dont want to zone?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
sok
Sojourner

dont want to zone?

Postby sok » Tue Sep 18, 2001 8:45 am

i notice recently that people aren't as excited about zoning as they use to be. over the past couple of weeks it's been like pulling teeth trying to gather a group for something.
example:
me: wanna do brass

another: nah i got everything from there already, i'll come if u do something else

me: we dont really have the people to do another zone

another: call me when u do another zone
---------------------
me: let zone

another: okay, but let me finish running around looking for rares, finishing this quest, doing more xp while u gather group, etc

me: er... consent me for group

another: u got group already?

me: no, but i wanna see who's available

another: get group first
---------------------------
me: wanna do crypt

another: there is nothing i need from there cept maybe 1 item

me: do u wanna zone or not?

another: will i get that one item

me: i dont know yet, i do hand outs

another: why dont u do another zone?

me: forget it.
---------------------
while group:

me: everyone here:

another: i think so&so is afk

me: *sigh*

after 10 minutes

me: okay is everyone back?

another: i think someone else just afk

me: *sigh*
--------------------
these are just some responses i get while trying to gather a group. i think some folks i ask to zone dont want to zone cuz of hand out system. since they have most of the eq from that zone and aren't really gonna get something new they dont wanna go. i remember when folks zone cuz it's the fun thing to do, but i guess if they're not gonna get something it's not worth it. oh.. why the heck are people afk so much. i can understand for exp but u can't robot zones. anyways just venting.
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Tue Sep 18, 2001 9:02 am

heheh you forgot my response :

You: Wanna zone, do brass , crypts etc...

Nilan : I'll do whatever ya like man, I like stab things

heheh more fun stabbin people than sitting around

*licks the blood off his deadly blades and tosses the body of Tyr's holy paladin aside*

Nilan Image
Zhadrak/Dharag
Sojourner

Postby Zhadrak/Dharag » Tue Sep 18, 2001 10:13 am

im with nilan, only i need another 20 levels to zone. hehe
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Tue Sep 18, 2001 10:17 am

Just haven't felt like it lately. Sorry if I seemed flakey about it. OOC discussion seems much more interesting. Besides recent events that are on my mind.. and my interest to learn more about cause and effects.. I think I just getting bored with zoning. I've done the ones that people will lead too many times... and the ones I want to do/explore nobody will lead/follow me for.

On that note.. I have been looking into zone creation. I would like to give something back and help entertain people that may be experiencing the same boredom as me with doing the same zones all the time.

-Jaznolg

[This message has been edited by Jaznolg (edited 09-18-2001).]
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Sep 18, 2001 3:12 pm

I've been stuck at level 38 for a couple months now, dying wholesale. I would be happy to do zones, learn them, and eventually lead them. I know i'm at the low end of zoning, but hey, in just a few more levels, I'll be eligible for gheal, then y'all will just love me.... right...? hehe

Toplack
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue Sep 18, 2001 3:31 pm

It's just not the same mud, sok, and perhaps we're seeing what the hand out system can do to future zoning attempts, especially for those of us still up and coming.

perhaps, if doing a zone where most things you groups already has, do a bidding system instead of a handout system. or switch things up and say 'this time i hand out things based on whatever alts you have over 35.'

shrug

it's just not the same mud. for months now people have been zoning so hardcore that i couldnt even get even three people together to do xp. now lately it's been easier to put xp together both because of new higher level players and because the zoning guys are bored.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Sep 18, 2001 3:36 pm

Jegzed tells you, 'consent' seems to work pretty fine still.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Sep 18, 2001 8:52 pm

NM.

- Ragorn

[This message has been edited by Ragorn (edited 09-19-2001).]
Llwethen
Sojourner

Postby Llwethen » Wed Sep 19, 2001 2:09 pm

Through a random Google search I just discovered Sojourn is back. That final message when I tried to telnet into Sojourn 2 was beyond depressing!

As for not zoning the same thing was happening in EverQuest when I retired couple of months ago. Guild of over 100 people and lucky if you could get a raid of 12 people together.

Give me awhile and I'll zone. I only need 48.5 more levels. Image

------------------
Everquest - 54 Mage (Tribunal)
Sojourn3 - Reincarnated Invoker ( 1/50)
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Thu Sep 20, 2001 8:43 am

Meebbe you need to ask some real L33t players.. heres a tip.. if his name ends with an I begins with an M and has some ish in there... he is probably way leet, and and no matter what his level is im sure he can r0x0r it up on tiamat and stuff Image (or atleast lose some lvls) Image
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Dec 18, 2001 3:44 am

sorry to bump this but I am *seriously* bummed atm.

I probably witnessed 8 groupie deaths today. This on top of having two finals. One of the guys who died a lot said that maybe he should just totally forget about zoning until he gets more levels.

I personally was always of the opinion that eq was especially fun to do... but it seems that levels are really making a difference, and that those of lower level are totally disillusioned if I bring them along. I'm not talking about trying to do jot with level 25's, I'm talking about doing mobs that even con below me and having people die by accident.

what's the current take on levels, death, and zoning small zones?
Nida
Sojourner

Postby Nida » Tue Dec 18, 2001 4:13 am

Tell you what, Mori-- even though I've died 2/3 of the time I've grouped with you, I've always had a blast. Image I think people are too focused on being twinks lately and not into just having fun spanking or getting spanked anymore. Perhaps someone could make new zones with new eq to pique their interests...
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Tue Dec 18, 2001 4:25 am

*ruffle Moritheil*

Yah, don't let it get ya down. Leading ain't easy, and kudos to you for giving it your all. And by my last count, you still have to get me killed.... 583 more times to catch up to Pril. Something like that.

- Grungar "BRING IT ON" Forgefire
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Tue Dec 18, 2001 5:27 am

Recently we were doing Jot for the first time since the changes, and we got spanked on second gatehouse. Was the most fun I've had in jot in a long time, even though I died, I was smiling. Of course, death doesn't mean much when you're at 200% above level 50, but still.

-Todrael
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Tue Dec 18, 2001 8:09 am

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people are unhappy with the direction in which the MUD is going. A lot of people don't like the fact that you need so many people to do most things on the MUD these days. I think you'll find that a lot of people are a lot more anxious to do something if you're about to try something new.
Me: Hey, I have an idea, I think we can do this with 3 people, wanna try?
Person 1: Sure, sounds like fun.
Person 2: Why not?

Me: sweet, it worked.

Person 3: Hrm, needs an upgrade. (j/k)

Covert opperations are much more fun these days IMO.

Glorishan
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Dec 18, 2001 8:31 am

I had more fun doing astral/gith with a nice small group today then i have doing 15man tf. Small = fun.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 18, 2001 9:00 am

Everyone should have an opportunity to take part in the mud. If letting the mud remain fun involves letting small groups do stuff at the expense of large inclusive groups, then the mud should simply be made unfun. Everyone deserves an equal opportunity to enjoy the mud, whether it is fun or whether it isn't!!

Quit complaining and learn how to code or write an area!

Corth
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Dec 18, 2001 1:40 pm

Hey Mori, don't get bummed.. you'll have plenty more spanks :P

But anyway, the smaller zones are really all about a good learning experience... you find out what to do and what not do in certain situations, so that you can avoid nasty things in the big hard zones.

It is tougher at the mid level area, since deaths mean more.. at high lvls people usually stop doing xp and group/zone for fun.
Personally however I thought it rocked to be able to go to some cool places at the mid level area, even if ya get spanked Image
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:06 pm

yuk I agree with Corth

Did I say that!?!?!

*tickle Corth*
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 18, 2001 6:08 pm

Its ok Zoldren, you don't really agree with me..

Corth
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Tue Dec 18, 2001 7:00 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B>sorry to bump this but I am *seriously* bummed atm.

I probably witnessed 8 groupie deaths today. This on top of having two finals. One of the guys who died a lot said that maybe he should just totally forget about zoning until he gets more levels.

I personally was always of the opinion that eq was especially fun to do... but it seems that levels are really making a difference, and that those of lower level are totally disillusioned if I bring them along. I'm not talking about trying to do jot with level 25's, I'm talking about doing mobs that even con below me and having people die by accident.

what's the current take on levels, death, and zoning small zones?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

... I die alot on my own... So, if someone ELSE killed me, I really couldn't complain, because I'd have prolly died anyhoo... And I've never zoned (Been playing for like, 5 or 6 years now, and never zoned... Pathetic!!!)
So, uhhh, if you ever wanna kill me, err, I mean, teach me to zone, I have no problem with that Image

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
Zogur
Sojourner

Postby Zogur » Tue Dec 18, 2001 10:35 pm

Sok! Ask me!

Zog
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Wed Dec 19, 2001 4:25 am

How come none of these "I need some people to zone with me" tells never make it to me?

as 42nd level cleric i spend 1/2 my time sitting in dk preserving corpses and the other 1/2 sitting either in tower or ship doing mindnumbing xp.

Ask and ye shall receive. Image
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Dec 19, 2001 7:23 am

I'd say this must be a mostly evil-race problem, considering the sheer amount of goodies grouped within say... 10 hours of a boot.

Personally I agree w/ the statement that if someone doesn't feel like doing something, ask someone lower level. I see a ton of people who already have nice gear, and don't want to do things because of selfish reasons. Hell there are some people here who take every statement about them seriously, and act like this is real life. Personally I find that sad.

I'm always up for anything, I don't mind dying, I have a ton of fun doing *something* rather than nothing, and I don't bitch and whine about eq. Then again, I don't zone much, perhaps that's the reason.

There's a problem when you group w/ the same people all the time, and you realize they are the type that only play for themselves mostly. You realize real quick that you helped make them way better than counterparts who will do anything to be in a zone, and now you can't have that lesser person do a zone because they don't have the eq to support themselves.

It's a damned hard world out there, for me I take it a day at a time, and with an open mind. There's always something to be done, and somewhere to be conquered.

Twyl Twinshadow (RP)
Tkik Timberwolf (RP)
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Wed Dec 19, 2001 11:48 am

I have fun zoning. I've been to about 5 different zones so far. I'm still learning the ropes. I'll zone for no eq over xp any day. I don't mind dying (nobody like it much) as long as I can get my corpse back Image

Approximate order of preferences currently:

1. Zone for eq
2. Explore new area w/group
3. Zone for no eq
4. XP w/group
5. Explore/Quest solo
6. Carve arrows at fountain while working on aliases and triggers Image
7. XP or skill practice solo

Vadian
Frobakhal
Sojourner

Postby Frobakhal » Wed Dec 19, 2001 9:46 pm

You know me sok, I'd follow you in any zone. I have some of the best zoning experiences in your groups in the past and now. The problem is with handouts, people get what they need then they stop zoning because they have other priorities like working on that long quest or searching for rares. What keeps people interested in the game is the challenge to get what they need. Once all the power players have what they need, they may stay and roll other characters. But from my past experience they will just get bored and gradually loose interest.

I've also tried to get groups together and get similar responses. I miss the days just grouping and hanging with friends doing 5 person groups and what not. Like some people have already mentioned the way the direction the mud is taking with necessity classes into a zone, it makes forming a group all the much more difficult.

Frobakhal.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Dec 23, 2001 10:57 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Baikalisan:
<B>How come none of these "I need some people to zone with me" tells never make it to me?

as 42nd level cleric i spend 1/2 my time sitting in dk preserving corpses and the other 1/2 sitting either in tower or ship doing mindnumbing xp.

Ask and ye shall receive. Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Baik, I always need an fhealer for my wd elite runs. Turns out, I've been looking in the wrong place entirely! You're welcome to join us.
Vylare
Sojourner

Postby Vylare » Mon Dec 24, 2001 12:56 am

Well, it's your choice to do hand outs, and it's people's choice not to follow you if they don't like hand outs. Or maybe people actually like questing better. I like getting on the mud and talking, and it's hard to talk when zoning Image
I am not overly fond of zoning, so I rarely do it. I am a lot more likely to if people do bidding though.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Dec 24, 2001 1:00 am

Thanks for your support guys.

Nida - So, how many more times do you want me to help you get ki.. I mean help you get eq? Image

Grungar - haha pril. Haha. Too bad he hasn't made it back Image I'm reminded of Teflor, the "unkillable ranger" who only died when he was grouped with me.

Rylan and Corth - ah, but you forget that *being* spanked makes it so much easier to *write* spanks. No foreshadowing. Really.

Vadian - where you been, man, we haven't grouped in a whole two weeks or something :P Given the frequency with which we grouped, it's something of a surprise. Heh... we must do vault! *nogme*

Lonamm - I'm always an advocate of Dual Druid Powa! Look me up Image
Ruagh
Sojourner

Postby Ruagh » Mon Dec 24, 2001 1:38 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Everyone should have an opportunity to take part in the mud. If letting the mud remain fun involves letting small groups do stuff at the expense of large inclusive groups, then the mud should simply be made unfun. Everyone deserves an equal opportunity to enjoy the mud, whether it is fun or whether it isn't!!
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hm, I hate to appear bitching once again about numbers, but I have to remind that evils are usually about 3 times less in numbers... Yes, they probably compensate that in skills, but what does all those skills matter when you cant find a stoner (even a non-dedicated stoner like shaman) to zone? With current situation when you CANT zone without full zoning group that means exactly what Cherzra has mentioned in some other thread: "Goodies should not worry. Even if evils will find the rare, they'll be unable to gather a group to do it"

Personally, I disagree with an opinion that only HUGE groups must be able to do something. That makes everything brute-force... and !fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
How come none of these "I need some people to zone with me" tells never make it to me?
Ask and ye shall receive.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was barely 20+ when I started exploring. And if not all those exploration deaths I will be 60th now. It is not the matter of a level. So quit whinning and drop me a tell when you are online and free. All the time when Im asking you "Are you busy?" I got "Sorry, doing some xp right now, cant come". Ask and ye shall receive, as you have said yourself.

BTW: Just for your information. Typed WHO EVIL and WHO GOOD to see how much players are online:

# Your commands will now echo.
who evil
< 683h/683H 144v/144V >
<> Listing of the Staff
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
<None>
There are 0 visible staff member(s) on.
Listing of the Mortals!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[48 Cle] Lucuduzur Grimraider - Usulii - Orbdrin D'oloth (Duergar)
[46 War] Ruagh Wander Alone (Troll) (RP)
There are 2 mortal(s) on.
Total visible players: 2.
Record number of players on this boot: 41.

< 683h/683H 144v/144V >
<> who good
Listing of the Staff
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
<None>
There are 0 visible staff member(s) on.
Listing of the Mortals!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[36 Enc] Snurgt (Gnome) (RP)
[ 7 Rog] Heury (Human)
[44 Nec] Sylvist Syl'Valak (Human)
[44 Cle] Shailar -Mystic of Light- Eternal Covenant (Human)
[28 Sha] Coyok (Barbarian)
[48 War] Daalgar -Foot Soldier- Shadows of Imphras (Dwarf)
[12 Cle] Ronayle (Grey Elf)
[10 Cle] Satrah (Dwarf)
[ 1 Rog] Ashemer (Grey Elf)
[50 Pal] Zaryn Tir'Zrael (Human) (RP)
[45 Enc] Arishae Alastrarra - Seeker - Northern Star (Grey Elf)
[26 Inv] Dromil (Human)
[35 Rog] Cirath (Human)
[45 Enc] Kribble - Seeker - Northern Star (Gnome)
[22 Ill] Rooble (Gnome)
[23 Cle] Ngarang (Dwarf)
[32 War] Kyrh Shadowlynx (Barbarian)
[43 Rog] Keseyil Grabbinhands (Halfling)
[30 Ran] Kallinar Tal'Dallarin (Half-Elf)
There are 19 mortal(s) on.
Total visible players: 19.
Record number of players on this boot: 41

------------------
Ruagh The Curious Troll pokes his long nose into another none-of-his-business matter here

[This message has been edited by Ruagh (edited 12-24-2001).]
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Mon Dec 24, 2001 2:01 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:

Lonamm - I'm always an advocate of Dual Druid Powa! Look me up Image[/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm picking up a new modem this afternoon (I hope... Man... Christmas Eve and I expect a store to be open, hah!) so I'll actually be able to MUD...
I'm going nuts... I buy a new 1.3GHz from a 200MHz no-MMX, and I can't even MUD!! What's the point of such a killer system if I can't even play text-based games??
(BTW, that's AMD, not Intel... P4 suck... <nodme>

------------------
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Dec 24, 2001 3:05 pm

Ruagh:

I dont understand what your getting at after quoting the fun/unfun passage that I wrote. It was complete sarcasm aimed against the trend on this mud of zones being written exclusively for brute force groups, and for pre-existing zones being changed so that only brute force is required. I dont know how it really fits in with what you are trying to say.

Corth
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Dec 24, 2001 4:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Taegost:
<B> I'm picking up a new modem this afternoon (I hope... Man... Christmas Eve and I expect a store to be open, hah!) so I'll actually be able to MUD...
I'm going nuts... I buy a new 1.3GHz from a 200MHz no-MMX, and I can't even MUD!! What's the point of such a killer system if I can't even play text-based games??
(BTW, that's AMD, not Intel... P4 suck... <nodme>
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*cackle* Don't worry, you'll get sucked into getting a broadband connection soon enough Image

Oh, and yeah, that AMD chip rocks *nod nod*

[This message has been edited by rylan (edited 12-24-2001).]
Ruagh
Sojourner

Postby Ruagh » Tue Dec 25, 2001 8:19 am

Corth:

I'd suggest using tags [SARCASM] and [/SARCASM] then Image

Just get you wrong and thought that you were defending brute-force strategy which I GREATLY dislike.

------------------
Ruagh The Curious Troll pokes his long nose into another none-of-his-business matter here
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Wed Dec 26, 2001 9:04 am

[B]
Vadian - where you been, man, we haven't grouped in a whole two weeks or something :P Given the frequency with which we grouped, it's something of a surprise. Heh... we must do vault! *nogme*

B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya, I led a cautious vault the other night Image Only deaths were at Malice (3) Image Stoopid punk son of Strife!

I'll be playing prolly almost every night (USA time) starting Friday for about 9 days *cackle* minus maybe a couple in there for a vacation. Planning on zoning/xping my butt off Image

Vadian
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Wed Dec 26, 2001 12:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
<B> *cackle* Don't worry, you'll get sucked into getting a broadband connection soon enough Image

Oh, and yeah, that AMD chip rocks *nod nod*

[This message has been edited by rylan (edited 12-24-2001).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have one, but we're still trying to decide the best way to get the cable line into my room... So far, it only runs in the living room right now (Hehehe, we just got cable earlier this year, while I was living in Illinois and not home, but now I'm back... :>)
Never needed cable before I left, only person in the house that ever watches TV is my grandmother <chuckle>
Altho, my mother has agreed to do it, as a matter of fact, she seems more enthusiastic about it then I am (Which is rather shocking...)
But, ahhh... On topic... I like discovering new things... I don't mind dying as long as I don't lose a circle (Levels you can get back... Circles are just annoying, especially since I get Vit and Heal in 3 more levels :>)
That and I need some good equipment... Especially +Int... There's a reason for the title... It's bad! Literally, 50 Int nekkid... 80 with the mad +int caster eq I wear, or 52 with my tanking gear... Which is odd, because I can't find where the 2 is coming from! Image

------------------
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Dec 26, 2001 5:52 pm

Hehehee Image

Get a Linksys Cable/DSL router, and run ethernet to your computer. Or get the wireless version. Either way, you only have to stick the thing next to the cable modem, so no worries about getting the cable in odd places. Image
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Wed Dec 26, 2001 8:16 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
<B>Hehehee Image

Get a Linksys Cable/DSL router, and run ethernet to your computer. Or get the wireless version. Either way, you only have to stick the thing next to the cable modem, so no worries about getting the cable in odd places. Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehehe, DSL is what I'm shooting for, but where I live, I doubt many people have computers, let alone broadband connections... However, we DO have cable access, but no DSL (Or the other way around, I don't remember)
Dang... Any more ethernet wires and I really am going to have to setup that e-smith server software I've been dying to use... Image

------------------

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”