question for Cyric/other staff

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
cherzra
Sojourner

question for Cyric/other staff

Postby cherzra » Thu Feb 22, 2001 6:35 pm

Cyric I have a question.

Will items that come from 'big' zones be more worthwile?

For example, the weapons from jot: the gleaming mithril axe used to be a nice weapon, but it was downgraded to 4d3 +2 +2 last wipe. Which -let's be honest- really really sucks, and nobody EVER used them anymore. Another example: Thrym's axe. A _two_handed weapon from a BIG mob in a big zone... then it has the stats 3d8! And proc cone of cold 1/x day! That's really sad Image At least make the proc random again, like 5% chance on a hit..

I just hate to see eq from nice zones which is hard to get, be so crappy....

Does it really hurt the mud that much to make them what they were before, and all other weapons/hitter eq?

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 02-22-2001).]
thruar
Sojourner

Postby thruar » Thu Feb 22, 2001 8:36 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>Cyric I have a question.

Will items that come from 'big' zones be more worthwile?

For example, the weapons from jot: the gleaming mithril axe used to be a nice weapon, but it was downgraded to 4d3 +2 +2 last wipe. Which -let's be honest- really really sucks, and nobody EVER used them anymore. Another example: Thrym's axe. A _two_handed weapon from a BIG mob in a big zone... then it has the stats 3d8! And proc cone of cold 1/x day! That's really sad Image At least make the proc random again, like 5% chance on a hit..

I just hate to see eq from nice zones which is hard to get, be so crappy....

Does it really hurt the mud that much to make them what they were before, and all other weapons/hitter eq?

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 02-22-2001).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I liked the idea frostbite get the procing % back instead of 1/day. Jot is not that hard, it's easy enough after 6-9 months after wipe.
I always thought there were too many good eq in 1 zone like Jot... probably what started the mud imbalance as well.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Feb 22, 2001 8:52 pm

Addendum to my post, Cyric I don't mean to add haste to items or anything like that, just to make the hard to get items from zones like jot better than dark steel weapons or random low level zone / shop crap... gleaming mithril axe / mithril broadsword etc should be a step up from 'normal' items.
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Fri Feb 23, 2001 12:18 am

You're right in that difficult to acquire items should be nicer than easy to acquire items, but as someone pointed out, zones like Jot had over 20 "best in game" items which is totally nuts. So we decided initially on a max hit/dam limit and went from there, looking at about 1,600 items by hand!

Yep, I'm sure we messed some up, and we were sloooooooowly changing some, but for zones like Jot, I just can't bring up all the old big items to what they were...gotta pick and choose. That also explains why I was race/class/sex restricting items...if I make a stupendous item male dorf only, then I can create another item for another zone for another race/class combo...frees my hand a bit in zone creation. Your proc idea is a good one, and I'm going to approach this on a case-by-case basis after we reopen...kinda busy with other stuff at present, but my goal is to make the equipment worthwhile, balanced, but not Monty Hall.

R
Koric
Sojourner

Postby Koric » Fri Feb 23, 2001 1:13 am

Off the topic of jot but'd just like to support restricts on more equip.. simply put, i'd think it more worthwhile to go through a tough fight for a spiffy item i can't use than an item that no one WOULD use.. also it'd add more variations in eq sets post 50
Bibbe
Sojourner

Postby Bibbe » Mon Feb 26, 2001 10:33 pm

Gotta love it when bity was haste and nobits

i remember levelleing a druid with it .. mmMMmm hehe..
Faedril
Sojourner

Postby Faedril » Tue Feb 27, 2001 2:05 am

Don't forget us leetle elven warriors! (Dang Rangers got all the cool stuffs!)
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Feb 27, 2001 2:41 am

Faed!!!

Mal <--- Kelwynne

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”