for her ghost in one scene right. Bastards! Image But I'd also heard that the Aeris thing was pure rumor... so who knows... heh.

I don't see why people think 3 was cluttered. Sure, it had a lot of stuff going on... but that's one of the things that made it cool. It wasn't just the hero who had a life... everyone had a major storyline and everything, unlike Chrono Cross where all the characters are just different bitmaps of the same base char.

FF7 was good... I actually think Sephiroth was a more effective villain than Kefka. I reall, really wanted to kill him after he killed Aeris... but overall FF3 was more interesting to me.

Chrono Trigger was excellent.. but Chrono Cross sucked. I only barely finished the game because I was getting so bored with it. None of the characters had any personality or purpose... they were just there. And the storyline was just tacked on at the end when they explained everything to you before you went to the last fight... the entire rest of the game was just go here, do this, get that. I never even bothered to get the alternate endings because it was so boring... Image

Sarvis
Sartorix
Sojourner

Postby Sartorix » Tue Jul 17, 2001 4:19 pm

FF3(American) rules. Best square rpg by far. Convuluted story with a really good cast of characters--and with the best combat/spell system in any of the games.

Chrono Trigger in 2nd place, also very good.

FF7 was new sure, but the novelty wore off quickly and was just another game. Okay game.
After FF7 downhill, sadly they're not very good.

Chrono Cross Blah

Final Fantasy The Spirits Within sucked hard. Oh my god it sucked. Sure it's cool to see lots of detail in a computer animation, but the story was so dumb and pointless.

Disco W. Lemonade
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Jul 17, 2001 4:32 pm

You got your opinion on games, I got mine.. Just voiced mine, since others voiced theirs. Image

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
Tovar
Sojourner

Postby Tovar » Tue Jul 17, 2001 5:25 pm

BAH...you nerds need to get a life!! Everyone knows the best "RPG" series out there is Leisure Suit Larry. Point of that game: go out, pick up and seduce chicks. At least it would have taught you social retards something useful! J/K :P

FF: Spirits- great animation...suck story line....IMHO.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Tue Jul 17, 2001 5:42 pm

Yeah sierra made some great games, Kings Quest 3, Police Quest, Colonels bequest, and who could ever forget the terror inspired by the text You hear footsteps in the original space quest.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jul 17, 2001 5:48 pm

Tovar, I pick up my chicks in real life. I don't need 'em all pixilated and animated, but if that's your thing... Image

I always liked the Quest for Glory series. Never got a chance to play the last one, but I've got my paladin ready for when I do. Image

Telos

[This message has been edited by Sarvis (edited 07-17-2001).]
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:41 pm

lol Image

Yeah, those old Sierra games were cool Image
Space Quest 4 (The time rippers one I think) where they made fun of the game while you were playing it.. hahahah. Those rocked

Oh, yes, Chrono Trigger was awesome also. It looks great on the zsnes emulator too.. better than the console due to the interpolation settings Image
Altan
Sojourner

Postby Altan » Tue Jul 17, 2001 7:36 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tovar:
<B>BAH...you nerds need to get a life!! Everyone knows the best "RPG" series out there is Leisure Suit Larry. Point of that game: go out, pick up and seduce chicks. At least it would have taught you social retards something useful! J/K :P

FF: Spirits- great animation...suck story line....IMHO.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naw, Leisure suit was ok, But Space Quest, Now there was a cool RPG Image Played those and Kings Quest for HOURS.. omg, I can't remember how long I played those for, they need to make some more games like those.. Image

Altan
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Tue Jul 17, 2001 9:26 pm

Ahh Space Quest... Those games were such fun, tis a shame they cancelled production of Space Quest VII. Those were the games that actually got me addicted to computers in the first place. I was maybe 5 or 6 playing on our Apple IIGS. Yeah, I remember getting really freaked out by the "You hear footsteps..." thing. I had fun shooting everything with the pulse ray once you got onboard the ship. One thing that really pissed me off was in II, if you got kissed by the alien and saved over your game, you were screwed.

Time to get back to studying.

- Grungar "Holy logjams Batman, you almost bit the big one!" Forgefire

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”