Rare Camping

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Gormal
Sojourner

Rare Camping

Postby Gormal » Mon Nov 19, 2001 2:57 am

I've heard gods talk about punishing players for this alot. Even that time Kia globaled about camping the lava elemental.

I still get reports about high level players camping rares.... and I've yet to hear of a punishment more severe then a warning. Maybe its just been done quietly....but i think i'd hear about it due to who some of the player's i've heard doing it are.

This is pretty sad imo... if theres a set rule and the god's have ackowledged it then it needs to be enforced...run for your rares like the honest players. Being cheesy is just greedy and stupid and screws other people over.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 19, 2001 3:31 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
<B>I've heard gods talk about punishing players for this alot. Even that time Kia globaled about camping the lava elemental.

I still get reports about high level players camping rares.... and I've yet to hear of a punishment more severe then a warning. Maybe its just been done quietly....but i think i'd hear about it due to who some of the player's i've heard doing it are.

This is pretty sad imo... if theres a set rule and the god's have ackowledged it then it needs to be enforced...run for your rares like the honest players. Being cheesy is just greedy and stupid and screws other people over. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are certain rares/equip that people tend to camp. If they are in that zone, they are camping. If they camp out of the zone but close, they are not. Most people know that. Typically what someone calls a "camper" is someone who consistently is seen in the area, but is not breaking any rules. We do watch it and warn those who break the rules. I personally have not caught anyone twice, thus nothing more than warnings have been given.

Erevan
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:24 am

Think about that gormal. so no one should be able to get sandstorm mask unless your a dwarf and always rent or recall to mh? How about zog, evils gonna get exclusive reign on him because there no way in hell a goodie can run there before an evil...(suppose they could rent in vipers tongue, but what reason to rent in vipers tongue unless they camping zog?). how about folks who rent in gh, are they camping runed mithril bracelet or just staying close to their exp?

camping is something that cant really be defined by rules and when you cant clearly define something it makes it hard to enforce. how would you define camping? having more than 1, 2, 5 (assuming you dont pass it off to other chars)? doing it more than 25% of the reboots? 50%? camping in the zone, 1 room from the zone, in the room, the nearest inn to the mob? when you cant get eq x even though youve been trying for y days? when a single player can kill mob x, 2 players, 3 in 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 2 hours? shall we load all players at dk fountain or waterdeep? depending on their race? shall we punish all folks for the offences of a few folks?

lets talk about fair. how about the player who never gets invited to zone but can do one small piece of eq and sell it to get top end gear? is he camping? does it make any difference why hes doing it, for personal gain to sell, to give to friends/guild members. is that any more unfair than not have any friends to take him zoning for top end gear? it seems fair to me that whomever can get there and do it first does it. that is how zones and rare rules are stated, is it really any different for any piece of eq?

the gods have the right approach, if they find someone they suspect, warn em and log it. if they get a second warning do a good investigation and take logical action. please dont ever take us back to the times when players had no rights/recourse and were deleted for the minorest of offences. you might find yourself innocent and on the wrong side of the law.

only things i could think of to take a stab solving this situation is is log the first time a mob dies for the first 2 hours of every boot and who killed it or dont load eq at boot do it randomly. loading everyone at wd/dk would also be an interesting method.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Mon Nov 19, 2001 7:37 am

i say we kill them all and let the god's sort them out. on that note i want to report some goodies who have been camping on tiny silver rings. they camp out in wd and right after it boots bam run there. god's u should delete them and make them play evils as punishment. dont worry gormal. i got your back!
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Nov 19, 2001 8:02 am

Sandstorm mask doesn't load in IC anymore.. hasn't for two wipes.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Nov 19, 2001 10:32 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
Sandstorm mask doesn't load in IC anymore.. hasn't for two wipes.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually it did load in ic early in Soj2 Image
Kalthanan
Sojourner

Postby Kalthanan » Mon Nov 19, 2001 10:45 am

feh, i freely admit that i'm an eq camper. i always camp near that troll condom that sok twinks every boot in vain attempts that he will let me group with him.

so far he asked me to group only once, and that was only a tease because he ran off after he offered.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Nov 19, 2001 11:41 am

Kiryan I'm talking about people popping ON rareload mobs. (x player enters the game) as a group is sitting on him prepping. Renting in viperstongue is not camping...thats a viable place to rent. dwarves have best access to mines? hardly. Any goodie can rent in mh if they so choose. Spine I wouldnt considerer a twinky room to camp in.

camping IS clearly defined by the rules..Note: It is ILLEGAL to camp near or at equipment "repop" sites for the
purpose of getting the equipment if the game should crash.

sounds clear enough to me. Gods have enough wisdom to decide whos being twinky and whos honestly just camping. What all this crap about having 1 2 5? you can get as many rares as you want as long as you aren't camping on the eq...i mean the word camping quite literally. You obviously missed that completely.

You are talking about renting in towns and such...I'm not. and i've seen goodies run from wd to zog plenty of times.

The gods can look and see who loads where and such...they know whos camped at eq sites....i'd bet good money they'd find some old players who know the rules well there. Shrug I think the rules are fine and I think things popping at boot is fine...just seeing 100 people with slaps on the wrist for something that they knew was breaking a rule...just take the item from them at least. Thats a good enough warning...they are no worse off and they will actually lose something.
Tuga
Sojourner

Postby Tuga » Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:16 pm

IHMO there is only one solution to this problem. Implement rares so they can pop in different zones other than just one same zone.

Two main things will happen.

1. No more camping near zone where it pops, which for me should be illegal too.

2. It will give a chance to peeps that dont know where a rare pops to actually find that rare.

You could do this by instead of having 1 single zone in the mob file, to have a list of zones and then randomize it.

Enjoy
Tuga the Sunless Troll
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:38 pm

I used to camp in global distribution rooms (for Tuga, this system already exists) or in rooms near or on a rare I would need to talk to. It never really occurred to me that this was rare camping, as I never intended to kill said mob, just talk to it. I did this a lot, but no one ever talked to me or even issued a warning..

-Todrael
Tuga
Sojourner

Postby Tuga » Mon Nov 19, 2001 1:10 pm

If the system exists why the hell isnt it being used?

Rares like Zog or GC rares or EM rares or IC rares, which are the ones i know pop alwayz in the same zone. But this little gnome alwayz rent in WD so by the time it takes his little legs to walk or his little arms to flap, all these are either taken or dead.

Enjoy
Tuga the Sunless Troll
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Nov 19, 2001 2:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tuga:
<B>IHMO there is only one solution to this problem. Implement rares so they can pop in different zones other than just one same zone.

Two main things will happen.

1. No more camping near zone where it pops, which for me should be illegal too.

2. It will give a chance to peeps that dont know where a rare pops to actually find that rare.

You could do this by instead of having 1 single zone in the mob file, to have a list of zones and then randomize it.

Enjoy
Tuga the Sunless Troll</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The mob file doesn't store the zone, the room stores the mob that will load into it. It's still possible, and actually implemented. I'd guess the mob loads in some room players can't get to then a script moves it to a random location in the world...

However some rares are meant to be part of a zone. It just wouldn't make sense if the royal family in Drulak popped in KV...

I still think some system of random loading times needs to be implemented. Everything being available only once and right after a boot is what's causing the problem really. You couldn't camp on a piece of eq if you didn't know when it was going to load... well you could, but you would need a LOT more patience. Image

Sarvis
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Nov 19, 2001 2:33 pm

What never ceased to amaze me is that some people could go so far as to level characters specifically for the purpose of leaving them at key locations. I'll never understand why in the world somebody wants to invest that much of their time and life into a line of text.

What the heck am I talking about? Somebody else explain to me how this works, because I'm sort of clueless. They log their character in at boot, then LD... no camping. Now don't they have to walk away from the mud for, what... ten minutes after that? What's the point of that? I wouldn't mention it if I hadn't seen it on occasions too numerous for it to be sheer coincidence. I just don't understand the logic behind it.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Nov 19, 2001 2:57 pm

Heh.. they probably just do something else during that 10 minutes. Maybe they are at work or soemthing, or playing playstation and just want to have their chars in place. *shrug* It sucks, but it's understandable...
Tuga
Sojourner

Postby Tuga » Mon Nov 19, 2001 3:35 pm

Sarvis,

Are you saying the King of Drulak never leaves his castle!
What a boring life being a mob Image

Why couldnt you make it visit say Ana in the grove or such thing like that? Actually would make alot more fun.

Tuga the Sunless Troll
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Nov 19, 2001 3:52 pm

Hrm... I wonder if I'm even thinking of the right zone name. It's that ancient ruins underneath the one forest... heh. (I'm sure that narrows it down a lot. Image ) Anyways, the king is dead Tuga, his ghost haunts the ruins occasionally. Generally he's not going to go off and haunt Ana's grove for a vacation or something one day... heh.

Sarvis
Tuga
Sojourner

Postby Tuga » Mon Nov 19, 2001 4:28 pm

Well I was just picking on your idea Sarvis but I'm sure you got my meaning. And if the king is a ghost make it pop in the dead grove occasionally. that wouldnt be too out plot then.

But I'm sure that for 90% of rares the idea of loading them in ramdom zone should be ok. Only those that camp at rares will oppose it and flame it away as a bad subject Image

And yes you are rite, zones contain the mob number, therefore the loading of rares should have to be implemented differently, like at after all zones been loaded.
If Shevy letz me*wink* I'll could do it for him just to stop all the rare campers. coz i'm sure he has too many other things more important to implement.

Rare camping is just annoying and so i dont see it makin top of TODO list.

Tuga the Sunless Troll
zipalodok
Sojourner

Postby zipalodok » Mon Nov 19, 2001 8:07 pm

i think the gods warning people that do it is dumb for the simple fact when you roll a chracter it tells you to read the rules and such which should be your WARNING it seemed pretty clear to me, and anyone thats smart is always gonna play dumb what else can they do besides admit it?
the only thing i came to was that how in the hell they gonna watch every person online and i have camped on eq and got busted and lost all my EQ, i dont think its fair they get a warning, when a lvl 30 plus doesnt know about campin on EQ is just silly of course they know, so in other words i tested the gods ability to scan mortals and got my punishment and been very so much following the rules now, i mean when i play my alt and people in group i'm in die sure i get asked to bring zipa out to res but i say no Image
but thats the main thing people know there camping on EQ and is againt rules they just think this is like anyother BBS where such rules wont apply, and mucho PROPS on the excellent multiplay system ya got, other bbs's got crap ones....
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Tue Nov 20, 2001 3:20 am

it's easy to see who's camping what...

1) when you log in imms see who logged in and in what room/room vnum

2) i like the wandering of rares. there are a LOT of rares that could wander just from the ic zone alone.

until the children grow up and realize they dont need two of every rare in the game this will not stop, and the constant complaining about it just stirs up the resentment again.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Nov 23, 2001 4:42 pm

I used to run from WD to desert to check Zog, found yasmine 3 times in 3 months this way (2 for myself, 1 for someone's quest). I don't even rent/camp close near to any rare I'm searching....if I wanna run, I'll run. Sure, DK is close to desert now, but WD is close to GC/Foggy/IC....rares cause more problems on this game than anything else it seems =/.

Deathmagnet

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”