New Player

Stuck? Have a question? Ask here!
Xertes
Sojourner

New Player

Postby Xertes » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:23 pm

Hello!
I am a new player to the world of Toril, and was wondering what a good race/class would be for a *sigh* newb. I am not new to the world of mudding, *spend many years playing Duris* but I know every mud is different.
Any helpful hints would greatly be appreciated. :D
Auril
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Auril » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:23 pm

I haven't played much of Duris so I can't compare the two. However, I recommend you take a look at the Toril 2.0 discussions - things are going to be changing soon, and you might want to choose differently based on what's coming. :)
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:01 pm

Welcome, always nice to see new players find the forums.

Personally, I would suggest playing whichever type of mage tickles your fancy. If you can get up to start questing spells now, it might be beneficial once 2.0 comes in to already have those done. We're still not sure exactly how everything will work, but I think mages are going to be pretty neat with specializations.

Enchanters are always needed, Illusionists are great too and fun, invokers are needed but a tad boring at the moment, and elementalists are fun but hard to get into groups at high levels.

The dyanmics will completely change when 2.0 comes in (no date set yet so you've got time.)
Xertes
Sojourner

Postby Xertes » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:29 pm

Thanks for the tips!
How about shamans? Are they needed/any good?
And what about races? My ptimes will be around 7:30 p.m CST til around 11 or 12 depending whats going on.
What would be best to roll up a goodie or evil? Would kind of like at least a little help starting out and was wondering what would be best for my ptimes?

Thanks again for your help.
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:59 pm

Shamans are great and always needed.. race choices are either barbarian for goodies or ogre troll and orc for evils..
Not sure how they will be after 2.0 comes in, but right now.. lvl 41 shamans are always needed for zone groups.. and you get your spirit at lvl 21.

If you decide shaman and need any questions answered in game send me a tell.. I'll help best I can. And welcome to Toril :)
"A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, and continues a friend unchangeably." - William Penn
" I"m built for comfort not for speed. " - Carl on Jimmy Neutron.
alendar
Sojourner

Postby alendar » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:05 am

from what i understand about duris shamans... (never did duris)

some spells arent going to do what you think they will...

make sure you read all the spell descriptions...

you will also notice some of the duris spells missing i believe
Alendar -= The Black Ash of the Phoenix =-
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=244
Hador group-says 'Inames I think you are the only person on the mud who shouldn't talk about Cofen sucking'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:18 pm

Basically Toril and Duris are based loosely on 2ed DnD, and with Toril 2.0 we will see a shift to 3.5 DnD.

Shaman is great for both soloing and group work, so it's a solid choice. The main problem comes with the fact that you start way out in the middle of nowhere on the goodrace side of things (all evilraces start in somewhat inconvenient places, like Ghore or Faang, so that's less of a big deal.)

IIRC Duris has more agros running around, so I suppose the typical evilrace problem of newbies not expecting agro mobs is not going to be a factor here.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Xertes
Sojourner

Postby Xertes » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:58 pm

I havn't made my decesion quite yet, but I'm leaning towards either a Grey Enchanter, or a Troll Shaman.
Only problem I see with an enchanter is that I don't know the mud *yet* and finding the teacher to scribe/practice I know from experience can be a big pain in the butt :x .
Thank you all for your input, and hopefully Cox Cable will get their sh*$ together tonite and fix my internet connect problem.
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:43 pm

Actually as an Enchanter it isn't hard to train/scribe. Not any ahrder than any other calss. :)

The only difficulty, as all mage classes have them, would be getting your quest spells. But even then there are always others that are willing to help you get them. Glad to see another face around, welcome to Toril :)
Last edited by Minofagal on Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'
--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:44 pm

Xertes wrote:a Troll Shaman.

I don't recommend troll shaman. ghore is a pain to get out of if you don't know the path and/or you're not fast enough. Faang is a really simple hometown to figure out, and it's not too far from Viperstongue. While, regen for trolls and good AC seems like a win-win for a shaman, you have to remember that for the most part Ogre shamans can't be bashed except by giant sized mobs.
Elet
Sojourner

Postby Elet » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:43 am

Raiwen wrote:
Xertes wrote:a Troll Shaman.

I don't recommend troll shaman. ghore is a pain to get out of if you don't know the path and/or you're not fast enough. Faang is a really simple hometown to figure out, and it's not too far from Viperstongue. While, regen for trolls and good AC seems like a win-win for a shaman, you have to remember that for the most part Ogre shamans can't be bashed except by giant sized mobs.

nother reason you should reconsider your troll shaman is...

troll loves to sing the song burning man...
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:19 pm

troll isnt bad for the regen, dont bother about the fire aspects you wont tank much as a shaman (MUCH) , some consider orc the better evil shaman, great starter evil class in my opinion .. and any lvl 1 troll can get out of ghore easily now .. ask around before you attempt it I am QUITE sure most anyone can help you!

but

OGRE

is where its at!

[41 Sha] Ambar "sits on ass praying a LOT" Squish Squid (Ogre)

Expect horrendous pray times and crappy AC cause of the agility factor but so much fun :) Door bash for the WIN! Ambar used to be lvl 50, but I rerolled her for stats .. at lvl 50, a 10th circle spell is 15 sdeconds to pray when sitting naked after a death in Faang guild ... whee!!

random group leader group-says 'quick mem'
you group-say 'riiight .. say that again and i word!'

If you do enjoy pet classes, I find the elementalist sooo much fun! And yuant-i hometown is a pain in the keester, but .. they get NEAT pets :)

Look me up sometime and I will run you thru the snakey pets ..

Aerisia/Tasira/Alieshi/Ambar/Shalia is who I am most on as .. and my snake mentalist is Zissa

Essentially any class thats needed might not be one you ENJOY .. if you dont enjoy it you wont be as good at it, just like Duris .. Ultras here dont suffer daytime pain like on Duris .. they are merely dayblind .. which we all know is oober in most cases!

Anyway, welcome, and have fun!!

-Jennifer
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:00 pm

I would steer clear of enchanter for now. My reason being that enchanters have a very difficult exp table. After the shift to Toril 2.0 that everyone's discussing that may be a different story. But for now, enchanters have the worst exp table out of all of the classes--that can be tedious and annoying, especially for a beginner.

As with what others have said, if you catch me ingame, feel free to ask for help.

Birile Mightymouth, 50 Halfling Bard
Sunlireal, 50 Grey Elf Elementalist
Biron Bittertone, 46 Orc Battlechanter
Iqhas, 41 Drow Necromancer
Teshidee
Sojourner

Postby Teshidee » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:24 pm

i also wouldn't recommend enchanter unless you (like myself!) love being the only one really working with spellcycling in groups!

yeah, i'm aware the other spelluppers do, too, but it really is not the same, imo good chanting does not allow for breaks unless you really know your zones and your group's really good, too. which is not that likely these days. sorry guys!

invoker is easy as pie, difficult to be really good, but not really possible to be horrid. only downside is that you have to find groups to do exp with, also feel vokers tend to die a whole lot for spellcasters.

shaman is decent, but vewwy slow on the damage side. your pet rocks though. would pick orc shaman though for the memtimes if you plan on going evil.

elementalist is great if you like soloing, thanks to your pets and the chance to heal yourself a bit they're really really nice allrounders - not very asked for in zonegroups though. lookin at the pbase these days you will get a decent chance to zone anyways.

troll warrior seems to be easy to get to zonelevel, too - personally never played any melee classes though.

btw, i think we have a cleric shortage. *G* pick human evil and zone with goodies and ebils! and that would be the only real recommendation i'd make for your first and thistime only char: human evil. that way you have the most chances at grouping and zoning - no hanging around alone cause all your friends switched sides to go zone!

hope you get to enjoy the game. have fun!
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:01 pm

Echoing the "pick a human" sentiment since you are trying to decide between goodie and evil. Thats a major difference between Duris/Toril in that you can see/talk to everyone, but you can't group with both sides unless you're a neutral human. (Stay away from antipaladin though since there's so many and they really aren't all that great to begin with)
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:31 am

just an fyi... you can be an evil human and group with goodies too..

Teshidee
Sojourner

Postby Teshidee » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:14 pm

that's what we said, mino. *ruffle*
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:25 pm

bonk self! just re-read the posts, what was i think? rofl

Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:45 pm

Enchanters - PAINFUL (even with pleveling) XP tables.. but FUN once you get your last circle of spells for soloing stuff! I smite stuff with mine I never thought I'd be able to do. Its really hard work in a zone group though which is why my enchanter is anon and most likely always will be... I don't play her well with lots of others. I keep trying to slide into invoker mode.

Invokers - Gets damage xp like mad. Possessing abosolutely nothing for defensive spells, they are fragile. I call them the disposable mage class cus they die ALOT.

Necros - a pain to level til you get the hang of it and some of the pretty toys available for the class. I've managed to pass Eya for deaths with my necro though. Takes lots of practice, and I've seen some necros do some really incredible things. Vamp touch helps them heal, but they can be pretty delicate w/o much in the way of buff spells.

Elementalists - I only have a baby one, but I've watched a couple of really good ones in action alot. Easily the best class for soloing with their pets to keep things busy, their ability to blind, the damage their spells do, and the healing they get with embody spells.

Illusionists - They have some fun spells.. there are also some zones where having one is practically a must. Again, mine is a baby, so I'm not really familiar with it.

If I had to go in order of zone faves.. I'd say Invoker and bard. Soloing would be enchanter, necro and sometimes druid, though she's not real big.

Welcome to Torilmud and hope you enjoy your stay with us. :-)
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:35 am

wow :) wish i woulda posted earlier heh.. I have a good bit of playtime in my belt from duris too.. and honestly theres not that many differences between the two.. theres a few big ones. you cant stack spells if you fail the slot is gone.. theres no map. and.. well that's it really besides that most of all of the stuff is exactly the same.. as for class.. id go human if you want the simplest introduction to the game. neutral and evil humans can group with anyone aka evils or goods so it leaves you open to xp or zone with both sides.
Mirlantharn
Sojourner

Postby Mirlantharn » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:12 am

Xertes,

If I'm on anytime when you are, and you picked a grey elf, send me a tell. I'll try to lend some help on the Isle, because of the issue of there being a particular lack of a good sized group of elves upon the Isle "growing up".

I'm not sure exactly when I can make it online for mudding. Sometime around next week, I'm thinking, and most likely after 7pm Eastern, until assuridly before 10pm.

If you make an evil, well.... Um... Good luck to ya. *tease* :)

Mirlantharn
Chad
Sojourner

Re: New Player

Postby Chad » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:47 am

I am a new how to use sizegenetics player in the world of torilmud

Return to “NHC: New Player Help”