Anon?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Dinggle
Sojourner

Anon?

Postby Dinggle » Sat Sep 08, 2001 7:44 am

The Officer's Quarters
Exits: -S -W#
Splattered droplets of blood cover the area.
Corpse of a stern officer is lying here.
Corpse of the first mate is lying here.
A well polished steel cutlass rests here.
Rekas (Drow Elf) stands here.
Zerek (Drow Elf) sits resting in mid-air.
Odak (Ogre) stands here.
Sikame (Drow Elf) sits resting.
Azu (Ogre) stands here.

< 362h/362H 120v/120V >
<> who rekas
Listing of Specific Character
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[ Anon ] Rekas (Drow Elf)

< 362h/362H 120v/120V >
<> who zerek
[36 Enchanter ] Zerek (Drow Elf)

< 362h/362H 120v/120V >
<> who odak
[ Anon ] Odak (Ogre)

< 362h/362H 120v/120V >
<> who sikame

You are getting hungry.

< 362h/362H 120v/120V >
<> Listing of Specific Character
[ Anon ] Sikame (Drow Elf)

< 362h/362H 120v/120V >
<> who azu
[ Anon ] Azu (Ogre)

< 362h/362H 120v/120V >
<>

can someone please tell me why so many unknown but nearly 40 people are always anon? i mean i can understand if you went anon after 44 cause of tellspam, but to be anon from level 11, with the primary folks who lead never seeing or hearing of you, then when you get 41 going un-anon...i mean do you guys really expect a ton of tells to zone when no one knows you?

hell i been zoning since level 34! mainly because i'm never anon and because of THAT i've met a LOT of the core evils. Perhaps all these anons were once goodies...how do you plan to integrate into the already existing evil circles if you stay anon? While it may seem like the core and old school evils have something against folks who were once goodies, they really dont if you are a good player. i was a goodie warrior for 6 years before deciding i needed a change and i'd like to think i've been accepted by the 'big dawgs'(tm). i think cherzra really only leader i havent grouped with but that's more to do with time online than anything else.

someone explain this to me, it makes NO SENSE.

Teyaha

[This message has been edited by Dinggle (edited 09-08-2001).]
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Sep 08, 2001 3:24 pm

Perhaps they don't want to integrate with the core group of evils. Perhaps a lot of them are friends who know who their evil allies are and want to group with just them. Perhaps they want to start a secondary evil 'core'.

Yayaril
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Sat Sep 08, 2001 7:52 pm

Yeah I've seen that particular group before... and there are a few more anons that run with that crowd also. Thier leader knows his way around the mud.. and they are all friends that don't really wanna be bothered with everyone else it seems. They are all cool people from what I have seen.. and maybe in thier place I might do the same thing and enjoy the mud soley with my friends.. but probably not since I would out play all my friends and like to zone too much.

-Jaznolg
gnerble
Sojourner

Postby gnerble » Sun Sep 09, 2001 3:45 am

This isn't an Evil phenom either. It could be the same goodie group =)
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Sun Sep 09, 2001 5:25 am

i can understand the desire to play with the same group of people all the time. essentially, less chance of wipeout due to dopey mistakes if everyone knows how each other play..

my question though is that, because it's unlikely that they have enough depth by way of a class mix to do anything without help from the rest of us, what do they hope to accomplish by alienating the rest of the community?

the biggest draw to this game is the people you can meet. i personally believe the anon command should be limited to those level 41 and above as this type of segregation, as there can truly be no other word for it, will lead to conflict..just like in the REAL world.

and it's not like they are just anon..they are anon, tog tells and when they do have tells on and you ask them class and level so you can see if you got room for them in group you putting together you get ignored.

think about that a bit, and then think about the state of the world we live in....crappy.

[This message has been edited by Dinggle (edited 09-09-2001).]
Galorion
Sojourner

Postby Galorion » Sun Sep 09, 2001 3:10 pm

Who cares if they're anon and like to keep to themselves? As long as they're not actively being jerks to other players just live and let live man.
ShadSteph
Sojourner

Postby ShadSteph » Sun Sep 09, 2001 4:15 pm

Laugh, who the hell cares? I don't recall reading anywhere in the rules where it's required to play a class that is useful to the zone groups, and/or required that you submit to the needs of the zone groups while online.

If a group of friends wishes to be left alone and do their own thing, who are you/we to stop them?

As far as the reference to RL "problems".. who is worse, the group of people who stays to themselves and has a good time (following all the rules/laws), or the bastard who gets in their face and says "NO, you CAN'T do that!". Have you petitioned for your last name of Stalin, or Hitler yet?

As is my advice to anybody IRL who doesn't know/understand somebody else and their desires or ways: Mind your own damn business and move on. Sheesh.

(Oh, and since it was inevitable: Evils rule, goodies drool! And all the other 6 year old taunts that have previously been thrown back and forth. (This _is_ a goodie vs evil problem, isnt it?? They all are..))
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Sun Sep 09, 2001 6:10 pm

I dont see why its anyones buisness if they are anon an keep to themselves, if they expect help from the other people they have closed themselves off from thats different, but i dont see what your point in even posting this is.
Blung
Sojourner

Postby Blung » Sun Sep 09, 2001 7:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zrax:
I dont see why its anyones buisness if they are anon an keep to themselves, if they expect help from the other people they have closed themselves off from thats different, but i dont see what your point in even posting this is.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, I'm 150% anonymous. There are people that like to show off their level and there are some that doesn't give a shit what the others think about it. So who care. If you see anonymous people. Don't ask them what level they are :P. If they want u to know their level, they WOULD NOT go anonymous. Use your common sense. Er wait, COMMON SENSE IS NOT SO COMMON ANYMORE! .

Blung take no prisoner.
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Sun Sep 09, 2001 8:19 pm

The rest of the poster missed the point, as usual.

There was a situation i ran across a few weeks ago with a warrior. he had been anon from 11-41. he turned off anon at 41 and started complaining that no one would take him zoning.....

my POINT is that if you are going to be anon like this, dont expect the folks who are zoning all the time to take you anywhere just cause you mysteriously show up on the who lists one day.

blung is always anon, but everyone KNOWS BLUNG! that's a big difference.
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Sun Sep 09, 2001 8:27 pm

oh and shadsteph, who's your evil? i dont want to group with anyone who calls me hitler or stalin.

and it wasnt a goodie vs. evil post. please read the very very first post in this thread. then read the third one that says it's not just an evil problem....
ShadSteph
Sojourner

Postby ShadSteph » Sun Sep 09, 2001 10:33 pm

See, the entire problem comes in with TONE. If your intention is to help those who are anon, and don't realize the impact it could have on their future zoning levels.. by all means, take a helpful tone and point out the problem. If you use a belittling tone, you usually give the wrong impression, and are largely ignored.

In answer to the question.. Blung was anon because everybody knows him, so its ok? Perhaps all the anon people in your post are core players too.. just because you don't konw them doesn't mean nobody does.

My character is Anon - feel free to ungroup whenever you wish (thats your right) If/when I decide to remove Anon, i'll be sure to ask your help getting me into zone groups though.
(Feel safe though - we are rarely on at the same time)

Btw, didn't mean to hit a bad nerve with the Hitler comment. You asked us to consider the implications that segregation "like this" have had in the Real World (not to be confused with that MTV fiasco) and Hitler came immediately to my mind. If he had minded his own business regarding people who are a little different... perhaps...(And of course, that was based completely off your tone, not the hidden intention of the post)

As far as this being a goodie vs evil thread.. I do hereby vow to never again attempt sarcasm on a BBS, to lighten the mood of a post. It has failed every single time (I must not be good at it? *sighs*)

"Can't we all just get along?"
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Sun Sep 09, 2001 11:47 pm

But but they don't want to keep to themselves. I have gotten ress requests from them. Those anon people do want to integrate. So I think Teyaha's post means something =)

Yssilk
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Mon Sep 10, 2001 4:34 am

i used to run around anon, but purely for the sake of role play, i do not where a lable nor would you know i was about unless you ran into me on the street.
i have since togged it off for the sake of grouping convienence.
this has brought both more group requests and questions from newbies, both i would say are good things, the player base sucks, helping the newbies not only makes them feel welcome, it encourages them to learn the game and become better players.
i too wish less would tog anon if merly for the sake of forming a good group, if i dont know you are on i cant ask you to join us in whut we are doing, but to each their own.
as for asking your class and level i will do so if you ask to join my group, and i may ask your capabilities if i am looking for say a good healer, nuker, etc... and the easiest way for me to know what you can do is to know your class and level, though i would agree these questions can become old and seem rude
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Mon Sep 10, 2001 4:36 am

i think the who list should include anon char less their class and level
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Sep 10, 2001 5:23 am

Let's see... Evil's core. Put it this way.. If you are not asked to group my Lazzraxxum when he's on, then you're not in the core.

And I only ask people from the same group when I lead.

I can't name many real evils that are anon. Blung, Baldorak and Edak are about the only ones that spring to mind.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Sep 10, 2001 10:52 am

Sometimes I anon when I am telneting at work, or am working in another window so that I don't accidently ignore people who send me tells Image..jut thought I'd add that hehe.

PS Oh for the old AFK tog...I mean, really, why would you sit there watching your warrior regen hits or through a mem?
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:33 pm

The only time I go anon is if I'm on at work, since I'm afk a lot, and usually just preserving people.
Ubek
Sojourner

Postby Ubek » Mon Sep 10, 2001 9:58 pm

I anon because I can't always zone. No matter how much I used to, I bet yer a meeting comes up when a good zone group gets together. It's a waste of my time and many others if I un anon and strive to become a core evil, heh what a drag.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Sep 10, 2001 10:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ShadSteph:
<B>Laugh, who the hell cares?
(Oh, and since it was inevitable: Evils rule, goodies drool! And all the other 6 year old taunts that have previously been thrown back and forth. (This _is_ a goodie vs evil problem, isnt it?? They all are..))

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it is not, as mentioned by Gnerble. I have run across a group of goodies with autogen names, all of whom were anon. They were pretty polite, tho, so I have no complaint to register about this practice. Just like trade embargoes, this probably hurts the anon person a little more than it hurts anyone else.

Friendly neighborhood barker,
Mori
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Mon Sep 10, 2001 11:02 pm

Sarcasm is for the elites. if u a newbie no sarcasm for u! u gotta do your time. follow along some elite core evil folks and watch how they response to tells.

example:
Cherzra say's 'NO AREA!!'. The newbies wouldnt prolly cast an area spell. *beep* mistake # 1, always do opposite of what Cherzra say. After group is over, he will send you a "Hey that's a pretty funny thing you did." Thus, resulting in more invites to join his group.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Sep 11, 2001 3:25 am

Sok, you crack me up.

- Ragorn

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”