small peeve

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
cherzra
Sojourner

small peeve

Postby cherzra » Tue Dec 11, 2001 7:32 pm

< 968h/968H 141v/141V> help lastname illithid
"LASTNAME ILLITHID" "LASTNAMES ILLITHID"

Illithids do not bother with last names, they see no purpose for them,
and as such, do not use them.

See also: NAMES, "NAMES ILLITHID", "LAST NAMES"

< 968h/968H 141v/141V> who illithid
Listing of the Staff
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
<None>

There are 0 visible staff member(s) on.

Listing of the Mortals!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[26 Psi] Zazilinas Braindrinker (Illithid)

Do they get last names now? It even sounds like a troll or ogre, not a highly civilized telepathic being...
Dibble
Sojourner

Postby Dibble » Tue Dec 11, 2001 8:05 pm

Well I don't think that this place is really geared towards a roleplay environemt and i think the staff of SOJ3 has the attitude to just let everyone do their thing. That being said it is pretty funny to think of a highly intelligent/evovled being with a descriptive last name like that Image

Dibble SandwichEater.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 11, 2001 8:12 pm

Warning: As one of the six evil races on Sojourn, trolls are
extremely difficult to play and face many hardships. Their hometown
has been specifically designed to make life hell, and death waits
around every corner. Trolls will most certainly encounter situations
that would be deemed "unfair" to any of the non-evil races. We did
this to create a new challenge for those advances players who have
"beaten" the challenge of life on the surface world and are looking
for something more difficult. You should NOT play a troll unless you
are a *very* advanced player and are used to the Sojourn style of
MUDding, or are willing to face the hardships without complaint, as it
is NOT easy.

Oh wait, this is the wrong thread isn't it...
Doh

Corth
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Dec 11, 2001 9:27 pm

Is there nobody out there who misses the more intensive roleplay atmosphere Sojourn used to have?

Ashiwi sniffles and begins to croon softly, "Where have all the elves gone, long time passing, where have all the elves gone, long time ago..."
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Dec 11, 2001 9:33 pm

Can I have this for lastname.

Jegzed AssKicker
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Wed Dec 12, 2001 12:59 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jegzed:
<B>Can I have this for lastname.

Jegzed AssKicker</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if you use a hyphen. a drow would be Ass-Kicker, not AssKicker.

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Wed Dec 12, 2001 1:30 am

I got yelled at for complaining about Saga as a first name, so I guess I have to wonder about Braindrinker for a last name.

Of course I want Rescuepractice, so maybe I should cope with Braindrinker and just petition for it.

And while we are on it, could I have it with a good story of how Goram always called me that?

[This message has been edited by Salen (edited 12-11-2001).]
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Wed Dec 12, 2001 3:02 am

name approval is subjective.

remember gantoris?

he claims he picked that name BEFORE Kevin J. Anderson's books were published.

my original hard cover editions of the Jedi Academy Trilogy are dated 1993.

there are a TON of names i see from movies, books, tv, video games (LOTS of video games) but you just cant be anal about so many of them or you will in some way stifle the creative process.

sometimes it's easier for people to build on someone else's creativity than to start from scratch.

ie. my assassin narial

Arial from little mermaid with an N

sounded cool to me. :P
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Dec 12, 2001 4:58 am

I've still never read Lord of the Rings.

It's unfortunate that the name I selected is similar to the name of a famous ranger from that series.

- Ragorn
Abue
Sojourner

Postby Abue » Wed Dec 12, 2001 1:26 pm

Peronsonally I think they should lighten up on names. Keep a standard but lighten up at the same time. It is silly now. Originally I rolled a necromancer and tried to get Abue as a name. It denied. I picked a random name and asked the imms to give me Abue. They did. At the beginning of the month I deleted that necromancer and rolled an Illusionist. I asked for the name Abue. Was denied and was told to pick a random name. I did. I found one that was very close to Hotdog. I chose it to get the attention of an imm. It worked. They said pick a new name. I said Abue so they gave it to me. Heeh. if they were not so silly about names Id have had that to begin with. Abue is a nice name with some personal history attacked to it. Another thing. I tried a name that I had used on sojourn II which really sucked to try and get a name approved. They denied that to. They should lighten up. Why should you have to close your eyes and randomly hit keys on the keyboard to get a name approved? Those random generated names to are half the time silly and unacceptable even by a loose standard.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Wed Dec 12, 2001 4:22 pm

Tee hee hee! An illusionist named Hotdog.

- Grungar "There is no Oscar Meyer" Forgefire
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Wed Dec 12, 2001 4:35 pm

*Punt*
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Dec 12, 2001 5:50 pm

Downgrade Hotdog?!
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed Dec 12, 2001 5:57 pm

Role Play will only come back to SOJOURN if Mystra comes back to Sojourn. No other god can get people to get back into character than her. Her strict rules kept all the shitty names crappy last names and silly stupid guilds out of Sojourn. ALAS, now it is a place of powermudders and the Doom, Duke Nukem generation. Enjoy.

Ilshad
Nida
Sojourner

Postby Nida » Wed Dec 12, 2001 6:42 pm

Being anal about rules doesn't foster roleplay. It fosters desertion. Players are the ones who engender roleplay. You want to RP, put the tag up and actually use it. Most people probably won't respond to it, but there are enough of us on here who do that it'll be worth it. Being forced to do anything is no fun for anyone.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed Dec 12, 2001 7:21 pm

No one can force you to role play.

I am talking about stupid names and last names that do not follow the roleplaying environment, and you need rules for that, or just label this game another nonsense DIKU mud. Yeah the gods won't let people be named beavis and stuff like that, but they have let several names slip by that do not follow the race they play, or are not located in books ect.

Ilshad

[This message has been edited by Ilshadrial (edited 12-12-2001).]
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Dec 12, 2001 7:31 pm

Wow, one silly name and the whole MUD is going to hell in a handbasket! Might as well just shut down now Image

Heh.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Dec 12, 2001 7:36 pm

I dunno.. the vasy majority of names out there I think are fine.
Yeah.. maybe a couple slipped by.. no reason to have a fit about it Image
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Dec 12, 2001 8:20 pm

Inputting my 2 cents.

I hated the strict rules. It made it less fun. It made me not want to play Sojourn, so I didn't. They made my life stupidly difficult, and with constant fear of looking over my shoulder.

Not everyone was close friends with the immortals back then. If you weren't, and even if you were, you had to really watch your mouth(on a level I found absurd), because you might have been snooped and deleted because you caught someone on a bad day.

That said... Sojourn3 is a much better mud, imo. The gods and forgers are doing a spectacular job. Not perfect, but by god better than just about any admins of a free game I have ever seen. We knock them, but they do do a good job.

I've left Sojourn for a time(again, this time it cannot be helped), but rest assured it's not because of the gods or rules.
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Wed Dec 12, 2001 8:32 pm

although a few, mind you a FEW, players got along with mystra during that time, with her at the helm everyone was AFRAID to have an opinion that contradicted her, cause she'd delete and ban you.

i've got nothing against her personally of course, but it wasnt all candy and roses.

dont sweat it shev, i actually like how much more relaxed the aptmosphere is here without letting it dip entirelyinto anarchy
Rastinion
Sojourner

Postby Rastinion » Wed Dec 12, 2001 8:57 pm

Have to agree. I have never played alot but have been around for awhile and remember people disappearing and getting banned for really stupid things.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed Dec 12, 2001 9:49 pm

Blah!

Mystra was the bomb!

She supported RP to the fullest!

Besides, the people that were banned ect deserved it. It kept the shit from floating in the sea of Sojourn!

CACKLE!

Ilshad
Sartorix
Sojourner

Postby Sartorix » Wed Dec 12, 2001 10:08 pm

I agree that the name selection restrictions are much more lax this time around, and I hate it.
An illithid having a last name, especially that one, is just as silly as putting an executioner at the fountain in Waterdeep or some other hometown, and fighting the beastly fidos.
You know what I'm talking about. When that stuff starts to slip, the mud is getting closer and closer to the cut and paste muds out there.
And don't even get me started on association titles. Come on, some of these are just absurd. It's so ridiculous to see so many self righteous, I'm the fucking coolest person in Faerun, titles. How bad ass do you really think you are if it takes you and fourteen of your closest friends to kill a single badass?
Sorry for the tangent.

Sartorix <--->I'm more badass than all you other badasses<---> Fuegerion
or
Disco "Anyone have the speedwalk to the Smurf Village?" Lemonade

[This message has been edited by Sartorix (edited 12-12-2001).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Dec 12, 2001 10:58 pm

Heh, lets remember that the person in question is married to someone who makes a big sacrifice in providing this game to us. No need to bring up questionable things that happened in the past...

Corth
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Dec 12, 2001 11:59 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nida:
Being anal about rules doesn't foster roleplay. It fosters desertion. Players are the ones who engender roleplay. You want to RP, put the tag up and actually use it. Most people probably won't respond to it, but there are enough of us on here who do that it'll be worth it. Being forced to do anything is no fun for anyone.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Beyond my poor power to add or detract."
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Dec 13, 2001 3:46 am

if you want to rp, go ahead, dont force the rest of us to.

mystra did an awesome job at keeping people from cheating. I loved that about her. In her zeal though, I think she went overboard sometimes. Some of us had more fun in sojourn because of her, some of us had a lot of difficulties and setbacks.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu Dec 13, 2001 8:03 am

I agree that some of the silly names make the toril atmosphere less enjoyable. Some of the guild titles are the ones that really irk me however *shrugs*.
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Thu Dec 13, 2001 9:00 am

The reason Squids can't have last names is cause they used up all the fargin' X's in their first names...

The other reason is to have a last name you generally need to know who your parents or ancestors were.. If that was the case we would have a lot of Squids called:
XXXXXXXX Spewbucket
or
XXXXXXXX Madeitoutoftheabortionbucket

Opps lacking too many pointless XXs and ZZ's
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Thu Dec 13, 2001 12:53 pm

Guild titles should be set by the guild leader and follow a theme for the assocation. Special guild titles should require a RP story explaining why they are called what they are.

I know i'll just call myself, Warlord of Destruction or even Beauty Queen! HAHA that about fits into the general theme of Sojourn3 and its path for non-existant RP.

Ilshad
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Dec 13, 2001 1:33 pm

Just wondering.. what was the main point of this thread again? :P
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Dec 13, 2001 2:21 pm

It's all good as long as things don't get too silly. As for guild titles, a lot of the titles have stories, if you bother to find out about them. Then again, a lot of titles probably don't have stories, but just look or sound cool. What's wrong with that, though?

Yayaril
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Dec 13, 2001 3:14 pm

Yaya, I think the point they're trying to make about what's wrong with that is that there's definitely a trend here toward being like many other muds, where anybody can set themselves up with a flashy, super-ansi-ized title for whatever they want it to be. When I was searching for a mud to play one of the first things I did was log in and run a "who." If I saw things like "JaX0r - UltiMaTe TwiNkiE of d00m" I logged right back out and didn't go back.

Nobody wants to do something they're forced to do? Is that what we keep hearing? Do I also keep hearing that Sojourn just isn't the mud it used to be? So correct me if I'm wrong, but nobody would play Sojourn when it was a roleplay game? Nobody?

No, I'm not for "forcing" anybody to roleplay, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who was attracted to this game in the first place because the roleplaying environment was what I was looking for and that's one of the things Sojourn was known and praised for.

As for the names thing, that's all about the environment. The imms provided an excellent roleplay environment previously. Yes, it got taken overboard often, everybody who was there has an idea of what was happening, and nobody wants to go back to using ICQ to chat because the legend goes that one of the IMMS has a program that scans all forms of in-game communications for key words and automatically triggers a snoop when one of those words or sequences of words comes up. I don't know if there's any truth to that, and at this point in time I really don't care, but you can't really equate tactics like that with a roleplay encouraged environment.

Encouraging roleplaying among the playerbase doesn't have to be done with strongarm tactics, there are many other ways to do it. If anybody thinks that having to follow a set of guidelines in name choice is "forcing" anybody to roleplay, you're wrong. What it really does is help to foster Sojourn's image as a rich and colorful environment to play in, the whole experience instead of just another chatroom with flashing ansi. Unless everybody really wants to move Sojourn toward being the kind of mud where you can roll up a squid, give him the name "Supahstudzz," then log in at level 1 and give him the title "BAllz to fuggin' WAll PunKZass."
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Thu Dec 13, 2001 3:41 pm

Just to give my opinion on names/titles...

I prefer names to not be from movies/books that I've seen/read - I remember seeing Marius running around Waterdeep for a while. I felt like I was mudding in an Anne Rice novel. I frankly would rather see Bob and George than Marius.

Titles I feel should follow a guild theme, but that's just my druthers. Everyone has a different idea about what guilds are for. I've always thought of them as organizations with a purpose, but now they're just facilitating grouping I guess?

We could take the titles totally out of associations, since they appear to be meaningless for the most part. If you want a title, you can get one at level 50 as a reward, right? It is distracting enough to just have the association name on there. Also, then it is no fuss no muss for the admins to worry about. After all, how is my character supposed to know from walking into the room that character X is in Z guild and is the guild 'badassmeatshieldfromhell'?

BEST IDEA: How about putting the guild and title on a worn badge? Then if you look you can see it. That would be excellent IMHO.

There, said my peace. Feel free to ignore/agree/disagree as you will Image

[This message has been edited by Vipplin (edited 12-13-2001).]
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Thu Dec 13, 2001 4:20 pm

OMG! That is an excellent idea!

Since badges ARE not suppose to have any REAL stats, how about just giveing them to the members to show they are in the guild and remove all guild titles. That lets people have a title when they get to 50 and write a story.

I like that idea, after all you don't going around blabbing, yeah i am a rider of twlight ect... I know vermilion shadow members would not actiavly annouce yeah i am part of a theives guild under the disguise of a trading company.

Ilshad
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Thu Dec 13, 2001 5:10 pm

Ilshad! Good news I found a time portal back to the early 90's, you can take it back and live in the present for a change. Oh but i bet youll still have plenty to complain about even then.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Dec 13, 2001 5:41 pm

I like titles the way they are now. I never did like the 50's only thing. A lot of people can make names for themselves before they achieve level 50..

Yayaril
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Thu Dec 13, 2001 7:40 pm

Woot! Long post!

Toarn Kegraider
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Thu Dec 13, 2001 7:54 pm

Frankly, I like the idea of no guild titles, just a hyphen and the guild you're a member of.

The titles I see are ridiculous.

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Thu Dec 13, 2001 8:08 pm

Oh grow up loser boy Image There are no time portals. Besides, the early 90's? There was nothing really going on in the early 90's, try like 96 and 97 being the hay days of Toril. Geez. Get IT RIGHT if you going to try and flame me, *grumble*

Anyway, on to more important things:

The guild titles are meaningless in this present day, I swear I am still waiting for the Power Rangers guild.

There are several alternatives to having long spammy meaningless titles, you could use abrevations to denot guilds and add a title to the character after he/she write a story and obtains level 50.

Example:

Folur - Slayer of Giants [DSR]

That is better than:

Blish - Supreme Warrior of Glimmering Swords

----

Anyway its just an idea.

Ilshad
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Thu Dec 13, 2001 8:28 pm

Ilshad,

I am dissapointed, I was hoping for an inspired reply referencing the grand days of yore where the Vermillion Shadows ruled as kings and where people actually cared what you had to say.

Cant you toggle titles off btw?
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Thu Dec 13, 2001 8:53 pm

What if we all wear grass skirts and jump around shouting "I gotsa storay!!! I gotsa storay!!!"?
Oooooorrrr....
Better yet....
Ya'll can have my $0.015 (Inflation... damn the commies...)
How about abbreviations if you're in condensed mode (WHOA!! I'm really goin' out on a limb with that one...)
And as for Guild Titles... I actually kinda like the way they do it on AstroMUD (Notice the kinda in there...) which is where the Guild Leader sets a series of titles, ranging from Neophyte to ahhh... I dunno... Guild Leader? How 'bout that one?
But as you progress in levels, your title would also progress (Yes, I konw... That's 50 titles/person, assuming you let in level 1's...) And then there was also a special set for the guild officers, y'know, like.... ohhh... Mebbe Guild Leader?
<shrug>
That way, people wouldn't have to come up with their own title (Unless they could possibly submit an RP story to their Guild Leader or somethin'), and every level you'd have the joy of a new title... Something to shoot for... Especially if the titles are hidden, and you only see it when you level...

Taegost {STUPER-DRUID(tm)} {Treehuggers Union, Local 187}

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Dec 14, 2001 3:34 am

I agree with the Illithids not having last names, it fits in many many ways. I'm not gonna get my panties in a bunch about it though.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zrax:
<B>Ilshad,

I am dissapointed, I was hoping for an inspired reply referencing the grand days of yore where the Vermillion Shadows ruled as kings and where people actually cared what you had to say.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen.

Look, RP is RP, and for those of us who choose to do it, I don't want to see a bunch of rules restricting you to only "Role-Playing" as set about in certain books. I don't read FR, I find the books childish and poorly written. That's my opinion, and I'm entitled to that, just as you are entitled to your own.

I don't complain about the days of Toril, and how if you weren't well known by the immortals or certain people that had been here forever, you were better off playing somewhere else.

I left for those reasons, and I am back now and having a good time thanx to the relaxed attitudes towards a great many things. I happen to dislike some of the same things you do, but I don't bitch about how it was so much better "back-in-the-day". The fact is this is here and now, and if you want a change now, reference now. The supposed heyday to you was nothing more than an annoyance to some of us.

The minute someone tells me how I should be role-playing a character, because that's the way "it is in a book" or how "they are traditionally seen". That's pointless to someone that wants to play the outcast, or the character that doesn't belong.

This game is based on FR, but I don't see any reason why everything should be held to FR standards. For lord's sake, we have a zone that is extremely popular which is loosely based on Norse Mythology.

RP your way, and we'll RP ours, and let's hope that more stringent rules AREN'T required, and just rely on the better nature of the mudders here.

Twyl Twinshadow/
Tkik Timberwolf

"More rules mean less fun."

[This message has been edited by Tasan (edited 12-13-2001).]
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Dec 14, 2001 4:50 am

Okay, this turned from a discussion on last names to a discussion on titles and associations. Everybody that has posted about it has either liked it or disliked it.
Now, if I remember correctly, when I was in a guild, it was a strict and actually fairly hard thing to put together due to the requirements of a charter that an association must submit, have accepted, know and follow. There were less of them, we had badges, and the only people allowed titles, at least in my clan, were the elders. Otherwise you were either a hunter or a seeker. This made it easier for somebody looking at the who list to tell who was a leader in the clan and who was just a member. The terms and guidelines set forth in the charter had to follow a role-playing theme, and all members had to follow the charter.
Now, has the charter system been removed or just relaxed? I admit, I thought it was cool when only people who RP'd could be in an association. It gave those people recognition that I believe they deserved.
I don't mean any offense to the vast number of people out there who are part of an association and have nice new titles. I guess I just agree with Ilshad on this one.
I don't have any good ideas or even bad ideas on how to clear this up, but as we gain more players, and those players gain prowess on Sojourn, it is undoubtable that many of the mudders who have spent years on this mud are going to have to put up with new changes and new players. It may so happen that there will be a few cliques formed, RP vs non RP. I just hope that it does not cause us to forget why we mud here. We mud for fun, and what is fun for one person may not be fun for another. If all else fails, I am betting that association wars within the arena would be a fun thing to watch.

Vigis -Hunter- Pride of the Sabertooth
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Fri Dec 14, 2001 1:04 pm

Geez, you would think you would know how toggle titles work.

No one is forcing anyone to RP so get off your big fat horse, and grab a freaking clue. No one is telling you how to play, I understand some people have no desire to RP and some people just can't rp, Kurz for example, he knew it, admitted it, and he killed shit. That was great!

But I think there should be a balance and some sacrifices made for those players who want some RP spice asdded to the game.

So why should the game only follwo the path for the players who do not want RP or cannot RP. Why cannot the RP(ers) have a toggle, when you turn RP on, it changes all those lame ass titles into [enter guild name abbv. here]?

Why not? Don't hurt you at all, you can keep on trying to the power mudder/doom slasher player you want, and the RP(s) can enjoy a better environment.

Yeah, I been around for a long time, and no i don't need your filly flames or your bullshit from anyone of you.

Besides, I am trying to give back to this game for all the fun years I have had here, even got my job through the game by meeting all the right people ect...

I just want a better RP environment to those who have the desire to RP.

Ilshad *where is that freaking time portal!" hahaha
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Dec 14, 2001 3:44 pm

I like the idea of the Tog RP type thing where if you're RP, you only see say RP guild titles, and they have to follow a stricter set of rules. When RP is Tog'd off, you see the non-rp guild titles and what not, when tog'd on, you only see RP guild titles, and abbrv for non rp guilds.

I don't have anything against non-rp mudders, but would like the option to not see Zippy ( Wondertwin Twink of Doom and Destruction ) Purple People Eaters

Gort Bearslayer - Elder- Clan Pride of the Sabertooth

Toplack
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri Dec 14, 2001 6:53 pm

Hehee, this is funny because everyone knows Ilshadrial is the worst roleplayer around.

Yayaril
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Dec 15, 2001 1:11 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ilshadrial:
<B>That is better than:

Blish - Supreme Warrior of Glimmering Swords

But... how can you not like swords? Erasam will hear of this treachery.

PS - 8bit theatre, folks.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Dec 15, 2001 1:14 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tasan:
<B>This game is based on FR, but I don't see any reason why everything should be held to FR standards. For lord's sake, we have a zone that is extremely popular which is loosely based on Norse Mythology.

I'm in agreement with your thread, but I just wanted to point out that the zone is based on the FR version of the Norse mythology. That's why it's surtur not surt, etc.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sun Dec 16, 2001 10:51 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
I'm in agreement with your thread, but I just wanted to point out that the zone is based on the FR version of the Norse mythology. That's why it's surtur not surt, etc.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, well then screw whoever wrote it for not being real original. Like I said, I don't read FR for a few reasons, all my own.

As for the supposed RP toggle changes, I'm gonna again ask, why? I've seen a few threads of decent ideas turned down simply because the same thing could be done client-side, and not have to hassle the already overworked and underappreciated coders.

Why should we change the RP toggle to set titles a certain way? One of the biggest arguments for a change seems to lie in the fact that people find silly titles offensive or "childish". That newbies who see these titles may in turn decide that Sojourn is not a place they want to play based on those titles.

Sure those are valid arguments, until you ask yourself a few questions.

1. Would you base how good Sojourn was on your first 1 day of playing here, based also solely on your viewing titles that maybe don't fit in a serious "RP-enviorment"?

2. Is the time needed to make these changes really necessary? A few people I see complain about the lack of RP here, and how they wish it was different, yet we want to change something to satisfy them? Does the end justify the means?

3. Is it all that difficult to just tolerate those people who choose to play for their own reasons, and in their own way? I'm fairly certain that no one tells you what you should or shouldn't see when you walk down the street each day, and I can't imagine why you'd want to do that here.

In all reality: Sure this change might be nice, and may actually foster a sense of responsibility to those who choose to RP "loosely" or who choose to have titles that may be classically defined as innappropriate. My bet is that it would be wasted time for most people.

Granted I could be wrong, but their are not a ton of posts here relating to how much this is a problem, so I don't see how it merits time being spent to fixing it when time can be spent on things that really do benefit the majority.

To sum it up: Yeah, it'd be nice for everyone to adhere to some sorta conduct code which made stupid names/titles a thing of the past, but I personally can get by without a problem, and I can't understand how you cannot just tolerate it as well. The lastnames and titles you judge to be innappropriate might not be deemed that way to everyone.

<sarcasm>
Why don't we have tog RP change the entire game, so that you don't see names of people until you've been introduced to them, and where players can't understand other languages unless they learn them!
</sarcasm>

I play for my enjoyment, others play for theirs; to each their own. I see no reason to place restrictions on the many because a few people have a problem, and I don't see why you can't just do something client-side if you don't like titles.

Twyl

[This message has been edited by Tasan (edited 12-16-2001).]
Lubar
Sojourner

Postby Lubar » Sun Dec 16, 2001 12:35 pm

Squids are being created by the Master Brain (the trainer in Ixarkon). That thing is the source of their intelligence, and knows just about everything about everything. Since squids dont have families or father and mothers, just the Master Brain, they dont have real last names that tell something about their family. Braindrinker as a last name...Hmmm.Maybe Zaz just has it because it's like a small title, like trolls have their "Smash-Skulls". Image

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”