Sport bikes

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Koric
Sojourner

Sport bikes

Postby Koric » Tue Apr 17, 2001 2:03 pm

Any sport bike owners here? I'm "TRYING" to save up for a yr 2000+ 6r or r6. Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the ninja or yzf and what they think about it.. Also I've NEVER rode a bike before so any suggestions on how to do so the first few stages would be cool.
Yadir
Sojourner

Postby Yadir » Tue Apr 17, 2001 2:41 pm

Ahh.. to have my CBR 600 again.. *wipes away a wistful tear*

Wife won't let me buy another sportbike. So all I have now are a few pictures and fond memories.

My advice is this - Don't try to go faster than 110 on a single lane windy country road at night.

Yadir
Sangdraxus Blackfire
Sojourner

Postby Sangdraxus Blackfire » Tue Apr 17, 2001 3:20 pm

http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr_01/sportstreet/fs_haya.htm

One word... Hyobusa. Fastest street legal bike out of the crate. I am not a big Suzuki fan, but the price that goes with this monster can't be beat.

*drools*

------------------
Sangdraxus Blackfire
Ancient Defender of Mask - Sojourn
Leader of the Veil of Darkness
agreiver
Sojourner

Postby agreiver » Tue Apr 17, 2001 9:30 pm

I work in a Kawasaki motorcycle dealership. I got the hook up if any of you need anything.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Apr 18, 2001 5:09 am

Dranak is big into sport bikes. email me for his address if you want it.

------------------
Gormal FaCtOr!

Gormal Stoneforge
Kildran T'sarith
vense
Sojourner

Postby vense » Wed Apr 18, 2001 3:35 pm

Koric said, "I've NEVER rode a bike before."

Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Beginner course. MSF Certification will give you a discount on your insurance and will waive the road test for your driver license or motorcycle class certification for your driver license.

Buy an old bike for your first bike, preferably one without a lot of fairing (the plastic covers on crotch rockets). You will drop your bike.

Wear a helmet. Buy a good leather jacket. Don't wear shoes with exposed laces when you ride. Wear gloves. Get a Hanes or Clymer or factory manual for your bike. Get a lock for it. Buy a cover for it if you can't store it in a garage or at least under a carport.
Liran
Sojourner

Postby Liran » Wed Apr 18, 2001 4:19 pm

I currently have a 2000 CBR. R6 is a great bike, the Ninja's are a P.O.S. and dont hold their resale value, the 2001 Suzuki 600 is awesome!
I would stay away from the 'busa, lota problems with that bike (had a couple recalls), most importantly.. its ugly! And motorcycles are all about looking good.

I agree a safety course is a MUST. The one I took even provided the bikes in class so you dont have to muss up the fairings on your bike while you learn. The other point Vense brought up is waiving the skills test at the DMV, you will never be able to run the obsticle course on a sportbike.

I leave you with 1 last thought...
stay away from the "squish zone"...
When your on the outside of a turn, don't lean over far enough that your head is over the line into oncoming traffic.

Liran Wynterraine
- Why do it on two wheels when it can be done on one (=
Gorgaxx Skull Shrinker
Sojourner

Postby Gorgaxx Skull Shrinker » Wed Apr 18, 2001 5:33 pm

Kinda wierd to see this topic up there at this particular time. I love motorcycles, but my advice to you is to exercise extreme caution. Just last wednesday an aquantence of mine bought a his first motorcycle. The shop he bought it from wouldnt let him ride it off the lot cause he didnt have his motorcycle endorsement yet. So he had a friend drive it home for him. He then proceeded to take it for his first ride. 2 miles away from his house, he pulled a wheelie, whether the wheelie was accidental or he just lost control. He smacked his head into an brick wall and needless to say he's not with us anymore. Just a little something for you to think about while shopping for your new motorcycle. Sport bikes in my humble opinion are TOO powerful for begginers. Get a cruiser bike they are much cooler looking and much safer :P I personally own a suzuki savage 650, they are fun bikes, and good for begginers, not too powerfull but not weak as hell either. Thats all for now, have a nice day.
Ithrynn
Sojourner

Postby Ithrynn » Wed Apr 18, 2001 6:39 pm

A 2000+ Yamaha R6 or a Kawasaki ZX-6R are *not* starter bikes for beginners.

If you *had* to go NEW, when most experienced riders *will* tell you to go used (for good reason), look into a Suzuki SV-650.

I invite you over to esportbike.com or sportbikes.net. Ask some questions, search the archives. That's where to get your advice.

You'll get a lot of good information there. I've heard and read of too many senseless accidents and *deaths* caused because a beginner hopped on the latest 600cc sportbike. r6, gsxr600, cbr600f4, zx6r...etc. I won't even go into sportbikes that displace larger than 600cc's.

Think about it, a "small" 600cc sportbike can 0-60 in ~3.5 seconds. That's faster than a Porsche911 Turbo. That's faster than
almost every street legal car out there.

I wouldn't put a beginner driver behind a Porsche911 Turbo, *and* a Porsche911 is infinitely SAFER than a sportbike.

1. Take the MSF course.
2. Start small, start used. Kawasaki EX-500, Yamaha SecaII, Yamaha FZR600, a Honda CBR600F2, *maybe* a F3 if you can restrain yourself...an old Suzuki Katana600, etc.

BTW all these bikes will outrun 95% of the cars out there so don't think you're getting something tame.

3. Buy and wear gear. Helmet, jacket, and gloves minimum. Ideally you should wear everything every time you ride. I do, and I ride every day. That's a full suit, helmet, gloves, boots, and back protector.

4. Take the MSF class.

5. Take the MSF class.

6. Go to esportbike.com or sportbikes.net. Image

Good luck, and enjoy! Motorcycles are splendiferous.
Ithrynn
Sojourner

Postby Ithrynn » Wed Apr 18, 2001 6:43 pm

Btw, did I mention that a 2000+ R6 or ZX-6R are not bikes for beginners?

:P
Ithrynn
Sojourner

Postby Ithrynn » Wed Apr 18, 2001 7:18 pm

Oh, and to directly answer your question about the R6 and the ZX-6R.

The great thing about the current crop of 600cc's is that performance wise they are about the same. I'm talking the Yamaha R6, HondaCBR600F4i, Suzuki GSXR600, Kawasaki ZX-6R and to a lesser extent the Triumph TT600.

Now, if you read reviews of them in the magazines you won't get that impression. You'll read about how one is faster than the other, how one handles better, etc. However for the most part this is comparing microscopic differences. The performance levels of all are such that on a track you'll be within a second or two of the other...depending on the length of the track.

The real differences lie in their orientation, forgiveability, and ergonomics.

The ZX-6R and CBR600F4 are geared towards the street, whereas the R6 and the GSXR-600 have postures that are suited for the track.

The R6 and the GSXR-600 are especially twitchy and unforgiving. By this I mean that every little motion you make on the bike will make the bike do something. Great if you know what you're doing, HORRIBLE if you don't. If you feed the inputs the wrong way, the bike will respond and suddenly you might find the nose in the air, in a turn no less...or suddenly the back end will step out...or you'll go into a tankslapper (bars shaking from lock to lock)...not pretty.

This just scratches the surface but I hope you get the idea.

Also, the 600cc class is generally the best handling class of bikes. Nobody will upgrade to a larger displacement bike because they "outgrew" the handling of a 600cc sportbike. That is rubbish. On the street that is simply not possible. Some might feel that they outgrew the power (remember 600cc = 0-60 3.5sec) but that is about it.

Also, with bikes, it is more about the rider's ability than the bike's capability to go fast. A number people like to throw around is 90% rider 10% bike. I laugh when I see stories of experienced riders on Goldwings (those HUGE touring bikes) or BMW's passing the blokes on GSXR's, etc. It's funny to watch the latter's frustration, because they're on the "faster" bike.

A common belief is that if you start small and forgiving, you'll learn how to rider better faster than if you started big. That's because the "big" bike (I'm talking modern 600cc) will scare the bejeezus out of you and you won't approach the limits of yourself and the bike as you would on a slower speciman.

Sorry for the lengthy essay, but I hope you get the idea.

[This message has been edited by Ithrynn (edited 04-18-2001).]
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Wed Apr 18, 2001 7:39 pm

Man we don't have a bike shop down here in Ghore...you goodies get all the breaks...

Rausrh licks you.
Razabble
Sojourner

Postby Razabble » Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:18 pm

In addition to what has been mentioned already. I would suggest that you get the book titled Proficient Motorcycling. It is a must read for cyclists of all levels...actually can make you a better rider.

Razabble...

P.S. Get a smaller used bike first and then trade in when yer ready for the Suzuki Image
agreiver
Sojourner

Postby agreiver » Thu Apr 19, 2001 12:25 pm

Plenty of beginners come into my shop buying ZX-6R. We only get a couple crashes a year, but thats not bad considering we sell 100+ ZX-6's to people who have never ridden.
Koric
Sojourner

Postby Koric » Fri Apr 20, 2001 2:00 am

Been busy here but wanted to take the time to thank everyone for their input. I'll definitely look into the web for further information on the MSF course. I KNOW I'll drop the bike a couple of times and plus the point about the learning curve on gentler bikes...gonna see if I can hook up with a smaller bike somehow just to get the feel.

If I decide to go with the ninja I'll be sure to consult ya first Agr 8b.. but only when the time comes for me to choose. Lotsa things I still must do b4 then.

Thanks all for their opinions and keep them comin 8)
Koric
Sojourner

Postby Koric » Fri Apr 20, 2001 4:28 pm

What does one suggest for a FIRST bike that is geared toward the ninja/yzf's driving style. Hopefully economical as well with a decent resale value after a few drops.
Ithrynn
Sojourner

Postby Ithrynn » Fri Apr 20, 2001 8:03 pm

Now you're talking Koric Image

Some bikes to look into:

Kawasaki EX500 (ninja 500) is a bike you can really flick through the turns.

Yamaha FZR600 is good.

Yamaha SecaII is a little more conservative, only has a single front rotor though...but it only has an upper fairing which means not so much $$$ spent repairing damaged bodywork.

Along the same lines is the Suzuki Bandit600, more kick than a SecaII.

Hondas always hold their resale value. Middle nineties cbr600f2. maybe an early f3.
the cbr600's have always been the top or near the top of the sportbike 600's.

another possibilitiy is the suzuki katana600.
you could also look into kawaski zx6's, zx6e's (not zx-6r!)...

for a new bike i'd just leave it at a suzuki sv650.

and overall remember all these bikes will still get you in *lots* of trouble real quick. remember a bike like the fzr600 was designed to be a racebike for its day (which was what, 5 years ago?). but they're definitely a wiser choice than the current 600 crop. period.

personally, if you want sportbike and can restrain yourself...look into the cbr600/fzr600. otoh many will recommend the ex500 as the beginner bike.

the key is to look around for awhile. you *will* find the person who is selling the ultra low-mileage bike for a steal. that's how to get your money's worth. also, get insurance quotes before you purchase the bike!!!

btw, when referring to the r6, people usually don't use yzf. that implies the yzf600r which is a laid-back streetable version of the r6. (but actually pulls harder than the r6 in the low rpm's)

good luck!

[This message has been edited by Ithrynn (edited 04-20-2001).]
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Mon Apr 23, 2001 12:19 pm

Weeeeee A post that actually makes me grin!

I currently own/ride a YZF600R that I bought a few years back. My sweet little red crotch rocket, goes fast enough to scare the crapper out of me but still not fast enough for my liking. I dont drive a car let alone have a car licence. 2 wheel or walk!

http://members.tripod.com/%7EJasix/garage/bike.htm

Site not been worked on in years is a bit crappy but has a photo of my YZF the day i bought it (Brand new never been started!)

My bike is my theropy, I ride way to fast but have still got my licence, I'm just lucky I guess. If I do get booked is probably going to be a $1000 fine and loss of licence for 3 years or possibly jail...

A few of my mates ride (but not mud) so we head up the mountains every so often for a fang. Some of them are mad bastards!! I'm one of the slower riders. I sort of like to stay alive... Tho I have had my fair share of near misses and close called with logging trucks and dickheads in Volvos.

If I'm not mudding I am usualy riding somewhere, mostly to hang out with my mudding mates. My next bike will probably be a Honda VFR 800. They sound so damn cool!

Though I would really love a brand new YZF600 again, the damn R6 not really have as good an engine as the YZF (top speed means jack shit, is the low down power I want) and it's too uncomfortable with my back injury. R6 handles better but not near as forgiving as the YZF with those wide handle bars.

I've had the little red rocket up to 245km/h (with more wrist to twist) and if you think you need to go faster on a public road your even crazier then I am so therefore you should be commited.

Live to ride, MUD to live!

Zooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!

------------------
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Protector of Clan Prowlingwolf
Koric
Sojourner

Postby Koric » Tue Jul 31, 2001 7:32 pm

Heyas, juss wonderin 'bout this topic again
Any news about the 2002 zx6r's?
Rumors or gossip from the dealership Agr?
Faedril
Sojourner

Postby Faedril » Tue Jul 31, 2001 7:43 pm

Just an item on dropping sport bikes... If you do, hope you have some cash. A good friend of mine just dropped his 2001 R1 while doing some mods. A new mirror and cowl later he was out $400.00. (That is some *really* expensive plastic....)
Xyd
Sojourner

Postby Xyd » Wed Aug 01, 2001 12:38 am

Damn fine advice Ithrynn.

A smaller, _used_ bike is best and safer. Also, avoid the peer pressure to start poppin wheelies right away -- the pressure and taunts start about 30ms after you get your license.

BTW, there are also classes that you can take 1 year after you get your license to show you maneuvering on your own bike. Valuable indeed.

.xyd
Liran
Sojourner

Postby Liran » Wed Aug 01, 2001 1:33 pm

Just to add something to the used bike department. I don't recomend it, never trust a salesman. If you don't know alot about motorcycles, take somebody who does with you when you shop.
Before you go, do a little research, find out what that year of that bike is supposed to look like when its new. Look for inconsitancies(sp).
If he tells you its never "been down" you might want to wonder why he paid alot of money for a custom aftermarket paint scheme.
If you point out scratches, he explains that he just tipped it over in the driveway and wasn't at speed. Are the scratches small random marks in the paint or long parallel gauges(he was going pretty fast).
Ask him to take the fairings off, inspect the frame.

Here's what I did, find a friend or take the safety class, either way get your hands on one to ride and decide for yourself if you are really going to enjoy this and stick with it, or too risky and scary. Be honest with yourself and if you decide to do it, buy new. I don't know about you, but my life is worth too much to trust some yayhoo standing in his driveway trying to unload his ride on you for a few quick'n easy bucks.
You will pay more up front, but with it you get a warranty, possibly a service contract, and FREE GEAR! Motorcycle dealerships make all their money on the bikes, not the eq. Bargain with them, ask for free gloves and 100 bucks off the helmet, see what they say.
Its better than the other dude selling his old sweaty helmet and jacket which probably wont fit anyways.

Think of it this way, if a car has a shimmy in it on the highway, big deal, get your alignment done. You dont want "just a little wobble" on two wheels caued by a bent/cracked frame or wheel.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”