Another article

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Mon Oct 08, 2001 9:01 pm

I group with on a regular basis easily 30+ "regulars" . . .

I also interact/group with almost everyone on that list. Image

I think the mud's status is perfectly healthy and I know it is more or less docile compared to previous incarnations of the mud.

Dornax
Jurdex
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Mon Oct 08, 2001 9:06 pm

This in response to the 49the post on previous page about there being 90 +/- 25 players in groups. Leaving the remaining few out.
After looking at the stats page I noticed that the average NO. of players goes any where from 80 to 90 depending on which frequency you look at, I'd say it looks like everyone is getting groups.
And then some!
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Mon Oct 08, 2001 9:57 pm

Sweet I get to be in Lots of Factions. I feeeel so special.

Salen Factionpractice?
Vylare
Sojourner

Postby Vylare » Mon Oct 08, 2001 10:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ruhr:
<B>I've only been back for a week and I can see, contrary to Kris' analysis, that the social dynamic of Sojourn3 is pretty unhealthy.

What is different from the past? Primarily the 15 person group limit restriction.

While seemingly innocuous, this policy has had one transparent consequence: The creation of severely entrenched factions which are unsurprisingly in the neighborhood of 15 players.

From what I've gleaned so far, here are the primary factions:

(1) Folur/Thruar's Faction
(2) Dornax's "the Clique"
(3) Drav's faction
(4) Fendoren's faction
(5) Touk's Faction

That's a total of 75 players +/- 25 camp followers.

Why do the leaders of these factions feel the need to restrict membership to 15? Because of the GROUP SIZE LIMIT.

Where does this leave late comers like myself? Wondering if it's worth leveling a character as things are totally locked up as it stands.

This is NOT the way it used to be.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I also hate the group size limit, I really believe that TO AN EXTENT, this is the way it used to be, at least when the mud has been up for a while. This mud has a lot more societal layers than many people realize, and when there is a goodly percentage of high level players who already have spanky equipment, you're not going to get in a zone group because either you are a hitter and you don't have the required hit/dam, or you're a caster and you don't have enough hp and you'll "hold the group up by dying too much." So you can either decide it's not worth it and not bother, or spend weeks saving enough plat to BUY all the stuff you "need" to zone with. I find the people who have followed the latter route to be THE most "elite" acting, because they have a tendency to think everyone should have to suffer long and hard, because they did.

None of this means that I don't hate the group size limit. I do. But I'd rather have Sojourn with a group size limit, than no Sojourn at all.

And for the record, you left my group off. Its the "Ill-follow-anyone-who-will-take-Jaeli-and-I-somewhere-cool-and-not-get-me-killed-too-much" group Image.

[This message has been edited by Vylare (edited 10-08-2001).]
Kaede
Sojourner

Postby Kaede » Mon Oct 08, 2001 11:16 pm

Hey Ruhr,

Its not like how you describe at all Image. There's definately Folur & Company, and for the most part a core group in The Clique. And truthfully, unless you are a required class for a particular zone, you most likely won't be zoning in either of these groups, if at all.

If there were factions for the remainder of the players, there wouldn't be enough people on at a time to go zoning after above two groups went out. Typically any other leader will take whoever they can get as long as they are around level 40. You might not be well equipped or experienced but as long as you are willing to learn and eager to have fun then you'll most likely join several of these groups, regardless of who's leading.

Its these leaders that I admire most, as they provide fun zoning opportunities to those who would otherwise be left out. They may not know all the zones, but by leading every time they are slowly improving everyone else!

-Kaede
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:20 am

Touk will be glad to hear that he has a faction!
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Oct 09, 2001 1:04 am

Sniff, what about my faction? Oh yah, i forgot, mine is a regime.

Corth
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Tue Oct 09, 2001 2:06 am

So it's all a big joke, eh.

So why are people begging Ragorn to come back if things are perfect?

And why, if you group with everyone Dornax, did you and Gordex rip eachothers' throats out on this thread. You guys go back a long way, as I recall.

But really, now i don't give a shit b/c I deleted my character and quit.

Couple of you were cool to me when I had no reason to expect it: thank you dhurn and jhorr.

-r

[This message has been edited by Ruhr (edited 10-08-2001).]
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Oct 09, 2001 2:33 am

Yeah, Cap'n Touk will be delighted to know he has a faction :P

cackle!

Oddly enough, I group with 3 out of those 5 listed.. dornax, touk, and fendoren.
I guess you could call me a 'core' member or whatever, but thats usually because I'm on when they're zoning.. plus as a resser I'm in high demand. snicker :P
ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Tue Oct 09, 2001 2:43 am

Speaking of which, -flutter-, I have this corpse, Rylan. You can't be all that busy if you are posting, right? Image

Shayla
- Aedyra the Elven Enchantress

PS: j/k! But I am sure I can get a corpse if you miss me Image
Vylare
Sojourner

Postby Vylare » Tue Oct 09, 2001 2:44 am

I wanna faction. Of course, all members of my faction would have to be single, male, and cute:P Oh, wait, that's not a faction..that's something else...heh.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Oct 09, 2001 3:40 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ruhr:
So why are people begging Ragorn to come back if things are perfect? </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because I have the sexiest elven ass this side of Cormyr.

- Ragorn
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Tue Oct 09, 2001 4:46 am

I said almost all of those people you listed!

Why did you delete yourself?

Dornax
Jurdex
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Tue Oct 09, 2001 3:34 pm

After 100hrs I realized that:

1) The people I remember as being my friends, I hardly knew.

2) The game brings out the most negative aspects of my personality (e.g., greed, spite, and rage).

3) The way things are going in our country today, we probably don't have long before: a) an Orwellian police state extinguishes what little remains of our constitutional rights, or b) World War III has already begun.

So, given all this, why waste my time hunched over a keyboard when far more healthy and productive activity can be had in the so called "real world."

[This message has been edited by Ruhr (edited 10-09-2001).]
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Tue Oct 09, 2001 4:11 pm

Ruhr, your sense of humor leaves a lot to be desired.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Oct 11, 2001 12:52 am

<B>After 100hrs I realized that:

1) The people I remember as being my friends, I hardly knew.

2) The game brings out the most negative aspects of my personality (e.g., greed, spite, and rage).

3) The way things are going in our country today, we probably don't have long before: a) an Orwellian police state extinguishes what little remains of our constitutional rights, or b) World War III has already begun.

So, given all this, why waste my time hunched over a keyboard when far more healthy and productive activity can be had in the so called "real world."

[This message has been edited by Ruhr (edited 10-09-2001).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so which one are you rooting for? :P
the police state, or wwIII?

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 13, 2001 5:20 am

<B>So it's all a big joke, eh.

So why are people begging Ragorn to come back if things are perfect?

And why, if you group with everyone Dornax, did you and Gordex rip eachothers' throats out on this thread. You guys go back a long way, as I recall.

But really, now i don't give a shit b/c I deleted my character and quit.

Couple of you were cool to me when I had no reason to expect it: thank you dhurn and jhorr.

-r

[This message has been edited by Ruhr (edited 10-08-2001).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just the fact that you deleted your character and quit speaks volumes to how your opinion should be weighted by those of actually stuck it out and enjoy the game for what it is. Image

-M
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Oct 14, 2001 7:08 pm

Ugh....I can agree with Ruhr on the whole aspect of the MUD bringing out your worst personality traits. It did when I played Yasden....I still haven't finished apologized for the way I treated some peeople during that time. However, I also discovered that a game can only do that if you let it.

Miax's long post was probably the best analysis of the social standing of the MUD I've ever heard...but then again if it weren't for Miax's wisdom we wouldn't be playing Sojourn3. :P

I just hate that people are at each other's throats constantly, fighting over (when you step back and look at it) the stupidest damn things you can imagine. There's nothing wrong with debating over an issue, but when it turns into a pissing contest...that's when you need to stop and relax for a minute.

I've dedicated myself to spending more time focusing my energy into helping others out than wasting it on stupid soap opera crap...and I've gotten a lot out of this. Self-satisfaction, kindness in return, and most importantly of all: knowing I'm helping little folk out and educating them so they become better players, instead of just giving them eq and saying "here ya go, go solo some stuff".

When I played Yasden, I pretty much grouped with anyone and tried to help anyone I could. It wasn't that I disliked the whole "factions" part, but as Miax said it's an important part of society. I just liked being a loner is all. :P But to some people, they feel the need to belong...so a good player like Ragorn gets called out of retirement to the benefit of these folks. Rags is a good guy and a helluva writer (you need to cowrite stuff with me, we could be unstoppable! :P), but people can't rely on one person to take them by the hand and do everything for them....there's thousands upon thousands of rooms to explore, many we all know well, many none of us have ever seen before....

I'll shut up now, this is turning more long-winded than I had intended it to be. I just hope people can understand that the game carries all the same societal aspects as real life because of the fact that REAL people are playing right next to you. When you understand that, you understand why some people are brilliant leaders, and some people are utter jackasses (like me! *nog me*).

Targsk/Yasden

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”