Insturments,Stutter, and Quality

Stuck? Have a question? Ask here!

Insturments,Stutter, and Quality

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:20 pm

ok so i've been getting more instruments in my quest for completeness. At first i assumed the lower the stutter the better. Asked around, Petitioned, and done some comparisons. I have the nightwood lyre and the TTF lyre here are the stats.

Name 'a brown lyre covered in blood'

Name 'the nightwood lyre'

*Please do not post item stats on the BBS. Thank you.*

The blood lyre is much more valuable it seems and the stutter is much higher.There is a min level on the nightwood tho so that made me think it was better because gods deemed it neccesary to put a level mark on it? So the question....anyone completely and positively sure about having higher or lower stutter?

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:11 pm

It should be fairly easy to test.

Each song has a fixed drain, when you fail a stuttercheck you get drained, when you succede you dont get the drain.

so sing 100 verses of a song, count how many % that drain, and how many verses that doesn't drain.

If low stutter would be best then the newbie instruments in game would be the best instruments available, thats why I would assume the higher the better.

/Disoputlip
sotana
Sojourner

Postby sotana » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:45 pm

I am absolutely, totally, completely, and in all ways sure that high stutter = GOOD! There has long been player confusion over this issue which is perpetuated when someone creates a zone and, sometimes not understanding that high stutter is good, creates an instrument with excellent quality and truly horrible stutter.

There was a time when one of the very best lyres around was the newbie yarting. It had 75 stutter and you could sing for days and days without getting hoarse. Since it was a newbie item bards loaded with, it was also transient so many bards lost it, dropping it the minute they found their first alternative to it, thinking it must be worthless since it was starting eq. :-P

As for the level limit on Nightwood lyre, I can see your logic but minimum level isn't a great guage for item uberness since some zonemakers really haven't cared about level limit and others have. It's just not used consistently enough on varying levels of eq to make it an accurate guage.

Re: Insturments,Stutter, and Quality

Postby Guest » Mon May 15, 2006 3:12 am

Anonymous wrote:Name 'the nightwood lyre'

Yes, the nightwood may be powerful, but you shall all cowar from the dastardly Morningwood!
Mertak
Sojourner

Postby Mertak » Mon May 15, 2006 11:36 pm

I remember when stutter/quality were added, and there was a news item specifically to say that the higher the better for both. Also, I have noticed a difference, especially with the more challenging and draining songs.

The higher the quality/stutter, the better.

Cheers,

Mertie, et al.

Return to “NHC: New Player Help”